• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

Person in front of me is like 35 and writing in a notebook about waiting in line. Earlier​, this person was putting stickers in the notebook in a straight line. Filled two pages. Also, the person in front is still asleep in a sleeping bag. The second person in line has one leg. The third and fourth look scalper-y. The fifth person smells of pot.

Eh. I wonder how many they have.

Person in front of me is like 35 and writing in a notebook about waiting in line. Earlier​, this person was putting stickers in the notebook in a straight line. Filled two pages. Also, the person in front is still asleep in a sleeping bag. The second person in line has one leg. The third and fourth look scalper-y. The fifth person smells of pot.

Eh. I wonder how many they have.

My line had a couple who I absolutely can guarantee were scalpers since I saw them at a Target last week when I arrived too late and they had already bought one. Were pretty fun to talk to this time around though, lol.

Amory

Got to best buy an hour before opening, was gonna wait in line

Lady came out and said all the tickets were handed out 3 hours ago lol

I give up

Fyi according to this Best Buy supervisor in line with me if you're buying the insignia controller there's no need to buy the extension cable. Apparently it already has a longer cable.

Got to best buy an hour before opening, was gonna wait in line

Lady came out and said all the tickets were handed out 3 hours ago lol

I give up

Learned that the hard way last week at Target. For these kinds of things, 2 HOURS before is the minimum you should wait.

Beartruck

Got there at 7:40, doors don't open until 10. I was number 20 in line and they only had 16. The only other best buy in the county had 7. That is 23 nes classics total for a county with a population of 703,000 people. Calling Nintendo's distribution incompetent is an understatement.

Congratulations Nintendo. I will NEVER buy an NES classic, and due to your handling of the situation, I will never buy a SNES mini either. Your brilliant businessmen just burned $120.

Commander Kook

Neo Member
I was excited to see no one in line at mine. Never been first in line for anything really. Almost instantly another 8 people showed up. At that point the manager came out and said they got 2 and they were claimed hours ago....

I really fucking hate Nintendo. Ah well. I guess I better start doing some research on emulation.

Beartruck

I was excited to see no one in line at mine. Never been first in line for anything really. Almost instantly another 8 people showed up. At that point the manager came out and said they got 2 and they were claimed hours ago....

I really fucking hate Nintendo. Ah well. I guess I better start doing some research on emulation.

2?! They might as well just ship the stores an empty box with a note inside that says "Dear Customer, fuck you. Sincerely Nintendo."

Incidentally, I did the math, and with 23 nes classics for my county of 703,000, extrapolated out to the entire rest of the country, that means Nintendo only made 10,000 of these in this shipment, which is basically the least amount possible that they could manufacture. For a hot ticket item that everyone wants. That company's manufacturing department needs to cleaned out from the top to the bottom.

fahr

I'm #9 in line at my local bb. They won't open for 2.5 hours. No one in front of me looks like a Nintendo fan, lol. :). Its moments like this that make me question my life choices. :)

We just saw someone drive up then drive away because they thought the line was too long. They would have been #16 out of 16 available units.

MikeyB

This entire hot mess led me to look into Raspberry Pis.

Isn't this kind of scarcity the exact opposite of what you want to do to avoid a black market?

Petrae

These stories of frustration and heartbreak are amazing. Can't wait for the SNES Mini stories to hit. Emotions will be running much higher then.

The sad thing is that consumers are rewarding Nintendo for this bullshit by continuing to hunt down its near-impossible-to-find hardware, between this and the Switch.

robochimp

These stories of frustration and heartbreak are amazing. Can't wait for the SNES Mini stories to hit. Emotions will be running much higher then.

The sad thing is that consumers are rewarding Nintendo for this bullshit by continuing to hunt down its near-impossible-to-find hardware, between this and the Switch.

I doubt they make a SNES mini, I think they just wanted a holiday season presence.

Congratulations Nintendo. I will NEVER buy an NES classic, and due to your handling of the situation, I will never buy a SNES mini either.

...but not from lack of trying.

Your brilliant businessmen just burned $120.

I mean,... not really. They're still getting the money if the product sells. The money just isn't coming from your pocket.

(Also, i doubt the SNES Classic, if it exists, will cost $60.)

Pyrokai

I was going to go to Best Buy this morning, but I changed my mind. Got up plenty early to get it but I just don't feel like it. I'm incredibly frustrated they didn't make more of these.

Do you think--based on their PR wording--that they will make this again sometime in the future?

Beartruck

...but not from lack of trying.

I mean,... not really. They're still getting the money if the product sells. The money just isn't coming from your pocket.

(Also, i doubt the SNES Classic, if it exists, will cost $60.)

You missed the part where I said I refuse to buy future products.

Also, no they have just flat out lost that money. If you make 5 things and 20 people want to buy it, you are losing out on 15 people worth of money. Except in Nintendo's case they made 10,000 things and 1 million people want to buy it. The fact that they sell out doesn't mean that they aren't punching themselves in the gut.

HCgamer

I changed my mind decided to go a hour before opening arrived at 8:51 am there were 21 people in line I waited until 9:30 whem a employee came out to tell us they only had 16 in stock I came home I forgot to ask how many controllers they had to late now.

So basically Nintendo made the NES classic to give profit to scalpers!!!

No.

To have articles written when:

• Announced
  • Launched
  • Reviewed
  • Sold out
  • eBay prices are high
  • New shipments are made
  • Press releases are made regarding Nintendo's "surprise" of its demand (in the face of preorder data)
  • It's discontinued
  • When its final shipment is made

In other words, this may have been part of Nintendo's marketing budget if anything.

Caja 117

With Nintendo's announcement that it was discontinued *before* the final shipments went out, that's exactly what happened.

Im guessing that anouncement drove the prices to crazy amount like they are now.

No.

To have articles written when:

• Announced
  • Launched
  • Reviewed
  • Sold out
  • eBay prices are high
  • New shipments are made
  • Press releases are made regarding Nintendo's "surprise" of its demand (in the face of preorder data)
  • It's discontinued
  • When its final shipment is made

In other words, this may have been part of Nintendo's marketing budget if anything.

I wasnt suggesting they did it on purpose, rather this product seem to have helped the scalpers more than the fans.

Malice215

My friend is telling me about the angry people who thought they could stroll up at 9:45AM and buy one instead of waiting out in the cold like everyone else. Good luck out there.

Glasshole

Banned
I agree with other posters here - this product did almost nothing except help scalpers make more money, fast. Basically the same as with the Switch.

Where I live, in central europe, these things go for 250 fucking dollars and more. All the people with connections to retail got a lot of them quite easily and instantly put them on ebay. There was almost no chance to get one without connections.

I also tried Amazon Germany, no luck tho.

The Switch has been an almost bigger desaster tho. GF preordered hers as soon as they went online, still has to get one. There is absolutely no fucking reason for that thing to be sold out, you can't tell me these components, especially the Tegra X, are having a shortage.

Fuck you, Nintendo. I've owned every console since the NES, but I won't put up with this shit.

VICTORY!!!
ht4rses.jpg

They both look great together! :D

OmahaG8

Got to my BB 1 hour 15 min early, no line. My excitement turned to sadness as I was told tickets were already given out over an hour ago.

Someone else I knew drove by a different BB around the same time and there were 12 people in line, but I am not near that location, and was hoping they wouldn't be handling the store differently. : (

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Nintendon't give a shit.

This is their typical anti-consumer bullshit.

Anytime I buy Nintendo, I buy used. They're not getting my money.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Used my lunch break to try to go, they just sold it as I got there right at 10. Sounds like they only got 1. Nintendo sucks. I really don't want to buy anything Nintendo right now.

NolbertoS

Do you think--based on their PR wording--that they will make this again sometime in the future?

I would wager that if nintendo re-releases this in the future might e during the holidays. I think they're learnjng like the Disney Vault to release things wvery 5-10 years and keep demand up. Some people on reddit think they'll restock this year like the Amiibo, but the Amiibo was going to be used for 3DS, Wii U and Switch capabilities. The NES Classic was just a throwback to the past and now that Nintendo has everyone's attention even those that keep awearing "I will never buy a Nintendo system again". They'll still buy something down the road.

Fuck. Drove to the one closest to me but they had a sign saying they had none but the next store did. Got there like 5 min after 10 and all 7 were already sold out. Checked Target but no dice. They only had Switches. Boooo

ZeoVGM

Banned
I agree with other posters here - this product did almost nothing except help scalpers make more money, fast. Basically the same as with the Switch.

Where I live, in central europe, these things go for 250 fucking dollars and more. All the people with connections to retail got a lot of them quite easily and instantly put them on ebay. There was almost no chance to get one without connections.

I also tried Amazon Germany, no luck tho.

The Switch has been an almost bigger desaster tho. GF preordered hers as soon as they went online, still has to get one. There is absolutely no fucking reason for that thing to be sold out, you can't tell me these components, especially the Tegra X, are having a shortage.

Fuck you, Nintendo. I've owned every console since the NES, but I won't put up with this shit.

Your rant against the Switch is nonsense, especially saying it did nothing but help scalpers make money.

The NES Mini was a disaster of a stock situation. Switch sold a freaking ton worldwide. There is more to production than "but that component can't be having a shortage!"

They have done smaller shipments since launch and will be doing another this Friday.

Zen Aku

Just got back GAF. Since I got inside intel, I knew ahead of time the Best Buy I went to had only 17. Arrived at 4am and was 12th. So glad I didn't wait till 8am per original plan.

There were almost 40 people in line, a lot of parents with toddlers and babies. I feel bad that they didn't get it but hey, people ahead of them put in the extra effort to show up way earlier. The lady who is #1 was there at 8pm the night before, she told me she buying it for her daughter who is in college several states away where they aren't getting any shipment. What a great mother.

Top Bottom