• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Weiss

Banned
Okay the screen does the fade out thing that terrible modern games do with abundance when you're low on health, and it never goes away.

This game is officially worse than the plague.

Slater

Banned
i hope taro won't hold back to not scare a bigger audience

anyway nier was already a tamer game than drakengard so i don't expect we'll see crazy things

Doubt it, it's rated M for a reason. Besides, "bigger audience" and Nier is only relative. it's still going to be niche as fuck

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh sweet summer child.

You can spot people who haven't played Drakengard 3.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2333-drag-on-dragoon-3/InfiniteNine
eNtbKlQl.jpg

I definitely have I don't want to participate with this forum in enjoying it if it's going to just keep coming back to 2B's ass. I posted an out of bounds glitch to explore some of the overworld and people are just talking about 2B's ass.

sensui-tomo

It's about to cause the triggering of the internet, I should hide in a bunker till it's over.
No one is going to be triggered by it, we're just going to have the same 2 or 3 people come in here and "critize" it to hell and back, someone else will get triggered(angered or whatever, not trying to be funny with the word) by the remarks and the thread will spin around in circles for 2 days before it gets closed.

Baalzebup

The best part? Whether or not that picture is shopped, the result will be the same. Quite a few people will boot up the demo once again to verify whether this is true or not and 2B will be furiously swatting at the camera trying to keep all of them up-skirt hopefuls at bay.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Someone be real with me. How's this game (er.. I mean demo) so far? I've never played Nier and don't know the first thing about it. However, I did enjoy MGR and Bayonetta. What I've seen of Nier in videos didn't seem entirely impressive, but perhaps the game is better in person than what I'm seeing.

JayEH

No one is going to be triggered by it, we're just going to have the same 2 or 3 people come in here and "critize" it to hell and back, someone else will get triggered(angered or whatever, not trying to be funny with the word) by the remarks and the thread will spin around in circles for 2 days before it gets closed.

Hahahaha

Squire

Banned
Doubt it, it's rated M for a reason. Besides, "bigger audience" and Nier is only relative. it's still going to be niche as fuck

You don't need to work very hard to get an M rating, to be fair.

Someone be real with me. How's this game (er.. I mean demo) so far? I've never played Nier and don't know the first thing about it. However, I did enjoy MGR and Bayonetta. What I've seen of Nier in videos didn't seem entirely impressive, but perhaps the game is better in person than what I'm seeing.

The first Nier's action gameplay is mediocre at the absolute best. This demo is one of the best things I've played this year.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

It's pretty good combat seems to be an polished form of whats in Nier and Drakengard 3 with a bit of MGR sans blade mode for some good comboing if you want to put the effort in to be stylish. I'd suggest creating a custom controller config for it since it seems odd as is there will be quite a few genre shifts in it like Bayonetta as well (Mecha/Shmup ship battle in demo). Story beats in it aren't too great but I'm pretty sure it's just the opening epilogue segment thats in these games usually to give you a basic rundown of things so possibilities to grow from there.

The Original Nier's combat wasn't too great but serviceable and this basically alleviates the combat shortcomings from the first but the story was really engaging and unique at the time so if it comes together nicely this will be pretty great.

I think this gif can show some of what you can do it's not too impressive compared to what I've seen but they're not available in readily showable form.
bLO8366.gif

Crayon

The first one was really rough but the story, characters, and music almost made it worth it. Lots of potential. This one looks like it brushes up the rough spots and replaces the old basic gameplay with sick platinum gameplay. Looking very promising.

Slater

Banned
You don't need to work very hard to get an M rating, to be fair.

True, but my point was more if Taro was gonna tone himself down there would be way more signs, and the rating being M (plus wtf he did in DS3) points more to him doing what he wants as always however weird and fetishy it is.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The first one was really rough but the story, characters, and music almost made it worth it. Lots of potential. This one looks like it brushes up the rough spots and replaces the old basic gameplay with sick platinum gameplay. Looking very promising.

Cool. Do I need to know anything important going in? Or do they kinda prime you a little on backstory?

It's pretty good combat seems to be an polished form of whats in Nier and Drakengard 3 with a bit of MGR sans blade mode for some good comboing if you want to put the effort in to be stylish. I'd suggest creating a custom controller config for it since it seems odd as is there will be quite a few genre shifts in it like Bayonetta as well (Mecha/Shmup ship battle in demo). Story beats in it aren't too great but I'm pretty sure it's just the opening epilogue segment thats in these games usually to give you a basic rundown of things so possibilities to grow from there.

The Original Nier's combat wasn't too great but serviceable and this basically alleviates the combat shortcomings from the first but the story was really engaging and unique at the time so if it comes together nicely this will be pretty great.

I think this gif can show some of what you can do it's not too impressive compared to what I've seen but they're not available in readily showable form.
bLO8366.gif

Thank-you friend. Send me a message sometime :)

Markoman

It's Platinum's best game in regard to movement in combat. It feels sooo good.
Bayonetta was all about dodging into witch-time and keeping combos up with dodge-offset.
MGR was all about speed, parrying and blade-mode. NA is all about speed and having the most flexible dodge ever with pod-powers mixed in. For example you can dodge the bullets via zick-zack closing in on the enemies or dodge, jump and lunge at them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cool. Do I need to know anything important going in? Or do they kinda prime you a little on backstory?

Thank-you friend. Send me a message sometime :)
No you'll be fine stand alone but some things that are surprising won't faze you unless you've played the original based off what they've shown. Taro said it's just fine as a stand alone and people who played the original might be really confused so that might be to your benefit possibly.

And of course would love to chat again. :)
Is Nier better on 360 or PS3? I cant find any info.

It's fine on both really they're almost identical but 360 runs ever so slightly better if that is important to you. I say get whatever is cheaper atm.

Impressed by the demo. My first time on normal was fun but a bit on the tame side, on hard with the gun mapped to L2 instead of lock on makes it quite excellent. Having to aim the laser special is pretty cool and the placement feels more comfortable. Hard mode gives more focus to melee combat which was a bit lacking when you can just lock on and dodge in normal. Really liked it
Hope the story is good, a bit worried about what I've heard from Yoko's previous works (finish the game multiple times for different/true endings) and I hope the RPG aspect is good as well since it is an ARPG instead of just an Action game.
Interested in seeing PG take this approach with more games

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is Nier better on 360 or PS3? I cant find any info.

You have to install on PS3. Loading times are a bit quicker by default. However you can install on 360 obviously and the games are basically the same otherwise

Hektor

Impressed by the demo. My first time on normal was fun but a bit on the tame side, on hard with the gun mapped to L2 instead of lock on makes it quite excellent. Having to aim the laser special is pretty cool and the placement feels more comfortable. Hard mode gives more focus to melee combat which was a bit lacking when you can just lock on and dodge in normal. Really liked it
Hope the story is good, a bit worried about what I've heard from Yoko's previous works (finish the game multiple times for different/true endings) and I hope the RPG aspect is good as well since it is an ARPG instead of just an Action game.
Interested in seeing PG take this approach with more games

That you had to play through Nier multiple times shouldn't make you worry for the story tho, the story is great specifically because of the way it utilizes NG+.

It's also reffering exclusively to the story-content, sidequests and such remain completed.
Considering that Platinum too, loves to put a lot of effort into replayablity this is an amazing combination tbh.

Kinyou

bLO8366.gif
I love how she leans into the curve. Generally some great animations even though i still dont really understand her fighting style and why those swords teleport.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love how she leans into the curve. Generally some great animations even though i still dont really understand her fighting style and why those swords teleport.

its anime. magitek is generally all compassing with that kind of thing

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I was very interested in this game and then I heard it has butthole, now I'm not sure if it's possible to want something more than I currently do.

[edit]

It was a shop? Fuck this game, I will never play it.

specdot

I was very interested in this game and thenI heard it has butthole, now I'm not sure if it's possible to want something more than I currently do.

[edit]

It was a shop? Fuck this game, I will never play it.
It's usually the other way around here on Gaf. What is this? Opposite world?

Top Bottom