• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2014

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's just the UK paying more for GBA than SNES. Everywhere else has it fine and between GBC and SNES.

Keep in mind the UK is still profiting from the much better conversion rate of the pound at the beginning of the Wii. But I guess £5.99 would have been a bit more fair.

cacildo

Wave Race GB is awesome actually.

eheh, i remember i rented it and said "Damn, what an horrible game, its has an ugly top down view and... wait... just a sec.... wow this game is awsome"

Dont know how it holds.... they should give it as a reward on club nintendo. (didnt even knew it was on the Eshop....)

It's funny how M2 couldn't get a launch Mega Drive titles to run on the 3DS and has to build them from the ground up, taking months per title, and yet Nintendo of all people are expected to have GBA games running flawlessly and releasing on a weekly basis.
Shame Nintendo were so shortsighted when designing the 3DS (the Streetpass cap is another example)

It's just the UK paying more for GBA than SNES. Everywhere else has it fine and between GBC and SNES.

At this price their availability on the 3DS is a moot point, seeing as how VC 3DS titles are an extra pound. There's not a chance I would pay £7.29 for any GBA VC game.

Refyref

April VC PR for NA:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is planning to make April a month to remember for fans of classic games with weekly Virtual Console releases featuring renowned entries in many of the company's most beloved franchises. From April 3 through April 24, select Game Boy Advance titles will launch in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U each week. In addition to off-TV play, these games feature Restore Points that save progress during game play, and Miiverse functionality. Top-selling NES game Super Mario Bros. 3 also launches for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS on April 17. Considered by many to be one of the best games ever made, the title makes for a great way to enjoy the Easter holiday weekend and beyond.

Key upcoming Virtual Console releases in April include:

April 3:
Advance Wars (Wii U, $7.99): Command air, ground and naval forces in strategic turn-based battles to drive back the vibrant armies of several scheming generals. Order troops carefully, then watch as tanks obliterate enemies and jets go head-to-head in midair dogfights. Can you fend off an army of elite strategists? It's your move.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Wii U, $7.99): Leap and level up as Mario and Luigi simultaneously in their first role-playing adventure as a team of Bros. When an evil witch replaces Princess Peach's voice with explosives, the Bros. must venture beyond the Mushroom Kingdom to save her. Control each bro separately or together, then team up to unleash Bros. Attacks on Fawful's fan-favorite face.

Metroid Fusion (Wii U, $7.99): Your mission: Eradicate the X parasites and the mutants they infect. Power up with the Fusion Suit to annihilate your enemies in this action-packed side-scroller set on an isolated research station. Along the way, you'll find game-changing items like the Space Jump as you lose yourself in the blissful solitude of this eerily engrossing adventure.

April 10:
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (Wii U, $6.99): When the going gets tough, Kirby gets cloning. Call in colorful clone reinforcements to aid Kirby in blasting, bashing and smashing his foes. With a new menace at his side, Dark Meta Knight is corrupting the sprawling, mazelike Mirror Kingdom. Join the famous pink puffball on an adventure to save the land in this classic platformer.

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! (Wii U, $6.99): Get ready for video games done Wario-style. In the game that started the WarioWare, Inc. empire, Wario has a plan to get rich quick. Skate, jump, scare and shoot your way through more than 200 frantic, rapid-fire microgames of every type, from retro classics to sports games to sci-fi shooters that anyone can pick up and play.

April 17
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, $4.99): Jump, swim and fly through one of the greatest and most beloved Super Mario Bros. games of all time. In this timeless NES classic, you'll battle through over 70 baddie-infested courses and face off against the infamous Koopalings. Bowser and the Koopalings are causing chaos yet again, but this time, they're going beyond the Mushroom Kingdom and into seven neighboring worlds. Lucky for the brothers, they have more power-ups than ever before. Fly above the action with the Super Leaf, swim faster as Frog Mario or turn into stone and drop onto enemies as Tanooki Mario. You can even choose your path on the map to reach the end of the World. There, you'll have to pass massive Airships filled with cannons and fire traps to reach a showdown with one of the Koopalings.

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Wii U, $6.99): Get your adrenaline pumping and race plasma-powered machines till your knuckles turn white. Boost down some of the most dangerous tracks in the universe and strive for victory at all costs, even if it means ramming your opponents off the road. Revel in your accomplishments and climb the Grand Prix standings to unlock tracks and vehicles.

Golden Sun (Wii U, $7.99): Marvel at your own awesome power while protecting the world as it crumbles around you. Wield mighty weapons and use your mind to bend reality with magical Psynergy in the premiere installment of this epic RPG series. To aid you on your quest, seek out the omnipotent creatures known as Djinn - but beware: You must defeat them to harness their power.

April 24
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (Wii U, $7.99): Yoshi is back, baby, and he's ready to romp through a crayon-colored world where enemies are everywhere. Prepare to flutter jump and toss eggs to protect young Mario from the evil Magikoopa, Kamek. To save the day, Yoshi and his pals will have to morph into vehicles and even EAT their enemies to turn them into eggs. Umm ... yum?

For more information about Nintendo eShop, visit http://www.nintendo.com/eshop.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So different prices for GBA games in the US. Plus, they really waited until the very last week for SMB3? Oh boy. Does that mean Dr. Mario this week?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The 3DS is not powerful enough to emulate a GBA. The ambassador games run due to the GBA BC the DS has. However, running in this mode means that you don't have access to any of the 3DS' other features while it runs. I'm guessing Nintendo doesn't want to sell you a product (that isn't there due to BC i.e. DSiWare) that doesn't work with the 3DS' normal features.
I'd pay some nice cash to be able to play GBA games in DS mode. I don't care about sleep mode or save states, I just want to play some of my favorite GBA games on my 3DS :/

It's funny how M2 couldn't get a launch Mega Drive titles to run on the 3DS and has to build them from the ground up, taking months per title, and yet Nintendo of all people are expected to have GBA games running flawlessly and releasing on a weekly basis.
Given that GBA titles can run natively on 3DS, I'd say those expectations are pretty well-grounded.

Refyref

I'd pay some nice cash to be able to play GBA games in DS mode. I don't care about sleep mode or save states, I just want to play some of my favorite GBA games on my 3DS :/

Given that GBA titles can run natively on 3DS, I'd say those expectations are pretty well-grounded.

I don't care about those either, and would love to see them available, but I can understand why Nintendo would not want to sell things that lack basic features.

Ondore

I think the fact that they're not launching in NA with just the Ambassador games almost makes up for the fact that they promised Mario 3 "this year" in August and couldn't even deliver in the fiscal year.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
$7 or $8 for GBA games? That's not too bad. Either same price or slightly cheaper than a SNES game. Hell, Superstar Saga for $8 is a great deal.

& guess we technically get Yoshi's Island now...just as the GBA version.

I could run mega drive games at full speed on a DS with a datel games n' music (the bargain basement of flashcarts). Likewise the maker of that emulator had a bit more trouble when doing it officially for the Sonic Classic collection (something like they were using GBA hardware in DS mode in an officially forbidden way) but it still did well on the DSi. There is one difference. That above was in 2D.

The problem M2 ran into is to make it work in 3D you have to run the game twice concurrently or at least at 120fps (left eye/right eye) which takes up far more resources. The games are emulated still but the ROMs have some heavy edits to add in the depth info which was far tougher. The emulated system was not your average mega drive either (to account for the depth effects).

You really can't compare the situation to the GBA even though there may be some parallels (maybe the 3DS hardware is that bad).

I don't understand the desire for GBA games on Wii U at all. I can see the point of SNES games because there aren't many people with a SNES connected to the TV nowadays and so Wii/Wii U are the easiest ways to access those games.

If you had any interest in GBA games though, why wouldn't you own a Micro or an SP, both incredible devices which take up no space or ports in the back of your TV, and are actually portable should you wish as opposed to the Wii U versions.

It just seems weird that anyone would buy these. If you're planning on getting them; how come?

jimi_dini

I don't understand the desire for GBA games on Wii U at all.

LOL Nintendo AMIRITE!!!

Seriously, they're a business, they're supposed to make money, why are we grudging them the chance to make money? If they want to offer GBA games on Wii U, let them. It's their money.

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you're planning on getting them; how come?

I own a micro which I really love, but buying GBA games used is a pain in the ass nowadays. If you buy them complete with manual and box and such, VC is probably by far the cheaper option, if you don't chances are high you won't get a legal copy.
Not to mention the the WiiU VC version comes with additional features like save states and I can use more comfortable controllers (I plan to use my SNES controller, if the games look decent enough on TV).
It's a viable alternative.

zroid

Banned
It just seems weird that anyone would buy these. If you're planning on getting them; how come?

errrr, same reason I buy any VC game...

don't own it or don't have easy access to it and want to play/replay it

I understand some people might prefer to play handheld games on a handheld, but a game is a game

Refyref

I could run mega drive games at full speed on a DS with a datel games n' music (the bargain basement of flashcarts). Likewise the maker of that emulator had a bit more trouble when doing it officially for the Sonic Classic collection (something like they were using GBA hardware in DS mode in an officially forbidden way) but it still did well on the DSi. There is one difference. That above was in 2D.

Err, no. The DS homebrew Genesis emulator is not that good. It can only reach full speed in simple games, and even then not all the time.

BratmanDu

Well I can only speak for myself but I'm keen to get Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid on SNES is pretty much my favorite game of all time so I really want to play this.

I have not owned a Nintendo product since the SNES+GB, so there's many years of quality games I'm able to enjoy for the first time. I've tried phone emulators for GBA, no buttons was a problem for anything that wasn't turn based. I had a Dingoo emulation device I used to play one of the GBA Castlevanias but it broke and I'm more of a couch gamer, playing on the bus hurt my neck.

I like the idea of the wiiU becoming a big repository of 30 years worth of Nintendo gaming, needs more SNES/N64/GC though.

*miiVerse stuff, the screenshot function, quality hardware (good solid Nintendo buttons!) and off screen play are contributing factors to why I will pay for GBA games even though I could download and emulate them for free.

also

Banned
I don't understand the desire for GBA games on Wii U at all. I can see the point of SNES games because there aren't many people with a SNES connected to the TV nowadays and so Wii/Wii U are the easiest ways to access those games.

If you had any interest in GBA games though, why wouldn't you own a Micro or an SP, both incredible devices which take up no space or ports in the back of your TV, and are actually portable should you wish as opposed to the Wii U versions.

It's hard to get complete, genuine games. The prices on eBay are high (or at least were before I gave up) and there's a lot of counterfeit stuff out there. Not to mention having to deal with shipping and unreliable sellers.
I really don't see any easier way of legally playing GBA games than buying them through VC. The only problem will be, if other VCs are anything to judge by, the sloooooooooooow trickling of releases and licensing issues.

I play most of portables at home so to me there's not much difference in using off-tv play or playing on a GBA. I'm good as long as I don't have to be stuck in front of the TV.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
While I'd much rather play them on my 3DS (I remember not being a fan of the GBA Player on GCN & just stuck to playing on my GBA), if it means I can play some GBA games I passed on originally (like Golden Sun), then I'll get them on Wii U.

I'm hoping this means we'll hear from 3rd party companies soon about GBA games hitting (like Namco and possibly re-releasing the Klonoa games since we saw the rating for the first GBA).

A bunch of reasons, I guess!

I have a Wii U and I think I will enjoy some of these games. Is it outrageous?

No, just seemed to me that the best way to play them would be on a GBA is all, because it wouldn't be hard to have a GBA knocking about and it's actually more convenient to play on a GBA than a Wii U, where the Wii U is obviously more convenient than the SNES so the VC makes sense there, etc.

But yeah, obviously the demand is there for various reasons! (I'm still sticking with my Micro, but I can see why people might want these.)

JoeM86

A bunch of reasons, I guess!

No, just seemed to me that the best way to play them would be on a GBA is all, because it wouldn't be hard to have a GBA knocking about and it's actually more convenient to play on a GBA than a Wii U, where the Wii U is obviously more convenient than the SNES so the VC makes sense there, etc.

But yeah, obviously the demand is there for various reasons! (I'm still sticking with my Micro, but I can see why people might want these.)

The GBA is 13 years old, and was discontinued over 6 years ago. It's not overly easy or cheap to get one and the games

Pretty good lineup for April VC launch but I don't like the varied pricing and NOA still needs to do more to get into my good graces again, will be getting a new battery for my GBA SP soon.

And NA will finally get SMB 3, a full year after Wii U VC launch and about five months after EU. Hopefully they at least throw a bone and offer a discount for folks who get both the Wii U and 3DS version.

zroid

Banned
Between GBA and NES Remix 2, probably will be spending a lot of money on Wii U eShop next month. Good thing I'm pretty close to earning my next $5 code!

LayLa

nice to see that the GBA games seem to support full button remapping, wish Nintendo would roll this out to the rest of their VC games

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I forgot about NES Remix 2. There is also Child of Light. If also some of those very interesting indie games will come in April, I will spend quite a lot. Big eshop month.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are you guys seriously saying €7 is too much for GBA games?!
That's a very good deal imo, I was expecting nothing less than €10 and was hoping for €9.
On the other hand, 90% of NES prices are mental, same for GG and 50% of the SNES games for €8 is way too much. But €7 for Superstar Saga, the Metroid games etc.? Sick deal!

JoeM86

I lost a lot of my GBA games due to my sister's friend borrowing them and then losing them (which is why I no longer allow people to borrow my games), so I'll be rebuilding my collection, happily, with this. Will be getting most of them.

tolkir

Next week on Japan eShop

uxwGK.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Purchasing two GBA games, 2nd costs ¥490 until 04/06 Upcoming 04/03

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo DSi | DsiWare

steveovig

I must say that I'm actually happy about the NA line-up for GBA games. I was expecting one game a week. Also, I think the prices are great and less than I expected. Anyone who was expecting to pay less than $7 for a Nintendo GBA game was clearly keeping their head in the clouds.

Madao

haven't you realized that the GBA games and the console itself got their sucessor 10 years ago?

it was the same with SNES when it debuted on Wii VC. SNES had gotten its sucessor 10 years before it debuted on VC.

they're right on time.

GBA! Yay! Wii U saved!

$7-8 isn't too bad. Was expecting double that!

Also, Donkey Kong Land on GB? Id get it, although why is that out for GB and the SNES games are pulled? Unless Japan still has the Country games on their VC.

orborborb

Would be nice if they ported Warioware Twisted to support the Wii U Gamepad's gyroscopes since I hear the original cart is prone to failure. Not holding my breath.

steveovig

Do you guys think the GBA DKC games are a possibility for the VC at all? I'm not sure on whether Microsoft would put the stop to that.

Murrah

Banned
Do you guys think the GBA DKC games are a possibility for the VC at all? I'm not sure on whether Microsoft would put the stop to that.

I hope not. Never played the GBA port of 3 but the first two were atrocious

Also still don't think it fully had anything to do with Microsoft as to why DKC trilogy was removed from Wii VC. Think DKL coming out in Japan is a pretty big indicator if that

Variable pricing on Wii U VC? Multiple games a week? Games announced ahead of time?

NCL must be exerting a great deal of control over the GBA VC rollout because this is just not how NoA operates.

Top Bottom