• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

-SD-

Banned

What kind of settings (and what means of encoding) did you use for making that webm? I know the source helps, but that looks very sharp and artifact free indeed.
1. VirtualDub to export the scene into frames as BMP images.
2. IrfanView's Batch Conversion to resize the 1920x800 images to 960x400 and to sharpen them (value = 5).
- Yes, you can resize and sharpen in VirtualDub but I like IrfanView's quality.
3. VirtualDub again to make AVI out of the images and to set AVI frame rate to movie's frame rate. Tip: Open first BMP of the image set with VD.
4. FFmpeg to encode AVI to WebM with two-pass method using VP9 codec and 9Kbps bit rate:
Code:
ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:v libvpx-vp9 -crf 3 -b:v 9216K -pass 1 -f webm NUL
-pass 1 = for generating log file for 2nd pass
-f webm = forces WebM format
NUL = required for log file creation
Code:
ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:v libvpx-vp9 -crf 3 -b:v 9216K -pass 2 output.webm
-pass 2 = for encoding video using generated log file

-SD-

Banned
Thanks a lot -SD-. This is a much better way towards making quality webms :) The slight sharpening is a welcome step.
You're welcome.

Just be careful with sharpening since it does not necessarily make all resized material look better (i.e. closer to the look of the higher res source). It really depends on the scene.

Haunted

Using Firefox 29 on Win 7. Video seems a bit choppy. When I hover off/on the video seems to start and stop randomly.
If it's not the video encoding itself that the uploader fucked up (we had a couple of those in here), it's probably the host getting hammered (mostly pomf.se) for larger files.

People need to think back to the restraints that naturally came about through .gif file sizes and make modest webms.

2. IrfanView's Batch Conversion to resize the 1920x800 images to 960x400 and to sharpen them (value = 5).
3. VirtualDub again to make AVI out of the images and to set AVI frame rate to movie's frame rate. Tip: Open first BMP of the image set with VD.
4. FFmpeg to encode AVI to WebM with two-pass method using VP9 codec and 9Kbps bit rate:
Code:
Code:
I tried the exact same thing except for using avidemux, and the webms don't play in chrome.

Sad panda. Still nice to see working 2 pass encoding, i might try some workarounds.

http://a.pomf.se/xptbgj.webm

My first test, need to play around with the settings a lot more of course to make it look really good.

When it comes to games, I'm unsure about what to use for capturing. I use OBS to stream, would that work just as well for this? (With tweaking the settings for better quality of course).

except all the recent trailer look no where like it.

Dude given what you've actually proven yourself capable of pointing out objectively in other threads it's safe to say you don't have quite the eye for this sort of thing that you think you do
And I ain't even pretending there wasn't a downgrade; it's clear. It's just that I have my doubts that you're even savvy enough to meaningfully discern in any fashion where the game has truly been downgraded. Your last comment about NPCs being 'clearly downgraded' and 'with no light bouncing off' when neither of those things were apparent in the very screen you used for the comparison (and the 'no light' thing being flat out untrue) make this apparent enough. Much less continuing to adhere to the same kind of destructive and truly stupid skewed screengrab comparisons that literally ruin threads on the daily. You're just on the shit wagon and you think that so many people are on it with you that nobody on the road will give a fuck when you start flinging shit off the sides.

If I'm not responding to an alt right now I'll eat my pants

fasTRapid

Banned
ThankfulGlassChimneyswift.gif
Why are you bringing this filthy gif into the holy halls of WebM church?

Quirah

Guys I have problem. I installed add-on for Chrome. I can see only the Titanfall gif and Bayonetta gif on first post. Can't see others. Any ideas?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Guys I have problem. I installed add-on for Chrome. I can see only the Titanfall gif and Bayonetta gif on first post. Can't see others. Any ideas?

Sometime it happen to me that just the first 2-3 videos load and I need to refresh the page for all to show, you might try that.

Edit: On the first page there are several videos linked from 4chan and those no longer exist, being purged.

-SD-

Banned
Anyone have an idea what is causing the blocky grainage at the first bits of the video? Or is that just on playback on my end?
It's not just you. Did you use two-pass method? I had the same problem with one-pass method. No such errors with two-pass.

Unhealthy trend I'm seeing a lot of these WebM's... "My god, Gifs were horrible 2MB for 10 seconds? So glad there is webM. Now I can make 2 minute long clips at 30MB!"

Yeah, technically if you made a gif that long it would be horrible, but overall you're missing the point using them that way since your final product is still way bigger than the gif you replaced.

Code:
Code:

What ffmpeg build you are using, I downloaded the latest 64 bit build but can't get VP9 to work. Hell, when I typed "ffmpeg -encoders", it didn't even list VP9, while VP8 was still there. I have to use a GUI called Hybrid to make VP9 WebMs but seems like for some people, it's broken. Reposting the VP9 to see if it works for you guys or not:
http://a.pomf.se/jqvguz.webm

gngf123

What ffmpeg build you are using, I downloaded the latest 64 bit build but can't get VP9 to work. Hell, when I typed "ffmpeg -encoders", it didn't even list VP9, while VP8 was still there. I have to use a GUI called Hybrid to make VP9 WebMs but seems like for some people, it's broken. Reposting the VP9 to see if it works for you guys or not:

That's strange. I would have thought they all had support. What OS are you using? When on Windows I use Zeranoe's builds: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

84mrg.png

I'm not sure what version I have on my Linux install.

And yeah that webM is completely broken to me, while almost all others work fine.

VP9 to see if it works for you guys or not:
I get the same artifacts in VLC and chrome when I tried two-pass VP9 encoding. To be fair VLCs decoder is still experimental.
They (including yours) work just fine in Firefox and media player classic, so I don't know what's going on.

Edit: here's the 2-pass "mind-blown" encode
http://a.pomf.se/wdszgq.webm

Nope. Same everywhere, VP9 isn't available..
try typing ffmpeg -version, it should say built on Apr 6 2014 (or later)
Otherwise you might have set some environment variables, thus using another version of ffmpeg

Top Bottom