• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

FGC events would all go PS4-only without hesitation if the 720 requires an internet connection just to start up. Fighting game tournies are open tournaments that draw hundreds (or thousands in the case of Evo) entrants and tournament matches are played on dozens of consoles at a time. Having to ensure that dozens of consoles have reliable connections to hotel internet? Logistical fucking nightmare.

If both the PS4 and 720 were to have the same persistent internet requirement, the FGC would be forced to go exclusively PC across the board, and games that aren't released on the PC would be excluded.
No

It is impossible.

unbias

Not an apologist for Gies as he came off as a huge ass during the SimCity mess, but those posts are a bit out of context. Prior tweets that he made showed distaste over the rumors/news of the always online nature of the new Xbox and he urged people to make calm, reasoned arguments as to why this is such a bad idea.

YBKCA4g.jpg

QAwDOfC.jpg

2RwyULt.jpg

I think he's trying to make devil's advocate arguments (and exclude GAF because he hates us). His problem is that his credibility is pretty low in the gaming community right now, so any tweets like the ones referenced above are going to invite trouble.

No, the problem is he is always "playing" devils advocate for corporate. While he thinks the idea is stupid, because he doesn't think it will work, he has never thought always online DRM is a problem, unless it effects him.

If you want proof of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO688ZIfLHE&feature=youtu.be

What he says is that always online wont effect his review, unless it is broke... So he doesnt care about the use and function of the always online DRM, all he cares about is if it effects him from doing his review. This is him essentially saying, I dont give a fuck if always online DRM is bad for you, I will only care if it becomes a hindrance to me.

itsgreen

No, the problem is he is always "playing" devils advocate for corporate. While he thinks the idea is stupid, because he doesn't think it will work, he has never thought always online DRM is a problem, unless it effects him.

If you want proof of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO688ZIfLHE&feature=youtu.be

What he says is that always online wont effect his review, unless it is broke... So he doesnt care about the use and function of the always online DRM, all he cares about is if it effects him from doing his review. This is him essentially saying, I dont give a fuck if always online DRM is bad for you, I will only care if it becomes a hindrance to me.

Well he is completely right, the difference between us and him is that we can easily predict that either our ISP or Microsoft will fail somewhere down the line, and that isn't because MS is incapable but because shit happens, and we are affected.

Yawnier

Banned
Again this is only true at events that Sony sponsors. Ones that they don't sponsor are usually run on 360s.

Do you know any first-hand examples of this because I'm actually curious since I don't follow the FGC all that much outside of EVO and a few other things.

Durango Division at Redmond are either laughing their asses off at this thread or shitting bricks into a bucket. I wish I knew which.

I don't have any idea why they would or should be laughing at any of this. This is only more bad word of mouth for an unannounced console already surrounded by numerous rumors and speculation that has been for the most part, very negative at least here on GAF, Reddit, and other websites too.

Doffen

Rösti;52807278 said:
MSFT stock didn't change much during the course of this madness. It's actually up a bit now from when I checked a few hours ago. Though that could abruptly change if something dramatic happens.

MSFT stocks are very stable and dull. Windows 8 and Surface didn't really affect them either.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Last night Arthur said ms was pushing a hardcore strategy this year and this would run counter to it. This sort of implies he understands why this would piss off the hardcore and what the issues are here.

Today: can anyone explain to me what is so bad about always online?????

Saige

I must do better.
Just got caught up with this thread, what an easily avoidable shit show.

I see Gies is still the same salty corporate shill he always is. Keep it up buddy, they’ll hire you someday.

unbias

Last night Arthur said ms was pushing a hardcore strategy this year and this would run counter to it. This sort of implies he understands why this would piss off the hardcore and what the issues are here.

Last night Arthur must have been interrupted by an always online game, today, he can review games just fine, so he dont give a fuck.

Yep, and when he is given perfect examples, he discredits them because the post with them was "surrounded by shit posts in a thread with a shit title".

dominuece

Is there any conceivable way at this point MS could still pull-off an Always On announcement without looking like tools?

"With Xbox 720, you’re always connected. Xbox Cloud combined with our Xbox Life (Live) service and Stay Kinected interface guarantees that users are ensured to get content that is tailored to their individual media lifestyles. At work, home, or vacation, Xbox 720 continues to deliver updated content."

Jump in.
Stay Kinected.
Submit.

tl;dr answer to your question...nope.

jorma

is now taking requests
[/IMG]

2RwyULt.jpg

I think he's trying to make devil's advocate arguments (and exclude GAF because he hates us). His problem is that his credibility is pretty low in the gaming community right now, so any tweets like the ones referenced above are going to invite trouble.

Well this makes me kind of angry. I'm just a regular gamer. I don't have 20k followers on twitter, and i don't have space on a well funded website on which to speak my mind whenever i want. All i have is voicing my concern on a forum. If i want to "gather support", that's where i'm going to have to do it. And you want to take that away from me too? I should just shut the fuck up, because "a profitable multinational corporation" doesn't give a shit about what i say here anyway? Fuck that. I mean seriously :X

But he is wrong. Because this would be a complete non-story if not for neogaf. And i don't think this is a non-story.

Arthur is winning.

He gets more fucking time and attention here than most video games.

Ouren

Videogame servers are not run by humans at a facility, they exist in the neverending dreams of Gaia. The "servers" will always be on-line.

waiter.jpg

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't know why people give this Gies guy so much attention. Seems like every major controversial thread ends up being about that guy nowadays.

ekim

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Matchmaking
Users may experience difficulties with the following services:
Joining other Xbox LIVE members in online games
Affecting the following LIVE Platforms:
Xbox 360 Console
4/4/2013 11:49:11 PM PDT:
If you’re an Xbox LIVE Silver member, you’re probably having problems playing Minecraft. When trying to load a saved game, you’re likely to see a strange server error. Don’t worry! We’re working with the game developers to fix this bug and get you back to that beautiful world you built. We’ll post another update when we have more information. Thanks for being patient!

Normally, I think that people overreact to things such as this, but this guy seems to deserve it. He was practically begging for it.

Orth, not Gies. I can't really comment on Gies without coming across as petty.

Top Bottom