• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of Doom [pissfilter is gone]

Fuckin' great! The new screenshots look like an improvement(much like modern take on the original's). I don't understand how anybody could've thought the piss filter was good. That's one of the travesties of the 00s, the overuse of horrible filters(in games and movies). Now we're finally getting out of that shit mentality and people are seeing that maybe color isn't such a bad thing(especially HD color).

Doom-new-screenshots-8.jpg

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :D

Cacodemons are fantastic in this game!
And I love Lost Souls design too. they have nicely evolved and look wilder and more satanic than ever!

AOcGT8.jpg

Is this game being built from the ground up for console or PC? I really enjoyed RAGE on 360 and was thinking of getting Doom for PS4 but I'm wondering if the experience, especially multiplayer, will be miles better on PC.

zma1013

OK cool, I didn't know if Doom had any kind of story or anything that I'd need to catch up on.

I assume these screens are on like high-end PCs and it'll look noticeably worse on consoles? (I'm primarily a console gamer, I have a Mac but I've got Windows installed on it for some Steam games) *stares at unopened PS4* what are you capable of o:

Doom stories largely boil down to scientists open portal to hell, demons come out, you shoot demons until dead. Nothing you probably haven't seen before.

GOOCHY

This is a day 1 for me - I even loved Doom 3 and its expansion which got kind of tepid reviews at the time. The recent Doom multiplayer alpha already had the bones of a good multiplayer shooter.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Are Game Informer scans now allowed? I'm just asking for future reference.

DMTripper

Played all the 3 Doom games and I honestly can't wait for this! One of my most anticipated titles for the year.

Just Hooe it's as dark as it looks. I want it to be super dark and hostile. MP hopefully will be cool also.

Spaghetti

i can see where the doom 3 comparisons are coming from, because there's a very identifiable plasticy look to everything.

Mikey Jr.

So will this be less horror themed?

I never played doom 3 because of all this shit popping out at you. If it's like what they showed at the conference, then I'm in.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Whoa wait these screen shots are real?

I guess this is what happens when you play game mainly on Nintendo consoles, I had no idea graphics had progressed this far. Holy fucking shit this looks absolutely insane to me.

Is that DoF in-game too? I love it, it looks incredible.

Is this just for PCs or will there be console ports? God I gotta set up my PS4 already. Wow I am hyped as shit out of nowhere for this. I've never even played a Doom game before (will that be a problem?)
If you think these are good visuals then don't play The Order: 1886 or Driveclub, your head will explode :p

But yeah, this is looking really good. More and more interested as time goes on

Newboi

The game looks great. I mainly hope they massively improve the shotgun from the initial reveal. I'd definitely like it to have a utility and strength compared to that if the original Doom games. I want to snipe demons with a shotgun lol.

dmr87

Are Game Informer scans now allowed? I'm just asking for future reference.

Kagari already removed these from the GameInformer cover thread yesterday, question is if these are officially released or not. Signs pointing to no so far, according to a previous post.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kagari already removed these from the GameInformer cover thread yesterday, question is if these are officially released or not. Signs pointing to no so far, according to a previous post.

Those are clearly from the digital GI magazine, just look at the top right corner.

Also they never release the screenshots just days after the new magazine is out...

Metal-Geo

Those enemy models look like of low-poly. Which is good, cause that means we're going to get lots of 'em on screen, right?

It's funny how you can definitely still see some glimpses of id Tech 4 and id Tech 5 in those screens. Perhaps I've played too much Doom 3 and Wolfensten: TNO in my life...

I'd also like to point out, like some other gaffer mentioned, that these screens are clearly ripped from somewhere. The 'close lightbox' button is indeed clearly visible in the upper right corner.

Edit: Seems more people caught it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sharp and simple with some of the assets giving me good ol sko doom vibes can't ask for more based on what we already know.

EVIL

Never got the pissfilter remark. Nothing changed, the first is outside with the yellow sky lighting the scene, the second is in a cave, without any yellow sky lighting the scene. doesn't prove shit.

and the indoor shots of the early screenshots all where taken from the level with the massive lava lake underneath, which casted yellow light.

looks good, and theyve shown in the demos its not as slow as it first looked, probably as fast as brutal doom, Im still worried about the weird map system theyre putting in though, I want to be able to put on soundtrack and map mods, not just use some in game service to pick bethesda approved snap together lego mods.

Doom stories largely boil down to scientists open portal to hell, demons come out, you shoot demons until dead. Nothing you probably haven't seen before.
Ahh ok cool. So it's more focused on just blowing the shit out of everything and the story isn't the focus then, I'm down with that.

They do try to create a scary atmosphere and attempt jump scares a lot.
But not so with this! I'm terrible with scary games! I got to the first checkpoint in Silent Hill: Homecoming and turned it off and never played it again because the atmosphere and tension was way too much for me. I'm not completely new to Doom, I've seen the movie (barely remember it though) and --oh shit wait I think I've been confusing this with Duke Nukem. Shit. I thought Doom was tongue in cheek.

If you think these are good visuals then don't play The Order: 1886 or Driveclub, your head will explode :p

Oh shit I have 1886 in my PSN download queue from one of the flash sales last year when it was $10. The concept sounded cool so I did a blind buy. Wow wow I'm hyped as hell now.

People saying these graphics look like Doom 3 is bewildering to me. What? Those screens posted in this thread look like going from VHS to BluRay to me, the jump in geometry/textures/lighting/polycount is like melting my brain. I guess if you're mainly a PC gamer over the years of incremental upgrades it might bleed together but for someone who's still playing games on his PS3 and Wii U these graphics are like CG movie quality in my eyes.

gogogow

Nice to see they took that complaint to heart.

It looks...okay, I would say. I can't really remember the last time an FPS impressed me graphically, either.

What you think of KZ:SF?

I couldn't even finish the second level, game is probably not for me.....but thought the graphics were quite nice.

Nokterian

Still not feeling it with every bit of info coming out it is setting me back to steam sale buy. Because i never leveled up in doom nor having perks or panic buttons huge step backwards of what made doom..well doom.

nkarafo

This looks rather bland. It hardly looks any better than Doom 3. It looks worse than something like Dead Space 2. And it looks at least a generation older than something like Alien Isolation. Which was a cross gen title : /

Top Bottom