• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New XCOM 2 previews/hands-ons

you know, with all this talk about how the xcom oragnization is now a low tier rebel force, i really hope thats only the beginning of the narrative. hopefully you don't feel stuck in that role, and as you complete missions the organization grows into something formidable. So instead of just disrupting the aliens' plans you actually become the opposing military force against them. And hopefully it reflects in gameplay with you getting actual armor(not just the cloth armor we've seen thus far) and higher tier weapons. Would like to see psi powers make a return as well since that was the end game of the last game.

PSI powers have already been confirmed.

Yep - but they can also become a part of other peoples games as well. That is part of what I don't quite understand since I haven't looked through all the coverage. I imagine you can choose between a private pool and public pool and the public one can bring in other users creations
Definitely sticking away from the public pool lol, don't feel like having pink haired afro dudes on my squad.

I'm replaying XCOM totally vanilla on Impossible. It feels very barebones after LW, and I completely forgot there were no Overwatch indicators. Whoops.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm replaying XCOM totally vanilla on Impossible. It feels very barebones after LW, and I completely forgot there were no Overwatch indicators. Whoops.

Heh, my Continental Fellow playthroughs are the exact opposite. Goal is to finish in the least real-world time as possible - Easy, vanilla/non-EW.

Alien Base in the middle of Month 2 (no Mutons lol), Hyperwave begins construction right after, finish on Month 3.

Every combat scenario is a bum-rush saving at the beginning of the turn (hey, it's faster to open the menu to set a checkpoint for a scummy reload than to edge soldiers closer one at a time)

Also Covert Ops? Screw that shit. Countries can leave for all I care. It's Easy, I'm rolling in money anyway.

you know, with all this talk about how the xcom oragnization is now a low tier rebel force, i really hope thats only the beginning of the narrative. hopefully you don't feel stuck in that role, and as you complete missions the organization grows into something formidable. So instead of just disrupting the aliens' plans you actually become the opposing military force against them. And hopefully it reflects in gameplay with you getting actual armor(not just the cloth armor we've seen thus far) and higher tier weapons. Would like to see psi powers make a return as well since that was the end game of the last game.
I dunno if you'd be able to go full military force, given that XCOM's industrial capacity is probably limited to whatever's on the Avenger (since ADVENT can call in UFOs to blow up any industrial facilities you'd have on the ground), but I bet you'd be able to make a decent sized army.

Do you think at some point in 2011, an XCOM designer was like "Hmmm, these Thin Men are pretty OP, maybe we shouldn't give them an extra aim bonus on Impossible and allow them to drop at random locations in Overwatch?"

And then was like, "LOL, no, it'll be funny."

Sblargh

Banned
Yep - but they can also become a part of other peoples games as well. That is part of what I don't quite understand since I haven't looked through all the coverage. I imagine you can choose between a private pool and public pool and the public one can bring in other users creations

I don't think it's a public pool, but an import system of individual characters; probably based on steam workshop.

So users will be able to create their own packs of "serious soldiers" for example.

Baalzebup

BRB, doing Gangplank like three days after the train station mission with three rookies, a Support Corporal and a Sniper Sergeant.

Lol, that is the best part about those missions. You have to prepared for the back-to-back missions or you end up running the latter one with some weird ass composition and have to improvise so much shit on the fly.

Sblargh

Banned
Trying to budget my time properly for all the epitaphs I will write for fallen soldiers.

"Sgt. John 'Killstreak' Kelly - 12 missions; 19 kills. Oops, I'm sorry I made you run through that overwatch. I honestly thought the alien would miss that shot"

"Rk. Elena Cardoso - 1 mission; 0 kills. Next time you flank someone and has a 92% chance of hitting him, you hit him."

I dunno if you'd be able to go full military force, given that XCOM's industrial capacity is probably limited to whatever's on the Avenger (since ADVENT can call in UFOs to blow up any industrial facilities you'd have on the ground), but I bet you'd be able to make a decent sized army.

yeah but what stopping x-com from making another underground facility...or re-using the old one?

carlsojo

Sounds like a problem with the prerequisite packages that should run before launching the game for the first time. I'd try looking in the game's VCRedist folder and running some executables. Might also help to run the DXSetup file in the game's DirectX folder.

Btw this fixed it. Thanks to all who helped!

yeah but what stopping x-com from making another underground facility...or re-using the old one?
Old one probably got blown up and given the state of the shanties, the non-XCOM resistance cells probably don't have much access to building materials or machinery.

Here's the VOD for Beagle's last session, in which he shows why he modded the game in the first place
he doesn't even get hit in the entire session, it looks like all the matches ended with a flawless rating.

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/v/34344796

I'm wondering/hoping if the preview build was intentionally nerfed so as not to ruin the prerelease footage/coverage that's getting put out there. 2K could be thinking that, aside from the masochistic core group here, not too much of the potential market is going to be sold by watching frustrating party wipes.

As much as I'm sure modding will solve any shortfalls in the vanilla game, it would be disappointing if even the highest difficulty turns out to be a cakewalk.

Sblargh

Banned

Aliens apparently are pretty good at tracking them, which is why they have to stay on the move and the avenger apparently took all of Shen's life to get it up and running so they can't just replace it.

Stoze

I'm wondering/hoping if the preview build was intentionally nerfed so as not to ruin the prerelease footage/coverage that's getting put out there. 2K could be thinking that, aside from the masochistic core group here, not too much of the potential market is going to be sold by watching frustrating party wipes.

As much as I'm sure modding will solve any shortfalls in the vanilla game, it would be disappointing if even the highest difficulty turns out to be a cakewalk.

While I don't think it'll be a cakewalk, from the footage I've seen it does look significantly easier than what has been claimed in some articles, like having to send soldiers out to die, or being as hard as Impossible. I think new mechanics like concealment and being able to see where you have LoS on enemies are gamechangers, and on top of that you have improvements like better height advantage, seemingly more powerful abilities and classes, destructable roofs/ceilings, etc. My point is, all that heavily outweighs against just having stronger aliens in terms of difficulty balance.

BUT the game isn't out yet and only the first few months are available to play, and I'm only speculating based off watching gameplay. Also people like Beagle have thousands of hours in the series, so it can be hard to judge by his stuff. I doubt the preview build has toned down the difficulty for 'Legend', it's possible though.

Adnor

Banned
Beagle just modded a stupid amount of soldiers.

zUDEqyx.jpg

It works and the sequential overwatch is beatiful.

(Sorry for the horrible quality but Twitch works like shit)

Sblargh

Banned
While I don't think the difficulty of the preview build was nerfed per se, it is possible that the type of enemies you encounter is limited compared to the first three months of the final build.

While I don't think the difficulty of the preview build was nerfed per se, it is possible that the type of enemies you encounter is limited compared to the first three months of the final build.

I think it depends a little on how you handle the strategic layer. TotalBiscuit mentioned that for a while he was running into a new enemy type every mission or so.

Falk

that puzzling face
Maybe that's the exact reason they're okay with people going nuts with the game a month before release.

Last minute balance pass.

Sblargh

Banned
Did he lost a lot of performance with 48 soldiers?

Create a big enough map, crank up the aliens on a pod to around 50-ish too and you have a turn-based total war mod.

FiraB

Banned
Did he lost a lot of performance with 48 soldiers?

Create a big enough map, crank up the aliens on a pod to around 50-ish too and you have a turn-based total war mod.
No that was the crazy thing it just took a extra 20 seconds or so to load the mission and then ingame it didn't skip a beat, modding this thing is gonna be fun.

red731

That time of the year came pretty early - I can't play anything else since all I'm thinking about is XCOM2.

The hype is too real.

Sblargh

Banned
So, that thing where everyone on overwatch will fire at the same first enemy even though the first person to shoot killed him already is over then?

Are we talking about smart overwatch here?

Too OP.

I'm excited for not only the game but watching the really skilled players playing it.

I remember watching tornis on twitch playing EU, EW and Long War on impossible ironman and succeeding.

So, that thing where everyone on overwatch will fire at the same first enemy even though the first person to shoot killed him already is over then?

Are we talking about smart overwatch here?

Too OP.

Catching up on this thread, but overwatch in general is not nearly as strong in XCOM 2 when most missions have timers associated with them. You have to gain ground most of the time and OW is more of an ambush technique (OW shots out of ambush have no penalty) or way to restrict enemy movements in combat than something you rely on for killing aliens without reprisal.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Catching up on this thread, but overwatch in general is not nearly as strong in XCOM 2 when most missions have timers associated with them. You have to gain ground most of the time and OW is more of an ambush technique (OW shots out of ambush have no penalty) or way to restrict enemy movements in combat than something you rely on for killing aliens without reprisal.

FUCK. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK. I got super hyped watching that customization featurette yesterday and you had to go and shut it all down. Fucking timers? Goddamn it. I hate timed, fail state missions. And most of the game has them? Welp. Sucks to be me. Will wait for mods to get rid of that horseshit. Sorry if I want to play the game at my own pace and not have to be stressed out by a ticking down timer pushing every single level. I am so super annoyed right now.

EDIT: Oh, so I'm not alone here and this has been covered. Still, this is like somebody offering me shiny new car and then handing me a Prius that will stop driving after 23 minutes of continuous operation.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I know port-begging is punishable by death here... but goddamned I just have to say aloud that this one stings. I'm only occasionally jealous of PC. This here though is straight, uncut envy.

Top Bottom