• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft gathering community opinions on porting Killer Instinct to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLD

Are they finally waking up to the fact that they can greatly benefit from releasing their exclusives on PC as well? I sure hope that's the case.

I don't want to jump the gun but the mere fact that they're considering bringing KI makes me slightly optimistic for the exclusives that I actually do want to come to PC.

derExperte

I wonder if they'd be relaunching a replacement GFWL service with that if it was successful, or just use the Windows Store? Eitherway, all I can visualise is the MS PC-Gaming quotes string.

Why not Steam? Portal 2 has cross-platform coop, I played on PS3 and a friend on PC.

abadguy

Banned
Always seemed to be a murmur about this so it's not surprising that it's gaining a little more traction.

Even still, I'm not sure this will become reality until season 3 is completed unless Microsoft really sees it as a priority.

Unless they are adding extra people to the team or getting someone else to port it, then yeah they had better finish season 3 before doing that kind of thing.

Doukou

I agree with both of these. Finish out the seasons on X1. UNLESS, sales of the PC version would greatly help development of future seasons.

The delayed character loads at the select screen have never made sense to me. There are tons of games with custom characters (with 100s of combos) that load instantly.

There aren't a lot of characters. It's a SELECT screen. Load them ALL into memory, you have plenty to work with on these systems.

It's literally my only complaint with the game..lol.

The models are a lot more detail, I don't want to make assumptions but I honestly can't think of another game that loads the actual model and has the same amount of detail.

Loading it all into memory I'm not sure how well it would work. You have to remember the models are also customizable with accessories. I'm not a programmer but I imagine that might mess it up.

BokehKing

Banned
It is a very different fighting game. I like a number of fighting games, but this has very unique gameplay, a very different rythym from say streetfighter or KOF. It also can be much more fair given the whole combo breaker system.
I would argue that KOF and Street Fighter have not been the same in a long while now, but I see what you're saying.

I just see it as 'good enough until Street fighter or mortal kombat comes out"

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Don't get me wrong. This would be great for the actual game/franchise. Larger install base. Larger community if cross-play is involved. Increased revenue could mean increased support.

But for the actual console from a business perspective? Not so much. Going beyond the people specifically interested in KI, it continues the expectation of all Xbox exclusives ending up on PC.

This game has been out a year already. If somebody was dying to play it and wanted to buy an xbone for it they already had a year to do it.

If it was day and date xbone/pc like Titanfall was then I could understand this argument but right now KI is not moving any xbones.

For me it does, why pick up an Xbox One if its exclusives are going to PC?? You can use a Xbox pad on the PC, PC produces better fidelity and you can get the game cheap on places like steam, lets add that to the fact I can use my PC for its other tasks while gaming on it
So let me wrap my head around this, you think that a game coming to PC devalues the Xbone but in your previous post you said a PC game on PS4 is an advantage for the PS4. You even said that you prefer games on your PS4 because you don't like "building a PC". Couldn't the same be said for people on Xbone then?

Are you even trying to hide your bias?

hwalker84

Are they finally waking up to the fact that they can greatly benefit from releasing their exclusives on PC as well? I sure hope that's the case.

I don't want to jump the gun but the mere fact that they're considering bringing KI makes me slightly optimistic for the exclusives that I actually do want to come to PC.
How does this greatly benefit them? No console sold, no xbox live subscription sold.

kulapik

This shows that PC is the way to go. You want Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct? buy a PC.

Now we have to wait until Steamboxes are a thing and they have console like prices.

stay gold

Don't get me wrong. This would be great for the actual game/franchise. Larger install base. Larger community if cross-play is involved. Increased revenue could mean increased support.

But for the actual console from a business perspective? Not so much. Going beyond the people specifically interested in KI, it continues the expectation of all Xbox exclusives ending up on PC.

The games are coming out on PC over a year after the Xbox releases. If an Xbox exclusive doesn't manage to sell you on the system in 12 months then it never will. Theres no downside to these games coming out on PC after they've done the job for Xbox.

Nephtes

The models are a lot more detail, I don't want to make assumptions but I honestly can't think of another game that loads the actual model and has the same amount of detail.

Loading it all into memory I'm not sure how well it would work. You have to remember the models are also customizable with accessories. I'm not a programmer but I imagine that might mess it up.

I wish they would have just used 2D character art instead for ultimate speed...

The way it is now, after you select a character and get to the loading screen, the game takes a screenshot at a random point in the character idle animation, which can cause some less than optimal poses... (mostly featuring Jago with his eyes closed on the vs. Loading screen...)

Aa to the actual topic... I'm torn.
I can see both arguments as to releasing KI on PC reduces the reason to own an Xbox One, however, it opens the game audience to more.people... Meaning less time waiting for a match... (assuming cross play).

Also... My SFIV fightpads work with my computer, not my Xbox One...which is one of the reasons I'm leaning to PC for SFV...

This game has been out a year already. If somebody was dying to play it and wanted to buy an xbone for it they already had a year to do it.

If it was day and date xbone/pc like Titanfall was then I could understand this argument but right now KI is not moving any xbones.

Again. It's not about this specific game. This would be a good thing for this particular game especially. It's about the expectation that pretty much every MS exclusive will come to PC.

Ignoring the elephant in the room to make some misleading generalization, great contribution. When it comes to Sony, the term exclusive is not even needed. It's either proprietary software or it's not.

Yeah, because the post I quoted was a such a great contribution to a thread...

And even with Sony that's changing. There are games where they are helping with production (or at least that's what they are claiming) that will also come to Pc like Grin Fandango or SF V...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why not Steam? Portal 2 has cross-platform coop, I played on PS3 and a friend on PC.

I don't think Valve has opened up its console API to third parties (and Valve being Valve I wouldn't be surprised if it's been left to rot following the decision to not allow PS3/PC cross-platform play within CS:GO). I suppose we'll find out when Capcom clarifies how SFV's MP works.

Baleoce

I don't think Valve has opened up its console API to third parties. I suppose we'll find out when Capcom clarifies how SFV's MP works.

This is another thing I've been wondering about. How friending / social aspect would work between platforms for SF. Either Steam console API gets opened up, or there's going to be separate software. Or its all handled ingame instead. Same goes for KI.

Nephtes

The games are coming out on PC over a year after the Xbox releases. If an Xbox exclusive doesn't manage to sell you on the system in 12 months then it never will. Theres no downside to these games coming out on PC after they've done the job for Xbox.

Are you suggesting that games like Bloodborne should also be released on PC after a year exclusivity on the PS4?

LonDonE

Neo Member
yet another reason not to own an xbox one.

This is exactly what i have been saying just what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? Nintendo and Sony have nailed it in this regard! both companies have solid i.ps and exclusives which are true system exclusives and if you want to play said exclusives then you have to buy a playstation or nintendo its that simple.

True system exclusives strengthen the brand and platform! Microsoft needs to stop sharing its exclusives with pc, they need to give people a reason to buy an xbox instead of taking away said reason,
Its the same with the third party times exclusives, Microsoft should only do it if the third party can give them a true life time exclusive, timed ones are pointless and do nothing for the brand.
I hate third party exclusives but if it has to be done then it should be like Bayonetta 2 is for wii u, or Street fighter 5 is for playstation 4 although even that is on pc too!

I just think that money is better spent on new ips of true exclusives which are only on xbox/ps4/wiiu none of this times or shard with pc.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Are you suggesting that games like Bloodborne should also be released on PC after a year exclusivity on the PS4?

Sure, why not?

It's just there's no precedent for that happening, so I don't think there's a chance it will. With MS there's a ton of precedent going back to the original xbox.

stay gold

Well Sony has shown no signs of being open to this, so it's kinda moot. But it would sell a decent amount of copies on PC and have zero impact on PS4 sales, so I don't see why not.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Most people wait until there's a number of exclusives they are interested in before making the plunge? There is absolutely a downside to Microsoft allowing their "exclusives" to wander off. Why buy one if you can play it's games elsewhere?

If KI and Halo appear on PC then I damn well will be considering selling/trading in my X1 for a Steam Box when they arrive. Why keep paying for Live?

abadguy

Banned
This is exactly what i have been saying just what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? Nintendo and Sony have nailed it in this regard! both companies have solid i.ps and exclusives which are true system exclusives and if you want to play said exclusives then you have to buy a playstation or nintendo its that simple.

True system exclusives strengthen the brand and platform! Microsoft needs to stop sharing its exclusives with pc, they need to give people a reason to buy an xbox instead of taking away said reason,
Its the same with the third party times exclusives, Microsoft should only do it if the third party can give them a true life time exclusive, timed ones are pointless and do nothing for the brand.
I hate third party exclusives but if it has to be done then it should be like Bayonetta 2 is for wii u, or Street fighter 5 is for playstation 4 although even that is on pc too!

I just think that money is better spent on new ips of true exclusives which are only on xbox/ps4/wiiu none of this times or shard with pc.

Again. An Xbox exclusive being on the PC has yet to negatively impact the actual console.

How are they going to use it in console exclusive forum list wars?

kodecraft

At this point Xbox One should be turned into Microsofts version of a Steam Box.
Have it run Windows 10 and make all games cross platform. If you buy a gane for Xbox (digitally) you also get the PC version and vice versa. Also include cross platform play.

Merge the two platforms and still make Xbox hardware in the future for people that don't want to fuck around with building PCs.

I think was an idea a few around GAF kinda had talked about, this sounds like an awesome business move. I want my devices streamlined and talking.

If this does show up on PC, will it be available to Windows 7? I don't see myself jumping to a newer OS for the next few years because my gaming laptop is still reasonably new.

Nephtes

Well Sony has shown no signs of being open to this, so it's kinda moot. But it would sell a decent amount of copies on PC and have zero impact on PS4 sales, so I don't see why not.

Before this generation I would have agreed, now I'm not sure. (especially after Sony pays for SFV and lets it go to the PC)

I bought my Xbox 360 and PS3 for the exclusives on both platforms, and I was not let down.

I bought the Xbox One and PS4 for exclusives and it's increasingly looking this generation like I could have bought a living room PC instead...

abadguy

Banned
Most people wait until there's a number of exclusives they are interested in before making the plunge? There is absolutely a downside to Microsoft allowing their "exclusives" to wander off. Why buy one if you can play it's games elsewhere?

If KI and Halo appear on PC then I damn well will be considering selling/trading in my X1 for a Steam Box when they arrive. Why keep paying for Live?

So how come it's never once happened with the 360? I was told billions of time that every 360 game could be gotten on the PC ( which was complete bullshit but...) so if that's the case why has the 360 sold so much?

pixlexic

Banned
Would make total sense. The sales on xbone have probably died down and if they make it cross play compatible it could bring more people to the Xbone version.

Nephtes

So how come it's never once happened with the 360? I was told billions of time that every 360 game could be gotten on the PC ( which was complete bullshit but...) so if that's the case why has the 360 sold so much?

Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, Halo 4 would like to have words with you...and uh... Perfect DarK Zero too? Maybe like two others...

Edit: My bad, I missed where you said it was "bullshit"... Carry on sir...

yoplay

Are those same people in both threads?

If so, great. Let's see those posts.

If not? We'll wish you well in your future endeavours.

My comment is mostly in response to -tetsuo-'s sarcastic reply about real gamers wanting AAA blockbuster games and that PC games r just 2d and RTS titles. The AAA titles being scoffed at are the ones exclusive to Sony since their hardware is being dismissed with the whole consoles aren't worth buying this gen that some PC gamers have been stating in the SFV and now KI thread.

One may have a concern with MS since it seems most of their early exclusives are coming to PC, but that is not the case for Sony or Nintendo.

Gamer345

Banned
So let me wrap my head around this, you think that a game coming to PC devalues the Xbone but in your previous post you said a PC game on PS4 is an advantage for the PS4. You even said that you prefer games on your PS4 because you don't like "building a PC". Couldn't the same be said for people on Xbone then?

Are you even trying to hide your bias?

Your mistake with this post was taking two different posts and putting them together

I like PS consoles, cause of Sony WWS and certain Nintendo first parties also I will not even slightly try to hide that, nothing on XB1 (except Sunset and Quantum break) has compelled me, and I dont like PC gaming at all

But you asked me if XB exclusives on PC devalues it, so I am throwing every console out of the equation and putting myself in the shoe of a gamer who is looking for his next platform but I dont like anything want a PS4, I am here to decide between PC and XB1 just like you asked.

As that gamer I described above, I am not bound by anything expect my love for MS games, I might like Halo, Forza, Sunset Overdrive for the XB1, I see those same exact game on PC, I mean if you are a gamer you really dont need to know a proper gaming PC is more powerful than a console, free online and can use the XB1 pad also, I know which one I would go for

Now I am pretty sure there wont be one or two gamers like I described above, but many, if those gamers choose the PC cause exclusivity is moving, doesnt that take away a certain amount of gamers who would have bought the XB1??, hence devalue the hardware.

And as you have yes, certain people will buy the XB1 no matter the exclusivity, but why reduce the amount of people that would buy the hardware by moving your strict exclusives?!

Biker19

Banned
Should we be surprised at this point?

Honestly. So far, we haven't seen Microsoft learned their lesson from the Xbox 360 when it comes to keeping games exclusive on their platforms like Nintendo & Sony has.

Heck, they let games like Ryse: Son of Rome, DeadRising 3, & TitanFall go to PC already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom