• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm so confused

TwbFojh.jpg
tumblr_mw590mV4yB1rmin5no1_400.gif

Red_Man

Some NHL team just hired Tyler Dellow
Please lord let there be a Simmons meltdown of some kind
Just saw this, good for him, he was one of the better bloggers out there regarding advanced stats. It won't stop people hating though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sure the Bruins are a legitimately awful team of awful human beings, but I'm really shocked the Canucks and/or Leafs didn't get more action in Canada in that poll. Granted, it is a r/hockey poll, which means that at most 40ish guys were responsible for a couple of hundred votes but still.

I think if it was a 'pick a Canadian team you hate' in Canada, it'd be the Leafs easily; though I wonder about no. 2...

But picking an American team in Canada? Easily the Broons.

zroid

Banned
The Leafs are kind of like ants. Sure, everyone hates them, but at the end of the day, they're just fuckin' ants. You can't hate them that much.

Just saw this, good for him, he was one of the better bloggers out there regarding advanced stats. It won't stop people hating though.

I never really thought his stuff was that informative or interesting. Mostly fiddling with Corsi and Fenwick. Does he have a background in math or statistics?

Still, good on him for turning a hobby project into a new NHL career.

Red_Man

I never really thought his stuff was that informative or interesting. Mostly fiddling with Corsi and Fenwick. Does he have a background in math or statistics?

No idea about his background, but like Samyy mentioned, he wrote a lot of interesting articles analyzing zone entries, exiting the zone, cycling, etc. A lot of system analysis.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
A lot of the stats he was forced to use are crap, unfortunately.

Hopefully i can get my suite of stats online by end of season.. at least for GAF to play with. (the stats require a lot of checks to ensure everything is right)

Hockey desperately needs better metrics, way better QoC/QoT, better player by player analysis (especially goalies), better defensive zone analysis and farrrr better PP/PK analysis.

Also needs more corrective things done... like aligning ice time and offensive zone possession, ensuring a scoring play that occurs say 2-3 seconds after a line change are given to the people sitting on the bench... giving more context to +/-.

I am basically adding more stats than currently exists in hockey

Revenant

I love this wave of advanced analytics for sports...It's good for business.

and if it means we can talk less about toughness and good locker room guys all the better.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dopey should start writing movie reviews while he's at it.

Nah, I've learned that people with poor taste will continue to have poor taste, regardless if offered an enlightened opinion.

and if it means we can talk less about toughness and good locker room guys all the better.

I was originally going to implement ways to measure the effect of toughness in a game, but decided against it for time and just in case i accidentally make the david clarkson contract look good.

Primarily hits compared to offensive/defensive output etc

But then i remembered hits is wildly different between arenas and I'd have to re-do hits/nudges stats which is hard for a singular camera view

Samyy

Yea as Red said the dude poured over tons and tons of video and used advanced stats to show how the deficiencies in the Oiler's systems, player usage, types of players they had etc.

He brokedown pretty much everything and wrote multiple articles essentially providing a comprehensive indictment about everything the Oilers do with their team.

If his stuff wasn't pulled from the Internet forever I would have linked some really crazy in-depth stuff he was doing about how the Oilers were behaving post-faceoff win/loss, cylce, zone entries etc.

Giggzy

I think my 3.5 year relationship with m'lady is coming to a close. Although it has been evident this would be happening for awhile, it still hurts bro's.

The thought of doing the dating dance again is daunting.

I think my 3.5 year relationship with m'lady is coming to a close. Although it has been evident this would be happening for awhile, it still hurts bro's.

Be sure to pick up Heretic's new paperback, "Why Can't We be Friends." It will help you during this time.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

sorry dude. just dig into the tinder convo's, nhl gaf got you covered.

ShaneB

My favourite stat story is easily fantasy baseball origins creating the WHIP stat that eventually got used in the real league.

Acid08

Banned

That sucks man, hope you'll be okay soon! Build some Gundam models, bro. It's cathartic.

Solo

Tinder is amazing, Solo can attest.

For sex it's the best. I've gotten laid 8-10 times this year by girls I'd never have met otherwise from it alone. I've gone as low as 20 on Tinder, a solid decade below my age haha. I regret nothing. They are freaks, will do anything, and gravity, age and childbirth have not yet ravaged their bodies.

Just don't try to find someone to date through it though. Lots of crazies.

I'm currently off it though as I'm trying to pursue a relationship with a non-Tinder chick.

I can doubly attest. Gonna to meet up with a 19 year old this week. See how she compares to the 32 year old.

You know when I was younger I thought that would be creepy. Now I'm 31 and I don't mind getting the young stuff again.

For sex it's the best. I've gotten laid 8-10 times this year by girls I'd never have met otherwise from it alone. I've gone as low as 20 on Tinder, a solid decade below my age haha. I regret nothing. They are freaks, will do anything, and gravity, age and childbirth have not yet ravaged their bodies.

Just don't try to find someone to date through it though. Lots of crazies.

I'm currently off it though as I'm trying to pursue a relationship with a non-Tinder chick.

They just want to have fun. I'm okay providing that

Sorry to hear. Take the break to enjoy single life.

You can also work on your Mario Kart 8 skills. Please understand.

iLLmAtlc

Any of these games you guys would recommend me to play?

Diablo 3
Tomb Raider
KH 1.5
FFX HD
ZOE HD
Beyond two souls
RE6
Braid
Guacamelee

I'm playing god of war ascension right now but finding it hard to get into.

Top Bottom