• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

I don't understand how this revolutionary :( It just seems like an easily embedded video file..? We've had those before.
It isn't. People just realized again how awful outdated GIFs are and that we need a new standard asap. Of course it probably won't happen over the next few years...

Tehalemi

Someone make a webm version of

tonystarejeml.gif

so I can use it.

web-m? wif?

http://zippy.gfycat.com/DentalCreepyIridescentshark.webm

:p

Edit:

Not sure if it's bigger for anyone else, but mine is way bigger than I intended, not sure why. When I right click > View Video it goes to the proper resolution.

Now what needs to happen is, all the classic GIFs must be converted to the superior format.

What I'm thinking of doing is actually going through my entire library of gifs on Imgur and creating webm versions on gfycat.com, and see how that fares for me. The webm above was done using that conversion process, and your conversions are saved in your account on Gfycat. Might make that site an alt for gif storage. :3

Levyne

Banned
Ah. I actually specifically said tablets because android's growing phone marketshare made me unsure.

Not that I was really banking on a correct %.

This is my attempt at a .webm with Metal Gear Rising, excuse my sucking as I haven't played in forever and my newest save file is on hard.

Lovely format though this should crush the .gif so long as we get a proper chrome extension. I captured this using shadow play, together the combination will be deadly.

http://a.pomf.se/ykxxqo.webm

Alright, got it to work. This is the future. Damn.

Neogaf better swiftly adopt this and make it auto embed without extensions. I'd be disappointed if we're still stuck with gifs come E3.

Oriel

Feels just like embedded videos TBH. Gifs will probably remain for some time to come given their simplicity and virtually universal support.

MarkusRJR

it works on most phones and tablets. it just doesn't work with apple mobile devices.
It won't display embeded on the default browser on my android tablet. It wants me to download it and open it in a different application (which gives me an error saying it's not a supported format). My Windows Phone 8 device doesn't display it either I think.

Tesseract

Banned
Alright, got it to work. This is the future. Damn.

Neogaf better swiftly adopt this and make it auto embed without extensions. I'd be disappointed if we're still stuck with gifs come E3.

there's no reason we can't have both, gifs can link to webm.

rpmurphy

It won't display embeded on the default browser on my android tablet. It wants me to download it and open it in a different application (which gives me an error saying it's not a supported format). My Windows Phone 8 device doesn't display it either I think.
Yeah, for now, I'm using MX Player to open it up on my phone.

I, I'm honestly out of the loop here. What kind of format is this? I tried it out in Google Chrome with the extension and these things look BEAUTIFUL. But how exactly do I get the ones with sound to work? This is the first time I've heard of such a format.

Like, this came out of nowhere and I'm kind of confused by all this.

Redmoon

it works on most phones and tablets. it just doesn't work with apple mobile devices.

You can actually open the links in Safari and play it with the VLC app(at least that's what I'm doing) to play them. Not a perfect workaround, but its better than nothing.

Opera seems to be playing these without any extra help.

My iPad can play them too but only when opening the links externally with OPlayer.

wmlk

Could someone explain in very specific terms how .webm or whatever is reduced in size compared to .gif files? It's pretty crazy.

Also, would that be with or without sound?

Those of you with android devices, try downloading MX Player and the MX Player codec(most likely armv7 Neon). Plays the webm links smoothly. Not sure about playing them over 3G/4G, though.

*edit* Actually, not sure if the codec is necessary.

Top Bottom