• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Costume changes are basically irrelevant, but cutting the side content is really bad. They could have at least just removed the voice acting if that was the biggest concern.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Depending on what you are defining as recent, there is recent precident for SE's own localizations having larger scale content like that (re: party chat in DQ4 ds) removed.
That was nearly 8 years ago, so not really recent, but it did suck. I'm glad they put it back in the mobile port of DQ4.

I don't think people actually know what censorship is.

Feels that way... just like how people don't know what "meme" means

So how does this definition not apply here?

Self-censorship is the act of censoring or classifying one's own blog, book, film, or other forms of media. This is done out of fear of, or deference to, the sensibilities or preferences (actual or perceived) of others and without overt pressure from any specific party or institution of authority.

They think there is content in the game which people wouldn't like for various reasons (as proven in this very thread), so they change it

-> censorship

I'll seriously reconsider if I even want this game now, with or without the art book. I have heard nothing but mixed opinions and impressions from the original release, but I was hoping the included art book will be identical to the one released in Japan. Something of which is something I'm always cautious of, both with UDON & Dark Horse specifically, as I might as well import if unnecessary changes will be put in place.

Also, if the outcome of the sidequests end with a positive response, then what's the point of choosing an option if there are no repercussions of your actions?

The outcomes aren't like totally made up out of whole cloth or anything
There's a single point where you go back in time (Chapter 5) and change things. The "bad" endings are for the first run through and the "good" endings are for the second go through. They've just altered things to skip to that latter outcome. And there are still consequences it's just that instead of Good/Bad you get Good/Neutral , depending on which side you pick.

Zolo

I feel like the worst thing about this is I legitimately think these quest ending changes are bad and it really sucks being ideologically close to people who make posts like this.

Complaints won't get far if you have to stop complaining because not everyone will share all the same opinions.

The quest cuts and changes are perplexing. Not sure what content they're attempting to avoid by removing the choice.
It doesn't seem like there's anything controversial about some of the bad ends. If I had to take a guess, it's an attempt to keep people playing or buy the next game because they're worried people will quit because they get upset due to making a bad decision.

Ridley327

Depending on what you are defining as recent, there is recent precident for SE's own localizations having larger scale content like that (re: party chat in DQ4 ds) removed.

There's also the first Drakengard title that had a lot of sexual overtones toned down, even though the game was always going to be M-rated. Much longer ago than DQ4, but worth noting.

diaspora

So how does this definition not apply here?

Because
This is done out of fear of, or deference to, the sensibilities or preferences (actual or perceived) of others and without overt pressure from any specific party or institution of authority.
are tales coming from your ass. You have no idea if this is what the writers want or not. Apps that have code re-written or removed are censored? Written papers that have content edited or rewritten are censored? Books that editors have cleaned up to make readable are censored? Of course nobody would call these things censorship. Worst thing we can call this is poor-as-fuck editing on SE's part.

Quicknock

Banned
This is just a semantic argument that happens in every thread. Self-censorship is a thing.

They changed it because they thought other people would not like it if they didn't.
Yes, and it's important we go through this every thread because censorship is an actual, terrible thing that needs to be fought against and trying to demonize self-censorship as some kind of terrible evil (completely disregarding that every single human being who is not a complete sociopath engages in it) is completely counter-productive and only discredits the speech of whoever makes such a specious claim.

I don't think people actually know what censorship is.
Obviously not, with how often it gets trotted out in these kinds of threads.

Jobbs

Banned
"Censorship" sounds so sensational.

Nintendo is tailoring their product to their audience. Pervy shit doesn't necessarily play as well outside Japan. It's business. The government didn't make them do it.

FluxWaveZ

Cock demon made it through in past Persona games, we still got a chance!

Atlus, not Nintendo. Apples and oranges.

Did Persona Q have a cock demon?

Yes, Mara is in Persona Q.
DSC_2631_zps39be1813.jpg
Again, Atlus isn't doing the localization of Genei Ibun Roku #FE, Treehouse is. Both situations can't be compared, just like this Bravely Second one apparently can't be compared to the Treehouse localizations because Square Enix was responsible.

zhixson

Nintendo gutting another game? Surprise surprise.

Can't wait to get 3/4ths of DQ7.

Yeah, that game has gone from instant day zero pre-order any special edition anything to a cautious wait and see while diligently continuing to learn Japanese.

Yes, and it's important we go through this every thread because censorship is an actual, terrible thing that needs to be fought against and trying to demonize self-censorship as some kind of terrible evil (completely disregarding that every single human being who is not a complete sociopath engages in it) is completely counter-productive and only discredits the speech of whoever makes such a specious claim.

So it's only a semantic argument. Got it.

Kusagari

Nintendo is tailoring their product to their audience. Pervy shit doesn't necessarily play as well outside Japan. It's business. The government didn't make them do it.

The success of FE in the west as they ramped it up says otherwise.

Blues1990

The outcomes aren't like totally made up out of whole cloth or anything
There's a single point where you go back in time (Chapter 5) and change things. The "bad" endings are for the first run through and the "good" endings are for the second go through. They've just altered things to skip to that latter outcome. And there are still consequences, it's just that instead of Good/Bad you get Good/Neutral, depending on which side you pick.

That sounds incredibly dumb, in every sense of the word.

Escalario

Banned
Huh, why it doesn't weirds me anymore that the ones making a huge deal out of this are the users with anime avatars...

Oh well, can't have a good Nintendo-exclusive JRPG without some people bitching. I'll be over here enjoying the game :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nah, hardly anyone cares about that game for better or worse.

I care about that game, it looks great.
But it will reach 20 pages thanks to concern trolling and people screaming & cursing out Treehouse.

Huh, why it doesn't weirds me anymore that the ones making a huge deal out of this are the users with anime avatars...

Oh well, can't have a good Nintendo-exclusive JRPG without some people bitching. I'll be over here enjoying the game :D

This has been noticed for a LOOOONG while.

krizzx

I refuse to buy a game that has even a tinge of unnecessary censorship or content stripping. Support it when its done a small scale, and it will only get worse as time progresses.

Because are tales coming from your ass. You have no idea if this is what the writers want or not. Apps that have code re-written or removed are censored? Written papers that have content edited or rewritten are censored? Books that editors have cleaned up to make readable are censored? Of course nobody would call these things censorship. Worst thing we can call this is poor-as-fuck editing on SE's part.

If it's actually what the writers wanted, why was it in the original Japanese version?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the worst thing about this is I legitimately think these quest ending changes are bad and it really sucks being ideologically close to people who make posts like this.
"People who make posts like this" have been warning about publishers taking liberties like these for ages while people like you were applauding them altering products in asinine ways when it fit their opinions and it was still easy to dismiss people because "lol slippery slope." Enjoy your """""localisation."""""

Quicknock

Banned
So it's only a semantic argument. Got it.
It's the most important bloody semantic argument on the Internet right now.

Every single stupid claim of "censorship" only robs the word of more of its power. At this point it's become almost toothless with how often it's been abused to refer to completely innocuous situations of marketing and localization changes. It's a terrible joke every time someone uses it. A great big red flag telling people not to take anything this person says seriously.

bye bye
It's the most important bloody semantic argument on the Internet right now.

Every single stupid claim of "censorship" only robs the word of more of its power. At this point it's become almost toothless with how often it's been abused to refer to completely innocuous situations of marketing and localization changes. It's a terrible joke every time someone uses it. A great big red flag telling people not to take anything this person says seriously.

It really doesn't. A word can have different strengths and meaning based on context. This is a huge overreaction.

Everyone is aware that Nintendo's "censorship" is not the same as China's.

Bitanator

Outfits were bound to happen, but art book? Side quests? Really?

Don't remind me that, I'll probably have to play the PS2 version.

Go ahead and hunt it down, even though it does not exist. There is nothing objectionable in DQVII to get cut, you cannot dress little girls in skimpy outfits in that game.

Zolo

.......Just about all users here are complaining about quest altering for the last couple of pages.

Again, Atlus isn't doing the localization of Genei Ibun Roku #FE, Treehouse is. Both situations can't be compared, just like this Bravely Second one apparently can't be compared to the Treehouse localizations because Square Enix was responsible.

Positive: Europe might get this one timely
Negative: It is Treehouse

diaspora

If it's actually what the writers wanted, why was it in the original Japanese version? Guess the writers don't actually know what they want if you really think they would consistently choose to do something in Japan, yet go back on it for Western releases.

Content creators modify their work on the regular. Are you somehow unaware of this? Photographers that publish a full album through one outlet but publish a modified work through another don't know what they're doing? Asinine...

FluxWaveZ

I cannot believe people are still defending this.

The art book? Removing art from the art book? Really?

And removing content from side quests? I don't get it. At what point will this be something that we should genuinely be unhappy about.

I just needed an excuse to ignore Bravely Second after Bravely Default, so this is perfect.

"People who make posts like this" have been warning about publishers taking liberties like these for ages while people like you were applauding them altering products in asinine ways when it fit their opinions and it was still easy to dismiss people because "lol slippery slope." Enjoy your """""localisation."""""

I can't tell if this is a work or not so I'm going to assume it is.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Go ahead and hunt it down, even though it does not exist. There is nothing objectionable in DQVII to get cut, you cannot dress little girls in skimpy outfits in that game.
Are you reading the OP? This isn't about costumes

Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"
-
I see, I guess busting out passive aggressive personal digs and then scurrying away like a coward when pressed for an explanation are your thing.

LiK

your tag betrays you and avatar shaming is rude.

Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"

WTF

Like WTF

No buy, I can't support a game that dosn't treat like an adult or something, this is not a disney game for christ sake.

Cock demon made it through in past Persona games, we still got a chance!

Those past games weren't published by Nintendo.

Censorship is censorship regardless of Government involvement.

Top Bottom