• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaMelon

This thread is full of MH fans who don't like this decidedly not MH showing and non-MH fans who don't know much about the series confused as to why people aren't impressed. One thing's for certain, this does not seem to be aimed at existing MH fans.

Capcom please tell me you've got MH5 or portable 5 or whatever traditional main line game in the works for Switch. If they butcher this franchise in search of that elusive 10 million I'm gonna cry.

Quadratic

I'm not sure if I'm on board with what has been shown so far. I'll pass judgement when we see the weapons and how they are used. This almost seems like a regression from what makes MH tick. They didn't even show a full party of hunters fighting a monster.

I'll probably go get a switch and play MHXX instead.

JP_

Banned
The haters are ridiculous. Looks awesome.

Grapple looks great. Stealth could add a lot to monhun (one reason Horizon gameplay was fun). And people say it looks rough? Have they never played monhun? Looks like it retains the feel of monhun with a bit more refinement. I've waited like 10 years for a real monhun game to hit a modern system and it looks like it's finally happening.

Only thing that looked questionable to me was the overdone particles that fly around everywhere. And the camera looked a bit too close. And based on the trailer, I was worried it was singleplayer, but their art has multiple hunters so hopefully it's still the co-op we love.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So how do we know this is a spinoff?? The main team isn't making it?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'll be happy to play MH on a console.

But damn did they fuck shit up by adding a lot of those mechanics they showed off. Don't need a damn hook to traverse or get back on the monster..

Hopefully it still feels like MH and not some diluted action game.

Meffer

Combat looks really slow but with the use of traps and camouflage seems to help that. This certainly more of a hunting game than classic Monster Hunter. But the reason why MH is so good and loved is because it's kinda like a fighting game.

DrArchon

Yeah, gotta see some actual combat before I write this off completely. Combat is the backbone of MonHun, and if that's still good then I can take some more radical changes.

Not a great first impression though. Tracking monsters looks painfully boring (detective vision is a blight on the industry as far as I'm concerned), I have zero interest in stealthing around monsters, and while the new mounting has potential, there wasn't enough shown for me to get a feel for it.

Could be good, could be crap, feeling pessimistic at the moment though. At least there will finally be some quality models for the series outside of weird MMOs.

thefil

Started off really negative when I saw the trailer, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt now that none of it is super scripted and everything we saw is more organic in a living Monster Hunter World, which would be awesome.

I think my issue with the trailer is that it seemed to ditch the more, well, cartoony aspects of Monster Hunter. There was no Palicos, no Melynx/Felynxes, and the one thing that would have relieved me(The Meatplaying Jingle) was absent from a reveal trailer.

Also, if it has regenerating health then Fuck no, I'm out.

Ok i'm going to give this a shot with my friends on ps4 that have not played much MH before so i'm curious to see how they react to the game since they don't know all that much about it.

I'm not sold on all the changes but I will give it a fair shot.

Soulstar

I really want to see more combat before I come to any conclusions. If the combat is watered down then I am far less interested in this game but if it has the classic MH combat plus all of this new stuff then I am pretty jazzed about this game.

cheezcake

This thread is full of MH fans who don't like this decidedly not MH showing and non-MH fans who don't know much about the series confused as to why people aren't impressed. One thing's for certain, this does not seem to be aimed at existing MH fans.

Capcom please tell me you've got MH5 or portable 5 or whatever traditional main line game in the works for Switch. If they butcher this franchise in search of that elusive 10 million I'm gonna cry.

I've never seen MH gameplay in my life and this looked awful. I can't think of a single thing about it that should impress me.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's really easy to predict when a monster is low enough for capture. Just tranq it, trap, and then wail on it if you don't immediately get the capture. Waste of points.
You need to find better hunters; beating into oblivion with no rest is too easy.

Arzehn

THIS IS EVERYTHING I WAS HOPING FOR

Worldwide servers

SEAMLESS MAP!!!!

I LOVE YOU CAPCOM

Yeah love that's it's simultaneous release and we get cross-region play. Servers should be well populated for a long time. Now if only PS4 and Xbox (and later PC) can play together...

forrest

formerly nacire
Looks like the worst monster hunter spinoff. Cannot imagine anyone who put in time to the mainline series is excited for this.

Really, alot of us who have been playing mainline for a long ass time have been hoping for a higher fidelity console or pc version. I thought this looked pretty great with the exception that they didn't really show a lot of combat, only like one sword swing?, and the glowy bits that seemed to lead the hunter from a footprint, to a corpse, etc. etc.

Can't wait to see more and I'm super hopeful that we get a gorgeous version rooted in the great gameplay that the series is known for.

As a HUGE fan of Monster Hunter, I have to say that this is not what I wanted to see when Monster Hunter came to PS4. I guess I'll have to stick to the mainline releases on Nintendo hardware.

Maybe if this does well we can get a real Monster Hunter game on PS4.

Wildo09

I think this game might end up being good. Maybe they didn't show the combat because its traditional MonHun combat and that may turn off newcomers. The grappling hook and weird particles won't break the game much. All in all I think this might be a good entry.

Espada

It looks like Dragon's Dogma.

You can grab and climb onto monsters like Dragon's Dogma.

Several of the animations seem to have been lifted straight from Dragon's Dogma.

It's coming to PC.

This game would have to be absolute dogshit for me not to get it. Holy shit, that was one of the few highlights of Sony's showcase.

studyguy

I mean I enjoy the fuck out of MH and have played most of the other offshoots, MHO & Frontier. To me it's fine that it's different, thread seems to be taking it as the death of the franchise or something when we know virtually nothing about it. Idk, seemed like it could be fun. I enjoyed DD and Lost Planet and it gave vibes of both those titles so w/e. We'll see.

Riposte

It's probably going to avoid zoning, which I fear will cause either/both less variety within environments (constrained by realism) and more useless space between you and the places that matter. I have the imagine the latter will deeply change the whole tracking, escaping, etc. mechanics.

Crosseyes

Banned
The continuous world and drop in multiplayer stuff is new but I don't see how that stuff can't coexist with staple monster hunter mechanics.

What did people see that convinced them that old MH is ripped out? Gathering, hub world, prep inventory, weapon progression and crafting...

All of that stuff is still probably in unless said otherwise, right?

I'm indifferent. Looks like a spinoff to me, and I'm not the biggest fan of stealth in video games.

They promised stealth mechanics in the original PS2 trailer for MH1 when people were stalking the Gypceros. But we never got proper stealth/stalking mechanics.

I've been a fan since the very first one on PS2 and have been playing all the way up to 3DS. I'm completely ready for a shake up and very excited for MHW. If I wanted traditional MH, I literally have like a dozen other games to play that will appease that.

Meh, it's mostly salty Switch fanboys flocking over from the media create thread to shit on it.

Damn, that's harsh. I'm personally a huge MH fan and have a PC that should be able to run this game at max, however it just didn't look that interesting. Maybe it's still early, but when I think of a next gen MH title for PS4, Xbox and PC I think of more progression, like a huge leap forward. Maybe my expectations weren't in check.

Zexen

DCKohSyUMAAu6Ze.jpg:large

Adding to OP.
Not simultaneous PC launch, they never learn.

sinonobu

Banned
Okay watching the trailer again kinda got me hyped again.

Not exactly what I expected but I'll def give a shot.

I need games for Xbox One X anways

Not quite sure how I feel about it so far but I'm gonna give it a shot though. Provided that XX comes west this year, everybody gets what they want anyways. I do find it odd that its not numbered. It makes me wonder if they are attempting a Devil May Cry/DmC thing again.
All this moaning, Switch users wish a Monster Hunter that look like this one.

Day fucking One!
this console warrior shit needs to stop.

Cnoodles

Neo Member
I cannot believe some are so negative about this game. Graphics look amazing and combat looked so good. Shit looks like an insta buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom