• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

Barzul

My chances of getting one aren't looking good. They apparently handed out 7 tickets earlier some folks were waiting in line from the night before. Pretty much a Hail Mary waiting in line to see if they got more than the 7 in.

Zen Aku

Most stores are getting between 15-19 from what I'm seeing. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere it might be single digit.

Good luck for the rest of the gaffers on West Coast.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Anyway, this sucks. One of my local stores got 6, another 8. Tickets given out a few hours ago.

I'm not going to pretend to know how the production works here. But I have to assume they could have done better.

Nintendon't give a shit.

This is their typical anti-consumer bullshit.

Anytime I buy Nintendo, I buy used. They're not getting my money.

What's typical about this?

Unless you're counting a couple random limited edition products like the BOTW LA or that Zelda 3DS but those were specifically listed as being limited editions.

Nintendo does not have a history of what they did with the Mini, which is of course ridiculous. But that narrative needs to stop.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Most stores are getting between 15-19 from what I'm seeing. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere it might be single digit.

Good luck for the rest of the gaffers on West Coast.

I'm not in the middle of nowhere and three separate stores in the area got single digits.

Glasshole

Banned
Your rant against the Switch is nonsense, especially saying it did nothing but help scalpers make money.

The NES Mini was a disaster of a stock situation. Switch sold a freaking ton worldwide. There is more to production than "but that component can't be having a shortage!"

They have done smaller shipments since launch and will be doing another this Friday.

Thank you for dismissing my statement as nonsense and providing in-depth reasoning why, other than "there is more to production than", which is the most bullshit vage argument I've ever heard about production scaling in a very, very long time.

You have no idea what the stock situation in my country is like, and how none of the stores have any stock at all, yet the national ebay equivalent is chock-fucking-full with them. But please, judge ahead.

Zen Aku

I'm not in the middle of nowhere and three separate stores in the area got single digits.

I live in the middle of Central Florida. So I guess it's perspective where middle of nowhere is. The #1 lady in my line, her daughter goes to college in Austin, TX and apparently there were any best buy that had shipment there so that's why she had to camp out for her daughter.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

I'm not either, and the one BB in my part of town only got one. There were way more than one person trying to get it. I know they won't, but I really hope Nintendo gets a lot of bad PR for this.

eXMomoj

Indeed. I'm in a large Chicago suburb and the Best Buy near me received 7 apparently.

I already got mine a few weeks back; but good luck to all who are hoping to score one today!

I was lucky and was able to get one which I'll be able to share with my family.

I was 7th in a line that grew to about 30 people (I got there at about 8:00 for a store that opened at 10, tickets handed out at 9). When the guy came out, he said they had gotten 12 units. I grabbed my ticket, went back to work, and then went back to the Best Buy to get my unit.

Mine is a success case, BUT I feel for all those that couldn't get one. And I stand with y'all. This situation is pure bullshit and someone (likely Nintendo) is to blame. And they need to catch some heat. Granted, Nintendo doesn't owe anybody anything... But conversely, nobody owes Nintendo anything.

Icekeep9

12 nes classics at my Best Buy and the tickets to get one were handed out at 9:00am. They had 12 people at 7:00AM. 55,000 size town in Wisconsin. They are also holding Nintendo Switch stock back until Friday.

Been standing in line since 8am, 11 people in front of me, then at the last minute a friend joined this other lady who was standing in front of me. They came out and handed the tickets and only had 12 available. Felt like saying something but figured this wasn't worth getting into an argument over.

Time to go build one from scratch.

Erv

Been standing in line since 8am, 11 people in front of me, then at the last minute a friend joined this other lady who was standing in front of me. They came out and handed the tickets and only had 12 available. Felt like saying something but figured this wasn't worth getting into an argument over.

That's really messed up

Futureman

I cannot believe how popular this thing is... it's really pretty crazy. I'd feel bad for people getting so upset over not getting one but it's not like Nintendo doesn't give you another means of getting the same basic product.

nahlakhai

That's messed up and you should've said something. You spent two hours of your time waiting. I guess people like that will eventually meet their match.

rSpooky

My awesome wife went to try and get one as soon as kids were off to school to surprise me. She was the first one there too. So she thought. Sign on door said all tix were given out already. (8am) and all those people had taken off for now. Supposedly tons of people came after her and got pissed. The news had told everyone at opening. (off course the would still be too late)
So sadly nothing for me.. But I am a lucky guy having a wife that tried that for me. I win afterall!!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Thank you for dismissing my statement as nonsense and providing in-depth reasoning why, other than "there is more to production than", which is the most bullshit vage argument I've ever heard about production scaling in a very, very long time.

You have no idea what the stock situation in my country is like, and how none of the stores have any stock at all, yet the national ebay equivalent is chock-fucking-full with them. But please, judge ahead.

I didn't say the stock situation didn't suck where you live. I don't even know if you live in a large gaming market. But you said the Switch is the same thing as the Mini and that's just silly. They have already done better with stock than the Mini.

Glasshole

Banned
I didn't say the stock situation didn't suck where you live. I don't even know if you live in a large gaming market. But you said the Switch is the same thing as the Mini and that's just silly. They have already done better with stock than the Mini.

You know the situation is terrible when the best thing you can say is "they've done better with stock than the Mini" regarding the Switch, considering one product has mass market appeal, and the other is a rather niche/enthusiast product.

Some people will go to incredible lengths to defend Nintendo.

Zen Aku

When do they start handing out tickets? 7:44 am here, they don't open till 10. Standing in the blazing sun here with no shade :(

Indeed. I'm in a large Chicago suburb and the Best Buy near me received 7 apparently.

I already got mine a few weeks back; but good luck to all who are hoping to score one today!

Some Best Buy in central FL only got 7 or less. I guess they prioritized Best Buy with larger foot traffic. So one near a college over one on a random street. That's just my guess.

NolbertoS

I cannot believe how popular this thing is... it's really pretty crazy. I'd feel bad for people getting so upset over not getting one but it's not like Nintendo doesn't give you another means of getting the same basic product.

Its like the Tickle me Elmo fad in the 1990's. They were handing out tickets for those that wanted one , as people started fighting for them at one point. Surprisingly Elmo came back years later and not many people bought it and it got discontinued. Obviously Toys are different that videogames in taste, but Nintendo will re-release them in the future, cN guarantee that.

OmahaG8

That is the appropriate time to be an "ass".

What's typical about this?

Unless you're counting a couple random limited edition products like the BOTW LA or that Zelda 3DS but those were specifically listed as being limited editions.

Nintendo does not have a history of what they did with the Mini, which is of course ridiculous. But that narrative needs to stop.

Isn't this the exact same thing they did with Amiibos?

ZeoVGM

Banned
You know the situation is terrible when the best thing you can say is "they've done better with stock than the Mini" regarding the Switch, considering one product has mass market appeal, and the other is a rather niche/enthusiast product.

Some people will go to incredible lengths to defend Nintendo.

No, sorry. I've already called Nintendo out on the Mini situation multiple times. I don't give a fuck about "defending" them. Saying the Switch situation is the same as the Mini in terms of only helping scalpers is just false.

Some Targets apparently got Switch today. More will be in stock on Friday. There have been shipments of the console since launch. I'm sorry if it's really bad where you live but they're going to focus on some markets more than others.

It isn't simply a "but that component is easy to make!" situation.

You could say the same about Wii but that thing legitimately sold out constantly, for years, and it was not due to Nintendo holding stock back.

ev0

Was walking to work and saw a tourist family of 4 walking away with 3 from the Nintendo Store...
good luck peeps

Gator86

Nintendon't give a shit.

This is their typical anti-consumer bullshit.

Anytime I buy Nintendo, I buy used. They're not getting my money.

When I do engage with Nintendo products, I usually do it in a way that sends the least money back to Nintendo. I bought a used WiiU, rented all the games for it, and sold it off after.

My local Best Buy (Minnesota) had 16 in stock. I got there at 9am, and they had already given out all there tickets.

The SNES mini better be fucking awesome, and they had better get their supply chain and logistics together.

Checking in from Jacksonville, FL.. We have several best buys in town, I went to what is normally one of the "quieter" stores, got there like 945 am. Only a few people in line, but that's bc they got 16 in and tickets had been handed out at 730. 1 guy had been there since midnight lol.

My bro in Ocala was standing in line but they also had 16 and he missed out too.

I actually managed to snag the last one from Walmart right before a trip like 2 months ago but forgot about it. I wanted one for collection and the other for hacking/playing but I'll just leave it buried for now.

As someone who missed out several times before and grew up on Nintendo (then moved on from n64 to PS1 and never looked back), I'd be pissed if I didn't already have one. But then again, Nintendo's decision making is a big reason why I left in the 1st place. To be fair though, the switch will be the first home console I'll buy from them since N64.

Damn shame so many people missed out though.

Nah man, that's when you call that shit out. Not fair for you to have spent all your time out there waiting only to have someone skip the line at the last minute.

BossRush

Got it. Fair and square. Feels good to have though admittedly I'll probably use it more as a desk ornament...although a personal megaman 2 machine is pretty nice

Dinokill

I actually managed to snag the last one from Walmart right before a trip like 2 months ago but forgot about it. I wanted one for collection and the other for hacking/playing but I'll just leave it buried for now.

giphy.gif

Wow, got to my Best Buy at 6:30 am and only four people were in line. Shortly after 8, an employee handed out twenty tickets, enough for every person. Can't believe it.

Still super shitty of Nintendo to discontinue this when so many people still want it.

Also, wtf is with their first party controllers? They ship one additional controller for every ten NES units. Classic Nintendo.

maxcriden

Wow, got to my Best Buy at 6:30 am and only four people were in line. Shortly after 8, an employee handed out twenty tickets, enough for every person. Can't believe it.

Still super shitty of Nintendo to discontinue this when so many people still want it.

Also, wtf is with their first party controllers? They ship one additional controller for every ten NES units. Classic Nintendo.

Interesting, did that info come from a BB employee? I was under the impression no controllers were shipped since last November.

I feel inclined to drive to Best Buy in a bit but I know it will be pointless. This is the hardest item to get. I've never seen one in-person. I haven't camped out but I've checked Walmart/Target constantly. I give up. I'll just play Shovel Knight on the Switch for retro goodness.

Halabane

most in our area got 7 tickets. went to a BB at a mall that is failing so there was little traffic. got there about 845 and got the fourth ticket. maybe ten showed up all together. very low turn out.

much like the hard to get amiibos that had second production runs, I can see this thing coming back down the road. if the snes rumors are true I would suspect that near the end of that run you will see these again.

I thought about going for a 2nd unit. Have quite a few friends that would have liked one for a present. Figured BB probably only had one shipment and demand would be way up with the discontinuing announcement.

Lines were getting better. When I got mine weeks ago there were 3 of us lined up for 4 of them at Target (thanks brickseek). And we only showed up a half hour to an hour before opening.

But not now. Sounds like as expected, hours of waiting.

I feel inclined to drive to Best Buy in a bit but I know it will be pointless. This is the hardest item to get. I've never seen one in-person. I haven't camped out but I've checked Walmart/Target constantly. I give up. I'll just play Shovel Knight on the Switch for retro goodness.
The ONLY reason I have one is because Target did online preorders right when I happened to be online, which I'm not even sure they were supposed to do since no one else did. Been trying since to secure another for my dad or a friend and no dice. Makes me terrified for the SNES.

Fuck Nintendo.

Top Bottom