• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

bigkurz

Banned
BUY IT ON AMAZON.CO.UK! Really!

Its the same thing. Its much cheaper. It will get to you quicker. You can log in to Amazon.co.UK and checkout with your Amazon.com account.

Once you factor in shipping it's not really cheaper. eBay has them for 21 with free shipping. This one comes to 21 with the shipping. No big deal either way, but I'll take the faster shipping

The Lamp

Your console sounds faulty. Mine does not do that and never has done in the three months I've owned it.

Unless you are just going to ridiculous angles, but that should be bleedingly obvious.

I'm lightly tilting it and the image jumps/skips to try to correct the calculations it's doing before the image gets clear again. I don't know if that's faulty...but if so, I don't even know what to do. This 3DS has all my ambassador stuff on it now and the stores are mostly out of these units and I don't want to lose all my software. I've tried calibrating the 3D and it didn't help much.

Welp at this point I'm just gonna buy a used N3DS from someone or Gamestop since Nintendo doesn't want my money and frankly doesn't deserve it at this point. #Salty

Calamari41

41 > 38
Welp at this point I'm just gonna buy a used N3DS from someone or Gamestop since Nintendo doesn't want my money and frankly doesn't deserve it at this point. #Salty

Just wait a few days. The manager at my Target acted like I was crazy when I asked what the status of subsequent shipments looked like. They're coming.

samn

Buying used still helps Nintendo, in a roundabout way. Maintaining a healthy used market allows them to keep their new prices high as there's less of a risk in purchasing.

Namikaze

rGV9Pka.jpg

The haul. The official charging dock looks pretty slick but I'm annoyed that there is basically nothing holding it in place, it can just slide around on your desk. I need something to hold it in place.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
In other words, the picture becomes doubled and it loses the 3D effect. Maybe my model is just trash, but if I tilt the 3DS to the side it breaks the effect, and if I move my head too far up or down it breaks the effect. Those are ridiculous angles, maybe.

Is the Super-Stable 3D feature on or off?

If it's on, is there maybe something which can cause the software to not detect your face/head properly? Eyewear, makeup, hat, headphones, cat ears, scarf, lighting, background, etc. Not actually sure if it tries to detect your eyes, eyes+mouth, or head shape.

Alex

Transfer was pretty painful, very obnoxious and convoluted and it took an extremely long time for me with the method I picked, for some reason, considering I only have one full game purchased digitally (Animal Crossing).

At least the process was clean, no real problems outside of annoyance.

I like the C-Stick though, I wouldn't play an FPS with it no but it works pretty well as a simple add on for camera tweaking and other simple controls. I was extremely confused when I first touched it, as it doesn't budge at all I was just like...what IS this thing...? Was amusing how sensitive it wound up being.

I'm lightly tilting it and the image jumps/skips to try to correct the calculations it's doing before the image gets clear again. I don't know if that's faulty...but if so, I don't even know what to do. This 3DS has all my ambassador stuff on it now and the stores are mostly out of these units and I don't want to lose all my software. I've tried calibrating the 3D and it didn't help much.

It's possible it just has a hard time recognizing your face(I know the kinect had that problem with some people), try having someone else try it out.

psychotron

So everything is great so far, but the circle pad seems a lot stiffer and almost gets stuck sometimes moving it to the right. My other 3Ds doesn't have this issue, it's smooth as butter. Anyone else notice this? Will it get better?

BondFancy

Last N3DS in North Florida me and my girlfriend drove 1:30 so I could get it. Looks like I've got a keeper GAF! Don't worry I took us to a ballet to even it out haha!

PTub9lp.jpg

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought Moon Chronicles to test out the C-Stick...

Uhhhh. The controls are awful. I regret buying this game. Luckily it was only $5.

The C Stick is pretty worthless in general. I can't imagine trying to aim in a shooter with it.

Really? I have been playing Moon Chronicles with the CPP and it controls okay. I was hoping for the C stick to be an adequate substitute :/ .

At least with the new 3D stabilizer, gyro aiming should be feasible now...

stupei

Anyone who has had it for a while that hasn't been using a screen protector? I usually put them on but was wondering if maybe the screens were more scratch resistant than the original DS, when I started taking the precaution.

Anyone had luck with theirs staying naked? It certainly looks better that way.

Really? I have been playing Moon Chronicles with the CPP and it controls okay. I was hoping for the C stick to be an adequate substitute :/ .

At least with the new 3D stabilizer, gyro aiming should be feasible now...

It's brutal. I played Moon Chronicles on my original 3DS with the CPP and it was a lot better.

Really not happy the C-Stick is inferior.

psychotron

I just did a wireless transfer from my 3DS XL that came with New Super Mario Bros 2 on it. My eshop purchases are allowing me to download but it's making me pay for Mario. Did I fuck up?

natertots

Any console sighting in the Metro Detroit/Oakland County, MI area? I called a dozen places as well as making trips to stores. Still no luck.

edit: Is everyone who upgraded feeling it was worth it? I have a XL that's only a few months old, but the hype is making want me to cave in a get the newest and best model. Can't explain it, I just need the newest of the new when it comes to this sort of thing.

Veal

I need a grip for my N3DS. Cramp is kicking in. Any out there?
I ordered this:http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAgfymBRCEhpTR8NXpx1USJAAV0dQyohXknIaDuP2L9ltrumNglrhVseYggMGgGsiCfIglEBoC-yPw_wcB should be coming in on Monday. Will prob throw up some impressions as the cramps are coming for me too and honestly, I feel like I'm just that one step away from having the definitive 3DS experience once I get the comfort thing back down.

This thing is incredible though! What it should have been from the jump. It completely sells the 3D concept.

cruisx

Neo Member
Hey guys, Is there absolutely no way to get a normal size new 3ds working in Canada? Iv never had a 3ds but these new models got me interested but Im not really feeling the XL size.

My understanding is that the consoles are region locked. Is there no by pass yet? like physical or software if one were to import it?

Thanks.

Exile20

I ordered this:http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAgfymBRCEhpTR8NXpx1USJAAV0dQyohXknIaDuP2L9ltrumNglrhVseYggMGgGsiCfIglEBoC-yPw_wcB should be coming in on Monday. Will prob throw up some impressions as the cramps are coming for me too and honestly, I feel like I'm just that one step away from having the definitive 3DS experience once I get the comfort thing back down.

This thing is incredible though! What it should have been from the jump. It completely sells the 3D concept.

Hope to hear from you soon about it. Seems it will be $9 shipped. That is pretty cheap.

I picked up the last N3DS within 20 miles of where I live. Funnily enough, it was at the Gamestop in the same mall where I work. Not sure why I didn't just pick it up yesterday on my way out of work, but whatever.

Of course, my Pokemon save file didn't transfer over from my old 3ds properly. So I lost the small 8 hour file I was working on :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Damn New 3DS is just so much more fun to use since things load so much faster. The new browser is great too.

Now I need to fill up my 64GB card with games. I know where I'll be sinking all of my club nintendo points before they expire

Rootbeer

Banned
Asking this again. Does the back of the New 3dsXL creek and bend like it does while playing on the 3DS XL?

I bought a launch 3DS XL (blue) and mine made that sound on the back. If you pressed it you could even feel it bending, it was a bother. My friend, who bought one about a year later, did not have the issue. Not sure if it's something they eventually addressed or if it's just an issue with some units.

Anyway, I can confirm that my MM N3DSXL does not have that problem at all.

Oh my god, I'm so fucking pissed that I can't get the super-stable 3D to work. It's constantly flickering. It's terrible, way worse than just having to hold my head still with normal 3D. When I go to try to calibrate it, all it says is, "Super-Stable 3D is not functioning properly". Like, fucking thanks, I figured that out. I've tried different lighting environments and I've tried without my glasses and nothing works. This is a major reason I bought the fucking system and it doesn't even fucking work.

hitgirl

I bought a launch 3DS XL (blue) and mine made that sound on the back. If you pressed it you could even feel it bending, it was a bother. My friend, who bought one about a year later, did not have the issue. Not sure if it's something they eventually addressed or if it's just an issue with some units.

Anyway, I can confirm that my MM N3DSXL does not have that problem at all.

Ah interesting that they fixed it. Thanks, it's a minor detail but it really annoys me while playing my 3DS. Feels really cheap. So I'm guessing the N3DSXL has a much more solid back to it. Almost like the DSi.

Chopper

Still haven't been able to do my system transfer due to running into more issues backing up my SD card, but I still haven't found the answers I'm looking for or figured out exactly what I want to do.

I'm considering doing the limited data wireless system transfer option, but has anyone else here done that? If so, has anyone had any issues restoring your save data after redownloading your games? How exactly does that work? Will absolutely 100% of all save data be restored after redownloading everything?
Hi Tye. Do you have a PC? If so, back up everything on your SD card right away. As in, copy everything you see into a clearly marked folder.

The limited data transfer (the third option) will take about 15 minutes, and screen prompts will tell everything you need to know.

The only slight confusion I had was when it asks if you are using a Micro SD, as it is not clear whether they are talking about the source system or your new one. If memory serves, it is the source system they are referring to.

I was terrified of the transfer process mate, but sailed through just be paying attention to what the instructions told me.

If you don't have a PC readily available, you might want to just think about an overnight full transfer for peace of mind.

Good luck buddy.

Top Bottom