• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

The ONLY reason I have one is because Target did online preorders right when I happened to be online, which I'm not even sure they were supposed to do since no one else did. Been trying since to secure another for my dad or a friend and no dice. Makes me terrified for the SNES.

Fuck Nintendo.

I wish I knew the method to the madness but I can only speculate.

F34R

Best Buy in Augusta GA. SMH.

Look, some people got there two hours before opening. We stood in line in the rain ffs. Employees walking in and out, passing by in store, looking at us.

They open the store, and we go to the game section. Guy there said go to CS counter. We get there and they ask if we had our tickets.

Wtf! No one gave any tickets. She said, we did around 7:30 this morning. So, around a half hour before getting there, they gave out the 16 tickets. We stood out there for two hours and no one even came to let us know.

I'm not upset that I didn't get one. It happens. I'm a little ticked that they just didn't let anyone know they didn't have any tickets or they were all claimed, something.

Rant over lol.

Gresham, OR. About 15 people were already in line when I got there at 7:15. A few people came after me and they handed out the guarantee tickets at around 8. Myself and two people after me were able to get our tickets but everyone after us didn't. Several other lines formed since then but were always dispersed after the manager said they didn't have anymore.

Now I'm just waiting for BB to open.

I already had a Classic when online orders were up last month, so I didn't bother getting out of bed. Was lucky I even managed to get one at all.

I did consider heading out this morning for a spare controller, but I wasn't sure they even have any.

EDIT: Anyone have any links where I get order a controller? If possible.

Auburn, AL Best Buy didn't get any and the employees claim it was false advertisement and they actually only got Switches in. There was almost a riot out front.

So either they didn't get any at all (doubtful) or some employees are doing some under-the-table eBay dealings. Either way it's pretty infuriating.

I am never going to sell my NES Classic now. It's become way too precious even though I don't use it as much as others.

Discontinued stuff really makes things seem like they are worth three times what you payed for.

I did manage to snag an extension cable for my controller though at Best Buy today since they were on discount!

wvan13

Got to Best Buy in Missouri at 6 AM. Hung out, by about 8:30 they give out the five tickets they had, told the other five people in line to head home. I head back home until 9:45, then come back to wait for the store to open.

There were like 30 people in line. They came out and told everyone they gave out tickets over an hour ago. Everyone but the five of us left.

Cybernetic Empire

Neo Member
Managed to get third in line at BB at around 8:30 this morning, after initially going to work and realizing that I had intended to try and get one, after seeing a random image of an NES on Facebook... They had 12 tickets total at ours.

I cannot believe how popular this thing is... it's really pretty crazy. I'd feel bad for people getting so upset over not getting one but it's not like Nintendo doesn't give you another means of getting the same basic product.

Are you fucking serious? How does that even excuse the cluster fuck that has happened with this product? The only people who have had a great time with this is scalpers. Everybody else who legit wanted one couldn't get one because Nintendo is fucking stupid. Stop making excuses for them.

pestul

I've only ever wanted one for my Brother-in-law since day one. I have no interest in owning one myself. I would have had one on the first day if the F'ers hadn't of choose to put it up online precisely when I was in a Remembrance Day service.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
SF Bay Area here

Was originally thinking of showing up at 8am but woke up around 7 and got myself there around 7:30. I told myself if there was at least 20 people in line I'd give up as I didn't think they'd have more than that. But there was 17, so I got in line. By 9am, there was an additional 15 people or so behind me. They started handing out the tickets and I was getting nervous because the manager was getting close to my spot in line and it looked like he was running out. He got to me and he had one last ticket and told me I got the last one. I felt realllllly relieved and bad for the people who came after me.

I'm lucky to have gotten one but I'm still pretty ticked at Nintendo for even having people go through this. It's a real shame there's such a demand and they're leaving people out in the cold on this.

Got one! I got the 15th ticket out of 16. I have a slight sunburn now lol. I felt bad for the people behind me :(

Exact same position as you! Mount Laurel, NJ over here.
My dad was the 16th out of 16, but he had some work to do and headed off to a Barnes and Noble to get settled. The guy behind us stuck around even though he knew he was #17, and ended up very happy. :)

I feel bad for my friend who asked me to grab one for him though.

SF Bay Area here

Was originally thinking of showing up at 8am but woke up around 7 and got myself there around 7:30. I told myself if there was at least 20 people in line I'd give up as I didn't think they'd have more than that. But there was 17, so I got in line. By 9am, there was an additional 15 people or so behind me. They started handing out the tickets and I was getting nervous because the manager was getting close to my spot in line and it looked like he was running out. He got to me and he had one last ticket and told me I got the last one. I felt realllllly relieved and bad for the people who came after me.

I'm lucky to have gotten one but I'm still pretty ticked at Nintendo for even having people go through this. It's a real shame there's such a demand and they're leaving people out in the cold on this.

Which BB? harrison? i'll assume same for all BB's in the area. hahaha

Honestly I'm surprised giant mob fist fights over Nintendo products at retail stores hasn't been a headline news story yet.

It seems most of those fights, obviously on Black Friday, are panicked people during Christmastime trying to get something at the last minute with few options left.

Right now, there's 8 months until Christmas, to at least buy it for a stupid price.

Zen Aku

SF Bay Area here

I got there at 4am, the first BB employee, a supervisor came in around 6am, came back outside around 7am to confirm with us that they have 16 tickets (we only had 13 in line at the time) and to tell anyone after 16 that there will be none left. And that tickets will be given out at 9:30am.

Between that time, an employee went out twice and make sure the people that arrived after knew the magic number.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Which BB? harrison? i'll assume same for all BB's in the area. hahaha

East Bay (Union City)

I got there at 4am, the first BB employee, a supervisor came in around 6am, came back outside around 7am to confirm with us that they have 16 tickets (we only had 13 in line at the time) and to tell anyone after 16 that there will be none left. And that tickets will be given out at 9:30am.

Between that time, an employee went out twice and make sure the people that arrived after knew the magic number.

Yeah, that would've been nice had they done that for us. People after me waited at least an hour+ and came away with nothing.

Zen Aku

East Bay (Union City)

Yeah, that would've been nice had they done that for us. People after me waited at least an hour+ and came away with nothing.
Only 2-3 people leave after they knew it was 16. The rest of the 17 people without tickets waited for 2 hours for nothing. Guess they were really banking on hoping someone slip and can't pay.

One guy tried to pay $100 for someone ticket. I was thinking, "bro you're lowballing it."

Aaron D.

It's utterly amazing how the most feelgood nostalgia product in years can end on such a sour note.

Guess I'm just spoiled by digital media as I've been away from anything physical for years. But man, this scarcity is just sad.

I'm not even into console gaming anymore, but the NES Classic was an insta-buy for me 'cause I've such fond memories of the source material. And I can even get behind demand outpacing supply. That's cool, just wait for one to eventually show up on the store shelf.

But to just turn off manufacturing altogether while people are still willing to line up for hours for a chance to get one?

Wowzers.

klkn0Fq.jpg

And then seeing eBay flooded with this crap is just salt in the wound at this point.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the Nintendo board meeting debating this issue.

nahlakhai

SF Bay Area here

Almost same thing happened to me in SD. I set my alarm for 7:30 but I woke up early and got there by 7:30 instead. I counted 8 in front of me making me the 9th. After waiting an hour they came out with tickets and I got #10 which was the last, which means someone was holding a spot. The 10 or so people who arrived after me were outta luck.

PSFan

klkn0Fq.jpg

And then seeing eBay flooded with this crap is just salt in the wound at this point.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the Nintendo board meeting debating this issue.

I really don't get how people are willing to pay $400 for this thing. Almost 7 times the retail price. It just doesn't seem worth that price at all.

I just can't believe he actually sold 85 at that price, when I thought the Classic was overpriced at $60 to begin with.

koss424

Are you fucking serious? How does that even excuse the cluster fuck that has happened with this product? The only people who have had a great time with this is scalpers. Everybody else who legit wanted one couldn't get one because Nintendo is fucking stupid. Stop making excuses for them.

scalpers are a big part of the problem. if Nintendo overproduces to get rid of the appeal to scalpers, they run the risk of products left warehouses. The best consumers can do is not support or purchases from resales over retail price.

Zen Aku

I really don't get how people are willing to pay $400 for this thing. Almost 7 times the retail price. It just doesn't seem worth that price at all.

I just can't believe he actually sold 85 at that price, when I thought the Classic was overpriced at $60 to begin with.
I can't believe he actually had 85 to sell. That's some big ass syndicate level of scalping.

PSFan

I can't believe he actually had 85 to sell. That's some big ass syndicate level of scalping.

I know, it kinda seems fishy to me. How is that number sold controlled? Is it entered by the seller, or does the seller set a quantity to sell for the auction?

Even if he can't change the number himself, couldn't he "sell" to fake accounts he controls, to artificially inflate the number, thus trying to inflate the selling price?

You could buy an original NES and all 30 carts for less than that.

Aaron D.

Just speaking for myself, it'd say it's easily nostalgia combined with brilliant form factor.

Sure, I could just easily emulate all those games on PC. But it really isn't the same.

I could also go all retro and buy an original NES and collect the cartridges but that's not the same either as I don't have the time or space to collect and store all that stuff.

NES Classic was the perfect middle ground between feeling like you're playing the classics via that cool NES controller, combined with modern QoL enhancements like HDMI connectors, instant save states, etc.

As I said, the product is brilliant for anyone who owned the original some 30 years ago. And if you do the math, if you were playing a NES 30 years ago then you're likely an adult today with an adult income. Which is why those scalpers know they can get away with a 7X markup. It's despicable, but nostalgia is a strong drug.

I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons for cutting production. But man, this is one of the bigger bungles in recent memory.

Sanador

Scalpers probably have made more money off the thing then Nintendo have.

Absolutely they have.

But, lets put aside the buying frenzy that has blinded us as consumers. Do you really want a console with so much scarcity that you can't even replace a controller if it dies? We need to call companies on this BS and pass on products like this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Absolutely they have.

But, lets put aside the buying frenzy that has blinded us as consumers. Do you really want a console with so much scarcity that you can't even replace a controller if it dies? We need to call companies on this BS and pass on products like this.
How can you pass when you haven't been given the stock to pass on? 😏

Zen Aku

And Nintendo has their fair share of bad business decisions.

But somehow they're still around. I swear, if Nintendo didn't have the big names series and sometimes they hit it out of the park. They would have been the Circuit City of gaming a while ago.

They either gotta be smarter and become like Best Buy or sooner or later all these bad decisions will catch up to them.

inner-G

Banned
Absolutely they have.

You can use real NES controllers. You just need an adapter.

I have real NES and SNES controllers working on mine, the cords are way longer too.

Quoting myself from the other NESC thread. You may not like it, but Nintendo's probably not as dumb as you think.

So regarding all the comments and general sentiment that Nintendo is anti-consumer, or they don't want money, etc etc. I present an alternate theory.

My wife is Japanese,
so I guess you could say that makes her an expert in honor and shame
and according to her, Japanese companies make limited run products literally all the time, and across various different industries. Limited run potato chip flavors, toys, etc. The reason they do this is literally just to make news headlines, and build brand awareness and discussion.

Consider then that Nintendo started as a card company, and pretty much have the business philosophy of a toy company, rather than an electronics company. We may not like it, especially if you didn't manage to get one, but it definitely makes sense from that perspective. The Classic was never intended to make huge profits- they certainly could have allowed you to buy extra games if that was the case, or charged even more than $60. It was always about consumer awareness, and in that they succeeded.

Luke_Wal

I was second in line at the Best buy in reston only to be told at around 6am that they didn't get any. Flew over to fair lakes and managed to get the fourth ticket.

We were in the same line! I talked to one of your friends who told me that story. That's crazy! I can't believe that happened to Reston. Awesome to know I was in the company of a fellow Gaffer.

Top Bottom