• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore or Frank Miller: Who you with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

So two questions. First, which creator do you think had more of a impact on comics and who do you think is the most creative.

Second, you have a chance to have one of those three men write a comic based on your idea, which man do you pick?

I pick the warlock, Alan Moore.

I'm sorry, Sandman is amazing, as is Lucifer, but Watchmen is just special, even today after its been copied to hell.

Some of there works:

Neil Gaiman:- Sandman, Books of Magic, Coraline, American Gods (corrected for better accuracy)

Alan Moore- From Hell, Watchmen, Swamp thing (thanks for correction Coriolanus), V for Vendetta

Frank Miller- Batman the Dark Knight returns, Sin City, 300, His Daredevil run

Gaiman at least isn't batshit crazy and has continued to deliver solid work after leaving comics.

Having said that, I think Moore had a bigger impact on the industry as a whole.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gaiman. Although for impact within the realm of comics it's probably Moore. I know Gaiman for his novels moreso than for Sandman, and he was something of a tastemaker for me, as well as many of my generation.

Slayven

Frank Miller did irreparable damage to comics

Alan Moore is great when he isn't hating comics

So Gaiman is my man

Finaj

Gaiman. He's still making great stuff after all these years. Plus, he's been able to create stories that have appealed to adults and children.

Some of there works:
Neil Gaiman:- Sandman, Lucifer, Books of Magic, Coraline,
Alan Moore- From Hell, Watchmen, Hellblazer (John constantine), V for Vendetta
Frank Miller- Batman the Dark Knight returns, Sin City, 300,

While John was created by Moore, he never wrote hellblazer. Swamp Thing is what you want (and miracleman) (and league of extraordinary gentlemen).

Of the three, Moore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
While John was created by Moore, he never wrote hellblazer. Swamp Thing is what you want (and miracleman) (and league of extraordinary gentlemen).

Of the three, Moore.

And Gaiman isn't directly responsible for Lucifer. Although he created the character the spinoff was helmed by some other guy.

Gaiman seems to have expanded the audience of Comics quite a bit, so I am tempted to say him.

Lucifer is not by him btw. That was Mike Carey.

I've been exposed to Gaiman through some of his work on Doctor Who, Sandman, and my current 2nd attempt to read American Gods. I think Gaiman is wonderfully creative, but I think his writing isn't great. He has amazing ideas, but they're not always executed very well. I think I've gotten over the hump of American Gods where I quit last time. The book is in front of me on page 74, and I'm ready to rip through.

kmfdmpig

Moore had the most impact, although all three were hugely important at around the same time (mid-late 80s).

Moore and Miller are both a bit nutty now, so if I wanted someone to write something for me now it'd be Gaiman by default as he's still working at the same level and hasn't changed considerably.

If we agree that those three are the top 3 then I'm curious who most would consider the next step down in the 80s and 90s. I'd say Waid, Busiek, Morrison, and Ennis would all be in consideration for that second level group.

Kimawolf

Moore had the most impact, although all three were hugely important at around the same time (mid-late 80s).

Moore and Miller are both a bit nutty now, so if I wanted someone to write something for me now it'd be Gaiman by default as he's still working at the same level and hasn't changed considerably.

If we agree that those three are the top 3 then I'm curious who most would consider the next step down in the 80s and 90s. I'd say Waid, Busiek, Morrison, and Ennis would all be in consideration for that second level group.

Morrison and Ennis for me.

Warren Ellis. (Though he would be in the top group in my personal groupings).

Platy

Moore had bigger impact, but Gaiman is RIDICULOUSLY more creative.

<3 Gaiman

Also Miller is an idiot

SpaceWolf

Banned

I think Moore's nuttiness has often been over-stated. In recent interviews, I've always felt like he's come across as a very level-headed and thoughtful guy, his continued worship of a puppet snake god aside.

rtcn63

I've been exposed to Gaiman through some of his work on Doctor Who, Sandman, and my current 2nd attempt to read American Gods. I think Gaiman is wonderfully creative, but I think his writing isn't great. He has amazing ideas, but they're not always executed very well. I think I've gotten over the hump of American Gods where I quit last time. The book is in front of me on page 74, and I'm ready to rip through.

His work for me is basically "wait for the movie/TV adaption." I tried to get into his novels too, but his style of prose just doesn't add anything really.

Joyful

alan moore is legend

but id let Gaiman write my stuff, but only if we get sam keith as the artist

Shoeless

I would have to say Moore for having an impact on comics in general, especially if we're talking stuff like Miracle Man, Swamp Thing and of course Watchmen.

But I'd say that Gaiman is more creative and more consistent. When Moore has had an impact, it's been huge, but over the years, I think I've liked more of Gaiman's stuff. Watchmen blew me away with what it did, but I like Sandman and Gaiman's stuff more, if that makes any sense. Kind of like the difference between an intimidating, but great man, and a nice guy you actually want to spend time with.

Also, Gaiman's work is just generally more compassionate. He seems to love people and believes to some extent in the inherent goodness of humanity when push comes to shove. God knows we could use a little of that kind of thinking right now, rather than just more confirmation of how awful we can be.

Abelard

Well for most creative I would give it to Gaiman. Sandman alone just blows my mind the more I re-read it.

Most impact however? That would certainly be Moore, he in many ways legitimized comics as an art to the mainstream audience.

Alan Moore dragged us into decades of a specific tone in DC and Marvel Comics.

And if you haven't read his non-DC stuff, you could be forgiven for thinking someone else is more creative. Even is DC stuff is weird.

X2sSWI0.jpg

4817375-img_0073.png

Supreme-49-1997-Page-16.jpg
Dude is batshit.

LayLa

Moore by miles, but then I've just finished reading Jerusalem and think it's a masterpiece.
Also his Top Ten series is criminally underrated.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Who else but Alan Moore could have the audacity to write a story involving Harry Potter committing a high school massacre at Hogwarts?

IMG_00461.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Moore for me though I love Gaiman as well. Also to those saying he isn't still putting out good work you need to read his Lovecraft inspired series Providence. Its on going though almost finished.

Providence01-Pantheon-600x927.jpg

Platy

He pretty much pushed the darkening of comics, with everyone trying to copy Dark KNight returns.

And turned into a caricature of himself and praticaly created Snyder's Batman with

9zPVSlw.jpg

(which is an HILARIOUS batman comic, for all the wrong reasons)

Alan Moore dragged us into decades of a specific tone in DC and Marvel Comics.

And if you haven't read his non-DC stuff, you could be forgiven for thinking someone else is more creative. Even is DC stuff is weird.

Dude is batshit.

Batshit =/= Creative.
Moore stuff is almost too random. Too mushrooms.

Gaiman creates rules, working worlds with beginning, ends and everything perfectly fitting together.

Moore is either weird or perfectly round... which is where his best stuff stands like Watchmen.

Impact: Moore, Miller,,,,,Gaiman
Prefer: Gaiman=More, Miller.

Moore has the best selection of transcendent works with The Killing Joke, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc. However, Sandman is just such a masterpiece and Gaiman has some really underrated stuff like his Batman story What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader and 1602. Miller has some awesome stuff, but overall I prefer the literary nature of Moore and especially Gaiman.

Only one of the three is capable of still writing compelling content now though.

Jigorath

Banned
I love Miller's daredevil run, but he's been behind a lot of garbage. The man went off the deep end a while ago.

So yeah, it's Alan Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom