• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) involved in sexual harassment allegations [Suspended]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Skater

Neo Member
A sexual conversation that only 1 party agrees to is certainly harassment.
This isn't a case of a regular relationship being blown out on internet, it's a minor celebrity using his status to get sex from his fans.

This has happened multiply time involving "famous" youtubers asking fans for nudes. I know one guy recently was sent to jail for asking 14 year olds.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with nick but I bet this stuff is happens waaaay more then people think.

He's not keeping his job

Maybe in any other field (sadly) but games, specifically games media, are desperately trying to get away from this sort of thing. Keeping someone like that on board while trying to maintain an air of progress/forward thinking is absurdly counterproductive

Really, really disappointing Nick. Enjoyed his stuff since Rev3, followed on Twitter and such and this is just an awful bummer. The kind of slimy predatory shit I'd expect from a sleazy Myspace scene band

ZeoVGM

Banned
If you're a guy who is asking multiple strangers on the internet to send you nudes, you're a creep. There's no real way around that.

Budi

I'd send you a picture of my tits because I'm not as repressed but I think that, unlike the content of this thread, is actual sexual harassment.

Lately I'm so confused when I see a guy who's clearly interested but never makes a move. Making the first move is not harassment. Repeatedly badgering someone, sure, but a shitty pickup line or flirting with a girl who already sent you pictures is not harassment.
If you are interested in him and he is interested in you, then go ahead and make a "move" yourself. Depending what the move is. And I say this to you too, don't try to defend his behaviour just because ONE of the people has sent sexy pictures to him. That's not relevant. And that person also said that she was "starstruck" by Robinson, so you can drop that "he ain't Justin Bieber" stuff too.

superbest

Banned
You're missing the point so much that I have to assume you're doing it on purpose

This is not about the one conversation in which he solicited nudes and received them, its about the multiple, multiple times he did so to colleagues, industry professionals, and fans where they were not comfortable and did not reciprocate

Also the one instance we have of someone consenting is from a barely of age fan and the entire situation looks to be predatory and manipulative

This isn't Nick having romantic relationships with people, this is Nick specifically engaging women for no other reason than to use them sexually, women in and around games who may be impressed and/or intimidated by his position within it.

It's blatant harassment, and if you can't see that it's because you're choosing not to.

I'm still confused how we're reading a job at Polygon as a position of power. That's like flashing your internship at 22Cans.

And engaging women for no other reason than to use them sexually? Did we suddenly travel back in time 10 years to when nobody was allowed to admit to sleeping around?

sflufan

Banned
He's not keeping his job

Maybe in any other field (sadly) but games, specifically games media, are desperately trying to get away from this sort of thing. Keeping someone like that on board while trying to maintain an air of progress/forward thinking is absurdly counterproductive

Really, really disappointing Nick. Enjoyed his stuff since Rev3, followed on Twitter and such and this is just an awful bummer. The kind of slimy predatory shit I'd expect from a sleazy Myspace scene band

Within my company (government financial consulting), he would've been terminated 24 hours ago without our HR department breaking a sweat.

Mael

This has happened multiply time involving "famous" youtubers asking fans for nudes. I know one guy recently was sent to jail for asking 14 year olds.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with nick but I bet this stuff is happens waaaay more then people think.

Regardless or not this is more common than it should be.
Doing that is shitty enough, on underage people is even worse.
Ask Anthony Wiener how well that went for him.

Bahorel

I'm still confused how we're reading a job at Polygon as a position of power. That's like flashing your internship at 22Cans.

And engaging women for no other reason than to use them sexually? Did we suddenly travel back in time 10 years to when nobody was allowed to admit to sleeping around?

I'd love to know your definition of sexual harassment. I'm ready to hear it.

Goofalo

There's that, but companies also have cultures and values. Do you think his coworkers will still feel comfortable with him around?

Of course not.

I'm reacting in general to people bringing up Polygon/Vox's progressive culture as a reason why Nick would be terminated. And I worry, and in no way think you implied this, that there are people out there that think that if they operate mostly in a conservative/right wing environment that they don't have to confront the same repercussions for similar behavior.

Companies value diversity. Diversity of multiple sources of cash flow.

L Thammy

How many people want to have some involvement of the game industry and have a lot of experience with games, but lack the technical knowledge about games to be involved in development?

Now, how much actual demand for such people do you think there are? How easy is it to get a job as a gaming journalist with a major online publication?

There's a visible power dynamic there, no matter how much you want to downplay it.

There was another story not too long ago about a blog where the owner didn't give writers credit or pay them, but the writers still did work for the blog because they wanted to get into the industry. This is not the first time this specific kind of power dynamic has come into play.

Of course not.

I'm reacting in general to people bringing up Polygon/Vox's progressive culture as a reason why Nick would be terminated. And I worry, and in no way think you implied this, that there are people out there that think that if they operate mostly in a conservative/right wing environment that they don't have to confront the same repercussions for similar behavior.

That's a fair point too. I can understand why you'd want to call that out, then.

Mael

Because men in this thread keep trying to mansplain to me that I can't be a woman because real women agree with them.

Why the fuck do you think you're the only real women in this thread?
And why you thinking this is ok makes the whole thing a non issue?

Within my company (government financial consulting), he would've been terminated 24 hours ago without our HR department breaking a sweat.

At mine he would have been terminated similarly and you can bet your ass he would have at least been shelved to make him go on his own.... Scratch that even in France you terminate someone with prejudice (no benefits) for something like that.

Dark_Skater

Neo Member
Regardless or not this is more common than it should be.
Doing that is shitty enough, on underage people is even worse.
Ask Anthony Wiener how well that went for him.

Yea its fucked, but you have the gamergate people saying "Oh this never happens" and its bullshit.

If you can't see how a hugely popular person withing the video game press is in a position of power over fans, journalists in lower positions or freelancing, and lesser known/unknown people at developers than I don't know what to tell you. I don't see how you see the tweets of him interacting with one of his fans and soliciting nudes and trying to get a blowjob as him *not* being in the position of power.

No, we have advanced since 10 years ago where we treat women less like objects and more like people. This thread is proof that we clearly haven't advanced enough.

Mael

Yea its fucked, but you have the gamergate people saying "Oh this never happens" and its bullshit.

Ironically this is the kind of shit "ethic in game journalism" was supposed to be all about but hey it's not about harassing women here so I guess they can't hear the call...

Now we have evidence of him creeping You Tube followers, its systematic with this guys behavior and its unlikely we'll ever know the full extent of his actions if they are non industry girls he told to "Keep it secret".

Yes, that can be a celebrity. My wife was online for over an hour to get us tickets to see the McElroys record a live taping of their podcast. I sure as shit wouldn't do that for any musician.

And I'm going to ask you this point-blank: do you think it's acceptable to proposition people you aren't sexually or romantically involved with for sexual or romantic things?

Of course not.

I mean, it's a factor. If Robinson worked for a Red Pill/MRA company, it's certainly less likely that he gets fired. To switch positions, Tomi Lahren got canned for not being a piece of shit on something because her employer's brand is all about being pieces of shit.

So, yes and no. You're correct that companies protect their money and their brands, but it's also correct to say that Polygon's brand is more vulnerable to this sort of publicity than a more conservative outlet would be.

BTA

So, along with everything me and others have posted in the thread explaining how he inherently has power over devs and freelancers...

Are you seriously trying to imply Polygon's a small site or something? They're huge. Their YouTube following is also huge. Nick alone had over 80,000 followers on Twitter. Are you serious?

Are you Vivian James?
Giving credit where credit is due, at least this poster has old posts from 2014/2015. Why this thread broke the two years of silence is anyone's guess.

On topic, we have pages and pages and users of both men and women saying this kind of behavior isn't normal, so while anyone is allowed to have an opinion on this. Jumping in, stating they're a lady, and giving an opinion doesn't negate everyone else's nor speak for all women. Superbest, you are free to disagree with most people here, but expect some pushback.

Edit: what the heck just happened?

L Thammy

You are responding to requests that no one made.

Almost your entire involvement in this thread is debating with the ghosts in your own head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom