• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of Doom [pissfilter is gone]

Rembrandt

Banned
doom3-1920x1080.jpg

Doom-new-screenshots-2.jpg

Yeah... lost levels... from the future.

eh. with how long it's been between the new one and doom 3, i was expecting a bigger leap. looks good but doom 3 blew minds graphically, this looks okay.

zma1013

People saying these graphics look like Doom 3 is bewildering to me. What? Those screens posted in this thread look like going from VHS to BluRay to me, the jump in geometry/textures/lighting/polycount is like melting my brain. I guess if you're mainly a PC gamer over the years of incremental upgrades it might bleed together but for someone who's still playing games on his PS3 and Wii U these graphics are like CG movie quality in my eyes.

It's more of a combination of the similar art style the 2 games share, that Doom 3 still looks good even for its age, and that Doom 3 was a large standout graphically that people couldn't believe when it came out and this Doom is more along the lines of a good looking game but not out of the scope of other comparable games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BFG and Chainsaw will not be weapons you can use like in Doom 1 and 2 so they will be panic buttons in this new doom...you know 2 core weapons not being core weapons is such a lackluster.

I interpreted the info to mean that they just have special, more rare ammo packs and are bound to shortcuts so you can quickly access them in rough situations. Why wouldn't the more powerful weapons have less common ammo? I don't remember either being particularly plentiful in the old games.

This looks rather bland. It hardly looks any better than Doom 3. It looks worse than something like Dead Space 2. And it looks at least a generation older than something like Alien Isolation. Which was a cross gen title : /

eh. with how long it's been between the new one and doom 3, i was expecting a bigger leap. looks good but doom 3 blew minds graphically, this looks okay.
It's a 60fps game with large enemy counts.

This is a looker. The MP looked...whack, but the SP and visuals warrant to stay on my radar.

I am glad that yellow is gone. The game looks WAY better without it.

Sesha

Thank the Doom marine that it's gone. It looks infinitely better. I wonder why they thought the filter was a good idea. The all-grey/brown/yellow/green era is gone. People want color and contrast in their games, not just filters and saturation.

Glad they removed the filter.

Now the only thing that is left are the uninspired sci-fi environments and weapons.

It's id, they can't help it.

Finally someone understands that these piss filters and post processing effects do not belong in video games.

And finally a good 3D Cacodemon model.

img-4.jpg

BiggNife

I don't really think stills do a game like Doom justice - what matters is that it runs silky smooth at 60fps with tons of shit going on, which seems to be the case from what I've seen/heard.

Looking forward to it.

Kadin

Looking great and this is a must buy for me no matter what filter they use. Yup, I'll gladly admit that I'll buy just about anything with the word 'Doom' attached to it. And that includes some pretty mediocre mobile games.

inm8num2

Looks much better.

I'll never understand the modern trend of color filters and bloom, which diminish the contrast between different things on screen.

BiggNife

You have to keep in mind that Doom 3 is also a very different game from this Doom - much slower paced with only a couple enemies on screen at a time in narrow corridors. Whereas this game has a lot of enemies in much wider enviroments at a stable 60fps. They probably had to sacrifice some detail to get the game to run smoothly, which is honestly fine by me.

Are people serious? I am seriously shocked by the many positive reactions here. If anything i see a downgrade here. The old pics have much better looking environments, detail, materials, effects and more crisp. In what ways are the new pics an improvement? I sure don't see it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I wish there was a way to rent a console for a week or two. I really want to play this but don't want to drop the $300 to do so.

It's more of a combination of the similar art style the 2 games share, that Doom 3 still looks good even for its age, and that Doom 3 was a large standout graphically that people couldn't believe when it came out and this Doom is more along the lines of a good looking game but not out of the scope of other comparable games.

I can see that. Like I said I'm not used to this kind of graphical fidelity in games since I'm still playing with last-gen hardware, and I've also never played a Doom game before, but looking at the screen shot of that zombie guy from Doom 3 next to those runner things is, to me, like comparing an N64 game to a PS3 game. And that picture someone posted of the evolution of the floaty burning skull monster, the newest one to me looks just insanely better than any of the others. But I mean if this is what current-gen games typically look like then I can see how others are not as impressed as I am. I wonder what my dad would think, I'm pretty sure the last console he bought was a Wii.

low-G

Are people serious? I am seriously shocked by the many positive reactions here. If anything i see a downgrade here. The old pics have much better looking environments, detail, materials, effects and more crisp. In what ways are the new pics an improvement? I sure don't see it.

Textures and resolution seem to have taken a hit. Maybe only the console versions? Who knows. However, the style/color difference makes it look worlds better to me personally.

Maybe it wouldn't matter as much to someone with color blindness?

What the hell, is this a joke post?

In what world is the bad guy on the bottom a downgrade over the one in the top right. Poly count, geometry, textures, lighting, particle effects are all massive improvements. Are you kidding me? Doom 3 looks like an old video game, the new one looks like a movie. WTF.

Edit: And after posting that and seeing my post with the picture shrunk down a little and quoted, the one of the bottom even looks like a real physical prop with some special effects on top of it while the one in the top right just looks like a regular video game bad guy.

Wow I'm glad I'm behind the times on video game graphics if it means losing any sense of wonder and spectacle and thinking the current offering looks WORSE than the old one.

VS

You SERIOUSLY think the screen shot from Doom 3 looks better?

Run-M-Run

Looks awesome, but I liked Doom 3's still cartoony way of dealing with the enemies, this, this is just unsettling. Also I hope to god you can change the fov.

This looks rather bland. It hardly looks any better than Doom 3. It looks worse than something like Dead Space 2. And it looks at least a generation older than something like Alien Isolation. Which was a cross gen title : /

I think you need to take off those goggles.

What the hell, is this a joke post?

In what world is the bad guy on the bottom a downgrade over the one in the top right. Poly count, geometry, textures, lighting, particle effects are all massive improvements. Are you kidding me? Doom 3 looks like an old video game, the new one looks like a movie. WTF.

Edit: And after posting that and seeing my post with the picture shrunk down a little and quoted, the one of the bottom even looks like a real physical prop with some special effects on top of it while the one in the top right just looks like a regular video game bad guy.

Wow I'm glad I'm behind the times on video game graphics if it means losing any sense of wonder and spectacle and thinking the current offering looks WORSE than the old one.

VS

You SERIOUSLY think the screen shot from Doom 3 looks better?

I think s/he means the original trailer

Its a legit trade off tho

Doom3 was amazing visually but also sacrificed the gameplay that folks fell in love with

I think Doom2016 looks excellent and IS bringing back that gameplay

nynt9

Yeah I agree. They may have taken away the filter but some of those shots desperately lack atmosphere. The bottom pic looks miles better than some of those clean and honestly sorta sterile looking shots of the interior in the OP.

The main area where I thought the filter looked ugly was in the outside "hell" area, so I think taking it away is an improvement there. If they're all actually just different areas though, then cool, we get some variety.

People should device on what they want as a collective. 2 days ago in the other thread it was being pointed out that old Doom was quite bright, these screens are bright. I know it's not the same people, but still.

Run-M-Run

Doom3 was amazing visually but also sacrificed the gameplay that folks fell in love with

I don't think it's a good trade-off. I mean yeah the gameplay SHOULD be great too, but Doom was always graphical showcase.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member

I wholeheartedly agree. Not to mention around 2004 graphics were going through a pretty big change, and some solid improvements overall. Where we are now, games and engines have looked gorgeous, but I've yet to see anything that completely stands out and wows me. Personally I think it looks great, but I have a feeling it's one of those games that will look even better in motion. I'm really excited about the gameplay.

Is it just me or do the Cacodemons look a little too small?

I've always loved the Cacodemon design from the original doom. I think it's my favorite monster in the game, and it's mostly because it's so huge compared to imps and demons. Its roundness and size really conveys the fact that they'll just absorb tons of bullets before going down. I'm not sure I get that vibe from the new design.

Top Bottom