• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

and by "random drops" i mean a hat icon like the sticker or cd icons in brawl fall out of the sky and the person who picks it up is the one who gets a top hat or afro for solid snake

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm probably gonna get hated on, but I really hope NSMB has a new artstyle. Getting a bit tired of the last two looking the same.

No hate from me.

I want a newer Super Mario World type of art style.

boiled goose

good with gravy
DLC in and of itself is not inherently bad.

I've never seen someone go "Really, new maps for Portal 2? Fuck you, Valve."

DLC is good when stuff is made after the release of the game and offered to extend the life of a game.

IE new world for NSMBWii released 6months-1year later.
A new character and map a year for Smash.
Monthly Track for MKWii.
Etc.

All would be awesome. Just dont withhold stuff from the game at launch when it is already made.... :/

Didn't you get the memo? ALL DLC is overpriced and terrible. And already on the disc. All of it. Good DLC is a myth. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly lying to you.

Seriously, why is "DLC" a dirty word. As long as it's NEW content not already in the retail copy, doesn't shorten the original experience, and worth the money, I don't see how it's a bad thing. I see it as a great thing. If Valve never releases a Portal 3 and instead releases yearly DLC for 2, even for money, I'd be more than happy.

I'm sure Nintendo's DLC will be just as worthwhile. Completely positive it will be.

StevieP

Banned
Didn't you get the memo? ALL DLC is overpriced and terrible. And already on the disc. All of it. Good DLC is a myth. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly lying to you.

Seriously, why is "DLC" a dirty word. As long as it's NEW content not already in the retail copy, doesn't shorten the original experience, and worth the money, I don't see how it's a bad thing. I see it as a great thing. If Valve never releases a Portal 3 and instead releases yearly DLC for 2, even for money, I'd be more than happy.

I'm sure Nintendo's DLC will be just as worthwhile. Completely positive it will be.

This post cost you $0.49

wii u messaging system is probably going to use postage that you buy in the eshop.

$0.49

guek said:
wii u swapnote is going to be really cool.

$0.99

With the 3DS getting a 2D Mario, I think it makes sense to release a 3D Mario on Wii U. I mean, Nintendo has to be working on a Mario for the Wii U, right? I would love a new Mario that plays similar to Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine.

beje

Banned
They already noted that they don't want it to be stuff already in or withheld from the game to begin with (aka keys), so I take that as a good sign...

Less than two months ago they stated they were going to open it to third party developers to sell DLC but were never going to use it themselves, maybe that's why people are so wary.

My thoughts exactly. Didn't Iwata complain about publishers who nickel and dime DLC and offer things as DLC previously available in the package to customers.

As long as I'm getting content that would have previously never been offered such as a new world on NSMB in addition to the usual amount of worlds or offering a DLC cup with new characters for MK7. I don't see the issue.

There are some publishers who do it well and there are others who do it horribly. People's overeactions about this are amusing to say the least.

"In the first half of the next fiscal term, we are now anticipating to get out of the situation that we sell the hardware below cost,"

What are people's thoughts on a 3DS hardware revision some time in the next 6 months? Could potentially be a silent revision, same product with cheaper internals, up to a new, premium design with extra controls.

Of the 200 3DS games in development, how many have been announced?

Not many, as far as I know.

Animal crossing
Super smash bros
Mario 2d platform
Metal gear 3D
Luigi's mansion
Monster hunter 4
Paper Mario
Zen pinball
Sonic kart racing game(?)
Time travellers
Layton vs Phoenix

No, apart from these I cannot think of many titles actually, by the way it's a fair assumption not all 200 games are due to be retail releases, in fact many of those should be DD only.

"In the first half of the next fiscal term, we are now anticipating to get out of the situation that we sell the hardware below cost,"

What are people's thoughts on a 3DS hardware revision some time in the next 6 months? Could potentially be a silent revision, same product with cheaper internals, up to a new design with extra controls.

I just don't see Nintendo doing a revision for this thing until next year. I think once they have broken even on the 3DS, they'll move on to the first revision.

Glass Joe

I generally don't buy DLC but I do when it's done right, meaning it feels like they're extending the life of a game instead of nickel & diming users that just picked up something. But stuff that is offered after the game's been out for a while, like new levels for 3D Land I'd pick up, or new tracks for Mario Kart 7, etc. But for Mario Kart I certainly wouldn't buy something like a new character or vehicle part.

Branduil

i honest to god hope that smash bros wii u has hats and unlockable items

and you get the hats by random drops

I don't care about that, I just hope this time it doesn't have almost literally the laggiest online I have ever played.

Hats dropping like items would be cool though.

Has anyone ever complained about free DLC before? I mean I'm sure someone has, but why?

birdchili

Seriously, why is "DLC" a dirty word.

because it can/has hurt game design when there's incentive to not ship a whole "thing" so you can monetize stuff after the fact. you end up with money people having even more control over the way the game is put together than they have now, which has serious potential to damage the experience.

dlc for extra inventory space! dlc for double-jump ability! dlc for the shotgun! dlc to find out what happened during that period that was left empty in the original game!

i'm not opposed to it in-general... but it has diminished a lot of games already.

Medalion

Banned
There is this thought DLC is a dev's lazy way to not finish a game or charge to unlock content already in the game's code to inflate profit

birdchili

Has anyone ever complained about free DLC before? I mean I'm sure someone has, but why?
it's the same reason i'm often annoyed when films are released with "extra scenes" added. sure, that might be good... but often they just bloat the thing and were left on the cutting room floor originally for good reason.

Some may arrgue it may result in a generally worse quality of the games, that's to say more bugs - since one can patch it afterwards - and a lack of content, and would rather have a fully tested game with everything in the box, let alone free DLC may be just the trojan horse to exploit consumers in many possible ways.

I can see there are both positive and negative points, by the way times change things, and even Nintendo has to reconsider something in their policies, if they want to provide with what people demand in order to stay afloat in videogames market

Alchemy

DLC is good when stuff is made after the release of the game and offered to extend the life of a game.

IE new world for NSMBWii released 6months-1year later.
A new character and map a year for Smash.
Monthly Track for MKWii.
Etc.

All would be awesome. Just dont withhold stuff from the game at launch when it is already made.... :/

Nintendo games are really the only ones with the lifespan to come anywhere close to releasing DLC 6 months to a year after the original release date of the product.

Cipherr

it's the same reason i'm often annoyed when films are released with "extra scenes" added. sure, that might be good... but often they just bloat the thing and were left on the cutting room floor originally for good reason.

Extra scenes that were cut from a film and adding dlc developed after the fact are so completely different that I dont care to try and discuss that with you.

You would only have a point if the added content was at some point deemed terrible and left out for that reason, only to later be sold to the customer.

birdchili

You would only have a point if the added content was at some point deemed terrible and left out for that reason, only to later be sold to the customer.
what about if the creator thought they had created a finished game with a defined beginning, middle, and end... with good pacing and mechanic unlocks... and then their publisher said they needed to release 3 dlc packs for it over the next year?

Desiato

It would be cool if NSMB3DS takes a note from Rayman Origins and goes with great 2D art instead of the plain 3D models.

It would be cool if NSMB3DS takes a note from Rayman Origins and goes with great 2D art instead of the plain 3D models.

Talk about timing. Mutant Mudds really showcases what even a simple pixel art sidescroller with parallax and 3D depth can do visually, and it doesn't have to compromise platforming or gameplay to achieve the visual style.

I want 3D classics SMB3

Or took a note from themselves.
wqQUM.jpg

Nintendo isn't going to abuse DLC like other companies do, otherwise they would have already. They've obviously thought about alot and I'm sure when they finally do jump on the bandwagon they're gonna go about it in a proper manner.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
it's cool bro

I hate it because back in my day DLC was known as unlockables, and they came with the standard package of the game.

Maybe Nintendo's DLC will be more ethical than that. Maybe there are some companies that already do great DLC instead of downloadable keys or releasing games before completion. And good for them, but the principle of DLC in general is what irks me.

Video games had a good run.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like it better when it was called Expansion Packs and they were handled with more content than DLC can imagine.

Top Bottom