• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

mclem

Its actually something that could happen with their new DD focus. It would allow them to cut expenses on niche titles. All they have to do in that case is localize languages and put up on download service instead of retail,marketing etc.

This is something I've often thought the PSP is remarkably good for, yet we've never really seen it on other consoles. There's a good pile of extremely niche titles on PSN that weren't worth doing a full release for but are still available thanks to that infrastructure in place. Persona in Europe, Cladun...

mclem

The mind boggles with the idea of separate figures that you could place on the tablet controller and then have them act as individual players save data. You could go round to a friends house with your figure (one of Link perhaps...) place it on the tablet, see a lovely rippling animation and them bam you're right in the heart of Smash Bros.!

So here's a crazy-as-hell thought: Smash Bros F2P. Uses a LoL-esque model with a small rotating selection of characters for free. Purchase characters in either physical figurine form (with a small markup, but they are then tradable and you actually have a figurine) or as an online purchase.

That, to me, looks like a viable business proposition.

mclem

DLC: I'm skeptical about this one. Way too many companies have done it wrong so far, and I'm not sure if Nintendo can resist to join the dark side. Iwata's intention is good (game's still the whole package), but I've yet to see it in action and for the next few years.

Even if the game is undisputably a complete package in itself, there will be people vociferously complaining simply because DLC exists.

So here's a crazy-as-hell thought: Smash Bros F2P. Uses a LoL-esque model with a small rotating selection of characters for free. Purchase characters in either physical figurine form (with a small markup, but they are then tradable and you actually have a figurine) or as an online purchase.

If nintendo was activision this would be a certainty

Jezan

Even if the game is undisputably a complete package in itself, there will be people vociferously complaining simply because DLC exists.
People expect Majora's Mask-like DLC :p even though MM is not an expansion of OoT.

I mean where do you draw the line of good and bad DLC?

If they get greedy, that would happen, and that's not fun, I mean imagine if the only starting characters are the original 12 from the first Smash, and you have to buy all others (Melee, Brawl new commers :/ )

beje

Banned
Just woken up.

So the Wii U will have accounts in a similar vain to the other two systems?

I'm expecting some kind of "master account" in the way the 3DS works for downloading stuff from the eShop linked to Club Nintendo and that you can easily migrate to a new system, coupled with user accounts so everyone can have their own separate friend list, saved data, inbox and parental controls (age rating, ability to buy stuff from the shop, etc...) that probably could be transfered separately as well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
About time, Nintendo.
Glad I set my expectations low on this, it was a pleasant surprise.

Xun

I'm expecting some kind of "master account" in the way the 3DS works for downloading stuff from the eShop linked to Club Nintendo and that you can easily migrate to a new system, coupled with user accounts so everyone can have their own separate friend list, saved data, inbox and parental controls (age rating, ability to buy stuff from the shop, etc...) that probably could be transfered separately as well.
Do we know if they're getting rid of Friend Codes for good yet?

It almost seems too good to be true.

beje

Banned
Do we know if they're getting rid of Friend Codes for good yet?

It almost seems too good to be true.

Probably, but I hope they come up with a better way of adding people because I'd rater write down a 12 digit code than xXx_.·-=TiTpEnIs=·._xXx

Zelda - Shipped numbers overview

Code:
[B]Release	System	Game							Shipped LTD	As of[/b]

1987	NES	The Legend of Zelda					6.510.000	MAR 2004
1988	NES	Zelda II: Adventure of Link				4.380.000	MAR 2004
1992	SNES	The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past			4.610.000	MAR 2004
1993	GB	The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening			3.830.000	MAR 2004
1998	N64	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time			7.600.000	MAR 2004
1998	CGB	The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX		2.220.000	MAR 2004
2000	N64	The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask			3.360.000	MAR 2004
2001	CGB	The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons			3.960.000	MAR 2004
2001	CGB	The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages			3.960.000	MAR 2004
2002	GBA	The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords	1.890.000	MAR 2004
2003	GCN	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker			3.070.000	MAR 2004
2004	GCN	The Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords Adventure		N/A
2004	GBA	The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap			>1.000.000	MAR 2005
2006	GCN	The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess			1.320.000	MAR 2007
2006	WII	The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess			5.820.000	MAR 2011
2007	NDS	The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass			4.130.000	MAR 2008
2009	NDS	The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks			2.610.000	MAR 2010
2011	3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D			2.490.000	DEC 2011
2011	WII	The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword			3.420.000	DEC 2011

2007	WII	Link's Crossbow Training (w/ Wii Zapper)		4.800.000	MAR 2010

Xun

Probably, but I hope they come up with a better way of adding people because I'd rater write down a 12 digit code than xXx_.·-=TiTpEnIs=·._xXx
You'd rather write a 12 digit code?

The 12 digit code along with the fact both people have to add each other make the current system Nintendo has feel ancient.

Rekubot

This NFC stuff sounds like it could be a great match for videogames, though I can't think of any decent applications aside from Skylanders/Yu-Gi-Oh cards at the moment.

If they can get some good ideas for it though I can see NFC being a major selling point.

sajj316

I'm all for a New Super Mario 3DS game. I'd also get for the nth time Super Mario World if they can add 3D effects like they've done with the Kirby game.

It's been a blast playing Ocarina 3D and considering the sales, Majora's Mask seems like the logical next conversion. I'd rather get an all new Zelda game using the Wind Waker engine but that's just my preference. Give me both as I'll buy it.

FreeMufasa

So strong sales from SS. Good, atleast the franchise won't be put on 'hold' early next gen.

And damn, never knew TP was such a beast. I think we'll see a return to a darker looking Zelda.

Neo C.

Nintendo sells their devices under the iQue brand in China, with limited software lineup. The Wii and GameCube were not among them, from what I recall.
Yes, Nintendo did an half-assed job with iQue, which - IIRC - contains a modified N64 and a modified DS. I guess it's a nice experience, but the people (especially the midclass) want the real deal. Kids in Vietnam played with imported DS, and before they played with imported GBA, PS1+2, SNES and so forth. I think it should be more or less the same in whole Asia. So much money left on the table, especially when we consider that most of them play with pirated stuff.

Nintendo is currently focusing its efforts in South Korea, where console gaming traditionally has never had a market and appear to be doing a pretty good job. It always surprised me that Sales-Age never really bothered to inquire about sales in South Korea. I'm certainly curious.

But if they're successful there, I can see Nintendo establishing a direct business arm in Taiwan and branching out further.
I'm interested in the South Korea business as well. We got a few bits here and there (remember the PS3 entry in SK?), but more news are always welcome.

Nintendo should really try to enter the Asian market. I guess Nintendo and Sony were satisfied with selling a few extra units to the Asian market in the past, but you can go only that far without proper localization. It wouldn't surprise me if (East) Asia became the driving force in the next gen, but first they need to make a proper entry.

mclem

I think it should be more or less the same in whole Asia. So much money left on the table, especially when we consider that most of them play with pirated stuff.

As I mentioned briefly earlier: I do think if a further reason for the figurine stuff is as another line of defense against piracy. Requiring a physical dongle to play the game instantly gives another major hoop for any potential pirates to jump through.

Iwata- priority is to satisfy existing 3ds users, am preparing titles that will expand user base combined with network
I think people looking at this and seeing "MMO" are overthinking. Something like Mario Kart fits as well, a big performer with an online component.
Javier said:
If they are releasing retail titles to eShop, I hope this means they're including DS titles and using this opportunity to localize games that weren't released on the first run.

I can dream.
I doubt anything very complicated would be worth the costs of localizing now, with the promise of less sales than when they passed over it before. Maybe if they've got more simple things like Stafi sitting around.

thefro

Sounds really good so far... hopefully they don't do anything too odd to mess the online up.

This NFC stuff sounds like it could be a great match for videogames, though I can't think of any decent applications aside from Skylanders/Yu-Gi-Oh cards at the moment.

If they can get some good ideas for it though I can see NFC being a major selling point.

Just having Pokemon cards being able to interface with the console is a huge license to print money.

I really hope that they increase their character limit for individual user accounts. I get to share my username amongst all other services except for Nintendo platforms because of this.

I NSMB3DS modelled after Super Mario World? Please, for the love of god Nintendo, make it like SMW. With amazing world map, incredible music with some remixes of SMW (castles please!), secret stages, multiple ways, yoshi all the time, the feather, the koopalings and the best control of any 2D mario.

And holy fuck Iwata throwing granades all over the place!

I NSMB3DS modelled after Super Mario World? Please, for the love of god Nintendo, make it like SMW. With amazing world map, incredible music with some remixes of SMW (castles please!), secret stages, multiple ways, yoshi all the time, the feather, the koopalings and the best control of any 2D mario.

And holy fuck Iwata throwing granades all over the place!

This would be my dream come true. Nothing has come close to the world map of SMW. And forget the tanooki tale, it's all about the cape! They brought Yoshi back in the Wii version, it would be nice if this one also brought back all the Yoshi power varieties from SMW.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
This would be my dream come true. Nothing has come close to the world map of SMW.
Seriously.

SMW had a lively world map you reshaped while playing, tons of secret areas, environmental puzzles to get to secret exits, a secret world where you only proceeded by finding secret exits to unlock another secret world. Even a unique secret boss in a ghost house. The game was filled to the brim with secrets.

Give me that (and Yoshi) and I'll be happy.

Disclaimer: I haven't gotten far in SM3DL yet.

I doubt anything very complicated would be worth the costs of localizing now, with the promise of less sales than when they passed over it before. Maybe if they've got more simple things like Stafi sitting around.

Nearly-released stuff like DS Air (or whatever the localised title was going to be) perhaps? Then there are games that were released in one Western territory and not another, that could be shunted over with little cost or effort - Tingle, Glory of Heracles for example.

I think there's material in the DS catalogue that could be dropped to a DD service with little difficulty or cost, beyond perhaps some rating charges, and it would be a nice way to get some of these titles finally localised.

Kunan

can people buy consoles in China yet?
You can, but they're imported from Japan. It's actually illegal for Nintendo to, say, sell a Wii there. There are absolute shit tons of imported PSPs there (likely part of the reason PSP sells so damned well in Japan, even between MH releases).

Top Bottom