• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Timu

Oh yeah, this month will mark my 1 year anniversary of beating Ninja Gaiden for the 1st time. I would love for that to be in a Game of the Month to see how many people can play/beat it.=p
Dang. The game store I worked for a couple of years ago was selling it for $39 then. I shoulda picked it up. Live and learn!
It's a great game, and that's one hell of a price back then. It plays like Mega/Rockman as well.

Oh yeah, this month will mark my 1 year anniversary of beating Ninja Gaiden for the 1st time. I would love for that to be in a Game of the Month to see how many people can play/beat it.=pIt's a great game, and that's one hell of a price back then. It plays like Mega/Rockman as well.

Yeah, I would have been able to use my employee discount too. Doh. Well if I see it again and it's decently priced I'll nab it.

I've finally embarked on my journey to beat the original Metroid. I was 4 when the game came out and I always heard of my friend's older brother who beat it. It seemed like such a monumental task at the time based on the little I played of it as a tyke. I think that memory scared me off of the game for a very long time. I'm now a few hours in and I've made some good progress and the game definitely holds up. I had tried a few times on emulators or VC but it just never felt right. Now that I'm playing on a CRT with an AV Famicom with FDSStick it just clicked. The controls feel right and the game feels way more mysterious and foreboding than even Super Metroid in my opinion. By the time I'm done it may be may favorite in the series. I'm even eyeing up a FDS copy on ebay so that I use the map in the manual.

Mega

Banned
I either paid $5-10 (my max budget)... or nothing for Bucky O' Hare. But we're talking about the late 90s when kids with PS1 and N64 were more than happy to give away their 8- and 16-bit games. Can't blame them. Playing 3D games for the first time was really exciting. I was envious at the same time I was getting free hand-me-downs.

I don't know if anyone here cares, but Super Russian Roulette is only 6 hours away from meeting its last stretch goal. It is, after all, a new NES game that uses the Zapper to great effect. Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/batslyadams/super-russian-roulette-a-new-party-game-for-the-ne

Looks interesting. Seems like the people in the second part of the video are having a blast playing it but I can't figure out what more there is to it. Just passing around a Zapper and dice roll doesn't seem like that much fun on the first glance. What am I missing?

BTails

I don't know if anyone here cares, but Super Russian Roulette is only 6 hours away from meeting its last stretch goal. It is, after all, a new NES game that uses the Zapper to great effect. Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/batslyadams/super-russian-roulette-a-new-party-game-for-the-ne

That looks amazing. Also looks like it's a Zapper game that could be played on a modern display as well! I would back this if I hadn't already spent a ton of money on NES this month...

OnPoint

Looks interesting. Seems like the people in the second part of the video are having a blast playing it but I can't figure out what more there is to it. Just passing around a Zapper and dice roll doesn't seem like that much fun on the first glance. What am I missing?

Not much I guess? It's a fun party game and likely a distraction at best but it's well designed for what it is, and it's got a crazy amount of voice acting for an NES title. I played it at MAGFest this year (and actually won luckly enough). It's a pricey, I'll admit, but some may be interested.

Latest acquisition. CIB black box game No. 24. Really nice shape!

NDjnGSr.jpg

OnPoint

So I closed voting for the April Club game, but it appears we have a tie... and no tie breaking procedure.

What do y'all think we should do? I'm not 100% sure how to handle it, and I'd like your input.

So I closed voting for the April Club game, but it appears we have a tie... and no tie breaking procedure.

What do y'all think we should do? I'm not 100% sure how to handle it, and I'd like your input.

How did we not think of that?

Coin flip? First one nominated? Cheaper of the two according to Price Charting?

Curious to see how this pans out. Any chance of 15 days for one, 15 for the other, or flipping a coin and putting one next month? I don't envy your position- tons of options.

The crash cant come soon enough.

Funny, I was just re-reading the first pages of this thread and posters back then were saying the same thing. That was three years ago! Haha

I just don't see it happening if ever. Best bet is prices decrease a bit, but not a crash.

Also, I forget if I voted or not for this month. I could have been the tie breaker!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How did we not think of that?

Coin flip? First one nominated? Cheaper of the two according to Price Charting?

I like the cheaper of the two-way of solving it.

Funny, I was just re-reading the first pages of this thread and posters back then were saying the same thing. That was three years ago! Haha

I just don't see it happening if ever. Best bet is prices decrease a bit, but not a crash.

Also, I forget if I voted or not for this month. I could have been the tie breaker!

Haha, yeah, I have been bitching for almost ten years about this, and it doesnt seem like it will happen ever :(

OnPoint

Alright alright alright. Here's how the April 2016 situation shook out.

Street Fighter 2010 and Wrecking Crew ended up tied at the top with 8 votes a piece! Voting this month seemed down in general, so if this tie isn't to your liking, well, you should be sure to vote in the future.

Seemed the popular opinion for a tie-breaking procedure was to pick which game has the lower price. So, for everyone to see, drumroll please...

Based on this criteria, Street Fighter 2010 The Final Fight is our winner. Get your copies now folks, they're really, really cheap!

ElTopo

Banned
Alright alright alright. Here's how the April 2016 situation shook out.

Street Fighter 2010 and Wrecking Crew ended up tied at the top with 8 votes a piece! Voting this month seemed down in general, so if this tie isn't to your liking, well, you should be sure to vote in the future.

Seemed the popular opinion for a tie-breaking procedure was to pick which game has the lower price. So, for everyone to see, drumroll please...

Based on this criteria, Street Fighter 2010 The Final Fight is our winner. Get your copies now folks, they're really, really cheap!

Street Fighter's future is in it's past! Hadoukens and Sonic Booms up your anus, let's go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU21wBNSVWU

Teknoman

2010 was cheaper than Wrecking Crew? Thats a shock...but I guess its because Wrecking is a black box title? At any rate, Ebay bucks have a purpose now lol.

Welp, guess it'll be my time to give this game another shot then. Let's see if I can get past that stupid eyeball after that infuriating vertical stage. :mad:

Timu

Bayou Billy? Any good? Have a chance to grab it cheap
It's one of the hardest NES games ever, so if you want a great challenge you should try it.

Looks and sounds good, but can be pretty hard and frustrating. Some sections require being able to use a zapper; better get that CRT ready.
Just pick Game B and you don't have to use the Zapper at all.

Top Bottom