• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots of Doom [pissfilter is gone]

Mupod

Looks okay I guess. Like that they doubled back on the Cacodemon colours. Could barely read the GI article because it felt like I was reading a slimy advertisement.

Just can't shake my bad feeling about the game. I've enjoyed plenty a mediocre linear FPS in my day so I'm sure I'll have fun playing it, but they keep talking about how this is REALLY DOOM FOR REAL and repeatedly show examples of how they're missing the point.

does this game take place on a space ship again? why? hell is a much more interesting environment

Which Doom games were on spaceships? And there's literally screenshots of Hell in the OP.

EmSeta

So glad they got rid of the horrible color filter. Now let's keep our fingers crossed for the rest of the game.

Mr. Tibbs

Looks okay I guess. Like that they doubled back on the Cacodemon colours. Could barely read the GI article because it felt like I was reading a slimy advertisement.

Just can't shake my bad feeling about the game. I've enjoyed plenty a mediocre linear FPS in my day so I'm sure I'll have fun playing it, but they keep talking about how this is REALLY DOOM FOR REAL and repeatedly show examples of how they're missing the point.
GI cover stories are always advertorials.

To me, the character design just reinforces that this game has a lot of extremely skilled artwork by people that don't appear to be artists. There is no environmental cohesion whatsoever. It's like painted miniatures or something. The muscle and blood looks like clean, shiny plastic. It doesn't work at all with their rendering style.

DieH@rd

Banned
New screen from Gameinformer's coverage, another update on Jan. 11:

baronofhell.jpg

Can someone rehost it? GI is IP blocking my country.

edit - never mind, got it

george_us

People are disappointed with the graphics? I think the game looks incredible personally. Can't wait to get my hands on it. id is pretty remarkable at core FPS mechanics and the demo sold me.

does this game take place on a space ship again? why? hell is a much more interesting environment

As far as I'm aware, none of the Doom games take place on a space ship. Doom 1 and 3 (3 is a retelling of 1, and so is 4 apparently) starts in a colony on one of Mars' moons, and ends up in Hell.

evilr

Banned
Looks insanely sick! Seriously cannot wait! April release date please.

Extremely happy with the cacodemons, they really couldn't have been any better. Truly core to their origin.

Mike Golf

That Baron shot withstanding this is looking even better. I wasn't on the piss filter hate train as after playing the Alpha it seemed like it was just the lighting thanks to the stage itself, but those nice and clean shots look fantastic. Loved the gameplay in the alpha and can't wait to play the beta which I hope is SP rather than MP.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Doesn't look amazing or anything but id isn't really at the forefront of anything anymore. Hope to be pleasantly surprised by the level design at least.

Jombie

I'd MUCH rather this game look cartooney and colorful as opposed to washed out, 'dark and gritty.' There's plenty enough of that shit out there, it's become a tired cliche.

Thanks for posting comparison pictures! It looks so much better when they don't fade the colors with that gassy yellow. I've been loving the GameInformer updates this week, as well. Not too sure how to feel about the upgrade tree, but other than that, the game is sounding great.

I'd MUCH rather this game look cartooney and colorful as opposed to washed out, 'dark and gritty.' There's plenty enough of that shit out there, it's become a tired cliche.

Yeah, and the first two Doom games were always very colorful in both their levels and enemy design. It's part of the reason why we fondly remember the games so well today, and can easily recall the looks of most of these creatures even if it's been years since we last saw them.

Tainted

The first thing I'll be turning off is that depth of field effect, as I always do in games. Looks like it is over the top in this one

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
That Baron shot withstanding this is looking even better. I wasn't on the piss filter hate train as after playing the Alpha it seemed like it was just the lighting thanks to the stage itself, but those nice and clean shots look fantastic. Loved the gameplay in the alpha and can't wait to play the beta which I hope is SP rather than MP.

There is no such thing as singleplayer betas for the public. Those are done in house.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Omg I would be so hyped if Trent did the soundtrack, holy shit god-tier.

Also, looks fucking amazing. Can't wait for this to come out.

Haha, I wish Trent would. It definitely sounds like Mick is really going for an Industrial + Metal sound. The influence is all over the place, from what sounds like NIN to a little Meshuggah to me. You can find all kinds of clips on his Vine. He of course hasn't stated that they're DOOM, but it definitely sounds about right. :)

Bullshots
Final game will probably have piss filter or just overall look worse than these latest shots

I doubt it. Especially with a lot of the comments they received regarding the lack of color and that bizarre piss filter look. Unless all of that was simply because they weren't "done" yet. I doubt it will look worse at all because while these shots look awesome, engine-wise they don't look like anything absolutely jaw dropping.

daedalius

Haha, I wish Trent would. It definitely sounds like Mick is really going for an Industrial + Metal sound. The influence is all over the place, from what sounds like NIN to a little Meshuggah to me. You can find all kinds of clips on his Vine. He of course hasn't stated that they're DOOM, but it definitely sounds about right. :)

Really? that sounds awesome.

Link?

Top Bottom