• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Label art looks darker and the top shot of the label looks crooked.

Shadow_of_the_Ninja_cart.jpg

bearbytes

Speaking of fake labels, I have a copy of Clash at Demonhead with a completely jacked label. Anyone know where to find a repro label?
It's weird, almost every copy of Clash at Demonhead that I've come across has had some kind of discoloration on the label. My copy is pretty good, but it took a while to find.

Saga of the probably fake Shadow of the Ninja cart.
But I would like a second opinion if anyone has a second.

That label looks fake to me, I've never seen one cut that poorly. Have you opened it up?

Great game.

I got it in VC since I'm not paying for those prices. Game used to cheap AF, but I waited too long and now it's up there.

I remember playing on the NES originally.

Bought it recently but haven't totally dug into it because I've playing other stuff. It's one of about 10 games on my short of "get them now before they go insane in price." I paid $40 via eBay. I'm OK with that. It's yet another that I didn't know at thing about until I got back into collecting and dove into this thread about one year ago.

-KRS-

I got the PAL version, Blue Shadow, years ago for like $10. Nowadays I wish I'd gotten the NTSC version instead, since Blue Shadow was PAL optimized, meaning I can't play it on my NTSC NES to get that superior 60hz experience.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I got the PAL version, Blue Shadow, years ago for like $10. Nowadays I wish I'd gotten the NTSC version instead, since Blue Shadow was PAL optimized, meaning I can't play it on my NTSC NES to get that superior 60hz experience.

Yeah, this is the one I have as well, which sucks :(

galvatron

Shatterhand arrived yesterday. It works, though it took a lot of Q-Tip/alcohol to coax it to show more than a gray screen. Looks pretty nice on my Trinitron, too.

Although, I briefly thought my cart was still glitching out when I missed a punch in Area A and what appeared to be ordinary level geometry exploded into nothingness, leaving a hole. Turns out that, nope, you can punch this wall open, even in a ROM that isn't at the mercy of bad contacts. There was a white wall you were supposed to do this to above it beforehand, so I'm guessing it's a glitch (this lower wall does open up a small area, but there's nothing in it and no reason to even try as far as I can ascertain), but hey, it's something.

shatterhandu-0tpori.png

It's after the really tall robots show up, if that helps any.

Might want to try crouching in various spots in that tunnel. There are some places with hidden floor panel power ups that'll get auto purchased when you duck with sufficient funds.

NDPsycho

The label certainly looks fake enough. Do you have a gamebit? Everyone in this thread should have one. Would only take you 8 seconds to open and find out for sure.

While he should definitely open it, it could very likely be a legit cart. That label is almost certainly a repro though. Looks like the top of the shell was a rental, with a rental code that was peeled off the side. Might explain a new label if it had any rental label or security stickers on the front too. Curious to see what the pcb looks like now. I'd open a claim though.

Mega

Banned
I can't remember exactly how I got my copy of Shadow of the Ninja. I think it was given to me for free with some other games, from a childhood friend in the late 90s who didn't want his NES games. I was buying recognizable stuff like like Mega Man, Ninja Turtles II/III, Zelda and Castlevania III. Can't imagine why as a kid I would have gone out of my way to buy this random Ninja game.

Oh, so it's a deliberate spot with some actual purpose? Now that's really surprising. How the heck's anyone supposed to figure that one out...?

Khaz

I haven't been in this thread for a while, but have you guys been able to figure out what was wrong with your 8bit Music Power cartridge? Some of them couldn't be played on the Analogue NT I believe.

BTails

I haven't been in this thread for a while, but have you guys been able to figure out what was wrong with your 8bit Music Power cartridge? Some of them couldn't be played on the Analogue NT I believe.

The cart was wired poorly, missing a resistor or something. They discussed it over on the nesdev forum, and I think there was a fix found. Some of the tweets linked are in Japanese though.

red capsule

Can’t seem to pin-point the exact reason why I am awfully terrible at clinger winger for Battletoads.

It’s the only thing preventing me from recording a nice run on the game.

Pure concept wise, it should be a level that no one should lose a life on (pressing the dpad accordingly to wherever the vehicle/coaster changes directions). Easier said than done though.

OnPoint

Can’t seem to pin-point the exact reason why I am awfully terrible at clinger winger for Battletoads.

Pure concept wise, it should be a level that no one should lose a life on (pressing the dpad accordingly to wherever the vehicle/coaster changes directions). Easier said than done though.
because the margin for error is razor thin and incredibly unfair

Timu

I can barely get past that level as well. I do past it sometimes but barely.

Congrats! I would love to collect all the Mega Man titles, but they just cost too much.

I got lucky. When I first got my Famicom it came with Rockman 2, 4 and 5. I bought 3 at a local game store for pretty cheap, and I just got 1 and 6 in the past 3 weeks. The AV Famicom and game set <12 games, had the rockman games, FF 1-3, Mother and a few others> was about $150 total. Rockman 3 was iirc $29? Something like that. and I paid about $80 after shipping for the other two.

dubc35

I thought I had a good fix for the broken joystick on my NES Advantage but no dice. Anyone bought a replacement joystick? Does such a thing exist? I searched a bit and didn't see anything. I think I might go epoxy/carbon fiber layers only because that's what I have lol. It's not something I love but it's part of my nostalgic/retro collection so I'd like to get it back to operational status.

e, for clarification, the joystick broke off at the base when my parents shipped it out. My attempt was to use a small bolt/washer through the bottom side of the 'base' of the joystick. I thought it was a great solution until I saw how the nub on the other side fit into that area. I could cut off part of the nub to fit the fastener head but I'd rather not cut parts as an early option. I am currently planning on laying CF layers with epoxy to connect each section, we'll see if I go that route and how it works out....

bearbytes

I thought I had a good fix for the broken joystick on my NES Advantage but no dice. Anyone bought a replacement joystick? Does such a thing exist? I searched a bit and didn't see anything. I think I might go epoxy/carbon fiber layers only because that's what I have lol. It's not something I love but it's part of my nostalgic/retro collection so I'd like to get it back to operational status.

Might be easier to pick up a new one? I was in a shop last week and they had a box of them for 10 bucks each. If you want to keep using the specific one you already have, maybe you could swap out the joystick with another one.

Speaking of the Advantage, anyone else using it on The Guardian Legend? I've been using mine for my whole playthrough, feels pretty good.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Am up to the Sliph Co. Building in Pokemon NES. Have run into some minor text glitches occasionally but they're minor/exist because of the translation patch. It's hard to describe as the battle system is incomplete but is still leagues better than a lot of 8 Bit RPGs/is balanced, and money/exp is hard to come by (Kanto was always grind heavy though IMO).

Feels like Pokemon x Classic 8 Bit RPGs. As a Pokemon game itself I'd rank it alongside the original Gen 1 games so far, but that's more because it's different from what I'm generally used to from the series IDK. Others would probably rank it higher due to how technically impressive it is, there are less glitches than the originals, and the new ideas/increased difficulty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Yel...648249?hash=item2364e5f839:g:oNgAAOSwmmxW6CSM

Saw this pop up on eBay if people get interested. Wasn't made by the guy who made my copy (different label/no box&manual). It may be using an older translation patch based on the picture of the title screen, but those may also be stock photos. Am a bit jealous of the Yellow cart though.

dubc35

Might be easier to pick up a new one? I was in a shop last week and they had a box of them for 10 bucks each. If you want to keep using the specific one you already have, maybe you could swap out the joystick with another one.

Speaking of the Advantage, anyone else using it on The Guardian Legend? I've been using mine for my whole playthrough, feels pretty good.
A new/different one would probably be the easiest route. I'm not really dying to use it; it's more just trying to get all my old retro stuff back in working order after decades of sitting in my parents basement lol.

StevieWhite

Folks, I done spent the past month or so playing through Ultima IV for the NES, and chronicled my efforts in video form.

https://youtu.be/-mHtBm9SBjc

For my money, this is probably the most overlooked RPG in the NES library. It probably didn't gain a lot of traction due to its complexity, but it's a pretty engrossing game. I'd recommend it to anybody who has the patience to actually take notes while playing an 8-bit RPG.

And it ain't too bad looking to boot...

Anybody else play this bad boy as a kid (or as an adult for that matter)? Pretty amazing how much better it is than NES Ultima III.

Folks, I done spent the past month or so playing through Ultima IV for the NES, and chronicled my efforts in video form.

For my money, this is probably the most overlooked RPG in the NES library. It probably didn't gain a lot of traction due to its complexity, but it's a pretty engrossing game. I'd recommend it to anybody who has the patience to actually take notes while playing an 8-bit RPG.

Anybody else play this bad boy as a kid (or as an adult for that matter)? Pretty amazing how much better it is than NES Ultima III.

I've always meant to give it a playthrough, but haven't yet. Ultima Exodus is one of my favorite NES games though.

What do you like about it?

I've pretty much told myself I'm not going to bother collecting any NES RPGs because I'll just never have the time patience to play them. I have Dragon Warrior and all the maps/manuals just because it's so influential. Also have DW2 and FF from back in my earlier collecting days. But I'm hard pressed to convince myself to buy others. I know DW 3 and 4 are great games but they're also so expensive and I will probably just never touch them...

I've pretty much told myself I'm not going to bother collecting any NES RPGs because I'll just never have the time patience to play them. I have Dragon Warrior and all the maps/manuals just because it's so influential. Also have DW2 and FF from back in my earlier collecting days. But I'm hard pressed to convince myself to buy others. I know DW 3 and 4 are great games but they're also so expensive and I will probably just never touch them...

Don't feel bad, I got rid of DW 1-4 and Ninja Gaiden 1-3 and got an arcade PCB for them a couple of years ago. I still have Dragon Quest 3 on FC, and I have the DS versions as a replacement.

StevieWhite

It's got a generally great localization (albeit with a few serious flaws - "yes" is nearly always the right answer to any question, regardless of whether it's right or wrong), solid graphics, and a pretty epic scope. Pretty difficult if you don't have the map/manual though. Generally pretty rewarding to work through the admittedly convoluted narrative. Plus I can't think of any NES game with more enjoyable first person dungeons.

Basically, it's probably the best you could hope for an "open world" game on the NES.

Interesting. I like the open world idea. Very few such attempts in the 8 bit era. It is pretty astounding how many RPGs are in the NES library for such a supposedly niche genre.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just got back my Twin Fami from Baphomet and pretty pleased with the results!

Was totally unaware of USPS delivering on Sundays though and woke up to the package having been brough inside by my roommates.
I can join in the monthly games now. :)

Just got back my Twin Fami from Baphomet and pretty pleased with the results!

Was totally unaware of USPS delivering on Sundays though and woke up to the package having been brough inside by my roommates.
I can join in the monthly games now. :)

It is pretty fantastic. :D I was super pleased with the results when I got my AV back from him last year. I'm really considering having him mod my Duo-R very soon.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
So can we beat corridors out of order? Because I just blew up corridor 1 and then 11. I guess it doesnt matter?

Only corridors 1-10 are required to beat the game, 11-20 are optional and have no requirements for unlocking, but are recommended for upgrades/exp/fun. Pretty sure some areas can be reached out of order though, it's been a while since I've done my last run.

Ironically I believe 11-20 are required for the extra shooter-only mode.

BTails

So, I was thinking about nominating "Zen Intergalactic Ninja" for the Game Club next go around, since it's an amazing game that never seems to get brought up in conversation, but I just realized its quite expensive on eBay!

That really sucks, considering I would definitely call it a hidden gem on the NES. The variety in stages, especially later on in the game, kinda reminds me of Battletoads. But you know, without the crushing difficulty.

Plus, it's got an absolute killer Konami soundtrack. I think I might make this one of the first games I play through on my Analogue when it arrives, it's been years since I've run through it.

So, I was thinking about nominating "Zen Intergalactic Ninja" for the Game Club next go around, since it's an amazing game that never seems to get brought up in conversation, but I just realized its quite expensive on eBay!

That really sucks, considering I would definitely call it a hidden gem on the NES. The variety in stages, especially later on in the game, kinda reminds me of Battletoads. But you know, without the crushing difficulty.

Plus, it's got an absolute killer Konami soundtrack. I think I might make this one of the first games I play through on my Analogue when it arrives, it's been years since I've run through it.

I own it and would love to play it alongside others. No reason a few of us can't play it on the side.

BTails

I own it and would love to play it alongside others. No reason a few of us can't play it on the side.

I like the way you think :)

Also, I'm just amazed that I finally found a game in my collection that I bought when it was clearance priced, and is now expensive. You always hear
and get jealous of
those stories about people buying a $10 brand new copy of Earthbound, or Panzer Dragoon Saga or something, and now I have one of my own, haha!

OnPoint

It really is a shame as the game would be such a perfect fit for the club. I picked it up for $10 or so many years back, way before the boom we're currently in.

It really is a shame as the game would be such a perfect fit for the club. I picked it up for $10 or so many years back, way before the boom we're currently in.

Same, it's one of those games I picked up on the cheap during the Gamestop/EB Games clearance days. I had real fun during those days with my friends just driving around town hitting every store. And it's not like we just pillaged each one, we took what we wanted, left the rest for everyone else. *hugs $3 copy of Metal Storm among others*

Morfeo

I never played Zen, but bought it years ago for cheap thanks to that Konami-name, would be fun to try it out with you guys!

OnPoint

A friend and I played through Zen a couple of months ago, I even posted about it in this thread at the time... It's a game that I found fun enough once I actually sat down and gave it a fair shake. The diversity in the gameplay is pretty cool and the music is of decent quality... it's worth playing but I just don't think it's worth the asking price of $70+.

If we do an unofficial play session of it, I'd probably get a bit more analytical with my experience. Which could be fun.

Edit: I did a quick search -- when did Bucky O'hare go up to $125? Jesus.

Morfeo

A friend and I played through Zen a couple of months ago, I even posted about it in this thread at the time... It's a game that I found fun enough once I actually sat down and gave it a fair shake. The diversity in the gameplay is pretty cool and the music is of decent quality... it's worth playing but I just don't think it's worth the asking price of $70+.

If we do an unofficial play session of it, I'd probably get a bit more analytical with my experience. Which could be fun.

Edit: I did a quick search -- when did Bucky O'hare go up to $125? Jesus.

The crash cant come soon enough.

Top Bottom