• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer revealing the final starter evolutions & more

I've totally turned the page on Incineroar after the video. He looks goofy and fun and has a cool personality. I would never pick him over Primarina, but I totally respect the design.

But I'm even lower now on Decidueye. Gritty sniper owl just doesn't look fun. Looks like Zack Snyder invented a Pokemon.
I like how he's apparently still super stuffy and gets in a huff if you surprise him. Still some Edgeworth vibes

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How does the timeline go again? How does B/W compare to X/Y? I think B/W and X/Y are the only other games with prominent side characters or champions that would get noticeable design changes from "growing up".

FRLG/RSE --> three years --> HGSS/DPPT --> three years --> BW --> two years --> BW2.

ORAS --> eight years --> XY.

It's not clear if ORAS retcons RSE or we're doing separate timelines now. Not sure when Sun/Moon is, although if it is also two-three years after XY, then Red, Blue and Wally should be 20-21. You can technically fit the Colosseum games and the Ranger games on there as I think they're canon too. IIRC Colosseum takes place at the same time as FRLG/RSE and XD takes place a year after HGSS/DPPt. No idea about the Ranger games - I think the first one is at the same time as DPPt, but that's all I remember.

Forkball

Legitimately the worst I've seen for a starter outside of Feraligatr.
I love how they never fixed this and never will.

Decidueye is really bad. If he's supposed to be the highlighted starter/future Smash charter they could not have given him a clunkier name. Incineroar is fine, but Primarina gives me Primal Reversion vibes and I start shaking.

Toxi

Banned
Incineroar used Pay Day!

giphy.gif

Deh-sid-ju-eye.

Like Deciduous

It's a really fucking bad name. Legitimately the worst I've seen for a starter outside of Feraligatr.
I think it might seem less bad once you get used to it. I remember people getting super pissed at Greninja at first too.

I mean it's no Incineroar of course. Gonna name mine Furio T.

Wiseblade

I really hope Zinnia and Hugh return in the Battle Tree. Not because I think they're particularly compelling characters, but because I want their battle themes in the game. If Wifi battles work like they do in ORAS, I'll have some of the best tracks in the series to choose from.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do you guys think it'd be unfair to use Incineroar as an avatar? I imagine there are folks on here who don't wanna know the final Starter evolutions at this point so it seems perhaps too early even though it's official. Wanna show my (purely platonic) love for Tiger Daddy.

TWILT

Banned
Ayyy Decidueye. Grass/Ghost is a super cool typing and gives me hope he won't be ass competitive wise. Still so cool though.

And also MY BOYS RED AND BLUE. AND THEY ACTUALLY LOOK GROWN UP WTF. CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME NOW. I love that they kept Red silent after all this time haha. The PWT in BW2 is one of my favorite things about that game, so I'm really looking forward to the Tree in general.

Toxi

Banned
I love how they never fixed this and never will.

Decidueye is really bad. If he's supposed to be the highlighted starter/future Smash charter they could not have given him a clunkier name. Incineroar is fine, but Primarina gives me Primal Reversion vibes and I start shaking.
We could probably come up with a better name, or at least one more natural to say.

Strigifire (Strigiforme+Fire)

rhandino

Banned
Exactly. It's a portmanteau of deciduous + eye, on account of him being a leafy archer.

Do you guys think it'd be unfair to use Incineroar as an avatar? I imagine there are folks on here who don't wanna know the final Starter evolutions at this point so it seems perhaps too early even though it's official. Wanna show my (purely platonic) love for Tiger Daddy.
I am pretty sure I saw some people with avatars from the early leak so there should not be a problem me thinks

Had to look up what decidious was since English isn't my first language, but now I know what it means Decidueye makes sense. I'll probably rename it though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, owl looks kind of like they tried to transfer Greninja base into a new monster. Almost the exact same concept a ninja is usually just a varaition of a rougue in RPGs.

If you think about it it's basically Greninja + Hawlucha, two of the most popular Gen VI Pokemon.

I just realised, I'm sure there are some folks out there upset that Red isn't still a "badass" hermit living alone freezing his bollocks off on Mt Silver.
hohoho

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Wait, if Ash is technically a part of the game's canon with Ash-Greninja, who is Blue supposed to be? Some guy who looks remarkably like Gary?

I don't understand. Will there be a league in this game or not? Or it will be like ORAS's battle frontier?

The Battle Frontier was never mentioned pre-release for ORAS, unlike this.

The Alola League may be postgame content and the main story could just revolve around the Island Challenge and Ultra Beasts.

I wonder if there'll be gyms as well.

red and blue look like college kids and its fucking great

That's what I love about the redesigns, they just look normal. No flourishes.

The Battle Frontier was never mentioned pre-release for ORAS, unlike this.

The Alola League may be postgame content and the main story could just revolve around the Island Challenge and Ultra Beasts.

I wonder if there'll be gyms as well.

The site seems to be implying that it's something that opens up after you beat all the island challenges.

One of the more reliable sets of leaks mentions that your postgame goal is to build a league. And there are a bunch of empty lots dotted around Alola.

Puruzi

Banned
I've also changed my tune significantly on Luchalitten. Primarina still destroys but he's actually pretty cool and I like his animations.

Fantastic trailer! The Rowlett line going from Grass/Flying to Grass/Ghost came out of nowhere.

I'm glad Incineroar is Fire/Dark and it looks awesome in game!

Primarina is too cute for its own good.

There certainly are a lot of Fairy and Psychic types in this generation, but I'll get over that.

And I'm glad Cynthia, the queen, is somewhere in the game!

Also Red & Blue literally slayed me. The boys are back in town.

LordKano

This is gonna be the best game in the whole fucking serie, right ?
Because I honestly can't see it otherwise. Everything seems so on point. It's like, they've learned EVERYTHING.

Aleh

This is gonna be the best game in the whole fucking serie, right ?
Because I honestly can't see it otherwise. Everything seems so on point. It's like, they've learned EVERYTHING.
Ikr?! Just when you think it can't possibly get any better and then BAM

Top Bottom