• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition for EU/NA [failure level well beyond critical mass]

Contemplating just saying fuck it and buying one of eBay. Not sure if these prices will come back down once a week or two goes by. Anyone ever been in this situation before?

Unless there's a reprint of it, there's a chance that while the prices on ebay might drop after some time after (and if) demand drops, it might not drop a whole lot.

zychi

Banned
Contemplating just saying fuck it and buying one of eBay. Not sure if these prices will come back down once a week or two goes by. Anyone ever been in this situation before?
if there is no reprint, and as of now why would there be after this clusterfuck. the prices for unipened are only going to go up. theres a liating on amazon for 399.99 my buddy is contemplating buying so he can avoid ebay. i decided to keep mine. its a really nice CE and the book is fantastic apparently

chidrock

Thanks for the feedback...nice to know I'm not crazy for considering going through with it.

I know there's a shortage now, but I wonder how limited it really is. I don't know enough about this market to compare it to anything else.

All I know is that they'll probably announce a second printing if I go for it lol.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
While there's a chance, don't throw your money away and help scalpers. German WE + the game in NTSC is less than $200. And you can sell the PAL game that comes with the WE.

nasos_333

Notice some differences between versions:

zuxuBRs.jpg

Hopefully it is the same for the German WE

While there's a chance, don't throw your money away and help scalpers. German WE + the game in NTSC is less than $200. And you can sell the PAL game that comes with the WE.

Is there a reason to sell the EU one ? I mean since are region free

Lucent

does that excuse Namco of any blame? no. hell, they kept on posting pictures on facebook today while being rained by complaints and questions non-stop.

Yeah, but still. Level-5 and Studio Ghibli made this. I'm mad at Namco Bandai for using Digital River, but I wouldn't avoid getting a game I want, especially when it's not the developer's fault.

chidrock

I saw that but to be honest I'm kind of partial to the aesthetics of the NA version and it's disappointing cd. (only two songs?!) The art cards and coin also add to it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Sorry to hear you guys got shafted by Digital River but anyone who ordered from them during the great Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Fiasco at the Capcom Store already knew what to expect.

Was there a problem? I remember getting the S.E. fine with the tshirt, and 10 dollars off to boot. This was the 360 version though.

Somehow my copy in which I ordered on the 17th got cancelled, luckily I ordered another copy of it when I saw that it was in stock again at the link in this thread at around 1am (scared that I would not get it since the first order still did not ship for some reason). Somehow they shipped the copy I ordered last night but cancelled the one I ordered earlier. Is this right? Has most of the orders from the 17th been cancelled and all the ones ordered last night been shipped?

iammeiam

Somehow my copy in which I ordered on the 17th got cancelled, luckily I ordered another copy of it when I saw that it was in stock again at the link in this thread at around 1am (scared that I would not get it since the first order still did not ship for some reason). Somehow they shipped the copy I ordered last night but cancelled the one I ordered earlier. Is this right? Has most of the orders from the 17th been cancelled and all the ones ordered last night been shipped?

The link last night was never meant for public use--it was meant for a group of people who had been informed they'd have a chance to reorder. They were supposed to call Customer Service, who'd send them the link... Until one of them posted it online and it became a free-for-all. Since orders placed with that were supposed to be orders with special priority over late orders, they got bumped ahead of the ones waiting in the normal pool.

Basically Digital River has to be running one of the most poorly put together software packages of all time to allow this to happen, and didn't want to manually review all the orders to make sure they were placed by people who should actually have been able to order a copy.

The link last night was never meant for public use--it was meant for a group of people who had been informed they'd have a chance to reorder. They were supposed to call Customer Service, who'd send them the link... Until one of them posted it online and it became a free-for-all. Since orders placed with that were supposed to be orders with special priority over late orders, they got bumped ahead of the ones waiting in the normal pool.

Basically Digital River has to be running one of the most poorly put together software packages of all time to allow this to happen, and didn't want to manually revering all the orders to make sure they were placed by people who should actually have been able to order a copy.

Whelp, I am glad I was able to see the link posted here last night when I got home then. I almost did not place another order but now I am glad that I did. I am now wondering how I never got this when it was first up for order because I am a huge Ghibli fan, guess I was more into the Steelbook back then.

Over 100 pages now, and no signs of stopping. Namco screwed up big time by putting their name on the line with Digital River. There's articles everywhere showcasing the sideshow they've put on here.

On to top it off, those who did get copies, the majority of these have been slightly damaged by terrible shipping. I hope this puts an end to DR for anything gaming related going forward.

Reclaimer

Out of nowhere, my box showed up tonight.

And it had some numbers and calculations written on the packing box in pen ink. Lol, weird.

Has anyone had the charge disappear from their banking accounts? My order has shipped and is trackable so I'm not worried about cancellation but when I went to check my bank account I noticed the charge was gone, and the money back in my bank.

madhtr

Bamco didn't think it would sell well so they probably didn't ship that many copies.

Apparently they didn't ship enough copies to their own store, since it sold out as well. Sounds like they just didn't prepare for it to sell at all.

Has anyone had the charge disappear from their banking accounts? My order has shipped and is trackable so I'm not worried about cancellation but when I went to check my bank account I noticed the charge was gone, and the money back in my bank.

Yep, mine and your stories sound the same. Shipped, and I got all my money back. I sure wouldn't complain if it stayed that way.

Hope this doesn't affect Europe. I swear to god that if I don't get my Wizard's Edition I am going on rampage.

DR doesn't handle Namco UK stuff, and it's also not exclusive to their store. Less items in it made it less limited, I think.

will buy this used, probably during the summer. gonna go play Grandia, Star Ocean, Gensomaden Saiyuki, and Kartia on my PSP until then. goodbye guys~ *unsubscribing*

MrDenny

That usually happens, the charge will come back.

That usually happens, the charge will come back.

I've encountered it before with itunes once or twice, but It's still a relatively uncommon thing for me to experience. Do you or anyone else know the particulars of why this happens? Just odd to have a charge disappear and the money return.

Danj

So is this game really selling that well, or were shipped numbers really that low?

You guys know they only made 7000 Wizards Editions for the whole USA, right? Not even joking, that's what they said in an official tweet. Europe is getting way more boxes, but with less stuff in them to compensate.

madhtr

You guys know they only made 7000 Wizards Editions for the whole USA, right? Not even joking, that's what they said in an official tweet. Europe is getting way more boxes, but with less stuff in them to compensate.

You know there was a regular edition as well, right? That has also been selling out.

Eusis

Given the draw was the book and not coins and crap I really wish they did the same here. They probably projected fewer people would buy it (or like I'm fearing retailers were refusing), so they focused on a smaller release with more stuff in it. Well, a smaller release focused on how many actually pre-ordered I hope, unless they always intended to do 7000 then suddenly the Play Canada thing looks really bad again.

PokéKong

You know what might have softened the blow a little bit on this? If with that 20 buck "apology" gift to the clubNamco store, one could actually purchase NI NO KUNI, at least a standard edition! I'm so soured on this whole experience, I don't even care anymore, I just want to play that game already. But no, what does Namco's store actually sell? Oh, Digital River is recommending I maybe pre-order the nice special edition of damn Naruto Ninja Storm 3, and promises this time it will go sooooooooo much better. It adds insult to injury more than anything.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, I can always use it on one of those Pac-Man shirts that says "I scored".

Edit: So they thought they could properly gauge interest in the WE by making the original "Ninostarter" pre-order window from July through August for a game coming out in January long before they started ramping up any significant amount of promotional media. In what business model is that a good idea? What would they have had to lose to simply leave the pre-orders open for all this time, and been given a much better projection of how many units they should produce?

Azereki

Boss Key
I bit the bullet at ordered from Amazon.de, the product description lists the book as being in English.

Speech

The speech is in English or Japanese. The subtitles are in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian included.

Wizard's Edition Extra Content

Ni no Kuni: The Curse of the White Queen - Wizard's Edition includes more than 300 pages thick copy of the enchanted book "The Magical Companion" in the English language that uses Oliver during his journey in the game. The Magic companion is equipped with color illustrations and provides an overview of all the creatures in the game, and detailed descriptions of items, spells, and the history of the other world. The strictly limited Wizard's Edition also includes a plush doll of droplets Olivers helpers on his adventure and the exclusive DLC familiar "Golden wretch" and "Golden Broiler". Fans who Ni no Kuni: The Curse of the White Queen preorder at select retailers will receive an additional two exclusive, developed for release in the Western world and confidant Flatterling Griff.

Also, Amazon.com has the strategy guide back in stock at 23.52 USD. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030789598X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Eusis

Lol do you seriously expect a game titled Ni No Kuni to sell well in the west in this day and age of CoDs and Skyrims?
Depending on your definition of "well" it never would have. Breaking a hundred thousand would be amazing, and several hundred thousand mind blowing, with a million and higher being in the realm of the impossible.

Lol do you seriously expect a game titled Ni No Kuni to sell well in the west in this day and age of CoDs and Skyrims?

Unless Namco REALLY undershipped, I wouldn't be surprised to see it chart on NPD. It's getting great word of mouth, was the top seller on Amazon for a while and is still among the top, and several retailers are completely sold out.

Eusis

Yeah, it'd have to be "we only put these out as an obligation and are trying to minimize our loss" low, which I imagine is more likely "we sent out just enough so we could make a small profit"... only for it to turn out they could probably make a huge profit instead.

Has anybody been charged after their copy got shipped? I don't even have a pending transaction on my bank statement and according to my confirmation number the package is on the road right now. I worried since visa asked if it was a fraudulent transaction this morning. I really hope I don't shit later for supposedly not letting the charge go through.

Top Bottom