• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft also shut down departments dedicated to bringing Xbox games to physical retail

Papa_Wisdom

Side note, how is the Zone of the Enders HD set? I’ve been buying lots of BC 360 titles since I got my Xbox last year and have been tempted by that one a few times.
Played ok from what I remember. Was a fair while ago I played it last. Actually think the ps3 version is better as it was patched up. Whereas the Xbox 360 version wasn’t.

Also got a rerelease on PS4 with vr support I think.

Killjoy-NL

Physical is going away eventually, the writing is on the wall. I was at best buy the other day and each console had very small space.
Something people tend to forget, is that online shopping has become normal.
A large part of physical sales in stores decreasing has to do with people buying product online.

This article mentions that 72% of physical game sales in UK were purchased online in 2021:

"While the amount of digital and physical game sales is still reasonably even, more consumers are purchasing their physical games online. In 2020, 70 percent of physical games were purchased online in comparison to 72 percent in 2021. This aligns with the Entertainment Retailer’s Association’s chart showing the decrease in brick-and-mortar stores selling games since 2017."

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sony warriors out in full force today. Can't even talk about blue ray movies being down.
Pathetic.
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Didn’t PC prove that digital is the way forward over decade ago now? I just don’t understand what’s taking so long for consoles to do the same, I understand that they are generally behind the curve but this is simply taking way too long.

PC = publisher games stores + official key stores + shady key stores -> price competition

Console = locked garden -> no price competition

One is not like the other.

DavJay

Just got back from Walmart and target and the Xbox section is dead. Like a row of 10 games and that’s it. The switch and ps5 are also small but they are at least 6 to 8 times bigger than Xbox.

MrA

PC = publisher games stores + official key stores + shady key stores -> price competition

games also don't have awful DRM on disc that was as restrictive or in some cases more restrictive than digital,I think people are how bad drm was on the pc before steam

Physical is going away eventually, the writing is on the wall. I was at best buy the other day and each console had very small space.
what's the zip code of the store, you can see what games are in stock in the store online,
Best Buys tend to have 100 switch games and about 80 PlayStation games in stock at any given time, you couldn't potentially be lying now, could you?

Something people tend to forget, is that online shopping has become normal.
A large part of physical sales in stores decreasing has to do with people buying product online.

This article mentions that 72% of physical game sales in UK were purchased online in 2021:

"While the amount of digital and physical game sales is still reasonably even, more consumers are purchasing their physical games online. In 2020, 70 percent of physical games were purchased online in comparison to 72 percent in 2021. This aligns with the Entertainment Retailer’s Association’s chart showing the decrease in brick-and-mortar stores selling games since 2017."

many companies use their stores as distribution centers now, it probably isn't as necessary in European countries because of the smaller size and denser populations, but dropping physical games instore would make distribution more difficult.

demigod

Didn’t PC prove that digital is the way forward over decade ago now? I just don’t understand what’s taking so long for consoles to do the same, I understand that they are generally behind the curve but this is simply taking way too long.
Says he’s a pc gamer yet doesn’t understand why it worked for PC and not consoles. Fake ass pc gamer.

S0ULZB0URNE

Wonder what everyone is going to do when sony reveals the real.master plan on the detachable optical drive, shipping only units without out it. Then, a couple years later, phases out the optical drive. Will everyone turn in sony?

Also this talk about "another" console company to come in and "save" us from the evil ms, just exactly what exclusive games would they have to compete with sony?
I mean if Apple, Google, and Amazon where to join forces and unleash the best console the earth has ever seen, it would still have zero exclusive games and die a slow painful death.
Make a console that comes with a drive and add the option to make your model that doesn't have a drive be able to add a drive...

But the "master plan" is to sell these consoles without drives?

ede.gif

There is cope and theirs crazy talk.

Topher

Gold Member

Open vs closed systems. Console manfucturers have tighter controls over the platform and the media and so there is less risk involved. Just has never been the case with open systems like PC and so the move to digital-based DRM was picked up at a quicker pace.

Personally doesn’t affect me. I’ve only bought digital downloads since beginning of PS4 era. I don’t plan to bury physical copies with me when I die.
It would be good to keep as long as we are here though. kind of like how now people play snes games from back then and its cause they own the game game and isnt at the mercy of a server if they can replay it,etc. Also lots of money wasted and less value,etc

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah. Sony is going to take a hit because they own the Blu-ray format.

I am not totally ok with everything going digital. It gives other people too much control.

They can easily lock away your games. I actually had that happen on an Xbox One.

Why are a lot of Xbox nation so dishonest? Misinformation, Sonytoo, and straight up lies, is all you usually get out of any discussion with them.

Console wars use to be fun with memes and funny back and forth banter. Now all we do is spend our time correcting all the lies, propaganda, and the sychophantic executive worshipping from a pathetic fanbase.

Last edited:

Beechos

My Target Xbox section is still full including three Xbox 360 systems. They have sold one of the 360s since last week. No joke.
You sure those aren't the lego xbox 360s I can't believe there's 360s out in the wild at big chain stores.

reinking

Gold Member
You sure those aren't the lego xbox 360s I can't believe there's 360s out in the wild at big chain stores.

I will have to double check. They had them wire locked so I did not pick one up. It would make more sense. 😜

MS to make an external Ultra-Blu Ray Rewritable/Readable Disk Drive connection via USB that can connect to your non-optical disk Xbox Series S|X and future Xbox consoles as well as connect to your PC confirmed (not really).

I understand that very well, I meant it from a practical standpoint it has been working fine on PC for a very long time and no one is complaining.

If Sony forced digital only what do you think will happen? There will be a few boomer cries for a year or two and then everyone will forget and we can move on from this archaic nonsense.
Your argument doesn't make sense because PC and console are fundamentally different.

PC is one continuous hardware platform. PC doesn't have "generations" nor does it have a single locked down store which can shut down anytime. The Steam you ran in 2001 is the same Steam today in 2024. It will not shut down like the stores on old generations of consoles and handhelds. It will remain operating, carrying the same games, indefinitely or until you die of old age. Furthermore, there are stores which specialize in archiving old games (GOG) that Steam doesn't have because they pre-date Steam. There are also alternative stores which are niche like Epic and Microsoft Store.

Consoles have generations and old console stores will shut down, making the games inaccessible unless you own physical copies. The stores themselves may delist or remove games for any reason with no consequence to them and no alternative for you since you must use the store that the console has no and no other.

Sony and Nintendo will not force digital because they exist outside the US unlike Xbox where physical is still 70% of sales.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

I could buy two second-hand 360s at my local resell shop for what they're charging for that Lego Xbox 360.

DaGwaphics

At this moment most official key stores and shady key stores also have Xbox keys. And retailers have independent pricing on the Xbox keys, so you do get some price competition there.

DeVeAn

It would be good to keep as long as we are here though. kind of like how now people play snes games from back then and its cause they own the game game and isnt at the mercy of a server if they can replay it,etc. Also lots of money wasted and less value,etc
I don’t mind physical media being an option. If it didn’t I just wouldn’t care is all.

angrod14

The whole "PC is an open plataform, has different stores" argument to defend digital distribution on PC while trashing it on console is one of the biggest fallacies I've ever read.

The PC market is practically a Steam monopoly. The "other" stores are virtually no competition to Steam. In some cases, they actually worsen the experience because they force you to use a different launcher that can be super shitty. Alan Wake 2 for example can only be acquired through the Epic Store, and is reliant to its servers to be up to even play. Recently they went down for days and people weren't even able to play the game they purchased.

Steam has the exact same distribution EULA terms as the console makers. It's exactly the same. "Oh no but they actually went out and said that if someday they go down they promise to make all the games DRM free to people", really? Did they wrote that on their terms? Until then it's pure PR bullshit.

I'll argue that if you somehow make physical games for PC today with console standards (playable on disc, transferable, etc.), the model would completely fail. People will keep purchasing their games on Steam. Even if that means they don't get to "own" their games. And that's because Steam was able to be reliable and stable in maintaining their digital library.

If Valve, which is a microbe as a company when compared to Sony, MS and Nintendo, was able to pull off a steady digital distribution system, I have no doubts these last three companies will be able to manage the same.

My point is, sooner or later consoles are going to be all digital, and things are gonna be FINE. It's not going to be this dystopian, post-apocalyptic, lovecraftian, orwellian, nuclear-wintered future you imagine for your games. RELAX.

Last edited:

GHG

The whole "PC is an open plataform, has different stores" argument to defend digital distribution on PC while trashing it on console is one of the biggest fallacies I've ever read.

The PC market is practically a Steam monopoly. The "other" stores are virtually no competition to Steam.

Stopped reading at the bold.

You don't know what you're talking about. The other stores people are referring to are not what you think they are. What a mess of a post.

//DEVIL//

I find it amazing how a simple logic can be so hard on some people to understand..

Xbox physical is dead because MS killed it. When you release game pass and release the program where you can buy an Xbox game online and play it on PC, then no need to buy it physical.

Retailers are not selling Xbox physical games because MS is killing it. Not because people moving on to digital

Blue ray movies are not same level as games. 20$ movie to own is not 70$. And that 20$ movie is in my library I can play anywhere I want. Doesn't apply to consoles.

With that being said.MS going all digital is a very risky move and they are minimizing their Mind share . There are still GameStop and other stores . Best buy is not getting rid of PlayStation physical media or switch. When someone goes to a store. And not see an Xbox sign but some hardware boxes.. who the fuck gonna buy that ?

I really sometimes like to vote for the underdog . MS was one... But if the dog is stupid... Fuck it lol

Last edited:

MikeM

I find it amazing how hard some people can find a simple logic.

Xbox physical is dead because MS killed it. When you release game pass and release the program where you can buy an Xbox game online and play it on PC, then no need to buy it physical.

Retailers are not selling Xbox physical games because MS is killing it. Not because people moving on to digital.

Blue ray movies are not same level as games. 20$ movie to own is not 70$. And that 20$ movie is in my library I can play anywhere I want. Doesn't apply to consoles.

With that being said.MS going all digital is a very risky move and they are minimizing their Mindshare . There are still GameSpot and other stores . Best buy is not getting rid of PlayStation physical media or switch. When someone goes to a store. And not see an Xbox sign but some hardware boxes.. who the fuck gonna buy that ?

I really sometimes like to vote for the underdog . MS was one... But if the dog is stupid... Fuck it lol
Funny thing is that bluray movies usually have codes to redeem for digital versions as well lol

Topher

Gold Member

The PC market is practically a Steam monopoly. The "other" stores are virtually no competition to Steam. In some cases, they actually worsen the experience because they force you to use a different launcher that can be super shitty. Alan Wake 2 for example can only be acquired through the Epic Store, and is reliant to its servers to be up to even play. Recently they went down for days and people weren't even able to play the game they purchased.

Steam has the exact same distribution EULA terms as the console makers. It's exactly the same. "Oh no but they actually went out and said that if someday they go down they promise to make all the games DRM free to people", really? Did they wrote that on their terms? Until then it's pure PR bullshit.

I'll argue that if you somehow make physical games for PC today with console standards (playable on disc, transferable, etc.), the model would completely fail. People will keep purchasing their games on Steam. Even if that means they don't get to "own" their games. And that's because Steam was able to be reliable and stable in maintaining their digital library.

If Valve, which is a microbe as a company when compared to Sony, MS and Nintendo, was able to pull off a steady digital distribution system, I have no doubts these last three companies will be able to manage the same.

My point is, sooner or later consoles are going to be all digital, and things are gonna be FINE. It's not going to be this dystopian, post-apocalyptic, lovecraftian, orwellian, nuclear-wintered future you imagine for your games. RELAX.

Eh.....if it were up to me then I'd jump all over physical Steam games were it a thing. Regardless, who is trashing digital on console again? When it comes to digital vs physical debates, the discussion is never about removing the option of digital purchases/downloads. It is all about the physical side of the equation. So I don't get your take on that or why you are dragging Steam and PC into it.

And no, the PC market is not a Steam monopoly. Come on. All those launchers that you say "worsen the experience" are direct competition to Steam. Struggling to make sense of your post my man.

Last edited:

Toons

I find it amazing how a simple logic can be so hard on some people to understand..

Retailers are not selling Xbox physical games because MS is killing it. Not because people moving on to digital

Both can be true. Theyve absolutely been pushing in this direction but its been long apparent that it is going in this direction sooner or late regardless.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member

Then why don’t regulators do something useful for once and force these companies to sell digital console keys on open markets like PC? I mean they’re obviously capable of doing it … Then you can go into a store buy physical or digital if you prefer and the consumer wins.

//DEVIL//

Both can be true. Theyve absolutely been pushing in this direction but its been long apparent that it is going in this direction sooner or late regardless.
Yeah .. maybe.. but Physical isn't dying in 2024.. this is just some damage control from xbox fans.

the same principle of " this game is not coming to my system ---> this game sucks anyway i don't need it "

Xbox games not selling well at retailers so they are clearing space for something that sells --- > physical is dying.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I dunno if that image and info were fake or not, but the supposed updated Series X had no disc drive. Even if things were going well for them right now, they were planning on killing physical in 2024. Unless all that was bullshit than disregard what I just said.

Topher

Gold Member
Then why don’t regulators do something useful for once and force these companies to sell digital console keys on open markets like PC? I mean they’re obviously capable of doing it … Then you can go into a store buy physical or digital if you prefer and the consumer wins.

Lawmakers would have to create laws giving regulators the ability to do that. They may be able to in some places like EU. Not sure. Damn sure don't have the power to do that in the US.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
You can buy digital codes for Nintendo and Xbox games at retail. However, it's only a subset of games that are available on their store fronts. That happens on platforms like Steam too, but far less frequently. Sony used to offer digital codes at retail but discontinued that a few years ago.

Outside of Nintendo, I'm no too concerned with the plug being pulled on digital libraries. And with PlayStation and Xbox, most of those games are going to end up on PC anyway.

And until Microsoft and Sony's refund policies are equal to that of Steam, I'd like physical media to stick around as that's the next best option.

Last edited:
A transferable license. Until platform holders allow us to transfer licenses, I am buying discs. I don’t care if any game data is on this disc at this point. I simply want to retain the right to lend/gift/sell the game.
A transferable license? Transferable to what or whom?

Are you deeply familiar with each platform holders/publishers/developers EULA or terms of use/service?

A software license in gaming, right now means jack shit. We own nothing but paid a premium to use the mentioned license until the platform holder/publisher/developer says otherwise.

Servers shut down all the time.

Top Bottom