• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer revealing the final starter evolutions & more

Joqu

Green's western name's seriously annoying me too nowadays. I don't care if he's been known as Blue in the west, Leaf Green happened and most people call him Gary anyway, when he's primarily wearing green while Red's wearing red the name really makes no sense. They're such generic names anyway, no need to stick with Blue because of reasons that don't hold water any longer

I know they aren't as "iconic" but Ethan wasn't known as Ethan until the remakes and Kris got completely scrapped for Lyra anyway

MogCakes

Also worth noting that one of the earliest Chinese leaks called the fact that there is no E4 and that you would possibly have to create it. I'm curious how that will play out. I don't want it to just be the Kahunas popping up again.

Imagine if the path you take through the game determines what trainers become the E4. I doubt it will happen that way though.

Crackpot theory time: Fairy has been nerfed and is now weak to ghost.

Gen 6: Water/Dark-Fire/Psychic-Grass/Fighting-Water/Dark

Each subtype is super effect against the next

Gen 7: Water/Fairy-Fire/Dark-Grass/Ghost-Water/Fairy

The only one that doesn't hold up here is ghost versus fairy. Thus ghost now must be super effective against fairy because patterns are fun or something

TL;DR: It's probably nothing.

Incineroar isn't weak to Fairy. Fire cancels out the weakness.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
he's fucking adorable and he's tsundere!

fkiudg.gif
akgonw.gif

May go the owl then since I will have the moon version of rockruff who seems defensive.

What's the rest of your team look like? Night Rockruff didn't stride me as he hits hard. Litten will hit hard. I'm choosing Rowlet too and while feel confident about his speed being good I'm not so sure about either of his attack stats. I'm hoping they'll be around Greninja stats and at best he has a high attack or sp. Attack stat and a low opposite.

Some details have come for the communication features.
Quick Communication is Local wireless only and has Single & Double Battle options
In the Festival Plaza, you have access to Single, Double, Multi Battles as well as the Battle Royal in Local and Online options.
Battle Spot Free Battle has Single and Double options, as well as a Battle Royal option. Free Battle also allows you to choose between whether you want to battle Special Pokémon (Legendary & Mythical) or not
Battle Spot Rating Battle only has Single and Double options, as well as the VGC ladder.
Nice!

What's the rest of your team look like? Night Rockruff didn't stride me as he hits hard. Litten will hit hard. I'm choosing Rowlet too and while feel confident about his speed being good I'm not so sure about either of his attack stats. I'm hoping they'll be around Greninja stats and at best he has a high attack or sp. Attack stat and a low opposite.
My team is looking like
Rowlet
Night ruff
Kommo-o
Vikavolt
Ash greninja
Salandit

zroid

Banned
I absolutely love Primarina, although going with Decidueye (at first)

Incineroar continues the trend for me where the best base starter ultimately evolves into the worst. Ah well!

Brooooo!!! I'm screaming!!!

Litten is my new favorite starter my lord!!! Fuck yes!! This game is soo fucking lit!! I'm calling it Beltigre or Tiger Mask. So sick!!! I'm grabbing me a Robin Hoot as well!!!

Double effectiveness! Dark against Ghost! Fairy against Dark!

Yo the post game looks fucking sick. Give me this game already!

Psyfer

Primarina is so damn ugly, and Decidueye is probably the worst name for a pokemon ever. Everything else looks great though. Grass starter it is!

Zomba13

Grass/Ghost from outta nowhere!

So happy Wrestle Cat is Fire/Dark. So so SO happy it's not another Fire/Fighting even if the concept is bipedal fire animal that hits things with fists. Water/Fairy for Mama Poplio was predictable and cool.

RED/BLUE!? Get hyped.

Not a fan of seeing the Pokémon league get constructed. It just feels like one of those "oh, don't you wish you could do this? Oh well, it's not here. Maybe try in the third game?" things. Or when ORAS had that "Battle Frontier under construction!" thing. Just a tease of a feature that has no intention on getting implemented.

tookhster

Trailer was amazing.

But whoever gave the green light for the name "Decidueye" needs to get fired ASAP. Already in the top 5 worst Pokemon names for me.

Toxi

Banned
If you played Blue his default name was Red. They had opportunities to fix it in GSC where canon names where introduce the first time and Fire Red and Leaf Green, which they didn't change to Water Blue. He's the gym leader of a city whose name means green and he's wearing green here.
And in Green his default name was Red. So?

They didn't "fix it" because it's a non-issue and he's been Blue for years. That one of your arguments is he's the substitute gym leader of a city named Viridian shows how much of a non-issue it is. It's like arguing that he should be called Blue because in Origins his starter is a blue Water type in contrast to Red's reddish Fire type.
Green's western name's seriously annoying me too nowadays. I don't care if he's been known as Blue in the west, Leaf Green happened and most people call him Gary anyway, when he's primarily wearing green while Red's wearing red the name really makes no sense. They're such generic names anyway, no need to stick with Blue because of reasons that don't hold water any longer

I know they aren't as "iconic" but Ethan wasn't known as Ethan until the remakes and Kris got completely scrapped for Lyra anyway
Unlike Ethan/Kris/Lyra, Blue actually shows up as a distinct character outside his generation. The reason we call him Blue is because that's what GSC/HGSS/B2W2 do.

And if the international audience knows him as Gary, then the Japanese audience knows him as Shigeru.

MiTYH

Torn between which starter to get. I'm usually all fire starter, but Archowl looks too good. If he gets any flying attacks, even not STAB, I may switch my choices.

Teams looking like:
Decidueye
Mudsdale
Alolan Sandslash
Salandit
Tucan Pikipek
Lycanroc

OR

Incineroar
Tsarenna/Lurantis (assuming one is game specific, if not, Tsarenna)
Mudsdale
Kommo-o
Alolan Sandslash
Lycanroc or the Tucan

Really, there are too many good ones to choose. I like Alolan Marowak, but type doubles up too much. Sandalit looks amazing, as does Turtonator (see? I like fire types) but... dang. This is really tough!

Torn between which starter to get. I'm usually all fire starter, but Archowl looks too good. If he gets any flying attacks, even not STAB, I may switch my choices.

Teams looking like:
Decidueye
Mudsdale
Alolan Sandslash
Salandit
Tucan Pikipek
Lycanroc

OR

Incineroar
Tsarenna/Lurantis (assuming one is game specific, if not, Tsarenna)
Mudsdale
Kommo-o
Alolan Sandslash
Lycanroc or the Tucan

Really, there are too many good ones to choose. I like Alolan Marowak, but type doubles up too much. Sandalit looks amazing, as does Turtonator (see? I like fire types) but... dang. This is really tough!
I mean, Decidueye will obviously get some flying attacks given its preevos are part flying type, though whether it'll get something like brave bird is up in the air (Though I'd say it's quite likely)

FUUUUUCK
This is a solid batch of starters.
To the point that I really want both the Owl and Tiger, I may be using two starter pokemon in one team for the first time ever.

Astral

Fire/Dark? Litten redeemed. I don't understand Primarina's attack. If it did damage when it healed the burn wouldn't the description say so?

darklin0

Banned
Yo I had FAITH of Fire/Dark since Day 1. I see alot of posers switching sides after the type reveal! ��

When the leaks came out, all I could see was this guy.
250px-500Emboar.png

The colors were the same and they became bipedal. I lost all hope.

But now with the official Fire/Dark reveal, man am I shook.

Neoxon

Didn't realize Inceniroar is the "Heel Pokémon". Looove it.
Just as we speculated.

Also, isn't Dark weak to Fighting? It would make sense in this case since the hero wrestler is supposed to triumph over the heel wrestler's dirty tactics.

Top Bottom