• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Pila

So I just got back from Bestbuy to try the demo. It's really great, samus controls right on par with zero mission, except improved. The counter is definitely not broken, you need to have very specific timing for it. I think they did a good job of balancing.

Overall it's very impressive, and the visuals are a lot better in person.

Nice to hear!

We needed a 2 remake, but next they need to start a Metroid 5.

They are gonna remake all of the 2D ones first though. We're gonna get a remake of Super Metroid on Switch then Fusion, and Zero Mission (a remake of the remake). It will all lead into a remake of Other M, where Sakamoto, eager for redemption, will redo the entire game in a new vision. Then, we get Metroid 5.
After a 10 year hiatus because Other M kills the series, again.

I'm so glad to see we're back to the proper purple Gravity Suit. I was prepared for Sakamoto to fuck it up again and give us the stupid Other M aura.

I don't know who it is who is reigning him in this time, but props to them. Or props to him if he actually took the criticisms of Other M to heart, I guess, but that seems almost too good to be true. :p
And, I mean, he still gave Samus' suit dumb little heels for no reason, so

https://twitter.com/andresegers/status/902589017748672512

DIajxqAVYAAKW2D

Why does the back of the box have Samus's ship from Zero Mission?

That's one of the images presented in the game's prologue which recaps the events of Zero Mission.

That's awesome! I wonder if you unlock the original game once you beat it. That's what Zero Mission did.

Not happening in the era of the Virtual Console, lol.

The UK special edition of this game does include a download code for the original Metroid 2 on VC, so there's that.

Nerrel

They are gonna remake all of the 2D ones first though. We're gonna get a remake of Super Metroid on Switch then Fusion, and Zero Mission (a remake of the remake). It will all lead into a remake of Other M, where Sakamoto, eager for redemption, will redo the entire game in a new vision. Then, we get Metroid 5.
After a 10 year hiatus because Other M kills the series, again.

I know you're kind of joking but we really don't need remakes of those games. Metroid I and II were very dated games that didn't quite have the hardware to realize the potential the series had. Super Metroid was that breakout game that finally nailed it, and it plays perfectly fine even today. It's aged less than any other game I can think of.

Zero Mission brought the original up to that same standard and Fusion is basically at the same level of playablity. Metroid II was really the odd one out after that, being the only 2D entry that didn't reflect the post-Super Metroid level of quality. Now that they've addressed that, all the 2D games have a version that plays extremely well by modern standards. You can say that the pixel art is a little clunky, especially in the GBA games, but that would be the only reason to remake them, and they still look pretty cool regardless.

Super Metroid is one game you don't want to fuck up. A modern 2.5D remake would most likely be barf inducing. Their time would be much better spent on something new.

Ah, I was about to ask about that. For a second I thought they were fucking up the Super Metroid ship design by making it more like the lame Zero Mission ship.

Because this is essentially the sequel to Zero Mission? Although, I guess it should technically resemble the ship from Metroid Prime 3? Unless the ship in Prime 4 ends up looking like that.

The Zero Mission ship was shot down at the end of that game and if we're counting the Prime trilogy then Samus would have stopped using it anyway. More importantly, Samus goes immediately from the ending of Metroid II to Ceres station at the start of Super Metroid, so the ships in both games have to be identical.

Nerrel

New Japanese trailer showing off the abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Qevm28E40

Kinda surprised and also a little disappointed that the Speed Booster doesn't seem to be included in this game.

I'm fine with that. I was a little disappointed that Zero Mission "Super Metroid-ed" the game and made everything the same as Super (even the boss fights). It seems like the time slowing ability is taking the place of the speed booster in this game, which is more interesting to me. It's nice to get something new instead of the exact same thing we've had in four other games.

It was probably excluded for technical reasons, but we've had so many games with speed boosters and this is shaking things up with new abilities.

It's honestly the first 2D Metroid since Super that is really shaking up the formula.

RagnarokX

Ah, I was about to ask about that. For a second I thought they were fucking up the Super Metroid ship design by making it more like the lame Zero Mission ship.

The Zero Mission ship was shot down at the end of that game and if we're counting the Prime trilogy then Samus would have stopped using it anyway. More importantly, Samus goes immediately from the ending of Metroid II to Ceres station at the start of Super Metroid, so the ships in both games have to be identical.

Yeah, I figured it was a recap of ZM because that planet is Zebes, not SR388.

zaZyeE2.png

SR388

OH5rrUF.jpg

Zebes

TheMoon

How do I get this thing on a EU 3DS?

Buy it on the 3DS Theme Shop once it is released, like any other theme. It'll probably be a freebie with the eShop version of the game, like usual.

3 months ago people thought Metroid was dead. Now we are getting a badass looking Metroid in only 2 weeks.

But in reality, Nintendo secretly hates Metroid, as we all know! With all their heart. Especially the guy who made it. Yaarrr so much hate!

Pila

Buy it on the 3DS Theme Shop once it is released, like any other theme. It'll probably be a freebie with the eShop version of the game, like usual.

Thank you. I was wondering if it was a My Nintendo thing or something else.

Pretty excited about the game, and I tell you more: I do feel like playing some 3DS, sorry haters. =P

daakusedo

I know we have to save metroid and all but damn at no speedbooster, that's what was pushing the intricacies to the next level.
Even am2r have it.

DKPOWPOW

Pre ordered special edition yesterday (along with Mario Odyssey). Can't wait, been way too long since Prime 3. Needs me some Metroid in my life and no, Other M didn't cut it.

All it cut was my soul. I still burn with rage knowing they purposely put pixel hunts in a Metroid game. I thought it was a fucking glitch. All those hours I wasted. Sakamoto, it is time to redeem yourself.

gardfish

Man, I preordered the standard edition because I didn't really feel the need for the soundtrack CD, but I am really considering paying the extra $10 for that reversible cover, lol.

One thing to note, I believe this is the first 2D Metroid to include the grapple beam since Super all the way back in 1994. Fusion and Zero Mission didn't have it.

Top Bottom