• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Ronin Ray

Nike...

This is how you properly make the backs of your uniforms.

41NlagWt5OL._SX355_.jpg

XDUcZAe.png

What am I looking at here ?

FZZ

Banned
I am getting the strongest feeling Ingram isn't going to mesh well with Lonzo in the beginning

Hopefully we stick it out, but Ingram is so much more of an ISO player and scorer.

Most hardcore Lakers fans seem higher on Ingram as well, which is wild to me since Lonzo has shown better results in the small ass sample size with the team than BI ever did

I am getting the strongest feeling Ingram isn't going to mesh well with Lonzo in the beginning

Hopefully we stick it out, but Ingram is so much more of an ISO player and scorer.

Most hardcore Lakers fans seem higher on Ingram as well, which is wild to me since Lonzo has shown better results in the small ass sample size with the team than BI ever did

Small sample size is a weird way of saying the kid hasn't played even 1 minute in the league, LaVar.

Jarate

Banned
Summer League means nothing

Lonzo is a better prospect then Ingram. Ingram can become better if he develops muscle/ gets a better shot.

FZZ

Banned
I just don't see how Ingram fits in the system we are going for, unless he just becomes our delegated weapon when we need a shot knocked down plus a net positive on the defensive end

but even then that's only situational, obviously best case scenario situational would be something like a kyrie game 7 of the finals but what are the chances of that happening when we are going to go 16-0 in the post season

Jarate

Banned
If Ingram bulks up a bit, and gets a shot, there's no reason why he can't play defense and be an elite 3&D guy. Good passers are always good to have on the court

I just don't see how Ingram fits in the system we are going for, unless he just becomes our delegated weapon when we need a shot knocked down plus a net positive on the defensive end

but even then that's only situational, obviously best case scenario situational would be something like a kyrie game 7 of the finals but what are the chances of that happening when we are going to go 16-0 in the post season

Assuming he continues to improve I don't see how he wouldn't fit a Golden State like system.

FZZ

Banned
imma listen to y'all I think I'm just over analyzing the first game of summer league and how those two played together. He just chose to ISO so much

Hope he develops into an elite scorer like the flashes he showed at Duke

Jarate

Banned
imma listen to y'all I think I'm just over analyzing the first game of summer league and how those two played together. He just chose to ISO so much

It's Summer League, D'Angelo looked like a big baller in summer league

I imagine that was a coaching decision.

jdstorm

Banned
Home fans can have a limited entertainment budget, as well, and ticket availability can also be limited, so 1 game might be all that's in the mix. As an owner, I want to satisfy my fans. Memphis can worry about making their team something worth paying to see regardless of who the opponent is.

Yes, I realize fans in other cities want to see the big stars, but that's not my problem. They're not paying my star player's salary.

This is the classic FY i got mine attitude that is currently making America great again.

Its also untrue. For 2 main reasons.

1. Fans of other teams contribute to paying the sallary of your teams best players by watching TV advertisements in the millions which leads to increased revenue via TV deals which are distributed to all NBA teams.

2. Not all fans of specific basketball teams live in the same city that their team plays in. If you are say a Boston fan transplanted to Pheonix due to employment then thats also an equally bad situation. You likely buy Jerseys and other merchandise in similar amounts to Boston fans who live in Boston.

Honestly if teams announce likely "rest games" in advance and they are at home then it isn't really a big deal. Die hards who don't care will show up and people who may be disapointed wont.

There's arguments to be made in regards that it would produce a much more valuable product, and you'd probably get more viewers per game.

It will never happen

Possible, but even with the additional viewership, that's not going to account for 20-25% fewer event dates. That's a huge reduction in ticket sales, televised events and subsequent sponsor/commercial deals, etc.

They'd have to make it up at the ticket booth, and I don't think anyone would be down for 20% higher tickets. But...who knows. Works well enough for football. But it's a risk, and as you said probably not one that would be taken.

Honestly if teams announce likely "rest games" in advance and they are at home then it isn't really a big deal. Die hards who don't care will show up and people who may be disapointed wont.

That disappointed fan may have bought that ticket for a game in February way back in September when tickets first went on sale. The disappointed fan in Memphis may have done the same thing. Only one of those fans bought the ticket for my arena, which is directly compensating me, my player, and my entire organization, from the front office on down to the concession worker. I know which fan I want to serve if I have to make the choice.

And I'm not opposed to a player playing the full 82. But if the data and schedule say that the player needs to rest a game, then he's going to rest, and it's going to be in someone else's building. Adam Silver for dang sure isn't going to tell me to short change the fan that's directly putting money into my pocket.

TTG

There's arguments to be made in regards that it would produce a much more valuable product, and you'd probably get more viewers per game.

It will never happen

I'd like to see 3 games in 4 days eliminated entirely like 4 in 5 was for this year. Back to back average is going to be at 14.4 per team, which is probably still too many, I'd like to see that come down. I'm sure there's efficiency to be gained in road trips and home games in terms of distance traveled as well. As long as these considerations are sufficiently addressed, bring on as many games as possible.

I like coming home after a long day to find an interesting game on almost any day of the week. Who is to say cutting back the number of games would be better for the league? Are we out to emulate the NFL, because that's never a good idea.

Jarate

Banned
I'd like to see 3 games in 4 days eliminated entirely like 4 in 5 was for this year. Back to back average is going to be at 14.4 per team, which is probably still too many, I'd like to see that come down. I'm sure there's efficiency to be gained in road trips and home games in terms of distance traveled as well. As long as these considerations are sufficiently addressed, bring on as many games as possible.

I like coming home after a long day to find an interesting game on almost any day of the week. Who is to say cutting back the number of games would be better for the league? Are we out to emulate the NFL, because that's never a good idea.

If you worry about players sitting out, your season shouldnt be so long is all im saying

also, everybody here remembers how much funner and more intense the strike shortened season was.

jdstorm

Banned
If you worry about players sitting out, your season shouldnt be so long is all im saying

also, everybody here remembers how much funner and more intense the strike shortened season was.

Lol.

You do realise that the strike shortned season was fun because the schedule was condensed and your favourite team was playing more frequently then they do in the average regular season.

What made the strike year fun is literally the exact opposite of what the planned schedule changes seek to adress.

Fjordson

A doctors note.

But seriously, this was always going to be the consequence of players getting larger contracts thanks to the new broadcasting deals. This is likely only ever going to be enforced for televised games. Television networks want the big players to play for the sake of ratings so it was only inevitable that the League was going to eventually get strict in this regard.
But even for those games I don't know how you truly stop it. If a guy says something hurts or doesn't feel right and sits I'm not sure how the league can penalize that.

jmizzal

Its pretty simple on the break Ingram runs the court and Lonzo gets him the ball, in the half court Lonzo can get him the ball and he can do his iso thing, dont see how they dont fit.

Sometimes you need a good iso player for when things break down

Heysoos

Anyone know when the new Nike jerseys are dropping? I had been wanting to buy one for my birthday but I figure I'd wait for the new ones. They sure are taking a while though.

edit: Oh they just dropped. Kawhi jersey get :D

otapnam

The season is not too long. The problem is schedule and parity/competition.

If we went 1-16 playoffs on schedule you could see teams caring alot more. And in terms of the number of games, if people need to rest, then rest - but if you want to win you're going to have to sacrifice and tough it out. I thought this was PROFESSIONAL SPORTS.

Nafai1123

Banned
Season hasn't even started and ya'll already talking about shortening it so you can discuss your bum-ass irrelevant teams for longer in the offseason.

LionPride

Banned
I love people who have nothing to do with playing a pro sport or even being over those who do, telling adults what to do with their bodies. It's great

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So what do you guys think the Cavs do with the Brooklyn pick? Has anything changed now that old man Wade is here?

gonna laugh when Brooklyn somehow wins the eastern conference this year making that draft pick irrelevant.

Top Bottom