• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

The head tracking 3D is great but it still flickers if you're mocing your head too much but then snaps into place a second afterwards.

Right?

Everyone keeps talking how perfect it is. Yes it tracks but I but it sometimes needs a moment to snap back into position if you've moved your head too much.

Empty

i bought one on a whim today (white new 3ds, with wood mario faceplate). god what a great piece of hardware, so well balanced and beautiful. solid and chunky compared to the very plasticky feel of nintendo's recent designs, yet also looking classy as hell with or without faceplates.

i thought it would be hard going from xl to normal sized again but it's just right. lovely to have a 3ds that won't take up huge space in my bag everyday too.

psychotron

I can't believe how great the 3D is on Mario 3D Land now. It's absolutely perfect! Although I'm still having some issues with Ocarina of Time. It's not as bad but it seems like it's trying real hard all the time to keep the 3d locked.

When in the super stable 3d calibration is it very sensitive? If i move at all it flickers and says that its not functioning correctly... Is this normal?

DrKelpo

Banned
I can't believe how great the 3D is on Mario 3D Land now. It's absolutely perfect! Although I'm still having some issues with Ocarina of Time. It's not as bad but it seems like it's trying real hard all the time to keep the 3d locked.

Stop posting stuff like that... I decided not to buy a n3ds an hour ago =(

radcliff

My only gripe with the system is that there is no button configuration for VC titles. Due to the way the buttons are aligned, I want to play NES, GB, and GBA games SNES style, but it won't let me. Its so unintuitive. I guess no VC games for me.

So what are the chances of the regular N3DS being released in NA? The L button of my launch 3DS is borked and I'd really like to replace it with a N3DS, but I'm not sure I can deal with the downgrade in image quality to the XL.

sdconvoy

Well, I just compared my c-stick directly with my room-mates, and mine is DEFINITELY messed up. it will register up and left just fine, but if I push it to the right or down, it kinda slides back after the initial press. it also feels different. This was confirmed through the calibration screen too. AND I already did the big-ol transfer and bought the dang thing out of town so looks like i'm going to have to send it in to get repaired. *sigh*

Other than that, I absolutely love it so far!

The Lamp

The head tracking 3D is great but it still flickers if you're mocing your head too much but then snaps into place a second afterwards.

Right?

Everyone keeps talking how perfect it is. Yes it tracks but I but it sometimes needs a moment to snap back into position if you've moved your head too much.

I experience this as well. I was starting to think I was crazy because everyone said how perfect it was.

Are there any potential avenues for those of us wanting to find the MM 3dsxl without dealing with profiteering scalpers?

Build a time machine?

The MMN3DSXL has been really hard to find, your last shot was probably picking up the extra units at launch. Now that most places have been cleared out I'm pretty sure scalpers are your only option. :(

grave_danger

Neo Member
I haven't noticed any issues with using glasses and the new 3D head tracking. I've played with my glasses both on and off and the result seems to be the same.

FaintDeftone

I noticed the head tracking doesn't seem to work as well in the dark, but seeing as it is a camera, I'm not surprised. Still, I keep the 3D turned on now as opposed to the previous two models which I always kept off. Definitely a huge improvement!

I'm getting used to the C-nub and it works great with camera control in Majora's Mask. I definitely do not see me using it on a first person shooter, though (I think RE: Revelations is the closest thing anyway).

dedhead54

What games are you thinking about getting it for?

As a new 3DS owner, I can certainly say, if you choose to pick one up, you will not be disappointed. If you haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the GBC, oh boy, prepare yourself for greatness. :D

Mostly want to play the Zelda games. Never played any of them. I really don't even know much about the games available. Outside of the big Nintendo first party stuff.

Right?

I think its alright. Its better than the old 3ds XL. But I cant say much since I dont use the 3d function really.

The Lamp

The nub doesn't have enough friction. In MH4, sometimes my finger will slide all the way across the nub before I'm able to pan the camera the whole way I want to. Such a weird button.

Just gone in and grabbed a white new 3DS (decided for the regular model so I can grab me some faceplates). Was simple here in the UK, no stock issues fortunately. Got SSF4 and Layton and the Miracle Mask for free so pretty sweet!

Pachimari

MicroSD. If you want to go higher than 32GB, you can, even though they don't officially seem to support it.
Just format the card on your computer to FAT32 and it'll be fine.
Great thanks.

I just bought a New Nintendo 3DS (the regular sized) in black. A charger. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. And that's it. None of the stores in the mall had any face plates or craddles.

I also already have Steel Diver and Phoenix Wright Vs. Professor Layton. Too bad I sold all of my best games for very cheap last year.

psychotron

Stop posting stuff like that... I decided not to buy a n3ds an hour ago =(

9f596df5f6a0913eaf7c556801be5c4a72dbd734b624f66e71eb11f8c56a5ccf.jpg

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Pick one on Friday and I got to say this is the best amiibo device!! Load up a amiibo for a day and walk away. Come back home. Save the back to the amiibo and repeat. This way I can at with amiibo a where ever!!!! Woot!

DTU

Banned
Reiterating what everyone's said: the 3D head tracking is really impressive (coming from a guy who always played the OG 3DS with the 3D jacked up). The c-nub is awesome, too--works great with MH. I love this handheld. It's not a HUGE leap over the OG, but if you're able to trade up (Gamestop giving a decent $100 credit for trade in through today only) it's a worthy upgrade.

My biggest problem with this so far is the placement of the power button. I had a feeling it would be a problem when I saw that they moved it to the bottom and so far it has become a big problem. I've become used to playing the 3ds with my pinkies resting on the bottom of the console, I've only had it for 24 hours and so far I've accidentally shut it off 3 times already. First time I lost about 20 mins of progress on TotA and most recently it was during an online smash match now I have to wait 10 minutes till I can play again. I play a lot of RPGs so I am dreading all the progress I know I am going to loose in the future because of this :(

georly

Still waiting on mine to arrive tomorrow, but I played the demo unit at gamestop. Super impressed. Super stable 3D is not a marketing gimmick, it actually works and it's incredible. I think if it were there at launch, it would have caught on more.

Pachimari

Just opened up my pack and I have to say the materials is so nice! Much better than my OG 3DS actually. And I liked that small form factor but this one is smoother around the edges and nice to hold.

I have to say, that the c-nub is really stiff though. It almost feels like I'm not moving it at all. I haven't started up the system with Monster Hunter 4 yet, as it is charging but my first impression is, that the c-nub is extremely stiff to move.

So how competetive is the gamestop rate for OG 3ds ($75)? If I can sell my 3ds online for a bit more I'd rather do that, but since today is the last day of the promotion I'd like to capitalize on it if I should.

So how competetive is the gamestop rate for OG 3ds ($75)? If I can sell my 3ds online for a bit more I'd rather do that, but since today is the last day of the promotion I'd like to capitalize on it if I should.

Today is the last day for $75, but I think that"?'s the best you'll get. I'd have to look though.

Nvm, looks like they're going for $100 even on average.

First world problem here. My wife bought the Monster Hunter edition and the Majora's mask edition, she could not reach me at work so she decided to get both, so I can pick the one I like and return the other to the store. Can't decide which to open. Never played Monster Hunter before and it may take too much time to get into the series. On the other hand ...I love how the Monster Hunter edition looks and I have bought a regular copy of Majora's Mask too. Any advice who have seen both in real life or played Monster Hunter for the first time?

First world problem here. My wife bought the Monster Hunter edition and the Majora's mask edition, she could not reach me at work so she decided to get both, so I can pick the one I like and return the other to the store. Can't decide which to open. Never played Monster Hunter before and it may take too much time to get into the series. On the other hand ...I love how the Monster Hunter edition looks and I have bought a regular copy of Majora's Mask too. Any advice who have seen both in real life or played Monster Hunter for the first time?

There's a demo, try it in your current 3ds

atbigelow

Anyone have deets on a good grip for this thing? Mulled over getting one forever for my original XL, but I've had enough.

Also pretty sure the Z buttons are in a garbage location. :/

Top Bottom