• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

Really starting to feel like Nintendo is about to go an amazing run for the next couple of years.

I'm legit more-excited for Wii-U right now than I am the 720,PS4, and that says an awful lot. GAF was right all these years I've been lurking before joining, PANIC MODE NINTENDO IS BEST NINTENDO.

I wonder what the chances are of seeing an HD Mario title right out the gate? Picturing Nintendo games in HD is making my head melt

Don't anger Weinerpoop

sjugZ.jpg

New Super Mario Bros 3DS this upcoming fiscal year?

Zomg, sorry vita =((((

And I still can't believe Nintendo doesn't have a solid move on online yet. At this point in the race they REALLY should have had it all figured it. Heck, they should have laud the ground for it 2 or 3 years ago!

It's going to hurt them big time in the long term.

TriGen

Really starting to feel like Nintendo is about to go an amazing run for the next couple of years.

I'm legit more-excited for Wii-U right now than I am the 720,PS4, and that says an awful lot. GAF was right all these years I've been lurking before joining, PANIC MODE NINTENDO IS BEST NINTENDO.

I wonder what the chances are of seeing an HD Mario title right out the gate? Picturing Nintendo games in HD is making my head melt

Agreed, I loved Nintendo when I was younger but during this whole gen I was definetly in the Xbox/PS camp, but right now I want a new Nintendo console more then anything else.

New Super Mario Bros 3DS this upcoming fiscal year?

Zomg, sorry vita =((((

And I still can't believe Nintendo doesn't have a solid move on online yet. At this point in the race they REALLY should have had it all figured it. Heck, they should have laud the ground for it 2 or 3 years ago!

Uh... what?
Did you miss the entire thread?

qq more

oh shit, forgot about that bear, best thing to come out of E3 2011 besides Mr.Caffeine

The moment I heard Mr. Caffeine saying EPIC FAIL, he suddenly became the worst part of E3.

Pre-E3 hype was great though. Can't believe I forgot about Nintendo weinerpoop and E3 bear.

...I know Ace already said this but have you read this thread at all?

Uh... what?
I read the full op and some posts.

They are "considering" things, they are analyzing things, they are studying things.

Seriously, Nintendo needs a plan in place NOW. No more studying, no more analyzing, no more slow implementation of their online strategy.

I'm really surprised they they haven't shown a clear plan for their online strategy. Microsoft was taking a look at all that stuff in 2006!

shira

Uh... what?
Can I buy a really good game online with 2-3 clicks in an organized store?
Can I buy a free to play game?
Can I buy a several good $1-8 games?

iOS is still miles ahead, but 3ds outlook is better

They are "considering" things, they are analyzing things, they are studying things.

Seriously, Nintendo needs a plan in place NOW. No more studying, no more analyzing, no more slow implementation of their online strategy.

I'm really surprised they they haven't shown a clear plan for their online strategy. Microsoft was taking a look at all that stuff in 2006!

The Wii U hasn't launched yet...
What exactly are you wanting them to show you right now?
They're working on something for an upcoming system... I don't see the problem here.

Can I buy a really good game online with 2-3 clicks in an organized store?
Can I buy a free to play game?
Can I buy a several good $1-8 games?

iOS is still miles ahead, but 3ds outlook is better

Yes
Yes
Yes

Medalion

Banned
I think he was saying this stuff should already have been implemented years ago, not just in an announcement for a system still over half a year away

royalan

Ummm, you guys do know the point of an Investor Meeting, right?

Nintendo outlining features that they have in the pipeline for the next fiscal year is a big freaking deal. But they were never going to roll out features RIGHT AT the meeting. That's not the point of an investor meeting.

But for Nintendo to highlight these features means they are definitely coming. And soon.

What the heck is weinerpoop again? I remember hearing it around E3 last year, but can't remember what it was about. Was it the system's name?

vareon

You think rushing out those online plans NOW would be better in long term?

Investor meetings are held to communicate financial results and instill confidence in the company for their future outlook.

I don't think Nintendo should be presenting to the world their online strategy in this sort of meeting, but they have to instill confidence in the people who own their company.

Therefore, it's solely my opinion - I think the message should have been "Hey guys don't worry, we messed up online but we have a very, very solid pipeline".

Nintendo just seems totally insecure with their online plan and totally not sure of the direction they are going, and quite frankly as an old time Nintendo fan it makes me worried :p

Am I entitled to opinions?

Michan

Investor meetings are held to communicate financial results and instill confidence in the company for their future outlook.

I don't think Nintendo should be presenting to the world their online strategy in this sort of meeting, but they have to instill confidence in the people who own their company.

Therefore, it's solely my opinion - I think the message should have been "Hey guys don't worry, we messed up online but we have a very, very solid pipeline".

They revealed a few minor details which most of the competition is already doing. I don't see the problem there.

royalan

Nintendo just seems totally insecure with their online plan and totally not sure of the direction they are going, and quite frankly as an old time Nintendo fan it makes me worried :p

I don't think Nintendo is "insecure" with their online plan. But they are definitely late to the party. Very late. So I think it was important for them to instill confidence in their investors by giving them a few concrete details.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, it's the E3 Bear.
It was just some peeled paint on a bar from when they delivered the Wii U stuff.

GAF is really sliding when it comes to memes. The bear was devouring salmon far before all this weinerpoop nonsense.

RagnarokX

They weren't presenting to the world. They were telling investors their plans for online strategy to instill confidence in further investment. We're just bonus.

Levyne

Banned
I see it sorta of like a series of qualifying laps for a race.

Nintendo has had a slow lap time this round, and it was a self inflicked mistake not to be very smart of it on the first go round, but stepping on the gas 50 ft from the finish isn't exactly going to help much even if they should have crossed it a while ago.

I'd rather they spend the time perfecting their ideas for when the next race starts..the release of the Wii U.

Edit: I'm referring to online strategy specifically here, not sales.

snesfreak

Banned

Well OK, but I'm an older time Nintendo fan, and I'm not worried.
Not sure how you're getting "insecure" out of this, late? Yeah.

Some information from the English briefing notes:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/index.html

Near Field Comms

Today, I’d like to confirm that we will launch the Wii U in Japan, the U.S., Europe and Australia in time for the year-end sales season.

For the launch of new hardware, it is, of course, regarded as a sort of requisite not to miss the critical year-end sales season. The company is aiming to firmly complete the development of the entire system and prepare sufficient software so that the Wii U will be at its best at the time of the launch. Needless to say, we have learned a bitter lesson from the launch of the Nintendo 3DS.

Already by now, the Wii U is known for its new controller with a screen, among other features. For this controller, please be advised that we have decided to install a NFC function.

As many of you know, NFC is the acronym for Near Field Communication, which is a set of standards to establish radio communication in close proximity. The NFC I’m referring to here is the noncontact NFC standard that is compatible with FeliCa and MIFARE, and is expected to be widely used around the world in the near future.

By installing this functionality, it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data via noncontact NFC and to expand the new play format in the video game world. Adoption of this functionality will enable various other possibilities such as using it as a means of making micropayments.

Nintendo Network and DLC

The Nintendo Network service is our network platform which will cover the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U.

Unlike Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which has been focused upon specific functionalities and concepts, we are aiming to establish a platform where various services available through the network for our consumers shall be connected via Nintendo Network service so that the company can make comprehensive proposals to consumers.

For example, competitions and communication among users, as well as the sales of digital content, will be covered within the Nintendo Network.

The “Community” matches of “Mario Kart 7” that I have just referred to is one example. As for the sales of downloadable add-on content, “Tobidasu Pricla Kiradeco Revolution” (Japanese title), which Nintendo has already started the download sales to the owners of the Nintendo 3DS, is the first title for which consumers can purchase and download add-on content. We will make available the downloadable add-on content for this Nintendo first-party digital download title in the near future. As for the download sales of add-on content for packaged software, it is expected that “THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY,” which is scheduled to be launched on February 16 by Square Enix Co., Ltd. is going to be the first software title for which applicable music will be sold by Square Enix as downloadable add-on content. While we are on this subject, when we discuss anything relating to add-on content, our remarks are very often reported by the media by their attaching such modifiers or notes as “the ones used for social games.” Please note that Nintendo, as a software maker, does not plan to deploy businesses where our consumers cannot know in advance which item will appear as the result of their payment and they have to repeat the payments and, before they know it, they end up spending a huge amount of money in order to obtain the items they originally wanted to purchase. As a software maker, Nintendo believes that its packaged software should be sold to our consumers in a form so that the consumers will know in advance that they can enjoy playing the software they purchased just as it is. We believe that our consumers will be able to feel more secure if we offer our add-on content as an additional structure in which those who love the game will be able to enjoy it in a deeper way for a prolonged play time.

Also for the Wii U, we are planning to introduce a personal account system compatible with Nintendo Network. With this, for example, the ease of using a video game system when the hardware is shared by multiple family members, which has been a challenge we needed to tackle, shall be improved, and we will also be able to construct and offer the system by combining a variety of different services and content.

Whether it’s our first-party titles or third parties’ titles, for a number of games, we will actively attempt to achieve compatibility so that our consumers can enjoy our online services that we will deploy under the name of the Nintendo Network.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I get the impression that a lot of people are frustrated at Nintendo for not "patching in the right online" to Wii 3 years ago. But I don't think it works like that.

The Wii ship sailed the day the system launched, sad to say. It's something to have gotten over years ago and just enjoy the Wii for what it is, and not expect Nintendo to make all these reassurances about online plans before they were anywhere near rolling out a console that would actually benefit.

Despite constant harping on them, they have been steadily revealing the right moves for Wii U. Just the fact that Wii U is confirmed to have proper user accounts indicates the foundation for the "correct" online experience is already in place.

And as others have said, this was an investors meeting, not E3. The floor show with trailers for Wii U's online interface are not going to be out there yet.

jman2050

You can't just "fix" being late to the party by rushing and implementing a strategy long before formulating a concrete plan. Nintendo can't just say "let's copy Microsoft and Apple and call it a day" because what works for Microsoft and Apple's audience may not work for Nintendo's and vice versa. They have to figure out what works on their own.

Yeah it's extra time wasted and slow, but that's the way it typically has to be. Trying to play a "me-too" strategy is a bad idea more often than not.

MisterHero

Reggie's "Come at me, bro!" pose makes that picture.
I don't want to hear people complaining about what Reggie didn't get to reveal at this year's E3. On Wii U's Online stance, people were complaining when he couldn't reveal anything.

Iwata and Miyamoto stole his thunder again

:(

Top Bottom