• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Revealed- Salandit

you all ignoring the obvious ..

this thing looks like it will replace all zubats in cave setting

can you imagine fighting this thing every 3 steps and having all your pokEMONS poisoned?

This game seems like XY where there'll be a ton of pokemon in the region, so very few pokemon show up on more than one or two routes

Toxi

Banned
This thing is gonna probably not have great stats after it evolves (Poison types rarely do) and will also have a 4x weakness to Ground. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

you all ignoring the obvious ..

this thing looks like it will replace all zubats in cave setting

can you imagine fighting this thing every 3 steps and having all your pokEMONS poisoned?

It actually looks like it's going to be found beside that huge active volcano you can see on the map. Sun/Moon seems to have XY's variation, so not a lot of Pokemon are going to be commonly found everywhere.

CmxVv5RUsAAfrh5.jpg

Kyzer

Banned
them being open to all species from gens the potential for variety across this region is pretty staggering

Azuran

Banned
This game seems like XY where there'll be a ton of pokemon in the region, so very few pokemon show up on more than one or two routes

Best part about XY and I'm glad they're going back to it. Not seeing the same three Pokemon throughout the game was a true blessing. I knew it was the best when Zubat of all things were only found in 1 cave.

Everyone asking for a smaller Pokedex are honestly crazy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope Poison doesn't get shit on this Generation---well Gen VI gave them an advantage against Fairy which was nice, but there were only two new Poison-type Pokemon and Version Exclusive.

But this is a design that really appeals to me, and will probably end up on my team. I also totally can see this ending up with Team Rocket in the show.

Moonlight

Banned
Best part about XY and I'm glad they're going back to it. Not seeing the same three Pokemon throughout the game was a true blessing. I knew it was the best when Zubat of all things were only found in 1 cave.

Everyone asking for a smaller Pokedex are honestly crazy.
Depends on what you're looking for. XY struggled to find a lot of identity because Kalos had a proportionate lower amount of original Pokemon thrown in with a greatest hits collection of every other gen. There was more variety, but it was still hard to get excited when you were walking into the first route and tripped over a Pidgey. A lot of what made BW exciting, to me at least, was wandering into a new area and discovering all new Pokemon - and when there are Pokemon unique or common to a specific area, it helps establish an overall and distinct theme to the region as a whole and its' components pieces. Smaller dexes mean less homogeny and a stronger sense of progression to filling it out.

I don't mind seeing the same three Pokemon over again if it helps fill out how different a region feels to navigate and explore.

Anyways, Salandit looks amazing. The implied expression and the subtle flourish of an actual bandit's bandanna is just some pretty inspired design work. Gen VII is killing it.

I hope Poison doesn't get shit on this Generation---well Gen VI gave them an advantage against Fairy which was nice, but there were only two new Poison-type Pokemon and Version Exclusive.

If the games introduce a similar number to Gen VI, some types are going to get shit on anyway. Last gen was favourable to Fairy, Dragon, Water, and Grass. Meanwhile Bug, Electric, Ground, and Poison had it the worst.

Currently, no Fighting, Ground, Ice, or Dark types have been revealed but who knows if that means anything. We saw all of the Scatterbug line before release but they ended up being the only new Bugs, while only 3 Dragons were shown before release but there ended up being 9 overall.

At least Bug and Electric are already doing better than they did in Gen VI.

L Thammy

But this is a design that really appeals to me, and will probably end up on my team. I also totally can see this ending up with Team Rocket in the show.

Poison is now weak to Fire, Fighting, Dark, and Normal.

Last gen was favourable to Fairy

I should hope so!

Going to name it Litzard.

Also, amazing ability. I'm really excited about this gen and the weird typings we've seen so far.

Neiteio

Depends on what you're looking for. XY struggled to find a lot of identity because Kalos had a proportionate lower amount of original Pokemon thrown in with a greatest hits collection of every other gen. There was more variety, but it was still hard to get excited when you were walking into the first route and tripped over a Pidgey. A lot of what made BW exciting, to me at least, was wandering into a new area and discovering all new Pokemon - and when there are Pokemon unique or common to a specific area, it helps establish an overall and distinct theme to the region as a whole and its' components pieces. Smaller dexes mean less homogeny and a stronger sense of progression to filling it out.

I don't mind seeing the same three Pokemon over again if it helps fill out how different a region feels to navigate and explore.

Anyways, Salandit looks amazing. The implied expression and the subtle flourish of an actual bandit's bandanna is just some pretty inspired design work. Gen VII is killing it.
I'm the opposite. The reason Kalos is my favorite region is because it had new Pokemon plus the "greatest hits collection" of the previous five generations. I loved how you every time you reached a new route, you could mine the same patch of grass or puddle for like five or six unique Pokemon. It was wonderful seeing them in 3D in a proper Pokemon adventure, and seeing them in combinations not seen before. A diverse Pokemon ecosystem is an interesting Pokemon ecosystem.

That's why I'm excited about Sun and Moon. So far it looks like it's repeating what XY did. In the early game we see new Pokemon like Yungoos but also old favorites like Ledyba. It's fun to see familiar faces living with different Pokemon in new environments, just as it's fun to encounter entirely new species altogether.

Just my opinion, though! :)

Vena

If we're in the mood to alter some old abilities can we get Glaceon some love? Give Glaceon something useful that doesn't require hail.

Neiteio

4x Ground and 2x Water/Rock/Psychic weaknesses aside, Salamandit's typing is not too bad defensively.
It has 4x Fairy/Bug/Grass resists and 2x Fighting/Poison/Steel/Fire/Ice resists. Plus it can't be burned, absorbs Toxic Spikes and can't ordinarily be poisoned.
The 4x Fairy resist is especially rare as you have to be a dual type combination from Fire/Poison/Steel and AFAIK Heatran is currently the only one.
(If it's not completely frail it should be able to waltz in on Scizor whose coverage is usually Bug/Steel/Fighting all of which are resisted.)

If a Pokemon has other redeeming qualities, a single 4x weakness can be worked around even one as common as Ground (ask Heatran).
I hope Salamandit or its evolution gets decent stats. Anything else would be a waste of a cool, unique typing.
Yeah, I think this Pokemon has a lot of potential. Its stats may be low, and a 4x Ground-type weakness seems like a huge liability with Earthquake being so ubiquitous (and on certain Steel-types it'd counter like Metagross, for that matter). But no Pokemon is strong against every type. That's the reason why we switch Pokemon in and out. I have a feeling there will be smart uses for Salandit's line. Corrosion is a crazy ability, and I wouldn't be surprised if this lizard is a speedy lil' fellow.

Azuran

Banned

I get that some people like seeing the new Pokemon take center stage and that's fine. I really enjoyed BW because of that. However the big problem for me is that it translates to little to no variety from in game trainers which means you'll be fighting the same stuff over and over again which gets old really fast. ORAS going back to a limited Pokedex made that pretty clear to me. There's only so many Wingull/Pelipper a human being can take before going crazy.

I believe the XY Pokemon were better received than the ones in DP and BW because they weren't shoved right into everyone;s face. It just felt natural seeing them hanging out with all the classic everyone already knew and loved. Seeing a gym leader using unexpected mons like Sunskirt and Jumpluff certainly brought a smile to my face.

ffdgh

If we're in the mood to alter some old abilities can we get Glaceon some love? Give Glaceon something useful that doesn't require hail.

Honestly surprised they haven't made hail give ice types 50% more defense since Rock types gets 50% more special defense from sand storm.

Neiteio

Poison is now weak to Fire, Fighting, Dark, and Normal.
I'm looking at Gen 6 type charts, and Poison resists Fighting, is neutral against Fire, is neutral against Dark, and is neutral against Normal. Salandit has nothing to fear from those four types.

Seems like he'd be a good Aegislash killer, resisting or neutral to many of his moves and able to inflict Toxic so Aegislash withers away while turtling behind King's Shield.

SuperSah

Banned
The Pokemon in these new games look stupid.

First there was the weird water starter, that boxy looking train/bug thing and now this.

lol come on

Neiteio

The Pokemon in these new games look stupid.

First there was the weird water starter, that boxy looking train/bug thing and now this.

lol come on
Salandit the Salamander Bandit looks fucking awesome.

Will nickname mine "Sinh" in reference to the Dark Souls 2 boss who torched/poisoned my ass countless times.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm the opposite. The reason Kalos is my favorite region is because it had new Pokemon plus the "greatest hits collection" of the previous five generations. I loved how you every time you reached a new route, you could mine the same patch of grass or puddle for like five or six unique Pokemon. It was wonderful seeing them in 3D in a proper Pokemon adventure, and seeing them in combinations not seen before. A diverse Pokemon ecosystem is an interesting Pokemon ecosystem.

That's why I'm excited about Sun and Moon. So far it looks like it's repeating what XY did. In the early game we see new Pokemon like Yungoos but also old favorites like Ledyba. It's fun to see familiar faces living with different Pokemon in new environments, just as it's fun to encounter entirely new species altogether.

Just my opinion, though! :)
I don't think XY could have in any way avoided the greatest hit collection thing, to be fair. It was the jump to 3D, so obviously the game needed to have old favourites in the shiny coat of paint. I seriously value discovery, though, and again, it's why Gen V is my favourite gen in the series. Diversity in Pokemon games is something I view in broader strokes. Ecosystems aren't made up of the same handfuls of creatures globally and that's what I think new generations in new regions should strive for. People made fun of Woobat and such, but I appreciated the ubiquity of it over anything I'd seen outside of Unova, and it helped establish the whole familiar but different vibe to the region.

All of this to say that while I doubt we'll get a refresh anything like Gen V soon, I hope Sun and Moon much more heavily represents its' newer generation. I'd like Alola to feel fresh and have a... defined ownership of what lives in it, not so much a cross-section of previous games with some surprises sprinkled in.

Neiteio

I don't think XY could have in any way avoided the greatest hit collection thing, to be fair. It was the jump to 3D, so obviously the game needed to have old favourites in the shiny coat of paint. I seriously value discovery, though, and again, it's why Gen V is my favourite gen in the series. Diversity in Pokemon games is something I view in broader strokes. Ecosystems aren't made up of the same handfuls of creatures globally and that's what I think new generations in new regions should strive for. People made fun of Woobat and such, but I appreciated the ubiquity of it over anything I'd seen outside of Unova, and it helped establish the whole familiar but different vibe to the region.

All of this to say that while I doubt we'll get a refresh anything like Gen V soon, I hope Sun and Moon much more heavily represents its' newer generation. I'd like Alola to feel fresh, not so much a cross-section of previous games with some surprises sprinkled in.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely loved Gen V's approach where everything was new. But I think that only works if they go for 150+ new Pokemon. I imagine GF is trying to pace themselves en route to 1,000 Pokemon, so the focus now is probably some new, a lot of old, and a plethora of alternate forms (i.e. Megas, etc). And I think that works well. I still love all of the old Pokemon, so having them alongside the new guys is the best of both worlds. It's great having so many Pokemon to find on each route. :)

Trakan

Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely loved Gen V's approach where everything was new. But I think that only works if they go for 150+ new Pokemon. I imagine GF is trying to pace themselves en route to 1,000 Pokemon, so the focus now is probably some new, a lot of old, and a plethora of alternate forms (i.e. Megas, etc). And I think that works well. I still love all of the old Pokemon, so having them alongside the new guys is the best of both worlds. It's great having so many Pokemon to find on each route. :)

Is there anything to indicate this is actually the case? I always assumed X/Y were like that because they had to do models for all existing Pokemon and the new inclusion of Megas. I wasn't a fan of this, and I know from reading various sites I wasn't the only one. I was hoping they would listen to feedback on that for this generation.

Kyzer

Banned
Is there anything to indicate this is actually the case? I always assumed X/Y were like that because they had to do models for all existing Pokemon and the new inclusion of Megas. I wasn't a fan of this, and I know from reading various sites I wasn't the only one. I was hoping they would listen to feedback on that for this generation.

Could go either way still. Wondering the same thing. If there's not a lot of new Pokemon I expect a ridiculous amount of features

Neiteio

We really don't know. I just said I imagine it to be the case. To elaborate on this further: I don't think they'll drop Mega Evolutions. So that right there necessitates a fair amount of design work. When you count XY's Megas alongside the new Pokemon, it still comfortably hit ~100 new designs, bringing it roughly in line with the number of new designs introduced in Gen 2, iirc.

And in general, there's no need for them to be stingy. There are 720+ Pokemon (even more now with the ~30 revealed so far for Sun/Moon), so they might as well spread the love and give us lots to catch on each route, from every generation.

Its name is definitely a portmanteau of "salamander" and "bandit."

But of course it's not a literal salamander. It's a Pokemon. :p
Right, but it's based on a lizard. That's why is the Toxic Lizard Pokemon and it has more characteristics with lizards than with salamanders, including having a lizard face.

The name is just wrong, or referring to the fact that it breathes fire a la the Charmander line.

Salamanders are "lizards" that were historically associated with fire.
Yeah, the name seems to be referring to the mythical lizards called "salamander", but it's actually a lizard. They're pretty clear about it. If you're looking for a Pokemon based on a salamander rather than a lizard, look to the Quagsire line.

Vex_

Banned
Anyone else think it looks like he is grinning from the side? What a smirk!

It makes me smile cuz he looks so happy haha XD.

Exactly. Titanboa being too literal like when he said Lunaala could only be a Fairy-type since moon-based moves are now associated with Fairy.
You're wrong. I said Lunaala wouldn't be Dark type (the moon gives off light) and would probably be Psychic because of Cressalia. It's also literally the "Toxic Lizard" Pokemon, has a face that looks like a lizard and nothing like a salamander, and has a name that alludes to a mythical lizard. This is really intuitive.

I mean, it's actually a pokemon. So...
A "Lizard Pokemon".

Vex_

Banned
Ya know what? Since he is a fire type, I guess this means whenever he needs to heat up, he can just do it himself instead of going out into the sun to warm up and regulate his temperature??? In the winter, he will be fine as well.

Unlike real cold blooded lizards.

Neiteio

I said Lunaala wouldn't be Dark type (the moon gives off light) and would probably be Psychic because of Cressalia. It's also literally the "Toxic Lizard" Pokemon, has a face that looks like a lizard and nothing like a salamander, and has a name that alludes to a mythical lizard. This is really intuitive.
I agree its actual design is based on other lizards, but it's a Pokemon so it's not beholden to exact details. It evokes salamanders in its name and its use of fire.

You're right, though, about the Lunaala discussion. I checked the tape and you did acknowledge that Psychic would seem fitting.

So it's design and name are pulling from actual lizards and mythological fire lizards called salamanders.
Yup, not salamanders.

I agree its actual design is based on other lizards, but it's a Pokemon so it's not beholden to exact details. It evokes salamanders in its name and its use of fire.

You're right, though, about the Lunaala discussion. I checked the tape and you did acknowledge that Psychic would seem fitting.
The "salamander" it's evoking is a mythical lizard, not a salamander.

Top Bottom