• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

Giever

Uh, if you read the conversation thread you would know that I specifically referenced "the more unfortunate people" in the movement.

You're misunderstanding. There's no concern over being 'grouped' with them, or on their 'side'. You aren't associated with them by sharing the opinion that removing some alternative side-quest endings is lame anymore than you're associated with them by sharing the fact that you both need to eat food. If you dislike some of the opinions those individuals have, the only reason to feel gross or dumb about yourself is if you share those opinions, not because you hold an opinion (that you think is fine) that they also happen to have.

rhandino

Banned
Oh, I can totally see why they felt the need to omit one of those pages...

EAabkba.png

I'm amused at Bravely Default trying iT with those bondage illustrations.

Do you think the artists approved of their art being removed in the art book?
Do they own the art they made or is owned by S-E?

Dice//

Banned
Do you think the artists approved of their art being removed in the art book?

I doubt it works that way. They're paid up for concept artwork and promotional materials more than necessarily and strictly because...
"
i1dQ3bT.gif
"

THere's definitely an element of that to it, but there's a HUGE approval process before "the artist's" selections are determined; and it's rarely right the first go.

Warxard

Banned
Pretty sure Yoshida wouldn't care about sketches either.

I mean, he has a twitter. Why don't you guys ask him if he cares or not.

Please don't bother a person about stupid shit like that

#FE deserves to die anyways, they somehow thought both fanbases wanted. I'm glad that game failed in japan.

yeah that game is ass

Negator

Have you ever been around a child

Look at the demographic that owns Nintendo handhelds

I can only speak from my experiences, and my nephews and distant relatives with children barely play their 3DS over their tablets, and I highly doubt they would ever be interested in Bravely Default style games.

FluxWaveZ

If we're discussing the art book...why would Yoshida care, dude doesn't work at Square Enix anymore. He probably took the check and bounced. Doesn't matter if they approved or otherwise, it's not their IP

That's besides the point. An artist who put a lot of time and effort into their work, and having that shared with the public through an art book. And suits then deciding that the documentation of some of their effort and work should be cut out because it isn't appropriate for a certain audience. That's fine and dandy? We should be okay with that? You honestly think an artist wouldn't care about that?

muteki

The idea that it's impossible for an artist or content creator to be presented with reasons why something might be poorly made/written, and to have them agree and make changes according to critique as censorship is absurd.

Do you have some inside information that 100% undeniably proves this is how this change happened? The idea that the opposite can't be true is equally as absurd. These arguments always go in circles because no one here actually knows.

#FE deserves to die anyways, they somehow thought both fanbases wanted. I'm glad that game failed in japan.

The game has plenty of positive reactions from people who either were able to get over what they were "promised" and didn't get, or didn't care in the first place. It doesn't "deserve to die".

You're misunderstanding. There's no concern over being 'grouped' with them, or on their 'side'. You aren't associated with them by sharing the opinion that removing some alternative side-quest endings is lame anymore than you're associated with them by sharing the fact that you both need to eat food. If you dislike some of the opinions those individuals have, the only reason to feel gross or dumb about yourself is if you share those opinions, not because you hold an opinion (that you think is fine) that they also happen to have.

I dislike being associated with this side of the discussion because this side of the discussion is co-opted by GG and related groups.

yeah that game is ass

Most people who actually have played it seem to like it that I've seen. What didn't you like?

Tales From Your Ass 2: Electric Boogaloo

Okay, let's go through the totally absurd scenarios where removing pages from an artbook that are too sexy or violent isn't censorship.

1. Laziness. The guy in charge of adapting the book somehow omitted some pages because he/she didn't feel like arranging it in full. They just so happened to be the pages that could be offensive.

2. Page shortages: There's not enough trees to cut down for the projected number of books to make, so might as well omit a few pages here and there. They just so happen to be the pages that could be offensive.

3. Error: Someone fucked up with arranging the pages for the adapted art book and the pages omitted just so happened to be the ones that could be offensive.

Dice//

Banned

EAabkba.png

Yeah, I find it dubious to say that this too was for the sake of "art" and more demonstrate her in a sensitive, frail, and sexualized pose referencing bondage.

I mean, when do you get dude's bound up this way?

Eusis

Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"
Yeah, while blocking out bare bellies comes off as overtly conservative/sensitive... This is outright insulting really. We were the ones that frequently had dynamic quest outcomes in our RPGs, why the hell are you dumbing this shit down? I suppose it's possible though that everyone just obsessively tried to do things "right" so they figured that it was pointless, but it smacks of StarCraft II making every choice "right."

That's besides the point. An artist who put a lot of time and effort into their work, and having that shared with the public through an art book. And suits then deciding that the documentation of some of their effort and work should be cut out because it isn't appropriate for a certain audience. That's fine and dandy? We should be okay with that? You honestly think an artist wouldn't care about that?
As an artist I certainly wouldn't give a shit.

Warxard

Banned
I can only speak from my experiences, and my nephews and distant relatives with children barely play their 3DS over their tablets, and I highly doubt they would ever be interested in Bravely Default style games.

Maybe you shouldn't use anecdotal references to back an argument

Yes. That's how contractual, freelance work operates.

Teeth

The example that first comes to mind is Vaan - IIRC, wasn't his clothing modified to capitalize upon like, the Gackt crowd or something?

You're going to have a really difficult time arguing that "focus testing" somehow hasn't been a part of some of the grandest works of art in Western society.

A good chunk of Renaissance art was spearheaded by artists with legions of unpaid "interns" doing the grunt work to match the key artist's style the closest, all funded by the most rich and corrupt organizations of the period specifically to push their agenda to the masses as they saw fit.

And those are widely considered some of the greatest pieces of art of human history.

FluxWaveZ

I doubt it works that way. They're paid up for concept artwork and promotional materials more than necessarily and strictly because...
"
i1dQ3bT.gif
"

THere's definitely an element of that to it, but there's a HUGE approval process before "the artist's" selections are determined; and it's rarely right the first go.

I agree with the "how" and, consequently, with what you guys are saying. But from a top level, what I'm arguing is that I heavily doubt the creative talent who put in the work to convey that to a wider audience would be all smiles about it being utterly erased, like some are here. I don't see it.

Yes. That's how contractual, freelance work operates.

Maybe I'm just misguided then, but I would think that those who put in that kind of work would be more invested in it than it being a throwaway project.

It's really not about what you call it.
People want the game how it was made and sold in Japan. It doesn't matter if it's edited or censored or whatever for the west. It's just a word.
Many people buy Japanese games because they like Japanese games, not westernized versions of Japanese games.
Then say that instead of using a word that has very different meaning from that.

diaspora

Okay, let's go through the totally absurd scenarios where removing pages from an artbook that are too sexy or violent isn't censorship.

1. Laziness. The guy in charge of adapting the book somehow omitted some pages because he/she didn't feel like arranging it in full. They just so happened to be the pages that could be offensive.

2. Page shortages: There's not enough trees to cut down for the projected number of books to make, so might as well omit a few pages here and there. They just so happen to be the pages that could be offensive.

3. Error: Someone fucked up with arranging the pages for the adapted art book and the pages omitted just so happened to be the ones that could be offensive.
Maybe they themselves didn't like the sketches? Maybe they were criticised by their fans and they agreed that they were worth clipping out. Neither of these situations are censorship, self or otherwise.

As someone who's spent the last 3 days basically doing nothing but playing Bravely Second, I support every decision made ever.

I wish they'd increase the amount of Job points you get in contrast to EXP though. I'm leveling too fast in contrast to my jobs.

Zaventem

The game has plenty of positive reactions from people who either were able to get over what they were "promised" and didn't get, or didn't care in the first place. It doesn't "deserve to die".

If you think 23k sales is a great reaction to a crossover many people wanted i don't know what to tell you.

Maybe they themselves didn't like the sketches? Maybe they were criticised by their fans and they agreed that they were worth clipping out. Neither of these situations are censorship, self or otherwise.

Why were the artbooks criticized? Too sexy and violent? In that case, removing it for another region is censorship.

Also, no one criticizes an art book for what's in them. They criticize them for what isn't in them.

Dice//

Banned
Eliciting a sexual reaction counts as art.

Aw, but then that business aspect comes in, and that's what Nintendo is. Also, said sexual reaction comes at the expense of a vulnerable female drawn for bondage who was level-99 in the previous game. But damn that red ribbon.

EDIT: Okay I just bluntly googled "Japanese bondage art", and literally every one of those poses on the artbook page is right in that googl search.

Koyuga

Then let me have underwear Ringabel!

NP89GzT.jpg

This is more of the direction I'd like to see us go in instead of taking out sexualized content, equal sexualization for male characters as well. Kinda like how Akiba Strip added content to make up for the disproportionate sexualization of female characters.

Yeah, I find it dubious to say that this too was for the sake of "art" and more demonstrate her in a sensitive, frail, and sexualized pose referencing bondage.

So? Art isn't allowed to do that?
Then I have to ask you: why are you getting mad about something you don't even care about?
Why do you think I'm mad?
I care about future localizations for actually good games not making similar changes. This isn't an isolated incident or exists in a vacuum.

LiK

EAabkba.png

Meh, just some random doodles.

diaspora

Why were the artbooks criticized? Too sexy and violent? In that case, removing it for another region is censorship.

Also, no one criticizes an art book for what's in them. They criticize them for what isn't in them.
No, it isn't. Not be any reasonable interpretation of the term. If they're criticised for- say not matching a particular mood or theme of the game and are thusly removed in agreement with people pointing it out, it isn't censorship. If I re-publish code, writing, or photography with changes that I agree were poorly made or in poor taste it isn't censorship.

Dice//

Banned

Aw, but then that business aspect comes in, and that's what Nintendo is. Also, said sexual reaction comes at the expense of a vulnerable female drawn for bondage who was level-99 in the previous game. But damn that red ribbon.

This is more of the direction I'd like to see us go in instead of taking out sexualized content, equal sexualization for male characters as well. Kinda like how Akiba Strip added content to make up for the disproportionate sexualization of female characters.

Not my favourite solution, but if a slow transition or compromise is what people need, then totally for this too.

(shame that Ringabell costume was, iirc, removed entirely too, right?)

That's still art though.

I think you're putting waaaay too much into the "art" argument. I agree art is important to be preserved, but the business angle won't let it. Furthermore, I think, and not to be presumptuous, more artists are happier to be working than to be fighting the good fight because some cleavage got covered up. All of this exists in the Japanese version, so I mean, my arguments only go so far.

Escalario

Banned

Why do you think I'm mad?
I care about future localizations for actually good games not making similar changes. This isn't an isolated incident or exists in a vacuum.

You caring about localizations of games not gonna change anything, just saiyan'. Or anyone posting here, for that matter.

It's really not about what you call it.
People want the game how it was made and sold in Japan. It doesn't matter if it's edited or censored or whatever for the west. It's just a word.
Many people buy Japanese games because they like Japanese games, not westernized versions of Japanese games.

I love Japanese games. I grew up with them as a child, imported a whole bunch when I was younger, and still play a ton of Japanese titles to this day.

Probably 99% of the time, I have not given an iota of shit about changes made to the Western version. Most of the time, the changes are to remove or edit unclothed little girls, and who gives a flying fuck if they make it into the English version or not.

Top Bottom