• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

Ridley327

Go ahead and hunt it down, even though it does not exist. There is nothing objectionable in DQVII to get cut, you cannot dress little girls in skimpy outfits in that game.

I'm honestly waiting for screenshots of the localized version of DQ8 to come out showing the altered costumes for Red and one of Jessica's alt and people bitching about them, even though Squenix already altered those in the Japanese release.

diaspora

Those past games weren't published by Nintendo.

Censorship is censorship regardless of Government involvement.

Nobody's been able to establish that the work is being censored or edited as per the writer's own volition in the first place. It's equally as likely that the content producers are taking feedback into consideration and are making changes accordingly.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hey how about instead of crying and screaming and trying to argue about words, why don't we fucking ask Square-Enix outright? Contact them on Twitter or Facebook or any other social media platform.

Huh, why it doesn't weirds me anymore that the ones making a huge deal out of this are the users with anime avatars...

Oh well, can't have a good Nintendo-exclusive JRPG without some people bitching. I'll be over here enjoying the game :D
Escalario
Nintendo needs to stop localizing games to America so I can see mostly naked young girls again
(Today, 03:17 PM)

Hmm...

Bitanator

Are you reading the OP? This isn't about costumes

-

I see, I guess busting out passive aggressive personal digs and then scurrying away like a coward when pressed for an explanation are your thing.

The OP has this "This has details more costumes changes. Mainly, five instances of tummy or some breast skin being shown was covered up.

Also, this video details that the Art Book in the west has been changed as well."

So yeah the OP is kind of about costumes as well

PaulBizkit

Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"

Why would they do that?? I dont mind visual modifications but THIS is starting to make me doubt wether i should buy the game or not..

Warxard

Banned
That seems odd. SE doesn't have a recent history of """localization""" like Nintendo does.

One: You're obviously not showing some sort of bias when you have some passive aggressive shit like highlighting '"localization".

Two: Bravely Second was slammed critically in Japan apparently and Square doesn't exactly have confidence in the IP like Nintendo does (with good reason, the game is cheeks). Square censoring up as much as they can to get younger audiences -- the bread and butter 3DS owners -- to scoop it up seems like a Bette R chance of success than just shipping over a shitty ass RPG.

Let me bold this: I'm not saying the 'censorship' and axing content is a good thing. In fact is a fucking awful thing to axe content like actual missions. Cosmetic shit? lol who cares.
We'll see when the game launches. I mean I probably won't care how well it does because Bravely Second is probably the gaming equivalent of drinking lukewarm Powerade at a food festival

So many people get stuck on semantics of the word "censorship" they use it as an excuse to ignore the point. When people talk about Censorship these days, they mean "altering a product to decrease the provocativeness of said product to make it less controversial or potentially offensive".
Come up with a good, immediately understandable word for that and we will switch to it.

I personally don't care about chibi boobies, despite my nickname. I'm into some kinky shit, but Bravely default models are not a part of it. But I don't like the idea of changing it because somebody somewhere may find it offensive or unacceptable. And now we've gotten to the point that 4kids level of editing is applied. What next, everybody in final fantasy 15 will be sent to the shadow realm? All onigiri will be changed to jelly donuts?

Good. There are a lot of western players that are emotionally delicate so it only makes sense for Nintendo/SE to remove content that might not fit to their tastes such as the more interesting endings for quests.

Crocodile

I have no idea why threads like these waste so much time arguing what is and isn't "censorship". The only real argument is if someone agrees with whatever changes are made, if they felt they were necessary, if they accomplish their goal (if said goal can be discerned) and if that goal was worth accomplishing. That will obviously vary from person to person.

As for this specific example here, I can't imagine most people would get in a tizzy about costume changes though I'm getting a bit tired of the "cleavage is SIN!" or similar mentality that one has to use to feel such edits are needed. Still, its not that big a deal.

The changes to the artbook and sidequests though I find way more objectionable. The former seems disrespectful (is that the right word?) and the later just seems nonsensical.

Nobody's been able to establish that the work is being censored or edited as per the writer's own volition in the first place. It's equally as likely that the content producers are taking feedback into consideration and are making changes accordingly.

That's similarly fucking dumb even if it isn't by a strict definition self-censorship. It's telling their audience they can only handle happy endings.

The OP has this "This has details more costumes changes. Mainly, five instances of tummy or some breast skin being shown was covered up.

Also, this video details that the Art Book in the west has been changed as well."

If you even read my post that you quoted you would have noticed that there are other things being discussed.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
have u ever noticed that people with anime avatars like anime games

Kudo

Bravely Censored, well played Nintendo/SE/whoever is responsible for this kind of censorship.
Really don't see the point, and they even touched the art book, nothing is sacred to these guys.
I wish they'd stop.

fernoca

One: You're obviously not showing some sort of bias when you have some passive aggressive shit like highlighting '"localization".

Two: Bravely Second was slammed critically in Japan apparently and Square doesn't exactly have confidence in the IP like Nintendo does (with good reason, the game is cheeks). Square censoring up as much as they can to get younger audiences -- the bread and butter 3DS owners -- to scoop it up seems like a Bette R chance of success than just shipping over a shitty ass RPG.

We'll see when the game launches. I mean I probably won't care how well it does because Bravely Second is probably the gaming equivalent of drinking lukewarm Powerade at a food festival
There's that too.

I remember there was backlash at the quality of the game and even threads in here pointing that out and the bad reviews at Amazon Japan.

So I do wonder if the cut content was based on feedback over the negative reviews rather than dumbing things down.

diaspora

That's similarly fucking dumb even if it isn't by a strict definition self-censorship. It's telling their audience they can only handle happy endings.

It isn't any definition of any kind of censorship, and content creator would know this. Receiving feedback and taking it into consideration is an integral part of any creative work. A creative work being blasted for being too long or overwrought isn't going to have the artist get slammed for taking feedback to heart and trying to better connect to their audience.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's that too.

I remember there was backlash at the quality of the game and even threads in here pointing that out and the bad reviews at Amazon Japan.

So I do womder if the cut content was based on feedback over the negative reviews rather than dumbing things down.

That's a good point. Hmmm

Huh, why it doesn't weirds me anymore that the ones making a huge deal out of this are the users with anime avatars...

Oh well, can't have a good Nintendo-exclusive JRPG without some people bitching. I'll be over here enjoying the game :D

Avatar shaming is bannable. The last censorship thread was a graveyard because of it.

Bitanator

Now I can see DQVIII getting some costume changes, like Jessica is a Dangerous Bustier, but I don't see how anything that changes the game in any meaningful way will happen. You should expect some different dialogue in VII since it is not using the PS1 version, if anything they could make it less doomy in places
The Priest being beaten to a pulp while he was trapped in a monsters body

If you even read my post that you quoted you would have noticed that there are other things being discussed.

I realize that, I was assuring you that changes to DQVII should not be about cut content game wise

Sure it is, but the last few pages and the primary focus of discussion in the thread has primarily been about the side quest changes which I haven't seen any good argument on why they were made and is primarily what people who are getting upset about at those saying they have no problem with the changes made.

LiK

There's that too.

So I do wonder if the cut content was based on feedback over the negative reviews rather than dumbing things down.

we need someone do side-by-side comparisons to know if this is true. I do remember that Japanese players hated this game with a passion.

Aren't changes to games (adding/removing/modifying modes and characters for example) done by the original team in the first place? Don't localizers only take care of translating and communicating with the original developers if any changes should be made?

Edit: By that, I mean that the major changes found in this game and the new FE would be the choice of the developers in the first place, not something to blame on localization.

Good. There are a lot of western players that are emotionally delicate so it only makes sense for Nintendo/SE to remove content that might not fit to their tastes such as more interesting endings.

Is really sad that people are using this chance of a company "actually" cutting content of a game, with really natural themes like death that are completely inside the reach of the game age restriction, to pursue their agenda of changes to accomodate minority sensibilities or being more inclusive on it's depection of sexuality.

Like really sad.

Escalario

Banned
Now I can see DQVIII getting some costume changes, like Jessica is a Dangerous Bustier, but I don't see how anything that changes the game in any meaningful way will happen. You should expect some different dialogue in VII since it is not using the PS1 version, if anything they could make it less doomy in places
The Priest being beaten to a pulp while he was trapped in a monsters body

I realize that, I was assuring you that changes to DQVII should not be about cut content game wise

DQ8 costumes already got changed in the japanese 3DS version, so yeah, you're gonna see that too :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"
We really are back in the 90s. Fuck.

diaspora

Aren't changes to games (adding/removing/modifying modes and characters for example) done by the original team in the first place? Don't localizers only take care of translating and communicating with the original developers if any changes should be made?

Changes, afaik, are done by both. But there's almost always communication between both teams.

Quicknock

Banned
Hey how about instead of crying and screaming and trying to argue about words, why don't we fucking ask Square-Enix outright? Contact them on Twitter or Facebook or any other social media platform.
Indeed. There's lots of speculation in this thread based only on what's presented in front of us. Kind of need more information to understand the reasoning behind these changes.

I have no idea why threads like these waste so much time arguing what is and isn't "censorship". The only real argument is if someone agrees with whatever changes are made, if they felt they were necessary, if they accomplish their goal (if said goal can be discerned) and if that goal was worth accomplishing. That will obviously vary from person to person.
So many people get stuck on semantics of the word "censorship" they use it as an excuse to ignore the point. When people talk about Censorship these days, they mean "altering a product to decrease the provocativeness of said product to make it less controversial or potentially offensive".
Come up with a good, immediately understandable word for that and we will switch to it.
At the very least, being specific about it being "self-censorship" or "marketing changes" or "localization" or whatever is much, much better than just throwing around "censorship" blindly.

Again, using the word recklessly only puts you under more scrutiny. These kinds of tangents can easily be avoided simply by using more precise language. Don't like people going on semantic tangents? You have the power to avoid just that fate.

Also this:
It isn't any definition of any kind of censorship, and content creator would know this. Receiving feedback and taking it into consideration is an integral part of any creative work. A creative work being blasted for being too long or overwrought isn't going to have the artist get slammed for taking feedback to heart and trying to better connect to their audience.
---
I personally don't care about chibi boobies, despite my nickname. I'm into some kinky shit, but Bravely default models are not a part of it. But I don't like the idea of changing it because somebody somewhere may find it offensive or unacceptable. And now we've gotten to the point that 4kids level of editing is applied. What next, everybody in final fantasy 15 will be sent to the shadow realm? All onigiri will be changed to jelly donuts?
We know nothing about the mindset that lead to those changes. Trying to equate these to "4kids" level changes is also quite laughable, considering how much that company butchered the works it had access to.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Stop having confirmation bias. What you're doing is both a bannable offence and you'll see me make me make a big deal about shitty censorship like this even though I've never had an anime avatar.

krizzx

"People who make posts like this" have been warning about publishers taking liberties like these for ages while people like you were applauding them altering products in asinine ways when it fit their opinions and it was still easy to dismiss people because "lol slippery slope." Enjoy your """""localisation."""""

Those past games weren't published by Nintendo.

Censorship is censorship regardless of Government involvement.

I applaud these statement.

That is generally how it goes, just like when people give up rights in the way of a tragedy. Most people will applaud and defend it so long as it suits them. Then when its severity increases, the same people start to complain, but its often to late to change it at that point.

The Western praise and support of gore and suffering and disdain for all thing sexual that aren't negative portrayed in a negative light, vs the Japanese general disinterest in gratuitous violence and acceptance of more romantic and sexual content is the main reason I predominantly bought Japanese games.

Warping the Japanese content into stuff that suits mainstream American ideals destroys any reason to get the game for me personally.

If a game has something extra in it that I don't like, I just don't use it.

NotLiquid

Considering how expensive the CE was and how much I love art books I'm rather upset that stuff was removed from it.

The quest stuff is just completely incomprehensible though.

Tohsaka

Edit: By that, I mean that the major changes found in this game and the new FE would be the choice of the developers in the first place, not something to blame on localization.

They are done at the request of the western publisher. For example, when Atlus localized Dungeon Travelers 2, they asked the developed to alter a few of the CGs to avoid a possible AO rating in the west because they were too sexually suggestive. The developer didn't just do this of their own volition ahead of time.

Warxard

Banned
no bad endings...they cant be serious

Only bad ending here is you realizing you bought, played and finished a bad game
IMG_6863.png

---

We know nothing about the mindset that lead to those changes. Trying to equate these to "4kids" level changes is also quite laughable, considering how much that company butchered the works it had access to.

To me, gutting major side content is butchering almost on the level of 4kids.

EDIT: Also, can we please do something about people trying to derail topic by making jokes about series being bad. It's completely irrelvant, as the question of the matter has nothing to do with the quality of the games.

Top Bottom