• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore or Frank Miller: Who you with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

First, which creator do you think had more of a impact on comics and who do you think is the most creative.

Miller and Moore are about equal. Miller's influence is still felt in Batman today. Whether it's year 1 or the films of Zac Snyder. Plus 300
Similar can be said about Moore except less of his work influences film. Hell Mark Millar might be more influential than Moore. Hell probably more influential than Miller.

Second, you have a chance to have one of those three men write a comic based on your idea, which man do you pick?
Gaiman might be more realistic but the crazy shit a 300 style version of my life would be kind of awesome.

CloudWolf

Who else but Alan Moore could have the audacity to write a story involving Harry Potter committing a high school massacre at Hogwarts?

IMG_00461.jpg

I just looked that up... is that even legal to use Harry Potter like that? Isn't that name copyrighted to hell and back? I can't imagine J.K. Rowling signing off on this.

Rorschach

The only reason this is even a discussion is because people can't separate the creator from the personality. Alan Moore is the answer to all those questions. Gaiman is amazing, but Moore changed the landscape more than Neil.

I'd rather have a beer with Neil, though.

caliph95

The only reason this is even a discussion is because people can't separate the creator from the personality. Alan Moore is the answer to all those questions. Gaiman is amazing, but Moore changed the landscape more than Neil.

I don't drink but if i ever i would avoid drinking with Moore. He probabl will try casting spells and drink virgin blood.
Another reason to avoid.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I'd rather have a smoke with Moore.

For funsies:

Hell Mark Millar might be more influential than Moore.

Yeah, I'm going to need to see any evidence of Millar's "influence" on cinema. Most of his 2000AD stories were ripped wholesale from films he liked.

Side note: Miller's influence on Batman is massive, granted, but Moore's influence on the comics medium as a whole is pretty ubiquitous.

LaNaranja

In comics Alan Moore has probably had the most influence followed by Miller then Gaiman.

That said I enjoy Gaiman's work a hell of a lot more than I do Miller and Moore.

Alx

In comics Alan Moore has probably had the most influence followed by Miller then Gaiman.

That said I enjoy Gaiman's work a hell of a lot more than I do Miller and Moore.

I was just about to post that. :)
I love Gaiman's work, but Moore and Miller have been more influential in general.

Gaiman did *not* write Lucifer, that was Mike Carey. Though he did create the basis for the charachter in Sandman, and a very good basis it was.

That said I believe Gaiman is the best of them as Sandman is incredible, perhaps my favourite graphic novel ever. Moore comes close with Swamp Thing, Whatever Happened To Man Of Tomorrow, The Killing Joke and For the Man Who Has Everything. Watchmen was pretty good too.

I think the only thing I liked from Frank Miller was Batman Year One. He's not really one of my favourites.

gerg

Oh yeah, dude. Year One is canon, so it sort of comes with the territory. Even Ed Brubaker's excellent Catwoman series calls back to Selina's past as a hooker, as well as several other Catwoman stories.

Batman's first meeting with Prostitute Selina was actually just explicitly referenced in one of the most recent Batman issues.

1d9bdt.jpg

2dpymu.jpg

Cute moment but damn do I hate the implication of Selina having had to work as a prostitute in her former life. So ill-fitting and unnecessarily demeaning for that character.

That's some pretty awesome art. Is the whole series like that?

I just looked that up... is that even legal to use Harry Potter like that? Isn't that name copyrighted to hell and back? I can't imagine J.K. Rowling signing off on this.

I imagine the referencing is opaque enough to pass by any copyright issues. The name "Harry Potter" is never used, and JK Rowling doesn't own the idea of wizards, wands and moving architecture.

Apt101

Moore had the most impact. I can't decide who is more creative, him or Gaiman, though my opinion is colored by the fact that I love Gaiman novels - which shouldn't count in this regard - but I can't help it.

Gaiman is certainly more learned and intelligent.

NEO0MJ

As much as I like Gaiman, both Miller and Moore had a bigger impact on the industry. Which of those two is more influential though is a bit more difficult.
Most creative is a tough one. It's easy to say Moore for his crazy stuff but crazy stuff doesn't equal creative in my opinion.

As for who would write a comic for me, probably Gaiman. He's the most tasteful and knowledgeable of the three if you ask me.

Neff

Alan Moore, and it's not even close. The Ballad of Halo Jones is the finest comic book ever written, among other stellar works.

The only truly good thing Frank Miller ever did imo was Robocop vs Terminator.

Breads

Banned
Alan Moore has the highest peaks but Neil Gaiman is the most consistent. Frank Miller was a flash in the pan for me. He hasn't been relevant to my interests in well over a decade and his works have not aged as well as the others (though I do wish Gaiman's older work had an art redo!).

Spuck-uk

Banned
Moore > Gaiman > Morrison == Ellis >>>>>>>>>>>> Miller

Although I don't think you get to Morrison without the weirdness of the first two, and Ellis is never allowed to make a comic without Millers work existing first.

Gaiman is definitely more consistent than Moore, but Mad Alan practically defines the era with his high points.

The Invisibles never gets mentioned enough in GOAT comics, probably because it's so weird it makes Alan Moore seem sane.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Gaiman did *not* write Lucifer, that was Mike Carey. Though he did create the basis for the charachter in Sandman, and a very good basis it was.

Love Lucifer. Mike Carey is hugely underrated. His run on Hellblazer is up there with the best, in my book.

Watchmen was pretty good too.

Man, that comic pushed the medium to breaking point... and then everyone copied Rorschach and all the rapey bits. /smh

...and Ellis is never allowed to make a comic without Millers work existing first.

What do you mean...?

The Invisibles never gets mentioned enough in GOAT comics, probably because it's so weird it makes Alan Moore seem sane.

I love it. I prefer The Filth though. That shit is incredible.

Nakho

Alan Moore, definitely. The best comics writer of all time. Not even including Watchmen, but dude made Swam Thing, Miracleman, From Hell.... damn if it isn't some of the best stuff the medium has to offer.

I love Frank Miller, especially Ronin, his Daredevil stuff and TDKR, but a lot of his comics are bad. Moore doesn't suffer from this.

I can appreciate what Gaiman did with Sandman, but it's just not for me, at all.

Answering the OP, Moore on all three questions.

Dalek

Gaiman for me-he's capable of working on a wide array of tones and mediums. The Doctor's Wife is one of my favorite episodes of Doctor Who. I saw him speak once and just hearing the way he views things and thinks of things-made me really respect him. He seems kind and optimistic and I think that comes across in his work. His imagination is just astounding.

Miller really appealed to me when I was a late teenager but as I grew older it really all lost it's appeal.

Oh yeah, dude. Year One is canon, so it sort of comes with the territory. Even Ed Brubaker's excellent Catwoman series calls back to Selina's past as a hooker, as well as several other Catwoman stories.

Batman's first meeting with Prostitute Selina was actually just explicitly referenced in one of the most recent Batman issues.

1d9bdt.jpg

2dpymu.jpg

Cute moment but damn do I hate the implication of Selina having had to work as a prostitute in her former life. So ill-fitting and unnecessarily demeaning for that character.
Blargh. I 100% agree with you.

Kid Ying

Imo it still holds up thanks to the characters and the crazy shit that goes on in stories
Mr. Nobody alone guarantees that. What a charming villain.

Danny, Doom Patrol is too good. I already miss It.

Animal man, invisibles... Morrison was rocking in the 90's

Nakho

Alan Moore, but I like Elektra: Assassin as much as Moore's best work, so Frank can still hang.

Holy shit, another appreciator of Elektra: Assassin! It's so underrated it's ridiculous. It really does stand toe to toe with Moore's best stuff, now that you mention it.

I'm with Morrison.

But Moore out of those three. Gaiman is, by all accounts, kind of a sleazy dude, and I don't love all that much of his stuff beyond Sandman.

Sephzilla

It's Gaiman pretty much by default. Frank Miller did irreparable damage to comics, especially after he seemingly went off the deep end with stuff like ASBAR. Moore's stuff is good, but goddamn he seems to have a massive ego and basically seems to actively hate comic books.

Allan Moore had the biggest positive impact on comics.
Miller had the biggest negative impact on comics.

But Gaiman is my favorite.

alan moore all day every day

he could only have only done the swamp thing run and it wouldn't be close

Bissette owns that Swamp Thing run at least as much as Moore, if not more so. The art and layouts are all him, and he co plotted much of it with Moore though he was uncredited.

Its a shame Moore treated Bissette badly and stopped working or even speaking with him. Those two were a superb team, and I'm sure that we never got to see the masterpiece of their collaboration. (Their fallout also kept us from seeing the conclusion of the 1963 series at Image, which were deftly done characyers and stories done in the 60's Marvel style, and came complete with some blistering satire in the form of the fake editorial pages, where Moore and I believe Rick Veitch took on the voice of a Stan Lee type and exposed so e of the shady and awful practices of 60s Marvel and Stan Lee.)

kmfdmpig

Holy shit, another appreciator of Elektra: Assassin! It's so underrated it's ridiculous. It really does stand toe to toe with Moore's best stuff, now that you mention it.

A lot of great Miller books are underappreciated. ITT we have many posters saying Miller is trash despite Elektra, Martha Washington, Daredevil, Batman Year One, etc... I wonder how much of that is that they don't like the person and that bleeds into their views on his work.

Matty77

A lot of great Miller books are underappreciated. ITT we have many posters saying Miller is trash despite Elektra, Martha Washington, Daredevil, Batman Year One, etc... I wonder how much of that is that they don't like the person and that bleeds into their views on his work.
I don't think miller is trash. I just think even when you take the person out of it and just focus on the work he has almost as many runs that are notable for how trash they are compared to the good stuff, so the average is, well average.

Then you add on the fact that he was as influential as Moore and Gaiman but unlike those two his influence resulted in what was wrong with cape comics for over a decade.

So the fact that he is a miserable person as well is just excrement icing on an already pretty shitty cake.

Alan Moore can understand characters in a way that most writers would just rather not deal with. I mean, the guy wrote the best Superman story, and Superman is considered one of the hardest characters to "get right." (That story is "What ever happened to the man of tomorrow?")

Miller is great when he'd reeled in. As others have said in here, his work on Daredevil have changed the character and really given us the modern version of Hell's Kitchen, Daredevil, Kingpin, and the rest of the menagerie. Once he was fully unleashed and started doing whatever he wanted without a heavy-handed editorial team, he started getting weird with it and some of it was good (DKR, Sin City, Martha Washington) and some of it started getting really bad (Holy Terror, DK3... everything else since DK2, actually.)

Gaiman is a novelist first and a comic book writer second. His work on Sandman is still regarded as "essential reading" by every comic circle on the planet. I don't really think he fits being lumped with these other two creators, though, as his work has always been pretty consistent. I'm happy his novels are starting to get more of a bigger screen presence.

Grant Morrison is a madman and I say that in the best way possible. He's been given some pretty big projects (Multiversity) and was writing on series that turned into big deals (Animal Man, Doom Patrol.)

Whoever mentioned Hickman is also correct. Guy will go down as one of the best storytellers in comics in a couple decades.

Anyway, gotta go with Moore here. Just too much he's done right and did so many things to elevate the medium.

kmfdmpig

Alan Moore can understand characters in a way that most writers would just rather not deal with. I mean, the guy wrote the best Superman story, and Superman is considered one of the hardest characters to "get right." (That story is "What ever happened to the man of tomorrow?")

Miller is great when he'd reeled in. As others have said in here, his work on Daredevil have changed the character and really given us the modern version of Hell's Kitchen, Daredevil, Kingpin, and the rest of the menagerie. Once he was fully unleashed and started doing whatever he wanted without a heavy-handed editorial team, he started getting weird with it and some of it was good (DKR, Sin City, Martha Washington) and some of it started getting really bad (Holy Terror, DK3... everything else since DK2, actually.)

Gaiman is a novelist first and a comic book writer second. His work on Sandman is still regarded as "essential reading" by every comic circle on the planet. I don't really think he fits being lumped with these other two creators, though, as his work has always been pretty consistent. I'm happy his novels are starting to get more of a bigger screen presence.

Grant Morrison is a madman and I say that in the best way possible. He's been given some pretty big projects (Multiversity) and was writing on series that turned into big deals (Animal Man, Doom Patrol.)

Whoever mentioned Hickman is also correct. Guy will go down as one of the best storytellers in comics in a couple decades.

Anyway, gotta go with Moore here. Just too much he's done right and did so many things to elevate the medium.

I haven't ready enough Hickman, but otherwise I agree with your points. Miller's work, in my opinion was great in the 80s and 90s and has been rubbish since 2000. The later works, which I don't find good at all, do not erase or negate the quality of what came before. Year One, Martha Washington, and his work on Daredevil and Elektra were all significant works that cement his legacy. I also think that it's not really fair to blame Miller for all of the copycats that aped his dark/gritty style without the ability to pull it off effectively. Also, many people misread Watchmen and found Rorschach to be a hero and that contributed to the wave of dark/gritty comics as well.

Xater

I like Moore the best out of these. His writing is always interesting and he wrote a lot of very influential stuff. Tainan is cool but not quite at his level. Miller is just awful at this point, hell Ieven question a lot of his older work.

You can't have any other opinion but Moore. If you say anyone else, that's not your opinion, that's you being flat-out wrong.

I think this is the first time I have ever heard this.

I have a lot of friends who work in publishing and bookshops. He has a reputation for interacting with younger female fans, let's put it that way.

First I heard of that. I worked an event with him as the main guest last year and he was nothing but kind to everyone there and didn't seem to gravitate to the cute girls working it. He was just friendly with everyone.

First I heard of that. I worked an event with him as the main guest last year and he was nothing but kind to everyone there and didn't seem to gravitate to the cute girls working it. He was just friendly with everyone.
I don't want to air too much stuff, but this info came to me from two different people who don't know each other who both consider(ed) themselves Gaiman fans. I believe his relationship with his current wife is avowedly non-monogamous, so at least he's not cheating on her?

He's also an ex-Scientologist. Or maybe still a sort of Scientologist? It's not clear.

I'm tied between Moore and Gaiman. To me, Watchmen and V are god tier... but I love Sandman and Gaiman's writing in general.

I don't give a shit about Miller though. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom