• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wow, am I missing something, why are so many of you so negative would you rather have a broken game? Again I'm just jumping in on this so maybe someone can enlighten me.

image.php

flux1

Wow, am I missing something, why are so many of you so negative would you rather have a broken game? Again I'm just jumping in on this so maybe someone can enlighten me.

If what they are saying is true, then the game can be released as is. Online functionality doesn't effect single player experiences, it can be patched in later.

Broken? No, of course not. I'd prefer if they'd just cut the feature that isn't working.

I'm curious at this point if the reason they only released that demo is because that's the only copy of the game someone remembered to save before trying to fix the engine code, and right now they have done so much damage they somehow can't get the thing to run at all without getting the matchmaking working

I mean, it's a stupid thing to say, but nothing short of Obama sending lizard men to kidnap Inafune would surprise me at this point

LiK

My oldest son and I had a conversation about the repeated delays less than 24 hours ago. I reassured him that things were probably back on track and he shouldn't worry about the February release.

I should have known better.

Inafune is banned!

Are we at the point where someone competent could of made the same game in thr delay period?

Not the same (type of) game, it was mentioned(Elsewhere), but Xenoblades Chronicle X got announced the same year MN9 got funded, and released worldwide at the end of last year. And I would say that game is grander and more ambitious than MN9.

As for the same exact game...Nintendo could do it if they tried(I bet)

Needlecrash

This is ridiculous. 3 delays, not to mention all of the shit that's been going on with the game, has me uninterested in the game now; even though I backed it.

Hesh

I would think that this would hurt Inafune's sterling reputation as a great businessman, but in this industry who knows these days. I'll forever be thankful to him for Mega Man and Mega Man Legends, but after the mess that is this project and the Red Ash Kickstarter I'm thinking that maybe Inafune isn't the person to head up productions and instead should just help with design or consulting.

Needlecrash

This dude is making Kickstarter look like a joke. Here's hoping IGA doesn't do this non-sense.

I'm not too concerned with Bloodstained. There was alpha footage of the game before the kickstarter campaign even ended. Altogether, Bloodstained got $10 million. 1/2 of that was from the backers and the other 1/2 came from the partners. I have more faith in Bloodstained than Mighty No 9.

Oh, why did someone bump a month old topi-

*reads OP*

Tk1N9KM.gif

Same thought and reaction here.
Honestly Inafune / comcept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Kickstarters tend to suffer from big delays. I've gotten used to that.
Yet. All the delays combined with how the project is being handled, all the side-stuff announcements and the current look of the game just leaves a very bad impression.

Not to mention. The reason for the delay is something very few people seem to care about.
I wish they would leave the online stuff out and use the extra time and money to improve the single player game.

If this keeps up. The animated series might be out before the game

I'm not too concerned with Bloodstained. There was alpha footage of the game before the kickstarter campaign even ended. Altogether, Bloodstained got $10 million. 1/2 of that was from the backers and the other 1/2 came from the partners. I have more faith in Bloodstained than Mighty No 9.
Bloodstained is also regularly putting out new stuff that at least looks great. I guess there's a chance it plays like absolute butts, but I doubt it.

Bloodstained is also regularly putting out new stuff that at least looks great. I guess there's a chance it plays like absolute butts, but I doubt it.

Yeah.

Iga came out shooting with alpha footage and alot of concept art that seems to be translating pretty well to the images they've released. IMO, it's already strides ahead of MN9 was in the same time frame.

I wish I could choose two options. I backed this game and I didn't even know there was online, but I also don't care about online modes.

What I care about is the character not having weird movement and the visuals not looking cheap.

I am real, real suspicious about this being the actual reason for the delay.

This game was out in two weeks and no marketing had been done, no discussion of review copies, it had not gone gold for the retail versions, nothing of the sort.

At the very, very least, this was not an abrupt delay that crept out of nowhere. The more conspiracy-minded side of me wonders if it got delayed for marketing budget reasons and to shift it to a friendlier quarter, but after so many delays already, the least offensive delay reason would be one that has caused a delay before.

Compsiox

Banned
I am real, real suspicious about this being the actual reason for the delay.

This game was out in two weeks and no marketing had been done, no discussion of review copies, it had not gone gold for the retail versions, nothing of the sort.

At the very, very least, this was not an abrupt delay that crept out of nowhere. The more conspiracy-minded side of me wonders if it got delayed for marketing budget reasons and to shift it to a friendlier quarter, but after so many delays already, the least offensive delay reason would be one that has caused a delay before.

I can't believe anyone thinks this is the actual reason.

RK128

I just don't get this game honestly :l.

We got so many kickstarters and they all became great games. Shovel Knight became an indie gem for 2014 and people loved it when it landed on other platforms; Yatch Club games has a great, successful new IP on there hands and they are still doing a great job supporting the game (Plauge Knight content update, amiibo support, exclusive stages/bosses for PlayStation/Xbox versions).

Undertale needs no explanation, with that game being on many peoples game of the year lists last holiday and doing everything it set out to do.

Broken Age while a flawed game, still kept is promise of being a good adventure game with great visuals, decent story and fun puzzles.

Shenmue 3, Bloodstained, Yooka-Laylee and Psychonuuts 2 are other crowd funded projects not out yet but show great potential to become very strong products. Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained are very high on my most anticipated games for 2016 and 2017 respectively.

We come back to Mighty No. 9, looking at all these Kickstarters and how successful they are.....and its a damn joke :l.

Inafune didn't want to make a great game here, he wanted to make a marketing platform for future projects and spin-offs. He wants a cartoon, a movie, and even a spin-off using the Legends-style of gameplay (which was on another Kickstarter.....despite Mighty No. 9 not even being out yet X().....but we still don't have Mighty No. 9 in our hands yet.

I can understand development issues or hang ups with production....but this is a 2D side scrolling game using Unreal Engine 3. I mean, its shouldn't be selfish to expect this to be out by now, as the game apparently is content complete at this stage. Again, every game I listed above outside of the last four are out already and while they may not have 3D graphics, they came out already. They are content complete and people were mostly happy with them.

Mighty No. 9's art style isn't making people happy, gameplay impressions range from good too great and the game as a whole from impressions, could be a fun action platformer even if it doesn't surpass the Mega Man Classic series.

But Inafune is the main hold up holding this game back. If his studio gutted the online features for this game, then they could of released it next month. But nope, just keep that 'promise' to backers instead of just adding it as a post-game update or patch.

What I really think is the case here (and I am likely wrong) is that he is holding the game back to ensure the following:
-Every release of the game (current gen, last gen, handhelds) comes out same day and date
-Online modes work in all versions
-Cartoon releases right alongside the games
-Announces sequel Kickstarter, launching two months after the base games launch

At this point.....I'm getting the game when it comes out and I hope to enjoy it. But I will always keep a sharp eye on Inafune for future Kickstarters. I never backed a Kickstarter before, but I never understood why.....I guess it was seeing how bad Mighty No. 9's campaign turned out that soured me on the whole platform I suppose :l.

Raxus

My oldest son and I had a conversation about the repeated delays less than 24 hours ago. I reassured him that things were probably back on track and he shouldn't worry about the February release.

I should have known better.

God help you if it is delayed again and you have to have 'The Last Guardian' talk.

Pachinko

I've thought about this some more and I'm not just typing away on my phone -

Basically this game was never really going to hit any of it's release targets , I think there is a marketing synergy going on to attempt to launch an entire brand all at once. A lot is riding on Mighty Number 9's success right now too - it's the first comcept title so it not only has to be pretty decent but it also needs to sell reasonably well (at least 1 million copies sold I think is the minimum needed to make the people at deep silver happy). We know that a cartoon , comic and possible toy line are all in the works and Inafune is first and foremost a producer. Beck is going to be their mascot.

So , though they won't simply admit as much - this game almost HAS to launch around the same time as everything else to maximize exposure and brand awareness. It might even need at least a small tv ad campaign coinciding with all the toys and cartoons.

A Beta consisting of about half the game was released back in the fall to anyone who had backed the title and just based on it alone - Mighty Number 9 was ready to go then but , between all of the ports and online features as well as delays with the cartoon and other merch , it simply didn't make sense to release it yet.

This is still the problem and despite the vague promise of "spring" (which is basically implying april/may/june) I don't think a real release date will happen until every port and online bug is 100% cleaned up AND the other aspects of Mighty Number 9 as a brand are nearly ready to launch.

This game wasn't always stuck in this delay cycle of doom either - the original kickstarted game I think ended up simply costing a lot more than comcept expected. 4.5 million was enough to create the PC version and port it to PS4 and Xbox one but the wii U /vita/3DS releases probably proved just a bit to be too much. Inticreates has moved on to Bloodstained now as if you needed more signs that the main game is finished. So, Inafune went in search of more money and found it at deep silver - they saw what looked like a finished product and agreed to pay out (I'm assuming) as much as another 5 million dollars to finish the full vision of the game and release it at retail with a 4 month delay. As that fateful september date loomed closer - one of the new features - the online leaderboards and such - clearly didn't work properly on every platform and there were delays and problems getting other merchandise started up. So 6 more months to clean it all up and push it out of a competition heavy quarter. One might assume as well - that perhaps there are more bugs in the game than just online leader board glitches - maybe it was submitted to someone for certification in August and it failed ? Here we are in January now with no progress for one reason or another ... it just seems odd that a few bugs couldn't have been cleaned out of the game in 5 months which is why I think they're waiting for more stuff outside of the game to get ready.

Look around this thread and the internet at large - Mighty Number 9 is currently toxic , it's trending like the wii U did after it was unveiled. Public perception needs to be fixed and perhaps it might have helped comcept out to come clean to everyone what was really going on and how long it was realistically going to take. Maybe don't even put a release date out there ?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yikes at this news.

the death of Clover and MML3 were big reasons. plus Capcom was also just outsourcing their IPs to various Western devs who created meh sequels/reboots to their franchises.

Wasn't Inafune responsible with the disbanding though?

So, this is for the online component...those stretch goals for the Kickstarter turned out to be a textbook example of biting off more than they could chew.

Anyway, I don't think there's much of a chance for Mighty No. 9 to reverse its fortunes when it comes to its reception, even if the game ends up being good. In order to live up to people's expectations and justify all the money people gave to the project, it would have to be at least as good as the best games in the Mega Man series, (2, 3, X) or other successful indies, like Shovel Knight. Those are big shoes to fill... and while I think Inafune has the ability to do it, everything about the Mighty No. 9 looks just serviceable to mediocre.

They better hope they can reach the average joe that's maybe not as informed about things to even know about the cursed narrative or really even care... 'cause at this point the forum goers and reviewers will be out for blood when it releases, and ready to make an example of it. I'm really looking forward to this but I'm expecting to see it end up with a 40-ish metacritic.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord.

Glad I didn't back this thing. I hope Yooka-Laylee delivers, but I would have bought that on whatever they were showing during the Kickstarter's inception. I have a mighty need for a true Banjo-Kazooie successor. Lego cars don't cut it and there's no Banjo-Threeie in sight.

Yooka-Laylee was my first, and possibly only, backed Kickstarter. I'm very leery of these types of things, but YL and Playtonic pushed all the right buttons for me so I had to be part of it.

I just don't get this game honestly :l.

We got so many kickstarters and they all became great games. Shovel Knight became an indie gem for 2014 and people loved it when it landed on other platforms; Yatch Club games has a great, successful new IP on there hands and they are still doing a great job supporting the game (Plauge Knight content update, amiibo support, exclusive stages/bosses for PlayStation/Xbox versions).

Undertale needs no explanation, with that game being on many peoples game of the year lists last holiday and doing everything it set out to do.

Broken Age while a flawed game, still kept is promise of being a good adventure game with great visuals, decent story and fun puzzles.

Shenmue 3, Bloodstained, Yooka-Laylee and Psychonuuts 2 are other crowd funded projects not out yet but show great potential to become very strong products. Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained are very high on my most anticipated games for 2016 and 2017 respectively.

We come back to Mighty No. 9, looking at all these Kickstarters and how successful they are.....and its a damn joke :l.

Inafune didn't want to make a great game here, he wanted to make a marketing platform for future projects and spin-offs. He wants a cartoon, a movie, and even a spin-off using the Legends-style of gameplay (which was on another Kickstarter.....despite Mighty No. 9 not even being out yet X().....but we still don't have Mighty No. 9 in our hands yet.

I can understand development issues or hang ups with production....but this is a 2D side scrolling game using Unreal Engine 3. I mean, its shouldn't be selfish to expect this to be out by now, as the game apparently is content complete at this stage. Again, every game I listed above outside of the last four are out already and while they may not have 3D graphics, they came out already. They are content complete and people were mostly happy with them.

Mighty No. 9's art style isn't making people happy, gameplay impressions range from good too great and the game as a whole from impressions, could be a fun action platformer even if it doesn't surpass the Mega Man Classic series.

But Inafune is the main hold up holding this game back. If his studio gutted the online features for this game, then they could of released it next month. But nope, just keep that 'promise' to backers instead of just adding it as a post-game update or patch.

What I really think is the case here (and I am likely wrong) is that he is holding the game back to ensure the following:
-Every release of the game (current gen, last gen, handhelds) comes out same day and date
-Online modes work in all versions
-Cartoon releases right alongside the games
-Announces sequel Kickstarter, launching two months after the base games launch

At this point.....I'm getting the game when it comes out and I hope to enjoy it. But I will always keep a sharp eye on Inafune for future Kickstarters. I never backed a Kickstarter before, but I never understood why.....I guess it was seeing how bad Mighty No. 9's campaign turned out that soured me on the whole platform I suppose :l.
Inafune just wants a franchise he can milk to death for every little penny. Looking at his history, it shows, what with all the million Mega Man series and spin offs. Even that canceled King of Pirates game had an anime announced for it before that thing (never) came out. "A business man", indeed.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just got around to reading the email that was in my inbox from two days ago.

It's funny. This was, at the time I backed it, the highest profile KS I'd backed, and yet it continues to be the most troubled. I've backed projects by developers with much less experience and they've all managed to release with considerably less delays or practically none at all.

I don't know if it's related, but as a backer I was never happy reading about a cartoon or other media projects related to the IP as I felt those were beyond the scope of this KS and feared they would come at the cost of less focus on the game itself. To a lesser extent, I also feared the need to support so many different platforms would have a price.

However as a layman with zero experience developing videogames, I expected that my own worries were unfounded and trusted the judgement of people like Keiji Inafune who have years of experience and countless projects under their belt.

Still very confused as to what actually happened behind the scenes, and I suspect we'll never know for certain, but the state of this project is very disappointing.

I'm curious if any game has lost this much amount of support before it comes out. I didn't kickstart so I'm not bothered about the delay but I think this ip might be tainted by this point.

I'm curious if any game has lost this much amount of support before it comes out. I didn't kickstart so I'm not bothered about the delay but I think this ip might be tainted by this point.

If the game is good and is reviewed well, I don't think the IP will be tainted, but maybe Inafune's reputation will take many good games to recover.

If I didn't already have a copy coming my way, I don't know that I would have any hype left for this game by the time it comes out. It still looks cool, and I'm happy I'll get to play it at some point in the future, but this is a little ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of the delay at all - but if it does wind up only being 3 1/2 more months, that's okay. But it had damn well better be a feature-complete game, and they'd probably better make Mighty Gunvolt a freebie alongside it as a way to keep the peace.

Top Bottom