• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

This is one of those things that I'd love to have even knowing full well that it will tank. And I never thought I'd see a translucent purple videogame system ever again yet here we are

Jaeger

CDs are cheaper, true, but CD drives are expensive and prone to failure. These guys want their cartridges to still be playable in 100 years (literally - they've chosen a special type of flash rom for their cartridges that can last 100 years).

That makes sense. I just wish it wasn't so ugly. :(

Sulik2

I just don't like the choice of case/controller. I would have liked to see a CD based system (because CD's are cheaper, IIRC), using maybe a Neo Geo CD console as the base. That would have been boss. I unno. I don't know anything about that. But I do know I don't like the Jaguar console and carts, no matter how many colors they come in.

The same huge collectors market who spends hundreds on old games (and even more on copies with cases and manuals). If they only cared about the the easiest way to access old games, retro stores like the one I work at wouldn't have been in business for 4 years, now. Digital distribution is not "fun" for alot of people. Some people want consoles and physical media. I know I do.

I said NEW. I understand the appeal of retro systems people played growing up. A new one is the part that is insane to me. Whats the appeal? Its not classic games, its going to be a bunch of new retro games that would be easier to play and cheaper in a digital format then a cartridge.

I said NEW. I understand the appeal of retro systems people played growing up. A new one is the part that is insane to me. Whats the appeal? Its not classic games, its going to be a bunch of new retro games that would be easier to play and cheaper in a digital format then a cartridge.

For people like me :)

I pledged $150 for Volgarr the Viking's Kickstarter so I could have this:

ca3f6c10e74aaf015d6f3cce5c26f3b8_large.jpg
b23c97c5b3ae91b9485ff466d362457e_large.jpg

There are crazy people out there who love special collector's editions, and I imagine a Retro VGS version of a retro-style game would be a pretty cool collectible.

Note that cartridge is really just a case for a USB key, but it's still cool as hell. It'd be even cooler if it were a real cartridge I could stick into a system and have it just play, no operating system or anything.

Theonik

The same huge collectors market who spends hundreds on old games (and even more on copies with cases and manuals). If they only cared about the the easiest way to access old games, retro stores like the one I work at wouldn't have been in business for 4 years, now. Digital distribution is not "fun" for alot of people. Some people want consoles and physical media. I know I do.
I'm still really salty about that. It seems like the days of collecting awesome games for cheap is nearing at its end.

For people like me :)
WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME WHY
Edit: Oh nevermind. I am cool with that.

emb

Digital takes most of the fun out of it, for me.

I can understand why this system won't appeal to most people though.

It would have been easier to buy Wolfenstien: the Old Blood digitally in North America but you still had folk spending the extra money to import the PAL disc of he game. There are people out there more than willing to pay a premium to get physical media; just look at the vinyl resurgence from the past couple of years.

Jaeger

But what if you like the Atari Jaguar.

Then this should be right up there alley. Its honestly an issue for me. I never liked the console and it was one of the main reasons I steered clear of it when it came out!

I may be weird in that aspect though. I do go crazy over what I think is an attactive console design. Even if it's offerings aren't good.

Theonik

Then this should be right up there alley. Its honestly an issue for me. I never liked the console and it was one of the main reasons I steered clear of it when it came out!

I may be weird in that aspect though. I do go crazy over what I think is an attactive console design. Even if it's offerings aren't good.
It's OK, I don't think anyone actually likes the Atari Jaguar.

driver116

You do realise it's the Atari Jaguar in console base design only?

No, don't let him fool you. The people who dislike the Jaguar are not the weird ones in this scene.

Zomba13

I dunno. People going after retro games or importing physical versions of digital games aren't doing that because they just love the old way or things. They are doing it because they love that classic system or those classic games, they want to build or complete their collection, they might find the old games cheaper than the digital re-release on the modern systems. They aren't just "Oh cartridges? Yes please! What? No, CDs, blu-ray and dvd are all icky and gross and don't even get me started on digital!". I mean, I'm certain there are some like that but I doubt they'd be interested in a new (not retro, not old, not classic) system with new games that just come on a plastic cart.

Jaeger

I dunno. People going after retro games or importing physical versions of digital games aren't doing that because they just love the old way or things. They are doing it because they love that classic system or those classic games, they want to build or complete their collection, they might find the old games cheaper than the digital re-release on the modern systems. They aren't just "Oh cartridges? Yes please! What? No, CDs, blu-ray and dvd are all icky and gross and don't even get me started on digital!". I mean, I'm certain there are some like that but I doubt they'd be interested in a new (not retro, not old, not classic) system with new games that just come on a plastic cart.

Eh. Just because they would be interested in this idea or concept doesn't mean they hate modern consoles. Its not always all or nothing. You can be a gamer who just has interest in another console that is doing things differently than the others. Retro collectors play modern games too, believe it or not.

You are ignoring my post where I paid $150 for a version of a brand new retro-style game to be in a (fake) cartridge, that I could have (and in fact already had) download digitally.

bullshit it was

UOCJSCl.jpg
Not sure what you're trying to say here. If I remember correctly Jaguar version had not made the bells slippery (if it made anything slippery) unlike any other version I have seen (PC, PS1, GBA) and this effectively made Allegro Presto easier, but that doesn't make it better, you know.

Krejlooc

Banned
What exactly am I looking at.

I can tell you haven't played these games

Not sure what you're trying to say here. If I remember correctly Jaguar version had not made the bells slippery (if it made anything slippery) unlike any other version I have seen (PC, PS1, GBA) and this effectively made Allegro Presto easier, but that doesn't make it better, you know.

Making bandland slippery made the game so, so much worse.

bullshit it was

UOCJSCl.jpg
The NBA Jam TE port was fantastic. As often as the DOOM port is mentioned in a positive light, I thought it was garbage. The graphics were overly grainy, even for DOOM, and the lack of music during gameplay made the game feel stale and boring.

Krejlooc

Banned
The NBA Jam TE port was fantastic. As often as the DOOM port is mentioned in a positive light, I thought it was garbage. The graphics were overly grainy, even for DOOM, and the lack of music during gameplay made the game feel stale and boring.

There is also stuff like Tempest 2000, Zero5, Missile Command 3D, Iron Soldier 2, Skyhammer, Battlesphere, Battlemorph, and Ruiner Pinball, not to mention really good ports of Syndicate, Cannon Fodder, Pinball Fantasies, Zool 2, Flashback, Another World, Total Carnage, and Pitfall.

Theonik

I can tell you haven't played these games
I have not played the Jaguar version no, but I haven't seen any tangible evidence of the Jaguar version being better other than load times. (People often cite more animations and colours but again I never saw those demonstrated and my impression always was that it was Jaguar fans grasping at straws) but I know about several tangible differences between the Saturn and Jaguar versions. Ultimately the two versions are very much different, so I guess you would be excused to like either. I was hoping for a more informative response since I am actually curious.

Edit: I will admit that I was out of line and I will apologise, for any ill will towards Jaguar fans. I mean you no harm.

There is also stuff like Tempest 2000, Zero5, Missile Command 3D, Iron Soldier 2, Skyhammer, Battlesphere, Battlemorph, and Ruiner Pinball, not to mention really good ports of Syndicate, Cannon Fodder, Pinball Fantasies, Zool 2, Flashback, Another World, Total Carnage, and Pitfall.
I never had a Jag CD so I never got to play Iron Soldier 2, but Iron Soldier 1 was a kickass mech game that was extremely underrated.

Krejlooc

Banned
I never had a Jag CD so I never got to play Iron Soldier 2, but Iron Soldier 1 was a kickass mech game that was extremely underrated.

They actually have a cartridge version of Iron Soldier 2 that removes the cutscenes and the CD music.

There is also Iron Soldier 3 for the Nuon, which is basically the successor to the Jaguar.

All 3 games are really well done, especially for their time. If you ever get a Jag CD, check both it and Battlemorph out. Battlemorph is an enormous improvement over Cybermorph.

Its biggest selling point, the cartridge, will also be why it fails. There has been a resurgence in indie games because publishing digitally is comparatively cheap with little risk. Asking a small indie dev to cover the upfront costs of creating cartridges, then assuming the risk that comes with the cartridges going off to retailers and potentially not selling will kill this platform before it even gets started.

SerTapTap

For example, the same sort of person that will import DMC4SE from Japan because of physical version.

As a collector, there's a fuckton more to collecting than "here is physical shit go buy it". One might want DMC4SE physical because:
1: They want to collect Capcom games, games from one of the best and most storied third party developers all the way back to the 8 bit era
2: They want to collect PS4 games, a popular console by an extremely popular brand which will surely have a great library to fill
3: They want to collect DMC games, a popular series with a very unique feel

One might want some unknown game for this unknown console because:
1: ???
2: ???
3: Says Retro on it, p legit?
4: Jaguar???

You can't just make it collectable because it exists. This project seems super silly to me and basically has zero of the charm a real retro console or retro game does.

driver116

I don't understand why this has turned into a Jaguar dumping thread. The only resemblence to the Jaguar is the design of the base console, not the libarary of games, controller or specs.

ultrazilla

I don't understand why this has turned into a Jaguar dumping thread. The only resemblence to the Jaguar is the design of the base console, not the libarary of games, controller or specs.

I agree. I'd like to see the thread back to discussing the new system, not talking about the Jaguar. :)

EDIT: Made a new edit to the original post highlighting the case being from an Jaguar.

"Previously only available in limited quantities for the Super NES and currently selling in the $150 range at auction is Super 3D Noah's Ark. We are working with Piko Interactive to make a version available to RETRO VGS gamers for a much lower price"
10984251_841044845964787_3711545423677856662_n.png

Interesting. I remember this game was pretty infamous on the SNES.

ultrazilla

"Previously only available in limited quantities for the Super NES and currently selling in the $150 range at auction is Super 3D Noah's Ark. We are working with Piko Interactive to make a version available to RETRO VGS gamers for a much lower price"
10984251_841044845964787_3711545423677856662_n.png

Interesting. I remember this game was pretty infamous on the SNES.

That's cool! I'd totally be all over this! I wonder if they've considered or have contacted Atari about re-releasing the Jaguar games as well.

I'm super pumped for this system. Plug it in and play. No internet, no dlc, no massive day 1 patches. AWESOME!

Trago

I think this will get some serious buzz once they reveal those third party games that are in development. Get Capcom and Sega on this thing!

As a collector, there's a fuckton more to collecting than "here is physical shit go buy it". One might want DMC4SE physical because:
1: They want to collect Capcom games, games from one of the best and most storied third party developers all the way back to the 8 bit era
2: They want to collect PS4 games, a popular console by an extremely popular brand which will surely have a great library to fill
3: They want to collect DMC games, a popular series with a very unique feel

One might want some unknown game for this unknown console because:
1: ???
2: ???
3: Says Retro on it, p legit?
4: Jaguar???

You can't just make it collectable because it exists. This project seems super silly to me and basically has zero of the charm a real retro console or retro game does.

Who's to say all the system will have is "unknown" games?

There are plenty of smaller games that have almost no chance of putting out a physical release on current consoles that user would be interested in buying. Some smaller developers may be interested in making ports to this system just to be able to have a physical release out there.Listening a bit to the twitch stream the developer of Songbringer did where he talked about the Retro VGS and he seemed very excited about the whole thing; even mentioned he would like to prioritize that version over XB1/PS4.

It all depends on the games, and a physical release is something that will get attention from developers. Just remains to be seen if it will be easy to get games ported to this console and if those games are ones that appeal to folk to want a physical copy of.

Krejlooc

Banned
That's cool! I'd totally be all over this! I wonder if they've considered or have contacted Atari about re-releasing the Jaguar games as well.

I'm super pumped for this system. Plug it in and play. No internet, no dlc, no massive day 1 patches. AWESOME!

Atari doesn't own the rights to the Jaguar games. Atari only owns the name Atari and the IPs. Hasbro still owns the actual Jaguar library.

ultrazilla

I think this will get some serious buzz once they reveal those third party games that are in development. Get Capcom and Sega on this thing!

Well the team behind the system have hinted at some pretty big things happening behind the scenes regarding games and developer support.

They must nail the price on the system. I can't see paying more that $150 for it. $200 would be my absolute top price. Even then, those prices are pushing it. If they think they're going to be above $200, they might as well not bother.

Trago

Well the team behind the system have hinted at some pretty big things happening behind the scenes regarding games and developer support.

They must nail the price on the system. I can't see paying more that $150 for it. $200 would be my absolute top price. Even then, those prices are pushing it. If they think they're going to be above $200, they might as well not bother.

I think the console, the controller, and a pack-in game for $150 or less would be ideal. I mean it really depends on the hardware specs, but considering what they're going for, it shouldn't cost very much right?

Don't forget it comes with two controllers and the packin game, I think I read they were aiming at somewhere around $170 to $200 for the package. Though if they make it powerful enough to do PS1-style games it would be more expensive (they weren't sure if they wanted to last I heard).

Krejlooc

Banned
Ok cool thanks. Hmm. Hasbro would probably be a pain to deal with.

Hasbro, to atari fans, is probably the best, most likable company ever. When they bought atari, one of the first thing they did was declare the jaguar an open console, free from licensing restriction. This is unique in the console world, and has been a lynch pole for the very vibrant atari jaguar commercial indie scene.

You wouldnt believe how alive atari jaguar development is. Every year, new, commercial jaguar games come out, from actual publishers. Last year, as an example, a terrific port of another world was released, actually handled by Eric Chahi.

Trago

Don't forget it comes with two controllers and the packin game, I think I read they were aiming at somewhere around $170 to $200 for the package. Though if they make it powerful enough to do PS1-style games it would be more expensive (they weren't sure if they wanted to last I heard).

Oh sweet, two controllers. Man, the price is probably gonna make or break this.

Jamix012

Noah's Ark 3D really is the sort of thing they should be getting on here: Older, rarer games not available elsewhere. Does anyone know the capacity of the cartridges? I'd hope they'd be at least enough to accomodate CD games of the era.

Krejlooc

Banned
Noah's Ark 3D really is the sort of thing they should be getting on here: Older, rarer games not available elsewhere. Does anyone know the capacity of the cartridges? I'd hope they'd be at least enough to accomodate CD games of the era.

Super noahs ark 3d is coming to steam.

A statement about games:

RetroVGS said:
Hey Everyone! We are trying to offer a good mix of games for the console. A blending of new games from new developers, new games from indie and homebrew dev's with good track records, ports of great newer retro titles previously only available digitially and games from larger more established and well known developers. And even some ports of qwerky games that are harder to find or to expensive in their current states. We are going to launch the Kickstarter with somewhere around 20 games announced (and you can create your own bundle) and again there will be games there for everyone's tastes. And even more games will come on board before the console ships next year. So sit back and enjoy the announcements and start creating your wish list :)

How much are the games going to cost?
In interviews they've said game prices would range from around $20 to around $40-$50: $20 for simple indie games, the $40-$50 range for well known licensed titles.

Top Bottom