• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Rootbeer

Banned
I was a little concerned with the new 3D effect, but it's perfectly stable in normal playing conditions. It jumps around a little more easily than I would like, but when I take my glasses off there's pretty much no amount of movement I can do to make it lose my face.

Maybe the universe is telling me to get new contact lenses.

I'm not very impressed with the super stable 3D. yeah it jumps around for me too. maybe cause of my glasses, I don't know.

But isn't that incredibly strange... let's be honest here, a lot of asians wear glasses. A LOT. so you'd think nintendo would make sure that glasses aren't going to interfere much with it. so i'm not convinced it's a glasses thing.

I play with 3d off most of the time anyway. but still!!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I upgraded to a New 3DS XL from a regular XL, was wondering whether it would be worth itand all I can say is WOW!, the 3D is night and day difference, very surprised how well the head tracking works, even in the dark, wearing a cap, large headphones etc, its pretty much 99% spot on.

That being said I can't help feeling that this should of been what the original 3DS was, I know there are always revisions but I feel this one fixes a problem that was arguably broken on the original system.

Anyway, if you already own a 3DS and you have a vested interested in playing games in 3D then 99% this is a worthy upgrade provided you have the funds for it.

sRkA930.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I upgraded to a New 3DS XL from a regular XL, was wondering whether it would be worth itand all I can say is WOW!, the 3D is night and day difference, very surprised how well the head tracking works, even in the dark, wearing a cap, large headphones etc, its pretty much 99% spot on.

That being said I can't help feeling that this should of been what the original 3DS was, I know there are always revisions but I feel this one fixes a problem that was arguably broken on the original system.

Anyway, if you already own a 3DS and you have a vested interested in playing games in 3D then 99% this is a worthy upgrade provided you have the funds for it.
i'm jealous of anyone who is saying the super-stable 3d works so perfectly... that's not been my experience. i'm beginning to wonder if I should get mine serviced... but i really don't think it's worth the long wait.

I have a majora's mask N3DSXL so it's not like I can exchange it so easily

I'm not very impressed with the super stable 3D. yeah it jumps around for me too. maybe cause of my glasses, I don't know.

But isn't that incredibly strange... let's be honest here, a lot of asians wear glasses. A LOT. so you'd think nintendo would make sure that glasses aren't going to interfere much with it. so i'm not convinced it's a glasses thing.

I play with 3d off most of the time anyway. but still!!

I wear glasses and it doesn't impact my stable 3D.

Chopper

The only thing that impacts the stable 3D for me is if there's a light source behind me. Otherwise it works perfectly. And I wear specs.

I'm lightly tilting it and the image jumps/skips to try to correct the calculations it's doing before the image gets clear again. I don't know if that's faulty...but if so, I don't even know what to do. This 3DS has all my ambassador stuff on it now and the stores are mostly out of these units and I don't want to lose all my software. I've tried calibrating the 3D and it didn't help much.

We need a video to see how much you're tilting the console, but I don't think yours is faulty. I'm not impressed by the ultra stability neither. Sure it's much improved from the absolutely horrendous tiny angle from the OG 3DS, but it can still be broken easily in some cases, like if you're standing too far away, there's dark background on the picture, or if your tilt the console or move your head too fast.

I assume that people in general are way too much enthusiastic and maybe what you think is broken is awesome for others. We don't share the same standard.
But maybe my unit is faulty too...

I just did a wireless transfer from my 3DS XL that came with New Super Mario Bros 2 on it. My eshop purchases are allowing me to download but it's making me pay for Mario. Did I fuck up?

This was pre-installed on your old system correct? You should just be able to re-download like all the others if the licenses transferred over correctly.

Looks like you are going to have to call Nintendo on this.

dedhead54

Ahhh I am feeling this sudden urge, as of today, to pick one of these up. Target.com says there's red in stock at the store that's a mile from my house and black at a store a few more miles away. (I'm sure it's very possible this is wrong but all all other stores within 20 miles say sold out in both colors)

I haven't owned a Nintendo portable since the GBC, or a portable in general since PSP. The hype has taken over though and I don't think I'll rest easy until it's mine. Damnit.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wear glasses and it doesn't impact my stable 3D.

i'm still experimenting with different things to get the best results for me. I tend to have a much better experience with it when the slider is not all the way up (about halfway or a tiny bit above that works best for me)

Also I think having bright lights behind you have some impact, i'm having better results in dim light or when there is more light in front of me than behind me.

My n3ds is sitting with ups 2 hours away. Unfortunately, I don't think they deliver Sundays. So I won't be able to take advantage of Gamestop's trade in promotion.

If only there was a way to extend it by 2 days.

Ahhh I am feeling this sudden urge, as of today, to pick one of these up. Target.com says there's red in stock at the store that's a mile from my house and black at a store a few more miles away. (I'm sure it's very possible this is wrong but all all other stores within 20 miles say sold out in both colors)

I haven't owned a Nintendo portable since the GBC, or a portable in general since PSP. The hype has taken over though and I don't think I'll rest easy until it's mine. Damnit.

What games are you thinking about getting it for?

As a new 3DS owner, I can certainly say, if you choose to pick one up, you will not be disappointed. If you haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the GBC, oh boy, prepare yourself for greatness. :D

quick transfer question... If I do a full wireless transfer will I have to redownload all of my digital games? If so, will I still have access to redownload stuff no longer on the eshop such as Zelda Four Swords, Smash demo, ORAS special demo, etc?

co1onel

So I noticed something weird with my c-stick today. The bottom right side isn't nearly as sensitive as the top left side. I was never able to notice this before because MH4U doesn't have analog controls for the right stick (seriously capcom...), but after trying it out in MGS3 it became immediately noticeable. MGS3 even has a test for the right stick to make sure its working properly, so I could easily see the fault.

This is me holding the c-stick slightly to the upper left
This is me holding the c-stick slightly to the bottom right
If I spin the c-stick around in a circle, the cursor on screen goes around in an oval shape. The thing just seems really finicky in general. I really wish they'd at least put some grip on it because I think that would help alleviate some of the issue. I have push from the left side of the c-stick, as opposed to pulling from the top in order to get it to go down to the bottom right side properly. For controlling the camera in MH4U or MM3D, the c-stick gets the job done, but in a shooter its clear this thing is not a replacement for a second slider pad and I really wish now that nintendo has gone with that instead of the nub.

This combined with the dead pixels on the bottom screen are really bothering me. The quality control on these things doesn't seem like it was very good. I recommend downloading the MGS3 demo and trying out the c-stick test for yourself.

Rich!

quick transfer question... If I do a full wireless transfer will I have to redownload all of my digital games? If so, will I still have access to redownload stuff no longer on the eshop such as Zelda Four Swords, Smash demo, ORAS special demo, etc?

A full wireless transfer does exactly what it says on the tin.

It also takes up to six hours. I would strongly advise using the PC transfer option.

A full wireless transfer does exactly what it says on the tin.

It also takes up to six hours. I would strongly advise using the PC transfer option.
I basically only buy physical though so I have less than 2gb to transfer. From what I heard with that amount of data it should take at most 2 hours.

kubus

I basically only buy physical though so I have less than 2gb to transfer. From what I heard with that amount of data it should take at most 2 hours.
I did the full wireless going from 3DS (2GB) to New 3DS and it took 30-45 minutes. It's not that bad, as long as you don't transfer more than 4GB :p

Rich!

Ah that's alright then

Took a guy with lots of digital content on the Australian launch about 12 hours for it to complete.

The only thing that is a bummer to me is the quirky auto-brightness. I didn't even know there was going to be auto-brightness, but I was wanting it, since I play some during the day and some in the dark before going to sleep and my lazy ass found it annoying to have to go to the home menu to adjust the brightness all the time. So when I noticed there was auto-brightness, I was pretty stoked. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work very well and switches from bright to dim and back for no apparent reason. I actually still haven't turned it off because I'm in denial about how poorly it works, at least for when I want it to stay bright, but it will probably go off soon. Shame.

JohngPR

Transferred my stuff over seamlessly. Man, the way to go was definitely to already be using a microSD in you old 3DS via SD adapter, that way it just transfers your licenses during the transfer process and you can just plug in the microSD from your old system into the new one and all the stuff on the card just works.

I haven't used my old XL in a long while and this has rekindled my love for the 3DS. Luckily my son has Luigi's Mansion 2 and a Link Between Worlds so I can just play his copies of those games. I started LM: DM and am loving it so far.

I got super lucky and was able to get both LEs, for the system and for Majoras Mask 3D.

Hopefully that luck rubs off in other areas of my life and not just in buying stuff. :p Most of all Im loving the super stable 3D. It's a game changer for me personally since I loved the 3D functionality of the console but didn't like the implementation.

Razzorn34

I'm loving the new 3DS. My only huge gripe is the movement of the power button. I have always used my pinky fingers to brace the botton of the unit when I'm holding it up. I have now hit that damn power button 3 times, which closes the game without even asking if you want to.

meppi

Oh my god, I'm so fucking pissed that I can't get the super-stable 3D to work. It's constantly flickering. It's terrible, way worse than just having to hold my head still with normal 3D. When I go to try to calibrate it, all it says is, "Super-Stable 3D is not functioning properly". Like, fucking thanks, I figured that out. I've tried different lighting environments and I've tried without my glasses and nothing works. This is a major reason I bought the fucking system and it doesn't even fucking work.

There certainly seems to be something wrong with yours. I can even play mine in complete darkness and it'll work flawlessly.

Saiyan-Rox

Did anyone in the UK get any emails about the free skull kid statute that was mentioned at the beginning of the month for buying both the machine and MM?

EDIT: nvm see it was for ambassador people just :( lame!

Debs

Did anyone in the UK get any emails about the free skull kid statute that was mentioned at the beginning of the month for buying both the machine and MM?

EDIT: nvm see it was for ambassador people just :( lame!

No it wasn't only for ambassador's, if you buy a new 3DS and MM game bundle from the Nintendo UK store you get the figure free.

Danielsan

Well, despite my better judgement I bought a N3DS XL (metallic black) to replace my white 3DS XL. Not sure that I'm digging it as much as I'd hoped. The finish on the console itself feels cheaper (jagged edges), I think the power button is really poorly placed, as are the volume slider and the stylus placement. The c-stick is also quite the disappointment. I find it very unpleasant to use and not always responsive enough. Other than that I do enjoy the snappier OS and the improved 3D (still far from perfect) and the minor game improvements (better textures in MH4).

Gabe3208

Banned
Not sure what's going on with some people's units, but if mine had ANY problem whatsoever, I'd take it back and exchange it. So far, my super stable 3D works flawlessly, I try to mess with it and trick it by tilting the system too much and sometimes it falters, but more often than not it's on point.

- The c-stick works GREAT for the camera in Majora's Mask.

- The speakers are soooo much better than my old 3DS XL.

- the new volume control placement rocks! I always hated mistakenly lowering the volume on my old 3DS XL.

- Love the new START/SELECT buttons including their new placement.

- The unit itself is beautiful, sleek, and smooth. I hate hearing that some of you have received jagged edged units, that is DEFINITELY not right and you shoul exchange your unit if this is the case.

bigkurz

Banned
Oh my god, I'm so fucking pissed that I can't get the super-stable 3D to work. It's constantly flickering. It's terrible, way worse than just having to hold my head still with normal 3D. When I go to try to calibrate it, all it says is, "Super-Stable 3D is not functioning properly". Like, fucking thanks, I figured that out. I've tried different lighting environments and I've tried without my glasses and nothing works. This is a major reason I bought the fucking system and it doesn't even fucking work.

How far from your face are you holding the system? Mine has trouble further away, but is perfect when it's a bit closer.

meppi

Which screen protectors do you guys recommend for New 3DS (not XL)?

Always Hori!
These are high quality and have the best system to apply them with minimal chance to muck them up.

Unless you can pick up some tempered glass ones, but I'm not even sure those exist for 3DS.

Oh and to make sure you don't get any dust underneath them while you put them on, go into the bathroom and let the shower run hot water for 5 minutes or so.
The steam and overall air humidity pretty much eliminates all dust particles from it.

mid83

Sorry if this question has been asked, but I haven't been following much about the new 3DS. As an owner of the 3DS XL, what are the reasons to consider an upgrade? I have a few 3DS rpg's on my backlog, but I mostly plan to spend time playing thru the countless DS RPG's I missed (I never owned a DS). I hear a lot of people raving about the 3D but 3D makes me feel nauseous so I usually leave if off. Any other reasons for somebody like me to consider the upgrade?

Merovin

Got myself a fault New 3DS XL (Majora's Mask one at that), doesn't read any game carts at all. Time to contact Nintendo, never had to deal with their support before!

meppi

Sorry if this question has been asked, but I haven't been following much about the new 3DS. As an owner of the 3DS XL, what are the reasons to consider an upgrade? I have a few 3DS rpg's on my backlog, but I mostly plan to spend time playing thru the countless DS RPG's I missed (I never owned a DS). I hear a lot of people raving about the 3D but 3D makes me feel nauseous so I usually leave if off. Any other reasons for somebody like me to consider the upgrade?

Well opinions will obvious vary, but I like the feeling of the new 3DS XL quite a bit more compared to the 3DS XL.
Reminds me quite a bit of the DSlite which was my favourite iteration of the DS, until the XL versions came out.

The slightly longer battery time will help a bit as well and I really love the snappiness of the OS now. Browsing the store is a lot more pleasant since you don't have to wait as much since it loads a lot quicker.
Also certain games such as Smash and Monster Hunter 4 enjoy quicker load times which makes the experience nicer as well.

big_z

are there any xl vs nxl screen quality comparisons? the original 3ds/xl have very low quality screens, narrow viewing angles, terrible grayscale etc. back in the DS days Nintendo improved the screens with each iteration so im curious if they've done the same with the 3ds.

mid83

Well opinions will obvious vary, but I like the feeling of the new 3DS XL quite a bit more compared to the 3DS XL.
Reminds me quite a bit of the DSlite which was my favourite iteration of the DS, until the XL versions came out.

The slightly longer battery time will help a bit as well and I really love the snappiness of the OS now. Browsing the store is a lot more pleasant since you don't have to wait as much since it loads a lot quicker.
Also certain games such as Smash and Monster Hunter 4 enjoy quicker load times which makes the experience nicer as well.

Are the loading times on MH4 unpleasant on the regular XL? I've heard some complaining about it.

I've done a system transfer from my old XL to my N3DS XL. I'm selling my old XL to a friend, he can make his own NNID and link it to that one now, right?

canocha

Always Hori!
These are high quality and have the best system to apply them with minimal chance to muck them up.

Unless you can pick up some tempered glass ones, but I'm not even sure those exist for 3DS.

Oh and to make sure you don't get any dust underneath them while you put them on, go into the bathroom and let the shower run hot water for 5 minutes or so.
The steam and overall air humidity pretty much eliminates all dust particles from it.

Thanks, but i can't seem to find any Hori screen protectors for New 3DS.. only for the XL version.

Ultima_5

The only thing that is a bummer to me is the quirky auto-brightness. I didn't even know there was going to be auto-brightness, but I was wanting it, since I play some during the day and some in the dark before going to sleep and my lazy ass found it annoying to have to go to the home menu to adjust the brightness all the time. So when I noticed there was auto-brightness, I was pretty stoked. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work very well and switches from bright to dim and back for no apparent reason. I actually still haven't turned it off because I'm in denial about how poorly it works, at least for when I want it to stay bright, but it will probably go off soon. Shame.

Just turn it off. I don't see the issue here

rizzo0

Wouldn't the screen protectors from the previous 3dsxl work on the new one because they have the same screen dimensions no?

Shengar

Are the loading times on MH4 unpleasant on the regular XL? I've heard some complaining about it.

They are more or less the same with MH3U loading. It's acceptable, but I guess it can be annoyance playing online since you need to went through two loading screen to change equipment from equipment box, while in MH3U you only need to pass one loading screen to change.

Top Bottom