• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The Toronto Maple Leafs, America's team?
:'(
chris4.jpg

Though he's been wearing the Leafs one more recently

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Finally saw the thread title and OP. :lol

Curufinwe

Copying in this great post from HFB that shows how the Toews/Kane/Subban deals are nothing new.

For the 2006-07 season the salary cap was 44 million.

Boston signed Chara to a 5 year, 37.5 million contract. (7.5 per hit)

17% of the cap for a 28/29 year old guy that never won a Norris, and wasn't even viewed as the best defenseman on his team. In todays dollars that is 11.76M per year.

Worked out O.K.

Copying in this great post from HFB that shows how the Toews/Kane/Subban deals are nothing new.

We were in on Chara but McPhee wouldn't match Boston's offer if I recall correctly.

Fuck McPhee

Edit:

Found it.

Caps Sign Senator, Lose Out on Chara

By Tarik El-Bashir
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 2, 2006
The Washington Capitals addressed one of their biggest needs on a busy opening day of free agency yesterday, signing former Ottawa Senators defenseman Brian Pothier to a four-year contract.

The Capitals also made an offer to sign Zdeno Chara, according to NHL sources, but pulled out of the bidding when the price tag for the franchise defenseman exceeded $6.25 million per season. Widely considered the best free agent available, the 6-foot-9 Chara signed a five-year pact with the Boston Bruins that will pay him $7.5 million a year.

Washington also re-signed backup goaltender Brent Johnson.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/01/AR2006070100929.html

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
People who lambast "click bait": When a baker makes cookies smell good, do you get mad about the "eat bait"?
And that's why The Hockey News is a garbage site.

calder

Marvie_3

Banned
lulz

After receiving numerous complaints, the Arizona Attorney General’s office has begun an investigation into an alleged open meeting law violation against Councilmember Gary Sherwood.

The investigation is to determine whether Sherwood violated those laws by meeting with Vice Mayor Yvonne Knaack and the attorney for the Arizona Coyotes, Nick Wood, during the negotiations for keeping the team in Glendale. The allegations also include that Councilmember Samuel Chavira was “already on board as he was with us last night,” a reference made by Sherwood in an e-mail sent to Councilmember Manny Martinez.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/article_573a4f1c-1d91-11e4-a241-001a4bcf887a.html
Shady shit went down? I am shocked.

calder

Oh my god:

Top 10 bounce-back candidates
4. Ondrej Pavelec

After his worst season as a full-time NHL starter, it’s almost impossible to think that Pavelec can’t rebound. However, a lot of fantasy owners have soured on him lately (a 22-26-7 record will do that). But there are some encouraging signs. After Paul Maurice became the new head coach of the Jets on Jan. 12, Pavelec finished the season with an 11-7-3 record, and allowed two or less goals in 12 of those 21 games. Pavelec is still the number one guy in Winnipeg, and there doesn’t seem to be much of a challenge to his throne. I wouldn’t be shocked if he got 35 wins this year.

I laughed till I sobbed.
@mennoknight427
dobber figures Pavs will have rebound season. I assume that rebound will be out of control

lulz

Watching the stream of that CC meeting live with NHLGAF was surreal, at the end I felt like a little kid again watching Empire Strikes Back and not understanding how Darth Vader won and Luke had to run away at the end.

Samyy

lulz

popcorn.gif
I remember that shit-eating grin that one council member had, and slimy as hell "speech" or whatever he gave right before voting yes to keep the coyotes. So fucking obvious shady shit went down.

Also Canadian conservatives are really just as slimy as their US counterparts:

BuYSVNCCUAAFlzu.jpg

Justin Trudeau is the leader of the Liberal party

Marvie_3

Banned
Watching the stream of that CC meeting live with NHLGAF was surreal, at the end I felt like a little kid again watching Empire Strikes Back and not understanding how Darth Vader won and Luke had to run away at the end.
The heel turn by Chavira (the ex-firefighter) when he sold out the police/firefighters in Glendale that night was crazy.

popcorn.gif
I remember that shit-eating grin that one council member had, and slimy as hell "speech" or whatever he gave right before voting yes to keep the coyotes. So fucking obvious shady shit went down.

That was Sherwood. :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
popcorn.gif

Also Canadian conservatives are really just as slimy as their US counterparts:

BuYSVNCCUAAFlzu.jpg

Justin Trudeau is the leader of the Liberal party

Hahahahahahahahaha

The conservatives showing their true colours. These fucks are turning into the republican party... which means liberal majorities everywhere!

Erdrick

Damn, shame Morrissey isn't playing tonight. At least Petan, Comrie and McDavid will fly the flag for current and near-future Jets prospects.

And Team Canada would be smart to bring Comrie this year, he was arguably the best Canadian goalie eligible for the WJC and was left off the team.

But... McDavid isn't a Jets draft pic-

Oh.

I see you share my opinion of how this season is going to go. It'll be a fun spiral down.

I hope I'm wrong but it all depends on our overpaid goalie. And that gives me little hope, given his play since getting his money. Can we just have Hutchinson and Comrie as our goalies already?

I'm a huge fan of Nic Petan, and becoming one of his once and future team-mate Chase De Leo. (I'm not sure if that's the way his name is spelt) I can't wait to see them both in Jets Jerseys.

EA has released a few lists of the top-5 players at each position in NHL 15.

Suter is #3 for defenders at 92 Overall, Parise is #3 for left wings at 90 overall.

wic.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
EA has released a few lists of the top-5 players at each position in NHL 15.

Suter is #3 for defenders at 92 Overall, Parise is #3 for left wings at 90 overall.

wic.gif
Pretty good evidence that the EA guys have no idea what they're doing.

Top Bottom