• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here's something I'd like to know.
Who was that sweet new "hero" Inafune wanted to introduce from Japan?
Was it Beck? Was it Yaiba?
Unsure, but Beck seems plausible? Thanks for the link, either way. Seems there is a lot of material that can be used.
AzYLJDj.png

I've pretty much lost all interest in this game now. In a sense, I'm glad I chose not to back this. Had a strange feeling in my gut the game may end up canned at some point.

My guess is Microsoft paid them enough money to put all priority on ReCore for the time being.

As a backer I just want to play the game at this point.

I feel bad for them but as so many others have expressed I have to wonder if it would've been better to just patch the online stuff in later.

My guess is Microsoft paid them enough money to put all priority on ReCore for the time being.

The only common link between the two is Inafune being producer. Recore's by Armature and this is by Inti Creates. Totally different staff.

First I'm seeing this. Holy... what????

Mr-Joker

Banned

Jeez that's shit, they really should have allowed those to exchange their reward for the retail version so that backers don't feel ripped off. Then again that would mean actually giving a fuck about backers in the first place.

Urgh I can't believe that my name is going to be attached to this shit. ¬_¬;

I really have no idea why they don't just release the game now and patch in online later. 95% of people interested in this game just want the single player.

Because Inafune doesn't want to pay the fee again just to patch in the multiplayer mode, that's the real reason why we don't have the game.

Rokal

I really have no idea why they don't just release the game now and patch in online later. 95% of people interested in this game just want the single player.

This was sort-of answered in an Inafune interview the last time the game was delayed.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-whys-and-wherefores-of-mighty-no-9

Inafune via interview said:
USG: I think a lot of people were actually surprised to hear that there was even a multiplayer component to the game, because they were really just thinking about Mighty No. 9 as a single-player game. Was there any consideration given to separating the multiplayer out and publishing the campaign on time, and then rolling out the online component as DLC? Kind of like Metal Gear Solid V, which debuted as a campaign and had Metal Gear Online launch a month later...

Inafune: When the first possibility of the delay came up, there was definitely that consideration of [launching] with single-player only, and then patching in the multiplayer later on. We actually brought this up to Deep Silver, the publisher, and from their point of view, a business side point of view, this way of marketing the game is not going to end up well, business-wise.

[Inafune's translator added the following information: When you release a game with single-player content only, you can only label that game as a single-player game when you do the certification to the first-party, the platform holders. So you cannot write "single-player/multiplayer" on the box or any other way to promote it, so it’s only a single-player game. When that happens, the price will drop—we cannot price the game as a the single-player and multiplayer game, we can only price it as a single-player game.

TL;DR: Certification issues, categorization limitations with various parties. I also assume the physical release impacts this: they probably up for the expense of printing multiple versions of it, and can't advertise multiplayer features that aren't actually in the game.

It's disappointing that this feature which was supposed to be a minor bonus feature for the game as a stretch goal has instead resulted in over a year of delays and lots of unhappy/angry backers. These days when I see a kickstarter start adding feature-creep stretch goals that I think are going to harm the developer's ability to work on the core part of their pitch, I usually cancel my pledge.

Very happy that Yooka-Laylee took a reasonable approach to stretch goals and may actually deliver the thing people want on time, instead of investing a bunch of time or delaying the game due to a feature nobody wanted to start with.

I will say, it's amazing how much MN9 has changed my opinion of the man in the past 2 years. Sometimes I wonder if Capcom was right to let this guy go, he's got some pretty critical flaws.

BiggNife

This was sort-of answered in an Inafune interview the last time the game was delayed.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-whys-and-wherefores-of-mighty-no-9

TL;DR: Certification issues, categorization limitations with various parties. I also assume the physical release impacts this: they probably up for the expense of printing multiple versions of it, and can't advertise multiplayer features that aren't actually in the game.

It's disappointing that this feature which was supposed to be a minor bonus feature for the game as a stretch goal has instead resulted in over a year of delays and lots of unhappy/angry backers. These days when I see a kickstarter start adding feature-creep stretch goals that I think are going to harm the developer's ability to work on the core part of their pitch, I usually cancel my pledge.

Very happy that Yooka-Laylee took a reasonable approach to stretch goals and may actually deliver the thing people want on time, instead of investing a bunch of time or delaying the game due to a feature nobody wanted to start with.
At least that's a real explanation but I still don't think it's a good idea. At this point it would make way more sense to release the digital editions with just SP and then release the retail editions when the online multiplayer is in so the features on the box aren't misleading.

What?! I'm getting this on 3DS but it won't come out till September?

Wow...

To be clear, they're talking about September 2015 here, which was the original release date. Now that the console versions are delayed to Spring 2016, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the portable versions don't come out until Q4 2016.

LiK

let's see if we get another delay announcement in Spring. if it's the same problem, they need to hire people who can fix their networking shit.

There won't be a single meltdown when this is released and it's mediocre. The percentage of people who backed this who probably even think about it once every few months is probably under 20. The number of people who check the project every day is probably in the dozens. This is past the point of hype or expectations, it's just this thing floating out in space you paid for and don't even remember why exactly anymore. It's a bean bag chair you were excited to buy for your first apartment that is so busted up you haven't used it in a year and keep forgetting it's still taking up space in the corner. When it's finally released, I'm likely to go "oh I guess I should download that" and may actually get around to redeeming my code in a year when cleaning out my inbox.

Inafune's messiah complex will soon give him the appropriate career opportunities, as pretty soon he'll be lucky to be hired as a carpenter.

c43.jpg

And after the development team promised that the game's second delay would be the last one, lmao.

Ever since the cracks first appeared, MN9 has been a walking textbook example of how not to handle a crowdfunding campaign and PR relations. What a mess.

Yazuka

I was so stoked when this was first announced. Now I'm not sure I give a shit anymore. I don't mind delays, but it's been delay after delay and for network reasons? Come on, just give us the game.

I didn't back this game, but I don't see the big deal with delays. Wouldn't you rather have a polished product after some waiting? Non Kickstarter games get delayed all the time.

schaft0620

ITT: We learn a life lesson about the hardships of making and game and the difficult choices that have to be made. Most people here would do exactly as Capcom did get rid of this guy. The same people that complain that there is no MM game.

I didn't back this game, but I don't see the big deal with delays. Wouldn't you rather have a polished product after some waiting? Non Kickstarter games get delayed all the time.
it's more about how and why.

this is the 2nd time the game has had a multi month delay related to net code issues

it's been said that the single player is content complete and pretty much done

the delay before this one was not given until a day or two after the failed red ash kickstarter finished up.

ghibli99

This is absolutely true. Kickstarter backers have been told they cannot get the retail version no matter what amount they pledged, and those who paid for a physical release are getting what was originally promised, which is basically a bare-bones PC physical release with a USB in a cardboard box.
LOL! Wow. Dude, I feel so bad for anyone who backed this thing. I know there are no guarantees (I'm cautiously optimistic that Power Drive 2000 actually finishes), but still...

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

The issue is that the game is getting delayed for a mode that probably 5% of buyers/backers give a shit about after Inafune swore that it wouldn't get delayed again, and that's if we believe that he is being honest and not stalling to get the other pieces of his multimedia strategy ready.

ITT: We learn a life lesson about the hardships of making and game and the difficult choices that have to be made. Most people here would do exactly as Capcom did get rid of this guy. The same people that complain that there is no MM game.

Yeah you're right, this is a model example of how to manage and produce a project for the whole industry. "I want to be the next Keiji Inafune!" the young dreamers cry. It's a shame the only bad thing anyone's had to say about this project so far are things that show Inafune cares.

As it turns out Capcom was the good guy. Who would've known.

LiK

This doesn't mean Capcom execs were innocent either.

Your kind of reaction is the bigger joke. So they are having some network problems that they are taking time to fix proprely instead of releasing a broken game. Where's the joke in that? With how many online modes have been broken in games in recent years, you'd think this is the preferable alternative instead of just pushing shit out even when it doesn't work properly.

blink twice if inafune is behind you

Honestly, this studio having a better output under Capcom than going indie with their first big solo game is surprising to me. I backed in hopes for another Megaman 9, but I'll consider myself lucky if this clears the low bar of ZX.

213372bu

Banned
I don't believe that this whole thing has been all about the online mode.

Something's off.

The backer demo and the content people got out of it was a bore.

It wasn't really fun, or flowing which is the whole point of the dash, and had terrible and dull backgrounds where enemies didn't really pop out. Dialogue was also really cringey, and not in a "it's meant for children way" either.

My guess is everyone started complaining it looked like an XBLA game and they delayed it to improve the main game as they have been pushing this shit like it's bigger than mega man.

ar4757

On the bright side, now Capcom has all the more reason to develop a proper Mega Man game. A sequel to any of the subseries that is a proper sequel will almost definitely be loved by all.

jholmes

Refunds for what? People love to throw around "scam" and "fraud" around but at the end of the day we are still getting our game - just a later than we thought we would. People need to chill.

• For refusing to respond to backers' concerns as soon as the payments cleared
  • For asking for $900,000, getting four times that and then immediately asking for more money
  • For not negotiating with Deep Silver to allow backers, who got this game made in the first place, to get a proper physical copy
You might be pleased with how this campaign went, but I and many others have no confidence in what's going on and want to pull our money out. Why that would personally upset you I can't begin to imagine. Also, I didn't call this a "scam" or a "fraud" but I definitely appreciate you directly quoting me as saying that though, really classy move.

wrowa

• For refusing to respond to backers' concerns as soon as the payments cleared
  • For asking for $900,000, getting four times that and then immediately asking for more money
  • For not negotiating with Deep Silver to allow backers, who got this game made in the first place, to get a proper physical copy
You might be pleased with how this campaign went, but I and many others have no confidence in what's going on and want to pull our money out. Why that would personally upset you I can't begin to imagine. Also, I didn't call this a "scam" or a "fraud" but I definitely appreciate you directly quoting me as saying that though, really classy move.

I don't really see why any of that would warrant a refund. You'll get what you pledged for and beyond that I don't think backers are actually entitled to anything. It sucks if a kickstarted game doesn't evolve in the direction you anticipated, but at the end of the day that's just the risk that is involved with Kickstarter. If you don't like that risk, you shouldn't have pledged in the first place.

Caronte

This dude is making Kickstarter look like a joke. Here's hoping IGA doesn't do this non-sense.

This is my problem with all this. I don't even care about the game but this crap it's damaging future projects not just by Inafune but by other people too.

LiK

This is my problem with all this. I don't even care about the game but this crap it's damaging future projects not just by Inafune but by other people too.

I think his name is toxic now. Good luck to whoever does another crowdfunding game with him.

rhandino

Banned
This dude is making Kickstarter look like a joke. Here's hoping IGA doesn't do this non-sense.
This project is basically the poster child of everything that could go wrong with a Kickstarter project so hopefully other people take notes and avoid the pitfall this one carved for itself.

The fact that they wanted to also fund that Red Ash thing while this one was still mission in action and after that bombed this one was delayed.

I don't really think so. Even most people who backed this don't really care anymore. It's damaging Inafune's and comcept's rep, but Kickstarter's already reached and persevered past the point of video game project disillusionment already. A lot of shady shit jumped on the bandwagon, but a lot of projects delivered, often well, like the one from your avatar :p

jholmes

I don't really see why any of that would warrant a refund. You'll get what you pledged for and beyond that I don't think backers are actually entitled to anything. It sucks if a kickstarted game doesn't evolve in the direction you anticipated, but at the end of the day that's just the risk that is involved with Kickstarter. If you don't like that risk, you shouldn't have pledged in the first place.

First of all, nothing you said changes the fact that Comcept has been refusing to respond to emails and Kickstarter comments for months now. That's inexcusable and I don't know why anyone is defending this.

Second, it's not about the game "evolving" in another direction. Comcept asked for more money for voice acting and an anime project a month after the primary campaign closed.

Top Bottom