• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am so sorry for anyone that backed this. What a god damn disaster. Con artist-like IMO.

Comcept / Inafune has burned so much goodwill from this, it's ridiculous.

I think the game looks fun and I'm going to get it when it comes out. But incidents like this...and there have been many...completely turn the Internet against them.

They seem to be experts at pissing everyone off, haha.

I don't think he's a con artist, he's probably just a creator who got in over his head.

The stretch goals shaped the game into something way bigger than its intended scope, IMO. Online modes were a post-funding stretch goal, and now that stretch goal is the one thing keeping the game from being released over half a year later.

When they started promising ports to new platforms for a couple hundred thousand each, that's when I knew they were starting to promise the sun and the stars.

This was sort-of answered in an Inafune interview the last time the game was delayed.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-whys-and-wherefores-of-mighty-no-9

TL;DR: Certification issues, categorization limitations with various parties. I also assume the physical release impacts this: they probably up for the expense of printing multiple versions of it, and can't advertise multiplayer features that aren't actually in the game.

It's disappointing that this feature which was supposed to be a minor bonus feature for the game as a stretch goal has instead resulted in over a year of delays and lots of unhappy/angry backers. These days when I see a kickstarter start adding feature-creep stretch goals that I think are going to harm the developer's ability to work on the core part of their pitch, I usually cancel my pledge.

Very happy that Yooka-Laylee took a reasonable approach to stretch goals and may actually deliver the thing people want on time, instead of investing a bunch of time or delaying the game due to a feature nobody wanted to start with.

Metal Gear Solid 5 did it.

Rokal

Metal Gear Solid 5 did it.

Yes, and MGSV was a significantly higher budget/scope game, with a traditional publisher, where the publisher had an added monetary incentive to get the online mode out (microtransactions).

Comparing the MGSV online release to the Mighty Number 9 online mode is like comparing Apples to Artichokes.

What the actual fuck. That's crazy.

I thought the delay was bad, but now it seems they're giving the backers the chintziest rewards you can give while still staying technically compliant with their KS promise. Seedy as hell.

Well, since they noped out on the February release, that means more time for me to enjoy the Mega Man collection (physical copy) and SFV. War Capcom!

Crocodile

• For refusing to respond to backers' concerns as soon as the payments cleared
  • For asking for $900,000, getting four times that and then immediately asking for more money
  • For not negotiating with Deep Silver to allow backers, who got this game made in the first place, to get a proper physical copy
You might be pleased with how this campaign went, but I and many others have no confidence in what's going on and want to pull our money out. Why that would personally upset you I can't begin to imagine. Also, I didn't call this a "scam" or a "fraud" but I definitely appreciate you directly quoting me as saying that though, really classy move.

A) As soon as payments cleared? You mean like a few weeks after the campaign ended? What concerns were there to be had?

B) You know what I did when they asked for more money to fund extra content/features? Decided I didn't care about those features enough to donate again, shrugged my shoulders and went on with my day. I didn't get pissy and hold a grudge for over a year. It wasn't really any different that a slacker backer campaign - they just worded it weirdly/poorly.

C) Yeah that really sucks as a backer but I'm still getting what I paid for when I pledged. I'd loved to be able to get a "real' physical copy (and if I like the game enough I'll probably go buy one) but I'm not sure how that raises beyond disappointment/frustration and into "give me back my money!".

First of all, nothing you said changes the fact that Comcept has been refusing to respond to emails and Kickstarter comments for months now. That's inexcusable and I don't know why anyone is defending this.

Second, it's not about the game "evolving" in another direction. Comcept asked for more money for voice acting and an anime project a month after the primary campaign closed.

I can't comment to how quick they have been at responding to backers since I haven't had a reason to contact them but asking for more money to funding extra content is not immoral or worth getting angry about. It's not like they ran out of money to deliver the things they actually promised and were double-dipping to make that up. That would have been a mismanagement of funds and a huge red flag. They simply asked "hey we want to add more stuff to the game, can you help us out?". If you cared, you gave them a little extra. If you didn't, you ignored them. Not that hard. The only real reason to ask for a refund is if you DID actually get scammed (like for example no game is actually being made and they ran off with your money). Even if you don't use those exact words (though plenty others have), you obviously feel that way if you legit want a refund (unless you're exaggerating? I dunno).

The stretch goals shaped the game into something way bigger than its intended scope, IMO. Online modes were a post-funding stretch goal, and now that stretch goal is the one thing keeping the game from being released over half a year later.

When they started promising ports to new platforms for a couple hundred thousand each, that's when I knew they were starting to promise the sun and the stars.

YEP, YEP, YEP. It's a lesson a lot of the early Kickstarter campaigns (both campaigners and backers were still kind of new to the thing) didn't get but I think many nowadays are much better at avoiding that sort of pitfall.

I backed, i really don't mind. I understand peoples frustrations but i think as i get older delays just don't bother me anymore. I'd rather have a game that the developers think is ready to ship, i don't mind if it slips even a few announced dates.

jholmes

A) As soon as payments cleared? You mean like a few weeks after the campaign ended? What concerns were there to be had?

I didn't get any physical rewards from the campaign (I didn't want any and as a Canadian it's generally not a great value) but people who did found them very difficult to contact right off the bat. This also isn't something that applies to me, and I don't share the rage some people had, but there was some controversy about the community management. Again, I'm not a GamerGater, I don't have any opinion one way or another, but unquestionably that situation wasn't handled transparently and Comcept did a bad job at dealing with concerns quickly and quietly.

I can't comment to how quick they have been at responding to backers since I haven't had a reason to contact them but asking for more money to funding extra content is not immoral or worth getting angry about. It's not like they ran out of money to deliver the things they actually promised and were double-dipping to make that up. That would have been a mismanagement of funds and a huge red flag. They simply asked "hey we want to add more stuff to the game, can you help us out?". If you cared, you gave them a little extra. If you didn't, you ignored them. Not that hard. The only real reason to ask for a refund is if you DID actually get scammed (like for example no game is actually being made and they ran off with your money). Even if you don't use those exact words (though plenty others have), you obviously feel that way if you legit want a refund (unless you're exaggerating? I dunno).

I respect that you haven't had to contact Comcept, but I'd hope that you respect the fact that there are Kickstarter backers who keep tabs on projects, both out of personal interest and out of a need for accountability. If everyone who funded a project like this just trusted things to work out without keeping in touch with the developers, a lot of these projects would be worse off. No matter their motivations, some developers (not all) will just hunker down and largely ignore the community, working on the game.

As for why I want a refund, the way things were handled with Deep Silver was the last straw. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game but just as I wanted to vote with my wallet when I wanted it backed, I don't have faith in what Comcept is doing as a business and my only recourse is to ask for my money back. You might think I'm entitled to that or I'm not, but I want to make this clear: I have backed 17 different projects, some of which have been more successful than others, and never have I asked for a refund from the other 16. However, other people have asked for refunds from those campaigns, and never have I heard of the developers denying that. The fact is, to break it down, Comcept would rather have $100 in the bank and have five people furious at the company. No one else I've heard of on Kickstarter would accept that trade-off.

chrono01

Oh, why did someone bump a month old topi-

*reads OP*

Tk1N9KM.gif

One delay I can see. Two...that's pushing it, but these things happen. However, a third delay, for a future that many of us (myself included) don't even want? That's taking things too far.

Mighty No. 9 was my first Kickstarter. I'm a classic Mega Man fan and got caught up into the hype of it all, along with Inafune's promises. In the end, I ended up pledging at the $500 tier (signed sketch) and even added a few add-on's in addition to it. I believe the final total was something like $570, not factoring in the USD --> CDN conversion. Thankfully, our dollar was better than as it is now...

Needless to say, even if the game is great this will end up being the biggest gaming-related decision I'll probably ever make. I just feel so frustrated about the whole process, my excitement for the final game has all but dissipated.

Verder

man fuck this game and this man at this point
im glad i didnt back this but he's taking advantage at this point

Vbrasa

Is it really taking 3 years for them to make a megaman rip off? I hope nobody trusts Inafune for shit after this.

I don't think he's a con artist, he's probably just a creator who got in over his head.

I think it partially ties into what Jim Sterling said last week -- developers and publishers were caught off guard this generation. It's easy to forget that Double Fine and Comcept investing in Unity 4 seemed like a good idea at the time.

Crocodile

I didn't get any physical rewards from the campaign (I didn't want any and as a Canadian it's generally not a great value) but people who did found them very difficult to contact right off the bat. This also isn't something that applies to me, and I don't share the rage some people had, but there was some controversy about the community management. Again, I'm not a GamerGater, I don't have any opinion one way or another, but unquestionably that situation wasn't handled transparently and Comcept did a bad job at dealing with concerns quickly and quietly.

Are you talking about like custom physical items then? Well at least those communication issues got resolved eventually. As for "that Incident", I just assume whatever "side" GamerGate is on is the wrong side - I feel its hard to go wrong on that. That being said, I agree communication has been the biggest issue with this campaign so far. How they managed and communicated (or failed to do so) the second delay was worse than the actual delay itself IMO.

I respect that you haven't had to contact Comcept, but I'd hope that you respect the fact that there are Kickstarter backers who keep tabs on projects, both out of personal interest and out of a need for accountability. If everyone who funded a project like this just trusted things to work out without keeping in touch with the developers, a lot of these projects would be worse off. No matter their motivations, some developers (not all) will just hunker down and largely ignore the community, working on the game.

As for why I want a refund, the way things were handled with Deep Silver was the last straw. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game but just as I wanted to vote with my wallet when I wanted it backed, I don't have faith in what Comcept is doing as a business and my only recourse is to ask for my money back. You might think I'm entitled to that or I'm not, but I want to make this clear: I have backed 17 different projects, some of which have been more successful than others, and never have I asked for a refund from the other 16. However, other people have asked for refunds from those campaigns, and never have I heard of the developers denying that. The fact is, to break it down, Comcept would rather have $100 in the bank and have five people furious at the company. No one else I've heard of on Kickstarter would accept that trade-off.

I have no issue putting developers, publishers, etc. on blast and as I said I think their PR/Communication needed to be much better over the course of these years but usually I feel something drastic needs to go down before people start asking for refunds out of crowdfunded campaigns. These don't work without trust - if people demand a refund any/every time things looked a bit dicey development-wise (which is different than legit shadiness to be clear) the entire model would collapse. The only instance I've seen refunds offered has been when its clear either the project has stalled and has no reasonable chance of continuing on or there has been like no progress on the incomplete game for like 12+ months. Neither is the case here though. We know the game is mostly done, many people have actually played large portions of it. I don't think Comcept has any incentive to give a refund and I find few would be able to argue that they have an obligation to do so as well right now.

megalowho

Didn't bat an eye at the delay news this time. Doesn't really matter to me when I play Mighty No. 9, if at all, at this point, so they might as well take as long as they need.

Questionable post-campaign announcements aside, around halfway through development it became clear the game they were making wasn't exciting me nearly as much as the initial concept - one of the dangers of backing projects before any work has been done. Will reserve full judgement for the release but can't shake the feeling of too much ambition surrounding the periphery elements and not enough poured into the core game itself.

Jigorath

Banned
At first I thought this was the last Mighty No. lol delay thread being bumped.

But it's actually getting delayed again.

I can't stop laughing.

Nose Master

I thought this was the reasoning for the second delay? I have a theory. Inafune never left Capcom. The entirety of Mighty No. 9's shitshow has just been the penultimate wingman campaign for Megaman. Just how excited would you be if Capcom announces a new 2D Megaman for current consoles, now? You'd lose your mind.

Inafune is a treasure. This isn't a game, it's a social experiment. No one person could possible make this many bad decisions regarding a franchise.

illusionary

I'm not cancelling my pre-order just yet (I'd not be able to re-order at the same price), but yeah, this doesn't really look at all good.

I'm with those who don't care in the slightest about multiplayer here...

Eusis

I backed it, don't care about online modes, but honestly don't really care TOO much how long it takes. I learned more and more over time to not get myself super excited for a game unless it's practically right there, which this admittedly was close to being but, uhh, I forgot it was coming out in February.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My oldest son and I had a conversation about the repeated delays less than 24 hours ago. I reassured him that things were probably back on track and he shouldn't worry about the February release.

I should have known better.

Eusis

My oldest son and I had a conversation about the repeated delays less than 24 hours ago. I reassured him that things were probably back on track and he shouldn't worry about the February release.

Never, ever have optimistic conversations about this game coming out.

Vamphuntr

Delays happen and I can understand this but the reason seems a bit far-fetched? It's always the network problems. My guess is that some of the versions aren't up to speed. Heck even their PC demo had slowdowns on my 970 which isn't encouraging. The game itself is fine, I enjoyed the PC trial a lot but people expecting a masterpiece will be disappointed.

They shouldn't have offered all of these ports at launch but back then it was the Kickstarter honeymoon where everything could happen, Capcom was evil for destroying Megaman and Inafune was going to save Megaman's legacy. And we fell for it.

Who's paying when they run out of money? They probably have by now with the delays. Deep Silver?

kadotsu

Banned

One day he'll have the same conversation about MN9 with his son.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man on the moon.

Trojan

Comcept crushing the dreams of kids across the world

flux1

Why not just release online as a patch down the road? I've heard the excuse that they should release as much of the game as possible on disc. However you have to go online to begin with to play that way, so having people download a post update patch isn't a big deal.

Plus they could get the game out and start getting some revenue coming in from sales as I have to imagine they used all the kickstarter funds up by now.

Wow, am I missing something, why are so many of you so negative would you rather have a broken game? Again I'm just jumping in on this so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Top Bottom