• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

Chris1

Jeez, that's not how any of this works.

I'm not talking about the mincraft thing. I'm talking about if you log into PSN with your hotmail account

This reads like a conspiracy theory.
This isn't just a MS specific thing. Google will be able to tell the same aswell. Or Yahoo. Or your ISP. Nor is it a PSN thing either.

How else are they going to verify your account is legit and keep you logged in?

Doukou

The goal is to improve a dumb PR message mostly used shareholders rather than unify Minecraft to create a steamlined biggest game as a service platform around the world.
You guys cracked the case.

May I have a preview and you tell me how you will down talk Gunscape cross play?

No one plays Gunscape on any platform. If you add all of its userbases together, you still get zero concurrent players.

I imagine if Sony were going to encourage cross platform play it would need to be from a game where they saw clear value. Gunscape is most popular (by a huge margin) on steam, where it has 10 concurrent players. Even if you merge its userbases together, you won't get more than 15 players on Gunscape, at any one time. The odds of finding anyone else matchmaking at the same time as you are slim to none.

riotous

Banned
If the issue really is about players logging into Xbox Live, then why doesn't Microsoft allow PlayStation users to login to PSN via SAML through XBL? It's just as easy and secure. I don't think Sony is the only issue here.

You still associate that login with something; that something is an account where MS knows who you are. That's how every single sign on system works; the authentication can be done against anything, but you still then match that to an identity in whatever third party system you are using SAML to authorize against.

If I use Google to log into any of the endless array of sites out there that support googles OAuth implementation, I still end up with an account on that site.

It's really not a huge deal and I doubt Sony cares that much. Minecraft uses dedicated servers so it really wouldn't matter; MS can track you no matter what.

Loonz

Wargroove On Switch, Xbox One And PC Will Allow Users To Create And Share Singleplayer Campaigns

http://wargroove.com/the-campaign-editor/

Well, that's perfect. This is the future, network and userbase sharing is the future and I welcome it.

Sony will end up being bitten in the rear if the don't come to terms to this and find ways, for what's brewing now in the online sphere, to make it work for them and the players in their platform.

In the future, I will not buy a gaming platform that doesn't allow cross online gameplay going forward, I have that very very clear in my mind.

riotous

Banned
This reads like a conspiracy theory..

It's not; it's how free email systems work. Most offer privacy statements where your habits won't be associated with personally identifiable information.

But you become 564ddsad332423dsdas22 in some database somewhere, and stuff parsed from your email gets associated with that. That data is then used for various things; it's how Google now knows you have a flight coming up or a bill due.

Data collection is mostly about 2 things; targeted advertising and aggregate information. For the most part companies don't care about YOU and your habits; they care about running reports on how many people do certain things. They care you are an X aged Male from X city, and that gets tracked and reported on, but nobody goes "What has Huge Succeeded bought this week."

MS may or may not track PSN purchases if you use their email services; but it's not far fetched.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
1. it doesn't explain the Rocket League scenario and 2. I would gladly make an Xbox gamertag if that's all it took for Minecraft cross play on Ps4.

Rocket League...

Ok, back to 'think of the children' then...

:)

I wouldnt have to make an Xbox gamertag, I already have one.

Sucks the extra stuff wont be on PS4 for reasons tho. I would have to get Minecraft for XBO for the definitive version.....when I already have it for PS4.

Too much time trying to decipher business decisions, PR being made these days. I need another TV or monitor so I can just play some games.

Carry on folks.

Izuna

Banned
What? The absolutely CAN get that data if they want.

Sony sends you emails of purchase confirmation right? MS can access your emails. So they will be able to know exactly what you purchased, when and with that payment method.

How do you sign into PSN? By verifying your password with MS servers, which lets MS know when you login PS4. Log out/turn PS4 off? It ends the session which also tells MS play time aswell.

*scans for Paruru gif that's appropriate for this*

tumblr_inline_mnl01xRiLi1qz4rgp.gif

I wonder if you think Google knows about everyone's Uber data...

Edit: NOT talking about Minecraft thing:

Sony sends you emails of purchase confirmation right? MS can access your emails. So they will be able to know exactly what you purchased, when and with that payment method.

How do you sign into PSN? By verifying your password with MS servers, which lets MS know when you login PS4. Log out/turn PS4 off? It ends the session which also tells MS play time aswell.

Compared to requiring it for Minecraft all they would really gain from it is Minecraft specific which they would be able to get anyway from the game, regardless of if you're logged in with a MS account or not
Alex Jones account?

It's not; it's how free email systems work. Most offer privacy statements where your habits won't be associated with personally identifiable information.

But you become 564ddsad332423dsdas22 in some database somewhere, and stuff parsed from your email gets associated with that. That data is then used for various things; it's how Google now knows you have a flight coming up or a bill due.

Gotcha, I'll look into that. I can't consider it a stopping block for crossplay in a world where Google and Apple are a-okay with cross-play, but I guess it's something.

ian-malcolm-dinosaurs-wellthere-it-is.jpg

As expected when Microsoft pretends to be good guy it's time to check the fine print again.

You sign into your Microsoft account to play Minecraft online. It's not different from the myriad other games on PS4 right now that have you sign into their publisher's services, and it enables cross-play and cross-purchases.
Not sure what's in the OP that makes Microsoft out to be the 'bad guy' here, lol.

Synth

You sign into your Microsoft account to play Minecraft online. It's not different from the myriad other games on PS4 right now that have you sign into their publisher's services, and it enables cross-play and cross-purchases.
Not sure what's in the OP that makes Microsoft out to be the 'bad guy' here, lol.

I'd loved to hear the proposed solutions from people that post shit like that.

Do MS have no account system tying players of different platform together (no way to invite someone)?

Do they create the Minecraft account on top of XBL... so they get the exact same info regardless, only making everyone else create another redundant account?

Do they ask to roll PSN out on XBL, Windows, Android, iOS and Switch?

Like... wtf is supposed to be the sane alternative?

Izuna

Banned
Looking at the MS privacy policy, I believe it is only Cortana that will look into private emails and collect information. It's Opt-In, for flights etc. And that's when the emails are downloaded to Windows 10.

They do not automatically collect data from your private emails and read it to know your payment methods and PSN usage.

LNBL

Doubt he/she will stick around to have an actual discussion, drive by meme posting at its best

lefty1117

Gold Member

You seem to be missing or ignoring the point that none of the game publishing partners also happen to be direct competitors in the console market. Why would Sony care if people have to create accounts for FF14? That is no threat to their console base. But MS being able to associate Microsoft accounts with playstation ownership? Yes, that's a big deal.

Again - a plausible theory, the truth could end up being something else entirely but I would not be surprised at all if this was the case. I have seen this - competitive concerns over customer info sharing - prevent partnerships many times in my career.

I'd loved to hear the proposed solutions from people that post shit like that.

Do MS have no account system tying players of different platform together (no way to invite someone)?

Do they create the Minecraft account on top of XBL... so they get the exact same info regardless, only making everyone else create another redundant account?

Do they ask to roll PSN out on XBL, Windows, Android, iOS and Switch?

Like... wtf is supposed to be the sane alternative?

ding ding ding

Dart

Surprised that there's no Twitter campaign going on yet, ya'll might want to get on that.

The past few threads have brought up the same arguments back and forth. Most are quick to argue but take no action. Someone posted this yesterday in another thread:

Sony Interactive Entertainment America LLC
Consumer Services Department
P.O. Box 5888
San Mateo, California, 94402-0888

By Phone: 855-999-SONY (7669)

Seems silly to write or call Sony regarding this issue but posting on NeoGaf does nothing really.

Doesn't seem like we have come to a consensus on the # will be

I've seen some good ones like #BetterTogether, #4TheCrossPlayers etc.

I feel like ones that come off negative like #SonyDon'tBeADick or #againsttheplayers as posted earlier won't get very far.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Apple and Google accounts are also in direct competition with Microsoft accounts, probably even more so.

They didn't seem to care.

You seem to be missing or ignoring the point that none of the game publishing partners also happen to be direct competitors in the console market. Why would Sony care if people have to create accounts for FF14? That is no threat to their console base. But MS being able to associate Microsoft accounts with playstation ownership? Yes, that's a big deal.

Again - a plausible theory, the truth could end up being something else entirely but I would not be surprised at all if this was the case. I have seen this - competitive concerns over customer info sharing - prevent partnerships many times in my career.

Microsoft and Sony are competitors in the console market. They also do tons of business together in general, so I don't understand why console wars esque attitudes are being projected into justification for the business decisions of these companies.
And there's no threat to Playstation ownership from allowing cross-play support for a small handful of games that benefit from it the most. Sony's investment into their ecosystem isn't going to become invalidated because I can play my copy of Minecraft on PS4 with my buddies on Android. It's not gonna effect my purchasing habits other than that I'm going to spend money on Minecraft anywhere but on PS4. It's not gonna invalidate how I see Sony's exclusive library, or how I still have to buy games like Fifa, GTA, and Battlefield on PS4 to play with my PS4 friends.
The impact to Sony if they allow cross-play for a couple of games is constantly overstated here.

Chris1

Looking at the MS privacy policy, I believe it is only Cortana that will look into private emails and collect information. It's Opt-In, for flights etc. And that's when the emails are downloaded to Windows 10.

They do not automatically collect data from your private emails and read it to know your payment methods and PSN usage.
Well I doubt they care about that, but as you said with Cortana, they can do it and there is nothing technically stopping them from obtaining that information. That's all I was saying.

Edit: Was wrong about this part

Oersted

No one plays Gunscape on any platform. If you add all of its userbases together, you still get zero concurrent players.

I imagine if Sony were going to encourage cross platform play it would need to be from a game where they saw clear value. Gunscape is most popular (by a huge margin) on steam, where it has 10 concurrent players. Even if you merge its userbases together, you won't get more than 15 players on Gunscape, at any one time. The odds of finding anyone else matchmaking at the same time as you are slim to none.

Thank you for the preview. So Gunscape is too small, so I guess Minecraft and Rocket League are too big? What are about Wargroove? Too much in the middle?

The past few threads have brought up the same arguments back and forth. Most are quick to argue but take no action. Someone posted this yesterday in another thread:

P.O. Box 5888

Seems silly to write or call Sony regarding this issue but posting on NeoGaf does nothing really.

I feel like ones that come off negative like #SonyDon'tBeADick or #againsttheplayers as posted earlier won't get very far.

Should be something simple and encouraging. Don't know how long #'s can be, but #CrossplayIsTheFuture / #CrossplayFuture or something might be nice. Better Together is good, but also MS's tag line, so that probably wouldn't help.

Rocket League...

Ok, back to 'think of the children' then...

:)

I wouldnt have to make an Xbox gamertag, I already have one.

Sucks the extra stuff wont be on PS4 for reasons tho. I would have to get Minecraft for XBO for the definitive version.....when I already have it for PS4.

Too much time trying to decipher business decisions, PR being made these days. I need another TV or monitor so I can just play some games.

Carry on folks.
Right, and you wouldn't care if you had to log onto Ps4 with your gamertag either right? It's not like I have to log out of my PsN account to log into my gamertag so wtf Sony

P.O. Box 5888

I like #4TheCrossPlayer. It gets the point across very well. Shame I don't have a Twitter account, but I'll actually go ahead and send a snail mail. lol.

riotous

Banned

Looks like they made a pretty big change in 2014 after a case where it came out they caught someone pirating MS software via their email.

Izuna

Banned
Well I doubt they care about that, but as you said with Cortana, they can do it and there is nothing technically stopping them from obtaining that information. That's all I was saying.

PSN usage is another matter because you're authenticating your Hotmail account with MS servers and storing a cookie to keep the session going, MS will definitely be logging how long that session is active for to see where people use their MS account most (or if at all). Same with Google etc. But that's not exactly "PSN Usage" thing, that's just storing how long your session was, which they would need to keep you logged in anyways but in a roundabout way it would tell them how long you were signed into your PS for

No, you don't sign into PSN with the MS account. You sign in with the Email Address. That's why the password etc. is all different. The Email Address is essentially a user name.

Do you have any idea what it would be like if that wasn't the case?

leeh

Edit: NOT talking about Minecraft thing:

Compared to requiring it for Minecraft all they would really gain from it is Minecraft specific which they would be able to get anyway from the game, regardless of if you're logged in with a MS account or not
It sounds like you've been taking a lesson from my Mum in IT security.

None of this happens and none of if is technically feasible and some of it is technically wrong.

When you say you sign into your PSN account with your Microsoft 'account' its just an email address, not an account. There's no link.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Microsoft and Sony are competitors in the console market. They also do tons of business together in general, so I don't understand why console wars esque attitudes are being projected into justification for the business decisions of these companies.
And there's no threat to Playstation ownership from allowing cross-play support for a small handful of games that benefit from it the most. Sony's investment into their ecosystem isn't going to become invalidated because I can play my copy of Minecraft on PS4 with my buddies on Android. It's not gonna effect my purchasing habits other than that I'm going to spend money on Minecraft anywhere but on PS4. It's not gonna invalidate how I see Sony's exclusive library, or how I still have to buy games like Fifa, GTA, and Battlefield on PS4 to play with my PS4 friends.

The impact is constantly overstated here.

OK - if you think MS wanting access to PS4 users that they can market to directly, and Sony wanting to prevent that, is not a showstopper for a crossplay agreement, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm coming from the position of actually having seen things like this in business, but I do agree with you that it may not be the case here. Just presenting a plausible theory about what is happening, based on my own experience.

I can see how this Live login would rub Sony the wrong way, but it really doesn't explain the other games not tied to Live that are also not getting cross-play.

Tumle

Has anyone asked the question about friends lists? How do I invite my cross platform friends into Minecraft or RL? Or are we talking about just expanding the player pool with no direct joining?
Like the thread says you make an Xbox live account and join them from there

Chris1

No, you don't sign into PSN with the MS account. You sign in with the Email Address. That's why the password etc. is all different. The Email Address is essentially a user name.

Do you have any idea what it would be like if that wasn't the case?
Ohhh I see where you're at

I don't have a PS. You're right. Ignore me. I was thinking about how you can sign into sites/skype/etc with your facebook/hotmail/etc which does connect with those servers.
It sounds like you've been taking a lesson from my Mum in IT security.

None of this happens and none of if is technically feasible and some of it is technically wrong.

When you say you sign into your PSN account with your Microsoft 'account' its just an email address, not an account. There's no link.

Yea I was wrong sorry! I explained where I went wrong above. I edited that part out of my posts

Ivan 3414

Nintendo, of all companies, doesn't seem to give a shit.

The same Nintendo that was offered a Goldeneye 64 port if they let Xbox have it too and responded like this:

1HWQIPa.gif

That's not what happened. Microsoft came to Nintendo with a deal where they would allow a GoldenEye port on Virtual Console, if Microsoft could release a GoldenEye remake on Xbox 360. It's easier to understand why Nintendo turned that down, despite the decision sucking for gamers.

Top Bottom