• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

213372bu

Banned
It's unfortunate that Nintendo goes down this path. I know it's for localization purposes, but removal of content or changing is always a bummer.

Also, Nintendo's priorities are so weird in the artbook's situation:

Keep the swimsuit artwork, but delete a four-piece artwork that's just different perspectives of a girl with arms tied behind on her back?

So strange.

Edit: So apparently the actual localization was contracted out of SE, but I recall it be done under Nintendo's policies(?).

Either way, the sentiment of this post is the same.

Son Of D

Nintendo gutting another game? Surprise surprise.

Can't wait to get 3/4ths of DQ7.

It's unfortunate that Nintendo goes down this path. I know it's for localization purposes, but removal of content or changing is always a bummer.

Keep the swimsuit artwork, but delete a four-piece artwork that's just different perspectives of a girl with arms tied behind on her back?

So strange.
If you both read the thread then it was SE who made the changes...

Pretty sure Nintendo is publishing and responsible for any changes to the game in the West.

Not true, Square-Enix supervises and signs off on everything. More than likely, they're making all the decisions, but even if they weren't, they would be actively agreeing to them.

Don't spread misinformation.

fernoca

Nintendo gutting another game? Surprise surprise.

Can't wait to get 3/4ths of DQ7.

So strange.

Square Enix.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Now that's overreacting.

Also, as people said, Square-Enix is responsible.
That seems odd. SE doesn't have a recent history of """localization""" like Nintendo does.

Not saying you're wrong, but are we sure that Nintendo doesn't have any oversight to this? It seems odd that the one SE game to have these changes is also published by the same company cutting up all of their localizations.

Ridley327

Also, it's important to point out that Squenix also produces the goods that come with the SE, to the point where Nintendo isn't even listed as the publisher on them for at least NA. They're making all of these changes, even if someone else is paying for them.

213372bu

Banned
Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"
Wow, was going to try this out after trudging over and over through the original, but this might settle it. I'll wait until I can rent it later on at Gamefly or something.

Don't do the bad things!

If you both read the thread then it was SE who made the changes...
I was under the assumption that they acted in accordance with Nintendo's guidelines with a localization company?

That or I misread a news article.

Tohsaka

Missing the point.

These changes are for the sake of increasing the game's appeal, presumably to prospective female players who could find that kind of costume design to be off-putting. (I, for one, definitely find the excessive skin exposure to be very strange and unnecessary.)

This is something a lot of folks decrying changes like these as "censorship" tend to miss. It's not because of some great governmental entity or for ratings or what-have-you - it's simply for the sake of trying to widen the game's appeal outside of the usual het-cis-male archetype.

The irony here is that this doesn't stop the game's writing from being completely unpalatable to feminist players, and is along the same lines as changing the camera angles in Street Fighter V but not touching the costume designs at all - i.e. kind of missing the point. Oh, well - one thing at a time, eh?
You should read the whole OP, it's not just costume changes.
Wait, is this true? Would be happy to skip this localization non-sense.

The Japanese version does not have English text, unfortunately.

careksims

I have the CE pre-ordered but now I'm consider just cancelling it. It's just grade-A bullshit. I should just buy the Japanese Art Book. Censoring art? Really? Really?!

rhandino

Banned
Like, I don't understand why some of you are saying that those changes were made by Nintendo when Fire Emblem Fates had this:

oFLcBuN.gif

And they didn't bothered to change the FeMC costume just like they did in Smash (where it was changed because the rating of the game)

Gutting? Jesus that's one hell of an (incorrect) overreaction.

The Nintendo part is specious, but how isn't it gutting at this point? If it were just costume changes, it wouldn't be as bad, but altering sidequests to remove options and consequences - to the point where it's just a matter of choosing class A or class B - is ridiculous.

I've got a friend who said that most of these choices are what give the plot weight and impact, making him choose between morals or gameplay benefit, and it's irritating that it's being taken out for seemingly no reason.

That seems odd. SE doesn't have a recent history of """localization""" like Nintendo does.

I feel like the worst thing about this is I legitimately think these quest ending changes are bad and it really sucks being ideologically close to people who make posts like this.

Sorian

Banned
I'm playing the game right now. It's certainly not what I'd ever call gutted.

Actual endings to quest lines were removed. I'm not sure what you are arguing here. Just because you were not aware that content was removed does not make it ok.

Somnid

The side-quest stuff is really disappointing. The first game had all sorts of dark stuff in it so I'm not sure why they back-pedaled on it. I don't recall it being an issue. The rest I can see on some level.

ZeroX03

Banned
Actual endings to quest lines were removed. I'm not sure what you are arguing here. Just because you were not aware that content was removed does not make it ok.

Gutting implies that the guts of the game are gone. Weak sidequests being weaker is not what I'd ever call the guts of the game.

The Nintendo part is specious, but how isn't it gutting at this point? If it were just costume changes, it wouldn't be as bad, but altering sidequests to remove options and consequences - to the point where it's just a matter of choosing class A or class B - is ridiculous.

I've got a friend who said that most of these choices are what give the plot weight and impact, making him choose between morals or gameplay benefit, and it's irritating that it's being taken out for seemingly no reason.

The class choice is the point of the sidequests either way.

I will say that personally I don't care about "plot choices" in games and find them largely pointless and prefer games to commit to a direction so if you're very fond of them my opinion probably won't jive with yours.

LiK

endings?! this sounds like Yakuza 3 being gutted BS all over again

Quicknock

Banned
You know, at times like this, I can't help but feel like it's one of the cases where slippery slope actually applied. First game people defended censorship, so they pushed it harder in the next one... Like I am 90% sure I am wrong, but I have this uneasy feeling. This why I tend to be against any censorship, even if it's something I don't actually care about, like boobs of a chibi-toy looking characters.
Against, this is not censorship. They changed these things of their own volition.

That being said, what's important is not that, but whether or not the changes themselves are actually positive or improve the game's appeal in any way. And in that regard, I'd say they failed. Especially in regards to the quest outcome changes, which seem purely unnecessary from my perspective.

Blues1990

I'll seriously reconsider if I even want this game now, with or without the art book. I have heard nothing but mixed opinions and impressions from the original release, but I was hoping the included art book will be identical to the one released in Japan. Something of which is something I'm always cautious of, both with UDON & Dark Horse specifically, as I might as well import if unnecessary changes will be put in place.

Also, if the outcome of the sidequests end with a positive response, then what's the point of choosing an option if there are no repercussions of your actions?

Like, I don't understand why some of you are saying that those changes were made by Nintendo when Fire Emblem Fates had this:

And they didn't bothered to change the FeMC costume just like they did in Smash (where it was changed because the rating of the game)

cause nintendo is highly inconsistent with what stays and what goes

cg boobs, a-ok

but swimsuits for guys and girls, nope, that's too risque

Sorian

Banned
Gutting implies that the guts of the game are gone. Weak sidequests being weaker is not what I'd ever call the guts of the game.

The class choice is the point of the sidequests either way.

I will say that personally I don't care about "plot choices" in games and find them largely pointless and prefer games to commit to a direction so if you're very fond of them my opinion probably won't jive with yours.

Ah I see, it's not considered gutting because you, personally, don't care about the content. I get it ;)

diaspora

Against, this is not censorship. They changed these things of their own volition.

That being said, what's important is not that, but whether or not the changes themselves are actually positive or improve the game's appeal in any way. And in that regard, I'd say they failed. Especially in regards to the quest outcome changes, which seem purely unnecessary from my perspective.

I don't think people actually know what censorship is.

Nairume

Banned
Depending on what you are defining as recent, there is recent precident for SE's own localizations having larger scale content like that (re: party chat in DQ4 ds) removed.

nukedeggs

Wow, literally getting rid of consequences for choices in sidequests? I'm surprised frankly, especially since the importance of player autonomy and choices in games is pretty big in the US.

Bit the bullet for Fire Emblem, but I'm probably going to avoid this one.

Top Bottom