• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer revealing the final starter evolutions & more

Toxi

Banned
So if Blue is Green in Japan, does that mean this girl is Blue over there?

yWYt8vb.png
Yes.

Zomba13

Yo I had FAITH of Fire/Dark since Day 1. I see alot of posers switching sides after the type reveal! 👀

I had hoped for Fire/Dark but had no hope. I expected them to go "I know, let's make him Fire/Fighting! We've not had one of those before right?" and we'd have another Fire/Fighting starter to go with the rest. I'm so happy my hopes came true and not my expectations.

Growlie19

Loving all the starter final evos. Primarina for in-game, Incineroar and Decidueye for competitive. Incineroar looks especially fun to use with those animations.

Macka

Okay, that trailer was hype as fuck.

Love Decidueye even if the name is a bit of a mouthful. I actually like Incineroar too now, he has some great animations! Still not keen on Primarina at all though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Fire/Dark, good, the people crying over Fighting type were getting super annoying.

Still a bit confused over the communication features. All I've ever wanted to do is compete in some kind of doubles with a friend as my partner over Wi-Fi. Possible yet?

Tall4Life

Hell yes, getting Incineroar. Naming him Tiger Mask/Tiger Mask II/Tiger Mask W/etc. would be too easy...maybe I'll pick someone from Lucha Underground or just name him Haitch, as both are heels and bloated as fuck.

Though, if I name my first Litten Tiger Mask, I can breed for a perfect IV/nature Litten in the future and name that one Tiger Mask II or W, and it will be super canon

Toxi

Banned
Fire/Dark, good, the people crying over Fighting type were getting super annoying.
With reason. We already have three Fire/Fighting starters with high physical attack stats, a fourth would be redundant and would probably be overshadowed like Emboar was.

ZeroX03

Banned
With reason. We already have three Fire/Fighting starters with high physical attack stats, a fourth would be redundant and would probably be overshadowed like Emboar was.

I get that. People have been saying it for a long time. Really don't need to hear the same damn complaints. You're literally over the hundredth person I've seen say that.

Decidueye?
Incineroar?

uggggh.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm picking Popplio now...

As much as I think Pokemon designs generally tend to stay solid over time, Game Freak's naming conventions sure don't. Sometimes I imagine to myself what older Pokemon might be named today. And I shudder

Charizard? Combustigeck
Dragonite? Dragondorable
Feraligatr? Feralidile
Wooper? Tadpale
Ekans? Snakekans
Dunsparce? Ouroboring
Ursaring? ...Ursaring
and so on

hey that'd make a fun thread :p

I thought it was a play on deciduous as in the type of tree

That's what I'm thinking but it's still clunky af

Toxi

Banned
I agree. I hope they do the same for more of the returning trainers from old generations. Wally seems to be the same age (or am I mis-remembering) which makes me concerend though.
I'll just blame Wally's apparent age on whatever growth inhibition made Red not visibly age a day between gen 1 and 2.

Joqu

Unlike Ethan/Kris/Lyra, Blue actually shows up as a distinct character outside his generation. The reason we call him Blue is because that's what GSC/HGSS/B2W2 do.

His colour scheme wasn't a thing in those games was it? Or at least it wasn't in HGSS, that's the design I remember

Anyway, I'm not bothered by anyone calling him Blue, I usually do so too. But once you start designing his outfit after his name like Red's is it really does stand out to me. So I'm bothered TPC hasn't bothered changing it, and yes, this is an absurdly minor issue. But they should've done it back with HGSS really, after LeafGreen happened internationally

And if the international audience knows him as Gary, then the Japanese audience knows him as Shigeru.

Which might very well be the case, I wouldn't know! All I know is I see most people refer to him as Gary anyway, so I can't imagine a lot of people would notice a name change.

Toxi

Banned
Decidueye?
Incineroar?

uggggh.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm picking Popplio now...

As much as I think Pokemon designs generally tend to stay solid over time, Game Freak's naming conventions sure don't. Sometimes I imagine to myself what older Pokemon might be named today. And I shudder

Charizard? Combustigeck
Dragonite? Dragoncutey
Feraligatr? Feralidile
Wooper? Tadpale
Ekans? Snakekans
Dunsparce? Ouroboring
and so on

hey that'd make a fun thread :p

That's what I'm thinking but it's still clunky af
Incineroar's a great name. Roles off the tongue and sounds aggressive. A lot like Charizard.

Decidueye is a garbage name. Very awkward to say and it doesn't communicate the feel of the Pokemon at all. Like why even use deciduous as part of the name? Is the Pokemon associated with autumn leaves falling?

Torokil

They are intentionally making the grass starter extremely powerful to make him the mascot for this gen, just like with Greninja. He's gonna have some crazy ass HA to go along with it.

#wakeupsheeple

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Don't forget that heel wrestlers need the crowd to build up HEAT.

Yeah it's not just a typical "heel wrestler" but has layers of puns on him. Then there's his backstory literally lifted from Tiger Mask (a heel wrestler too but works for orphans).

Are there people seriously bitching about the Gen 1 rival's name? Holy shit get over it. If you want it to be Green so bad, play in Japanese, it's already on the cart anyway.

DrArchon

They are intentionally making the grass starter extremely powerful to make him the mascot for this gen, just like with Greninja. He's gonna have some crazy ass HA to go along with it.

#wakeupsheeple

Well, with Ivysaur getting cut, we DO need another grass type Pokemon in Smash Bros...

Forkball

He was always nice after RBY, In GS he admits to missing Red.

He's still kind of a dick in GS. He refuses to battle with you until you get all the Kanto badges and calls the Johto gyms pathetic since you beat them. His dialogue is typically stand offish and even though he admits defeat he still vows to defeat you eventually. Plus his gym has all these annoying puzzles which sounds like something he would implement.

Top Bottom