• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft gathering community opinions on porting Killer Instinct to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomjom

Banned
You know that if you want to play these games on PC, then you need to have Windows right? Microsoft will have you in their ecosystem one way or another.

I think most people are in the Windows ecosystem with or without the games. I mean except for the Linux weirdos.

scitek

It seems like a poll to stop the forum from being flooded with port beg requests rather than something official.

If it genuinely leads to something, that's great, but gauging interest in a PC port doesn't seem like something that they'd limit to just the forum. If it shows up in a survey, then it's time to get excited.

I don't think so, because he went out of his way to restrict the poll so results can't be seen for 30 days in an effort keep it honest. It seems like he's genuinely interested in the results.

EDIT: I don't think porting all Xbox One games to PC is a huge deal, especially when they come a year or more later. Microsoft has a goal of unifying the Windows platform, and this goes toward that effort. The people that would've bought it on Xbox One will still buy it there because there still is, and always will be, a large number of people that prefer the simplified experience of a console to that of a PC.

Foffy

Banned
I'd be down, if only because if a game is on PC, you're very likely going to get hands down the most technically impressive version of the game.

No idea if they'd go through the whole way, as I can't really think of a major fighter that has held up well on PC with its ecosystem over say, a console. I think this is why Street Fighter V has cross-platform play in mind: if anything, it saves the PC version from ever being a wasteland.

RK9039

BLOODBORNE WE COMING FOR YOU NEXT.

giphy.gif

;P

yoplay

Weird because in the "has Sony always been this cool about PC game?" thread , you had people bragging how Sony has more games on the PC than MS" and lamenting how "MS treats the PC as a competitor" Now in this thread you have comments like "one more reason not to own an xbox" ( funny as they are just taking a survey and nothing been announced but ok) so is this a positive thing or negative thing?

It's just that you people are so inconsistent that it gets kinda confusing sometimes. Oh and i don't see a problem with KI on the PC. Add crossplay and i welcome PC guys to get their asses kicked by me and my Orchid whenever!

+1

The same AAA blockbusters that are scoffed at when they r exclusive to consoles are cheered and considered definitive when they arrive on PC. I just can't keep up with the inconsistency.

abadguy

Banned
Could be cool. I think MS would love to build the playerbase for KI. If they make it cross platform, even better!

Maybe if it gets even more popular they think about increasing the budget for it a bit. Wasn't there talk about doing that before anyway?

Gamer345

Banned
Wait a second, quick question, do you think that KI coming to PC devalues the reason to get a Xbone?

For me it does, why pick up an Xbox One if its exclusives are going to PC?? You can use a Xbox pad on the PC, PC produces better fidelity and you can get the game cheap on places like steam, lets add that to the fact I can use my PC for its other tasks while gaming on it

derExperte

+1

The same AAA blockbusters that are scoffed at when they r exclusive to consoles are cheered and considered definitive when they arrive on PC. I just can't keep up with the inconsistency.

Please provide links to a few instances where the same person first scoffs at a game and then cheers when it gets announced for PC.

My point is that when I say prominent, I mean year end list games.

Lists by whom? Don't confuse single gaming sites or forums like NeoGAF with the whole gaming world.

balohna

Was this really a necessary comment?

Well, it's a legitimate thought to have. Even putting all fanboy bullshit aside, if you own a PC and a lot of good XBO exclusives come to it eventually... why would you buy an XBO? The only real reasons I can think of are if you love the features of the console or your friends play on Live.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
KI is one of two XBone games I want. I am not going to buy an XBone just for that.

Microsoft should be able to recognize there are a lot of guys like me, and thus they need to:
1) Make XBone an attractive platform as a whole to grab guys like me.
2) For lack of doing that, sell me the game I want on the platform I already have in the meantime.

I mean fuck, if Windows 10 is to Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to Vista, they could even use KI as a tool to push me over the upgrade fence.

_Ryo_

To expand on my first thought, if console holders really don't feel like that they're competing with PCs why not release all their big games on PC?

Nintendo should port Mario Kart to PC.
Sony should port Uncharted to PC.
Microsoft should have Halo 5 on PC.

This benefits everyone, the people that want a "it just works system" will have a console and those who wish to push more out of their gaming with better resolutions and frame-rates will build the ultimate PCs. The console holders will make money from PC sales as well as console sales.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
+1

Weird because in the "has Sony always been this cool about PC game?" thread , you had people bragging how Sony has more games on the PC than MS" and lamenting how "MS treats the PC as a competitor" Now in this thread you have comments like "one more reason not to own an xbox" ( funny as they are just taking a survey and nothing been announced but ok) so is this a positive thing or negative thing?

It's just that you people are so inconsistent that it gets kinda confusing sometimes. Oh and i don't see a problem with KI on the PC. Add crossplay and i welcome PC guys to get their asses kicked by me and my Orchid whenever!

Are those same people in both threads?

If so, great. Let's see those posts.

If not? We'll wish you well in your future endeavours.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Would hold me over until SFV drops, and I would buy it, but I still can't bring myself to sign up for that vintage 2002 looking message board and vote.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think most people are in the Windows ecosystem with or without the games. I mean except for the Linux weirdos.

Hence, why they probably don't see an issue with putting their games on PC.

If Microsoft could get their ecosystem integration going the way Apple does, they'd really be able to increase sales of their lesser selling products like Lumias and Surfaces.

People pay for Microsoft products on PC?

ohyou.jpeg

.la1n

Assuming it would be cross platform play then this would mean a larger community and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The more people who can experience the game the better.

abadguy

Banned
Well, it's a legitimate thought to have. Even putting all fanboy bullshit aside, if you own a PC and a lot of good XBO exclusives come to it eventually... why would you buy an XBO? The only real reasons I can think of are if you love the features of the console or your friends play on Live.

I own a PC and so does many others. Doesn't mean we game on it. Just sayin. Xbox games have been on the PC in the past and it didn't seem to have a lot of effect on sales of the xbox or xbox versions of games. Which begs the question, does xbox games also being on PC actually matter as much as "certain people on forums" would have you believe?

I'm thinking not really. If it were the case, Sony of all companies might be wary of allowing a big exclusive get like SFV still be on the PC. Yet ( much like MS) they emphasize that it is "console exclusive.

vg260

The more people that can play this game the better, but let's be real. It's not the greatest move for the actual console. Continuing the expectation that every MS exclusive will eventually be on PC weakens any reason to get it. Especially when there isn't the same expectation for their closest competition.

Possibly, but this case may be an exception. The SFV thing throws a wrench into the situation. I think PS4 getting Ultra and SFV has lessened the chance people will buy an Xbox One system just to play KI. The already niche audience that wants to play this plus the SF games has less incentive to invest in an Xbox now It's also a game that won't allow them to use their current gen sticks, which adds to the price of entry. Also the community aspect is important.

Is it amazing or is it the only decent fighting games on the current gen at the moment.

It is a very different fighting game. I like a number of fighting games, but this has very unique gameplay, a very different rythym from say streetfighter or KOF. It also can be much more fair given the whole combo breaker system.

danmaku

The main reason would be that you like the console ecosystem and don't want to play on PC. And there's a lot of people that don't want to play on their PC, just check all the "why are you not playing on PC?" threads on GAF.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't mind as long as they:

- finish the x1 version first

- fix the damn loading

Fucking this.

I fucking HATE that the character select screen takes 13 years to load your character. I mean, seriously, how hard can it be to have them appear almost instantly? They're not loading off a disc.

Baleoce

I wonder if they'd be relaunching a replacement GFWL service with that if it was successful, or just use the Windows Store? Eitherway, all I can visualise is the MS PC-Gaming quotes string.

Microsoft does not release a game on pc when it exists on their console-->Reaction: Microsoft doesn't care about pc anymore.

Microsoft releases pc port of a game on their console-->Reaction: lol M$ has no exclusives, all of their games are on pc.

That said, I hope they do it to expand KIs community because it really i an excellent game. If they do they better have cross platform support.

lol to be fair, Microsoft hasn't cared much for PC gaming in a long time (is this changing?) as a very famous listing shows.

People should be surprised if they do not for some games and not others given their history.

Korezo

Didn't every game except forza,halo,and gears come out for pc last gen? It didn't stop people from buying xbox 360s. People who play consoles will keep playing and buy consoles. This was the same story for xbox last gen or every xbox generation.

Doukou

Fucking this.

I fucking HATE that the character select screen takes 13 years to load your character. I mean, seriously, how hard can it be to have them appear almost instantly? They're not loading off a disc.

They have to load the actual character models. Unlike other fighting games which use art(SF) or use a clip(MK).
Their character models are also very detailed as oppose to games which can load them quickly like Skullgirls.

shandy706

I don't mind as long as they:

- finish the x1 version first

- fix the damn loading

I agree with both of these. Finish out the seasons on X1. UNLESS, sales of the PC version would greatly help development of future seasons.

The delayed character loads at the select screen have never made sense to me. There are tons of games with custom characters (with 100s of combos) that load instantly.

They have to load the actual character models. Unlike other fighting games which use art(SF) or use a clip(MK).

There aren't a lot of characters. It's a SELECT screen. Load them ALL into memory, you have plenty to work with on these systems. That excuse doesn't fly with this hardware ;).

It's literally my only complaint with the game..lol.

abadguy

Banned
lol to be fair, Microsoft hasn't cared much for PC gaming in a long time (is this changing?) as a very famous listing shows.

People should be surprised if they do not for some games and not others given their history.

Well if they're asking about porting KI i would imagine their level of care has gone up.

Didn't every game except forza,halo,and gears come out for pc last gen? It didn't stop people from buying xbox 360s. People who play consoles will keep playing and buy consoles. This was the same story for xbox last gen or every xbox generation.

Pretty much. Can't really think of a time a game being on the PC ever really impacted the sales of the 360 version.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Their character models are also very detailed as oppose to games which can load them quickly like Skullgirls.

Still takes an unreasonably long time.

Always seemed to be a murmur about this so it's not surprising that it's gaining a little more traction.

Even still, I'm not sure this will become reality until season 3 is completed unless Microsoft really sees it as a priority.

Possibly, but this case may be an exception. The SFV thing throws a wrench into the situation. I think PS4 getting Ultra and SFV has lessened the chance people will buy an Xbox One system just to play KI. The already niche audience that wants to play this plus the SF games has less incentive to invest in an Xbox now It's also a game that won't allow them to use their current gen sticks, which adds to the price of entry. Also the community aspect is important.

Don't get me wrong. This would be great for the actual game/franchise. Larger install base. Larger community if cross-play is involved. Increased revenue could mean increased support.

But for the actual console from a business perspective? Not so much. Going beyond the people specifically interested in KI, it continues the expectation of all Xbox exclusives ending up on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom