• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

Zolo

Sexualization isn't about arousal you know. No one is getting hot and bothered over low poly models

Yeah.......this isn't true. If people can get turned on by random objects in the real world, they can certainly get turned on by low poly models. :/

krizzx

It's really not about what you call it.
People want the game how it was made and sold in Japan. It doesn't matter if it's edited or censored or whatever for the west. It's just a word.
Many people buy Japanese games because they like Japanese games, not westernized versions of Japanese games.

This is pretty much it to the letter.

lol, I think I've made my stance clear in that I'm very anti-censorship and also anti-GG in this thread, but I guess I should have put an /s anyway.

No one was calling anyone in this thread GGers, people were expressing an entirely valid issue they take with being on the same side of a discussion that's co-opted by a pretty severe, awful group, nor does anyone think that people who are on that side of the discussion also think that people who "side" with GGers on this issue are okay with GGers.

First they take my low poly boobies, and I say nothing because I understand. But now they change story? I was pretty excited for this because I really liked the first but if it's true they're changing things to get rid of "bad" endings/routes then what's the point? Why give choices if you're not going to let them affect anything. I don't really know that I'll be buying my CE anymore, may wait and pick it up later at this rate. I'm cool with silly stuff like costumes and the class change or whatever but if you're going to mess with the ability to make choices it definitely pushes this down a bit. Especially when there's a lot of other stuff coming in the next couple months I could put the money towards.

Zolo

Question, what is the context of the choices? Are there benefits to doing a negative choice?

From what I could tell in the post, it seems like you pick something and the other character dies. I then think there's more you have to do that somehow gets both alive, but it's after doing an entire other segment. Probably wrong though since I haven't researched or read the post TOO closely.

sensui-tomo

Don't care about costume changes, doesn't affect gameplay. I do care if quests were gutted though. If that's true this is a no buy. If it's to save a buck for localization then that's terrible unless the game is cheaper as a result.

rhandino

Banned
Maybe at some point bondage was important to the game. Or maybe it was promo art. BioShock Infinite's art book for the first couple of pages shows unused concept art of enemies that were modeled after the original game before they decided to go with a more Americana theme. It's nice to see all stages of what a game goes through in development. Where it started and what the final vision was.
Yeah, and to be fair the 2nd image it's like a prototype of the official illustration of Agnes in the game:

8OiWxWL.png

But they made the strings/rope more subtle so it looks more like a pose instead of full-on bondage.

Don't care about costume changes, doesn't affect gameplay. I do care if quests were gutted though. If that's true this is a no buy. If it's to save a buck for localization then that's terrible unless the game is cheaper as a result.

Assuming Nintendo is handling this, I don't think they'd do that - have they ever straight-up cut out content just to save money on VA/translation?

Yes, people are validly uncomfortable with being on the same side as a movement that has been co-opted to a rather significant degree by a violent hate group

This isn't like "Hitler liked dogs", this is "this one, small movement has a lot of negative elements that directly affect me and thus I find it uncomfortable to associate with it."

You yourself are calling it a small, fringe movement.

Censorship, whether in movies, games, books, etc is not a fringe issue, it's a very broad one even when it's self-censorship. Thinking you're associating with a fringe group because of this one issue is really weird to me. If Hitler is too strong a comparison but we're still going for broadness (because that's what censorship is), you might as well say "I'm uncomfortable playing video games because gamergate is now one of the faces of gaming".

I won't say you're not allowed to feel this way, it's just an alien mindset to me.

Out of curiosity, has anyone been playing the European version here and can say there aren't multiple endings to quests? I am more than willing to raise pitchforks over it, but I want to make sure it's not misinformation first.

Escalario

Banned
Assuming Nintendo is handling this, I don't think they'd do that - have they ever straight-up cut out content just to save money on VA/translation?

FE: Fates.
But it's SE doing the localization for this, not Nintendo.

Out of curiosity, has anyone been playing the European version here and can say there aren't multiple endings to quests? I am more than willing to raise pitchforks over it, but I want to make sure it's not misinformation first.

I think you will have more luck finding answer in the |OT|

Eusis

They're not handling it, but we have gotten fewer VA choices in Xenoblade X and Fire Emblem Awakening (though that was also due to having Japanese VA in.)

You yourself are calling it a small, fringe movement.

Censorship, whether in movies, games, books, etc is not a fringe issue, it's a very broad one even when it's self-censorship. Thinking you're associating with a fringe group because of this one issue is really weird to me. If Hitler is too strong a comparison but we're still going for broadness (because that's what censorship is), you might as well say "I'm uncomfortable playing video games because gamergate is now one of the faces of gaming".

I won't say you're not allowed to feel this way, it's just an alien mindset to me.

"Fringe"

The thing of all this is, for how you made a post intimating that people were calling members of the movement GamerGaters, you're actively making false accusations of things I've said. I said it was small, and that's about it.

They're not handling it, but we have gotten fewer VA choices in Xenoblade X and Fire Emblem Awakening (though that was also due to having Japanese VA in.)

What do you mean VA choices? Like, for the avatar character?

sensui-tomo

Well we'll never know if the quests were cut to cheapen the cost of VAs. The best way to describe this "if ffx international was the original release and everyone else got plain vanilla ffx which is less content" and even then it's not explaining the point good enough, this change lowers value for people who replay games.

"Fringe"

The thing of all this is, for how you made a post intimating that people were calling members of the movement GamerGaters, you're actively making false accusations of things I've said. I said it was small, and that's about it.

Alright, my original post was hyperbole and combative and I apologize.

This just isn't the first time people said it's impossible to disassociate the two, including a mod here saying it. It's a very toxic atmosphere when trying to discuss certain things.

Kaisos

Aren't there countries in Europe that have strict laws against the depiction of bondage? That might be why stuff in the artbook was removed.

As for them shuffling around quest endings, I have NO idea.

Escalario

Banned
Aren't there countries in Europe that have strict laws against the depiction of bondage? That might be why stuff in the artbook was removed.

As for them shuffling around quest endings, I have NO idea.

Well, Germany's gaming laws are strict af, so it could be their fault. And considering the Special Edition is EU-wide (hence the horrible german rating logo on it), the possibility is there. Sony had to censor The Last of Us multiplayer in EU because of Germany.

As someone perfectly OK with all changes in the original BD and Fire Emblem Fates, many of these changes seem more gratuitous than either's. For one Magnolia has a more obviously grown up woman body, so the pedophilia overtones are gone. Her Japanese hunter costume is ridiculous, though, and not just ridiculous in the way hunter costumes in Bravely game always are; I'm very glad that one was changed. Others have varying levels of justification, with the bunny costume the most unnecesary one (it didn't even have that big of a cleavage, and it's a bunny girl costume).

What I don't get is the rationale behind the Native American to cowboy change. So it's insensitive to include a member of a massacred people but it's perfectly OK to include the ones that massacred them?

What do you mean VA choices? Like, for the avatar character?

Yes. The Japanese versions of X and Fates had 10 and 5 voices per gender for the MC respectively. These were cut to 7 and 3 in the Western release. Hence less voice recordings and money saved. On the subject of Fates, the removal of the minigame led to a lot of voice dialogue slots being unused in the western release. Most of it was grunts and the like however.

As for BD2, the costume changes are par for the course at this point (particularly since BD1 had done the same) but the cut content for the side quests is just shit. People have the right to be pissed off about that.

Can't say I'll be bothered about it myself though since I'll be passing on BD2.

A child with boobs is worse than a child without boobs, I think would be the reasoning here

But they're not children though? They're just chibi. I can absolutely understand why someone would make that distinction, depending on how the character is viewed in terms of sexuality.

Tohsaka

I did one of the quests that the GameFAQs guy mentioned, and it was changed. Other people have mentioned the details of the various quests (I don't really want to get too into spoilers), but in the sidequests you have to choose between fighting two different people because of their points of views on things, and people can end up dying in the outcomes that were removed. There's another outcome later in the game that involves spoilers that they replaced it with, which is less negative.

Kaisos

But they're not children though? They're just chibi. I can absolutely understand why someone would make that distinction, depending on how the character is viewed in terms of sexuality.

Do you think the average journalist can tell the difference between a chibi character and a child?

They're trying to avoid having their game plastered all over the news with headlines like SICK PEDO GAME CORRUPTS CHILDREN or whatever.

Tohsaka

Do you think the average journalist can tell the different between a chibi character and a child?

They're trying to avoid having their game plastered all over the news with headlines like SICK PEDO GAME CORRUPTS CHILDREN or whatever.

The character in question is shown in regular full size in the game's CG, there's no mistaking her for a child.

Giever

What I don't get is the rationale behind the Native American to cowboy change. So it's insensitive to include a member of a massacred people but it's perfectly OK to include the ones that massacred them?

Obviously it gets tricky when they've replaced the Native American class with a Cowboy class, but I think the reasoning is pretty clear. They weren't "including a member of a massacred people" as though it would have been decent representation. The class is a caricature of a people that have been devastated. It's more "okay" to have a Cowboy caricature because: 1) Cowboys aren't a race, and 2) Cowboys didn't have a genocide committed against them.

Again, it obviously gets weird when we consider that they outright replaced the Native American job with the Cowboy job, but yeah.

Do you think the average journalist can tell the different between a chibi character and a child?

Doing a quick search online while the characters seem to all be adults in both versions of the game after the time skip between default and second. In Default the characters were aged up a few years in the Western version since they were teenagers in the Japanese version.

Kaisos

The character in question is shown in regular full size in the game's CG, there's no mistaking her for a child.

That... doesn't matter? You're assuming that news agencies are inclined to be honest instead of prone to sensationalizing everything.

Doing a quick search online while the characters seem to all be adults in both versions of the game after the time skip between default and second. In Default the characters were aged up a few years in the Western version since they were teenagers in the Japanese version.

The number you give doesn't matter when to the untrained eye they -look- like children.

Gradon

Does Professor Layton count? I'm gonna be honest and say I'm not entirely sure where Nintendo steps in with that franchise so it could be Level-5 but they removed an RPG mode from one of them for Europe because translation would be too much money. They didn't even include just an English version, not even for UK. Game was full price as far as I remember too.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I did one of the quests that the GameFAQs guy mentioned, and it was changed. Other people have mentioned the details of the various quests (I don't really want to get too into spoilers), but in the sidequests you have to choose between fighting two different people because of their points of views on things, and people can end up dying in the outcomes that were removed. There's another outcome later in the game that involves spoilers that they replaced it with, which is less negative.

That's really bizarre...
Was this due to player complaints? This doesn't really sound like violent or sexual content so it had to be due to negative reaction.

The point is that the Tomahawk class is made by people who are, in all likelihood, woefully ignorant of the basis for the class and likely just based it on vague stereotypes.

I think thats why we were missing Navi Trackers in Four Swords Adventures, but thats the only example I can think of.

Ah yeah, that would probably stand as an example. Funny too since I just made a thread about that.

Does Professor Layton count? I'm gonna be honest and say I'm not entirely sure where Nintendo steps in with that franchise so it could be Level-5 but they removed an RPG mode from one of them for Europe because translation would be too much money. They didn't even include just an English version, not even for UK. Game was full price as far as I remember too.

Do you mean the London Life thing? Huh. I suppose I can see why, since IIRC they need to have it localized for certain languages, right?

So costume changes I can understand but the quest ending removal sounds like a pretty strange decision. I feel like there's a reason that's not so apparent from the OP. Do any of these side quests endings have some potentially objectionable content you wouldn't find in the first game? ATM it looks like S-E was just cutting corners with the dub budget.

Kaisos

So costume changes I can understand but the quest ending removal sounds like a pretty strange decision. I feel like there's a reason that's not so apparent from the OP. Do any of these side quests endings have some potentially objectionable content you wouldn't find in the first game? ATM it looks like S-E was just cutting corners with the dub budget.

It's probably because
the best outcomes were originally only available on NG+, and one of the biggest criticisms of BD was how much content was only in the replays?

It's weird that they cut the bad endings -at all-, tho.

It's more "okay" to have a Cowboy caricature because: 1) Cowboys aren't a race, and 2) Cowboys didn't have a genocide committed against them.

Ah, I see. That kind of makes sense, even if indeed the replacement isn't the most fortunate choice (and I have to wonder how much sense will the Native American's skills make in a cowboy).

That... doesn't matter? You're assuming that news agencies are inclined to be honest instead of prone to sensationalizing everything.

You have a point. I'm so used to parsing chibi characters as adults that I simply can't unsee them as such, especially one with proportions such as Magnolia's, but of course any shoddy reporter with a desire for controversy could stil paint them as children. I still remember some described even Dragon's Crown witch as "lolicon".

Problem is, doesn't that apply to every game to feature such a style? If FFVII was released today, what would they say of the brothel scenes?

GamerJM

Banned
What audience was this game initially designed for?

...JRPG fans. Who are probably kids too!

do you not like any JRPGs

because reading your posts in this topic I'm getting that impression from you but I don't know if that's what you're trying to get across

Also I didn't really like Bravely Default either, but I don't really think its issues were representative of the entire genre.

Top Bottom