• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Cornbread78

LOL

We finally got what we wanted.......7 years ago

Remember what was supposed to be

WadeLebronRoseBULLS.jpg

Somebody put some Cavs jerseys on these fools for me, lol.

LionPride

Banned
I love how the other commissioners around the country are so inept that Adam Silver looks like a god by comparison.

Domestic Violence Suspended this amount of games

Substance abuse? That amount of games

Oh we should listen to our players and their concerns? okay

Weed use in the league? Probably in the next couple years

Gambling? Same thing

It's amazing

This is completely inexcusable and unforgivable.

Congrats, Knicks for giving the Warriors their back-to-back titles for holding back your end of the deal until it died.

Supposedly a draft night deal(s) had both PG and Melo going to Cleveland was agreed to -- then fell through.

No idea how that would of effected the Kyrie/IT deal or other offseason signings - but imagine Kyrie, PG, Bron, Love.

Or even DRose, IT, DWade, PG, Melo, LeBron, Love. On one team?

Supposedly a draft night deal(s) had both PG and Melo going to Cleveland was agreed to -- then fell through.

No idea how that would of effected the Kyrie/IT deal or other offseason signings - but imagine Kyrie, PG, Bron, Love.

Or even DRose, IT, DWade, PG, Melo, LeBron, Love. On one team?

I'm fairly sure Kyrie would have been included in that draft night deal. He was already rumored (or outright confirmed?) to have been in the package just for Paul George.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/esp...coach-250-college-basketball-scandal-fbi-ncaa

After his near-deadly motorcycle accident, current ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Williams worked as a recruiter for Ceruzzi Sports and Entertainment from 2007 to 2009. He's seen the corrupt culture of college basketball firsthand, and has admittedly taken part in it.

After the FBI's bombshell announcement and indictments of four assistant basketball coaches, Williams predicted a grim future for college basketball. He said he knew from experience. Williams dropped on live TV that he funneled $250,000 to Kevin Love's AAU coach, Pat Barrett, while serving as a representative for the sports agency.

Gigglepoo

I feel like college basketball died when the best players decided to stay in school only one year. It's become the ultimate end of "rooting for the uniforms" which is not at all how I consume sports.

In the new resting legislation, Silver will have the discretionary ability to fine teams for resting players in several instances, including sitting multiple players outside of unusual circumstances in a single game, and healthy players in nationally televised ESPN, ABC and TNT games.

When teams decide to rest players in games, they'll be encouraged to do so for home instead of away games. Star players sitting out are expected to be on the bench during games and encouraged to be accessible to fans for interaction before the game.

The NBA rid the 2017-18 season schedule of back-to-back games around nationally televised appearances, giving teams presumably less to sit out players for high-profile games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ery-reform-guidelines-resting-healthy-players

Screw that. NBA shouldn't be able to tell teams how they deal with their players' minutes, or where those players would be allowed to rest.

Teams are trying to win championships, and rested players are better players. Screw the fans in Memphis, they can catch LeBron or KD on television.

Gigglepoo

Screw that. NBA shouldn't be able to tell teams how they deal with their players' minutes, or where those players would be allowed to rest.

Teams are trying to win championships, and rested players are better players. Screw the fans in Memphis, they can catch LeBron or KD on television.

So rest them during a game that's not nationally televised. Doesn't seem like that tough of a compromise. If the NBA was forcing players to appear in 82 games, that would be unacceptable, but this is a fair solution so fans stay engaged and teams are still allowed to rest guys on less-important nights.

Fining teams for resting players over a bloated amount of games. You tell EU teams in footy to do this, and they all tell you to get bent. There's going to be a lot "injured" players next season.

jdstorm

Banned
Will be interesting to see which teams actually get fined...

Remeber when the NBA instituted its Anti Flopping policy. Wasn't really enforced much

FinKL

I love how the other commissioners around the country are so inept that Adam Silver looks like a god by comparison.

Domestic Violence Suspended this amount of games

Substance abuse? That amount of games

Oh we should listen to our players and their concerns? okay

Weed use in the league? Probably in the next couple years

Gambling? Same thing

It's amazing

I just recently got back into the NBA last season and I agree he's doing A LOT.
We got new tanking rules, and shorter half-times!

So rest them during a game that's not nationally televised. Doesn't seem like that tough of a compromise. If the NBA was forcing players to appear in 82 games, that would be unacceptable, but this is a fair solution so fans stay engaged and teams are still allowed to rest guys on less-important nights.

They also say rest players at home and not on the road. No way. Home fans are buying the tickets that pay the salaries. If I'm the owner, they're resting in someone else's building, not mine.

jdstorm

Banned

Its not really fair because it allows the NBA to rig the schedule and then punish teams who are disadvantaged by it. Adam Silver's HHH ing of the NBA makes me miss David "Vince McMahon" Stern. At least Stern was a fun villan. Silver is just a coperate kiss ass

mjp2417

Banned
I'm fairly sure Kyrie would have been included in that draft night deal. He was already rumored (or outright confirmed?) to have been in the package just for Paul George.

There were apparently two deals in the works around that time. One would have sent Love to Denver, Gary Harris and the 13th pick to Indy, and PG to Cleveland. Pritchard backed out at the last minute. The other one had Kyrie going to Phoenix, Bledsoe and PG going to Cleveland, and the 4th pick going to Indy, but apparently that was contingent on LeBron committing to re-sign and when that didn't happen Gilbert nixed the deal. It's a little murky how much the Cavs knew about Kyrie's intentions at that point. It's also a little unclear what the Melo deal was at that time, but it presumably involved Thompson (at least that's what the Knicks were looking for as of a week ago) unless there was another team involved.

jdstorm

Banned
Yep that part in particular is upsetting. Rest them on the road.

The arguement is Cavs fans see Lebron (insert the star of your favourite team) play 41 times a year in Cleveland. They wont miss it much if he sits out 1 guarenteed win vs Chicago or Orlando ect. A fan of a Western Conference team may only have 1 chance at seeing Lebron play live per season. Its pretty crap for say Kings or Suns fans if your team plays 1 home game vs Lebron every year and he doesn't even show up.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So you can rest your players if the game isn't on TNT/ABC/ESPN but you can if its on NBATV

Good thing the Spurs aren't popular anymore

The arguement is Cavs fans see Lebron (insert the star of your favourite team) play 41 times a year in Cleveland. They wont miss it much if he sits out 1 guarenteed win vs Chicago or Orlando ect. A fan of a Western Conference team may only have 1 chance at seeing Lebron play live per season. Its pretty crap for say Kings or Suns fans if your team plays 1 home game vs Lebron every year and he doesn't even show up.

Home fans can have a limited entertainment budget, as well, and ticket availability can also be limited, so 1 game might be all that's in the mix. As an owner, I want to satisfy my fans. Memphis can worry about making their team something worth paying to see regardless of who the opponent is.

Yes, I realize fans in other cities want to see the big stars, but that's not my problem. They're not paying my star player's salary.

Fjordson

Yeah, legislating rest seems like an unrealistic nightmare.

I haven't read everything on it so maybe they have something to prevent this somehow, but what's stopping a coach from saying a guy just has a sore wrist and therefore can't play? Or he twisted his ankle in practice? Not sure how you can truly police this.

I haven't read everything on it so maybe they have something to prevent this somehow, but what's stopping a coach from saying a guy just has a sore wrist and therefore can't play? Or he twisted his ankle in practice? Not sure how you can truly police this.

A doctors note.

But seriously, this was always going to be the consequence of players getting larger contracts thanks to the new broadcasting deals. This is likely only ever going to be enforced for televised games. Television networks want the big players to play for the sake of ratings so it was only inevitable that the League was going to eventually get strict in this regard.

Ronin Ray

Agree 100% . I hope pop still does it and just makes up injuries

Top Bottom