• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo lowers forecast from ¥55B profit to ¥25B loss [3DS 18M->13.5; WiiU 9M->2.8M]

Is it feasible for Nintendo to maintain their handheld model, but abandon traditional home consoles in exchange for providing their services and games exclusively on PCs where the market is currently thriving? They could sell their own PC peripherals for their PC games, make some money off those accessories while providing and guarding their IPs on their own exclusive domain?

Cygnus X-1

Look regardless of the Wii U's tactical errors - here is the reality - the audience is gone. Their primary profit center - the true source of the company's tremendous cash pile - handhelds - are going extinct, and Nintendo is bleeding money trying to keep it alive. That's right - the 3DS - not the Wii U.

The only territory where Nintendo is making a profit on 3DS hardware is Japan right now - and they are most likely going to introduce the 2DS there in February to sustain sales momentum and hit EOY targets, which is going to eat into their weighted margins in that region.

Instead of people understanding this, they are playing make-believe and imagining useless permutations of better online or account systems or more power or evil Iwata and trying desperately to convince themselves that if Nintendo did what THEY wanted, it would restore the company to profitability.

The traditional Nintendo audience - the ones that bought 3 DS'es and 3 copies of NSMB is gone - they don't want to own a console and neither do they want to own a handheld - they want to own an iPad or they want to play Puzzles and Dragons or Angry Birds on their smartphone. They don't want to pay $50 dollars for Mario anymore when they are conditioned and used to paying $1 for a game.

Replacing the CEO would be about killing traditional packaged software and going to where that audience is - not doubling-down on expensive HD games on the PS4/XBO with low gross margins or releasing games for PS3 (terrible idea). It would be utterly insane for Nintendo to bet that their primary audience - children - and their parents would buy a $400/500 dollar console to play HD Mario when that entire audience is already using tablets in the West and most tablets will be capable of outputting HD games in under 12 months.

That said, Nintendo wouldn't do well in the traditional mobile space. They provide a unique experience and hardware is an inherent part of that. That is why as I've said before - the next step for Nintendo is to release a proprietary tablet, with Streetpass and physical controls, with Miiverse, NicoNico (which they recently invested into), Nintendo's eBooks marketplace (which was the subject of a lot of press last year), Nintendo animation (Pikmin anime, Pokemon TV shows), a variety of internally-developed F2P games, and the ability to buy completely traditional games as well, sold for $200 dollars (generating about $80 of profit per device). The tablet market in Japan is still wide open and Apple by no means is dominant yet. At half the price of an iPad Mini Retina, such a device has the potential to outsell the DS and they will never have third party issues ever again as the development tools would be standard Android or iOS development tools.They could do a great job curating content and really ensure that it is a great gaming experience.

That is a device that parents would buy their children. It would have good parental controls, a child-safe social network through Miiverse, and finally, it could be subsidized with a data plan in markets like Japan (in the US subsidies are going extinct and Apple is feeling the pain).

Nintendo could easily erect it as a third pillar, then release a follow-up dedicated handheld device based on the Wii U Game Pad to replace both the 3DS and the Wii U. They'd effectively capture their traditional audience again with a child-friendly tablet that contains lots of F2P games while possibly turning a profit on their ever-shrinking enthusiast gaming audience with a Wii U Game Pad-only hardware.

Iwata has hinted in the past that Nintendo is working on a tablet/smartphone product - it was in the Q&A some time ago - so it's only a matter of time before it gets released.

I admit, I would be very interested in such a device. What do you say sir makes perfectly sense. In a way, Nintendo would keep its independence and be "innovative" at the same time.

Terrible terrible news for the gaming industry

out of this

the WiiU needs a rebrand (abandoning would be prefrable but financially stupid), massive publicity drive
offer several SKU's....one without the Gamepad to drive sales at a low low price

they need to churn out that back catalogue of VC titles, get wii mode fully supported by the WiiU gamepad/gamepad pro - this will allow instant huge back catalogue, and in the interim they can continue the slow upgrade to full WiiU versions......the staff time saved should then be ploughed into releasing Gamecube, N64, Saturn, GBA etc etc VC games and fast not at a rate of 1/2 games a week!

Get highlevel staff to use rival consoles and get used to their online systems so as to avoid the arrogance seen in THAT article about third party devs

MONEYHAT thid parties and get them on board

reduce the intended lifecycle of the WiiU and get preping a new console for 2015

Sack Iwata, and install a management system thats not full of the "we can survice on our own" mantra, and get them to admit mistakes (as iwata does) but then actually follow through on claims to improve and learn - aka game>Wii> WiiU claims they'd learnt about third party support etc but actually did the same each time

stop smoking their own hubris

and this is coming from a huge nintendo fan, 80% of my gaming is currently on my 3DS, i used to be all about nintendo and each gen i've played nintendo less, not because i have grown out of them, but because its becoming a 1st party only system and even then they aren't supporting like they used to

tehrik,
I think you've 100% identified a lot of major issues that people here miss. Getting rid of Iwata definitely means shifting the executive pool more towards Japanese mobile. Based on who Nintendo's investors are and what Iwata's management vision is, you're 100% right there. And I think you're also correct to note that Wii U's failure is small fry compared with structural challenges facing the 3DS and software value perception.

Where we differ is that your strategy seems to have them focusing MORE on Japan while mine favours focusing LESS on Japan. I don't think your strategy is non-viable, though, just not where I'd personally take things. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm also more bullish on them eventually transitioning into a smaller, software-focused role than you are.

I respect your perspective - I think you are spot on about a lot of things. But I just can't get around this really silly notion that somehow Westerners or Americans are progressive and open-minded and will magically transform the company. Sega was killed by Western execs who were giving handouts to their next employer for a job (Peter Moore). One of the biggest regrets Okawa had was giving Sega of America too much power to decide the future of the Saturn - they basically messed it up royally and Sega really had zero control over that organization.

Nintendo is hardly a typical Japanese company. Nintendo is already a very global company. Iwata talks daily to Reggie about what NCL can do to assist in the US market, but the fact that he has given autonomy to Reggie to decide what games get localized or not, is part of the problem. NCL needs to take more direct control over NOA, because otherwise NOA is going to just continue to be a fiefdom that is maximizing its P&L - missing out the strategic objectives of the company - incubating its own Peter Moore.

NCL has already suffered a loss of institutional knowledge in the past.

When Microsoft entered the game in 2000 - they poached away tons of talent at NOA by tripling salaries. While NCL continues to provide a lot of latitude to NOA to make decisions - the idea now is to ensure that NCL employees themselves are aware of what is happening in the US - so that they bring that perspective back to Japan and share the Japanese perspective directly at NOA. This is classic OB and one used by Toyota and other Japanese companies successfully. The idea isn't to exert control, but collaborate to build a single organization. What you propose is really just empirically wrong in building successful product companies.

Also: Nintendo does care deeply about Japan - but that's because it is the source of 80% of their gross profits right now - and their developers are motivated by seeing the local success of the games they work on - it's the one territory where they can charge a premium and tend to keep hardware prices very high. It's also home territory where high-tech tends to lose to great design. It's a territory that has less competition but tremendous potential for profit. It's also the territory that has paid the base dividend needed for management to have the latitude they need to take risks overseas.

Losing Japan would lead to the inevitable decline of their development studios. Something Nintendo can't risk at all - Western gaming development is ultra-expensive and crowded. Nintendo is the star in Japan and attracts the best and brightest at a fraction of the price.

Nintendo's actions have very much been in line with trying to win back their traditional audience in JP, the US and EU - the problem is that audience in the West has moved on and has no interest in coming back to console or handheld gaming. The problems Nintendo is facing are no different than EA, or any number of other companies - many of whom aren't convinced the PS4 or the XBO will get their old audiences back in the long run. Ubisoft is scared to death about the next six months. They all have Western management - many of these Western-managed companies even went completely broke and burned through billions of dollars in the past two gens.

Point being: it isn't about Western or Japanese management - it's about figuring out where the market is going and adapting to it. The whole independence charade is just an excuse for cultural biases and implicitly assumes many demeaning stereotypes.

Nintendo has the most difficult problem because they have a content business that is global, a hardware business that is global, and each territory has different needs and consumption patterns in the family market they compete for.

Tehrik has been a pretty big apologist for Iwata-era NCL management in other threads, so if this is his reaction, you know they're pretty fucked.

Apologist is not the same as being a realist. Why don't you actually read my posts in all those other threads and see my reasons for why I feel Nintendo is a difficult company to run given its design culture - and why Iwata is the best option given his willingness to be collaborative?

Or you know, just make snide remarks in passing.

Nintendo games are too close to android/ios games. People who want casual gaming are moving in that direction. Core gamers have moved on to ps4/xbo. I think Nintendo needs to publish on multiple platforms. People still love their software, they just don't want their one-purpose tonka truck hardware.

Sneds

Their games are great, but lets face the truth: they are platform holder, they won't gain any profit from keeping their idealism. They aren't small developer that lives out from niche audience like Obsidian, or inXile. They must either adapt and change their game, or keep their idealism and go third party. Hardware business isn't cheap, and they should know all the risk.

That's how I feel.

I want Nintendo to thrive and to keep making games. But in order to do so they need to adapt to changes in the market.

RM8

Nintendo games are too close to android/ios games. People who want casual gaming are moving in that direction. Core gamers have moved on to ps4/xbo. I think Nintendo needs to publish on multiple platforms. People still love their software, they just don't want their one-purpose tonka truck hardware.
Eh, I doubt there's much overlap between Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Fire Emblem with Candy Crush Saga which is played by 40 years old ladies. That's why suddenly, somehow Brain Age is outperformed by stuff like Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter on 3DS, in America.

The only answer is a new Metroid title made by Retro with a bonus disc that includes an HD remake of the Prime series.

Also, Yoshi's Island and Pilotwings 64 on the virtual console.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The problem, tehrik-e-insaaf, is that Japan is just... not as important to the rest of the world as it once was. 3DS is fine in Japan, its the rest of the planet where the real troubles arise.

Pretending Nintendo is a global company is just ignoring that the destruction of the old NOA was when they lost that western market for good. Away went the 4 player FPS, the third parties, the whole shibang. Now you have a puppet company that has someone like Reggie trotted out to try and pretend X or whatever is a big deal to the western market while his peers are pushing Titanfall and The Last of Us. Did he have the autonomy to buy a third party dev at any point if he thought it wise? Eurocom would have been a good buy, Bizarre, some THQ fallouts and so on. Could he have set up a porthouse to ensure stuff like GTAV made WiiU? Nope, he isn't given that kind of control of the purse strings. Is Iwata aware of startup tech like Oculus and how that sort of outfit works in the world of today? Thats why they need a more western and globalised body of control to run alongside their Japanese endeavours.

Also, I believe it was Sega Japan that screwed the pooch on Saturn. Sega America wanted them to go far more the PowerVR route. Hell, the Dreamcast getting into bed with Windows and being a far friendlier console almost gave it a chance to succeed. Xbox 1 was essentially the Dreamcast 2 in the market, but with MS's pockets to actually push it and carve out a tidy place in the market.

sörine

Banned
And as I said, Samsung needs no Nintendo help with hardware. Theres no partnership there beyond software, and thats when Nintendo finally just accepts theyre out of the hardware game because they cant compete. Nintendo couldn't "control" Samsung at this point. Nintendo Playstation moves and similar are just not on the table.
NEC didn't need Hudson either but that's not really what it's about. If a partnership is the only terms Nintendo will agree too for a gaming focused tablet/phone then that's what their partner will need to agree to as well. Nintendo's going to want to be involved in developing architecture and infastructure and they're not going to want to pay out 30% off the top in royalties. It simply doesn't benefit them long term.

I can see a company like Samsung agreeing to those terms but not a company like Microsoft, Sony or Apple. And not that Samsung needs to either, but it would be a good opportunity for them in a space they presenting have little to no presence. It was the same for NEC and Sony back in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Guys - there is zero reason why Nintendo would partner with Samsung, and there is zero reason why Samsung would partner with Nintendo.

Nintendo isn't in need of hardware support - they need a fundamental shift in their product focus for an audience that doesn't want to own consoles or a handheld but could see themselves owning a tablet.

Home consoles are dying or dead for Nintendo, and handhelds are going extinct. The former is understandable - but the latter is the death nail. Nintendo needs to come up with something new that is contemporary and fits a particular pattern of ownership.

Nintendo is making telegraphs when their audience is using telephones. Working on Sony's telegraph or Microsoft's telegraph or Samsung's telegraph isn't going to help when their audience is using telephones.

Shengar

That's how I feel.

I want Nintendo to thrive and to keep making games. But in order to do so they need to adapt to changes in the market.
Yeah, me too. I actually rather see them go third party than went mobile. There are so much restriction on (popular) gaming design due to the nature of smartphone. Plus, the market is already crowded with many competitor. Nintendo don't have a chance unless they partnered with someone.

If anything, the appalling tie-rate and software sales prove that parents are buying it for their kids, then baulking at the software prices and just handing their kid their phone when they want a different game to play.

I'm not even sure it gets to the point of balking at prices. I think parents buy their kid a 3DS and the specific game they want, and unless the kid specifically asks for another game - and I mean "Hey the new Pokemon is coming out, can I please please get it", not "oh, we're in the game section, can I get something?", no further purchases are even considered.

What I mean is, I think impulse purchases are way, way down. And though that is indeed due to free or very cheap phone games, it's not necessarily even primarily a function of price, but of convenience.

QaaQer

I'll never understand why people think it's a good idea for Nintendo to make a phone or a tablet. I do understand that they could make some money from iOS and Android, but making their own hardware? On a market where your device becomes obsolete after one year? Where only a couple of brands make it big? Where specs DO matter? Lol, people. The fact that WiiU is bombing hard doesn't mean literally any other idea is a better idea.

and that is without mentioning the services, UI, and OS development.

MercuryLS

Banned
Eh, I doubt there's much overlap between Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Fire Emblem with Candy Crush Saga which is played by 40 years old ladies. That's why suddenly, somehow Brain Age is outperformed by stuff like Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter on 3DS, in America.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJwSAru1ZyA#t=94

A decent Zelda clone that has been doing really well on iOS. The reviews for this game mostly "finally, a Zelda-like game for iOS". The market is changing and leaving Nintendo behind. The attention is on phones/tablets.

QaaQer

I still csnt believe their e3 last year...nothing and I mean nothing would have sold anyone on a Wii U. I cant believe their flagship Mario was a 4 player 3D land...

This also is important. All their big games have revolved around local multilayer. Very few people can do that. Building a system and a library based on that is just headshakingly bizarre.

I know there are people who love 3dW and say it is the best Mario game, but that game does not sell consoles nor is it ever going to be in GOAT lists like 64/Galaxy.

Cygnus X-1

I respect your perspective - I think you are spot on about a lot of things. But I just can't get around this really silly notion that somehow Westerners or Americans are progressive and open-minded and will magically transform the company. Sega was killed by Western execs who were giving handouts to their next employer for a job (Peter Moore). One of the biggest regrets Okawa had was giving Sega of America too much power to decide the future of the Saturn - they basically messed it up royally and Sega really had zero control over that organization.

Nintendo is hardly a typical Japanese company. Nintendo is already a very global company. Iwata talks daily to Reggie about what NCL can do to assist in the US market, but the fact that he has given autonomy to Reggie to decide what games get localized or not, is part of the problem. NCL needs to take more direct control over NOA, because otherwise NOA is going to just continue to be a fiefdom that is maximizing its P&L - missing out the strategic objectives of the company - incubating its own Peter Moore.

NCL has already suffered a loss of institutional knowledge in the past.

When Microsoft entered the game in 2000 - they poached away tons of talent at NOA by tripling salaries. While NCL continues to provide a lot of latitude to NOA to make decisions - the idea now is to ensure that NCL employees themselves are aware of what is happening in the US - so that they bring that perspective back to Japan and share the Japanese perspective directly at NOA. This is classic OB and one used by Toyota and other Japanese companies successfully. The idea isn't to exert control, but collaborate to build a single organization. What you propose is really just empirically wrong in building successful product companies.

Also: Nintendo does care deeply about Japan - but that's because it is the source of 80% of their gross profits right now - and their developers are motivated by seeing the local success of the games they work on - it's the one territory where they can charge a premium and tend to keep hardware prices very high. It's also home territory where high-tech tends to lose to great design. It's a territory that has less competition but tremendous potential for profit. It's also the territory that has paid the base dividend needed for management to have the latitude they need to take risks overseas.

Losing Japan would lead to the inevitable decline of their development studios. Something Nintendo can't risk at all - Western gaming development is ultra-expensive and crowded. Nintendo is the star in Japan and attracts the best and brightest at a fraction of the price.

Nintendo's actions have very much been in line with trying to win back their traditional audience in JP, the US and EU - the problem is that audience in the West has moved on and has no interest in coming back to console or handheld gaming. The problems Nintendo is facing are no different than EA, or any number of other companies - many of whom aren't convinced the PS4 or the XBO will get their old audiences back in the long run. Ubisoft is scared to death about the next six months. They all have Western management - many of these Western-managed companies even went completely broke and burned through billions of dollars in the past two gens.

Point being: it isn't about Western or Japanese management - it's about figuring out where the market is going and adapting to it. The whole independence charade is just an excuse for cultural biases and implicitly assumes many demeaning stereotypes.

Nintendo has the most difficult problem because they have a content business that is global, a hardware business that is global, and each territory has different needs and consumption patterns in the family market they compete for.

Apologist is not the same as being a realist. Why don't you actually read my posts in all those other threads and see my reasons for why I feel Nintendo is a difficult company to run given its design culture - and why Iwata is the best option given his willingness to be collaborative?

Or you know, just make snide remarks in passing.

Reading your posts is amazing. So insightful. I would really like to have a open debate on the industry with you - so informative.

Your analysis is impressive and covers all topics. Do you have a view on Nintendo-s home systems business? Do you think Wii U is destined to be their last home console?

I personally think that great idea can drive sales. People forget that Smartphone's audience is there, but this doesn't imply that they will be there forever. the mass market moves in function of the most trendy and innovative products. This is the reason why Wii was so, so successful - the hype behind was incredible and the job Nintendo did as that time was remarkable. Wii U on the other hand is just another tablet system - cannot stand out from the crowd and this is one of the reasons why the mass audience is not paying any attention to it.

Cygnus X-1

Guys - there is zero reason why Nintendo would partner with Samsung, and there is zero reason why Samsung would partner with Nintendo.

Nintendo isn't in need of hardware support - they need a fundamental shift in their product focus for an audience that doesn't want to own consoles or a handheld but could see themselves owning a tablet.

Home consoles are dying or dead for Nintendo, and handhelds are going extinct. The former is understandable - but the latter is the death nail. Nintendo needs to come up with something new that is contemporary and fits a particular pattern of ownership.

Nintendo is making telegraphs when their audience is using telephones. Working on Sony's telegraph or Microsoft's telegraph or Samsung's telegraph isn't going to help when their audience is using telephones.

You answered my question here. Thank you. But if you want to elaborate more, I would care to listen.

Also: Nintendo does care deeply about Japan - but that's because it is the source of 80% of their gross profits right now.

That's circular logic. It's their best market because they specifically marginalized or outright ignored everywhere else. The US was their best market for many years, and not by a little bit, but they almost seemed to resent that, and arguably sabotaged it deliberately.

Not surprising. I love Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD, but that's all the system has. It was built to play Mario and Zelda games. The audience they are targeting is tiny, and so their sales are going to be abysmal. Throw in the ludicrous price tag, and you can see why a 500 dollar machine is going to end up obliterating it in sales.

Nintendo also failed to recognize that casuals are completely unreliable and would not buy a Wii U, just because they bought a Wii.

SmokyDave

Check this out:

A decent Zelda clone that has been doing really well on iOS. The reviews for this game mostly "finally, a Zelda-like game for iOS". The market is changing and leaving Nintendo behind. The attention is on phones/tablets.
Doing really well is an understatement. They recouped their dev costs in the first week.

I feel compelled to mention that the game is not free to play and has no micro transactions.

Shengar

Check this out:

If only half of mobile games are like this, they wouldn't be too different from traditional handheld game. But the reality is, everyone chasing the Candy Crush money.

Wolfie5

2.8 Million in one year! I mean wow! I never expected Wii U to sell well,but really did not see it doing this badly. It's worse than Gamecube.

They really ticked all the wrong boxes with this one. On one hand I think they should ride it out for another 3-4 years, so no customer will think that Nintendo abandons their console no matter what. Goodwill is important.
However if nobody is buying their hardware and software in 1-2 more years, they should consider releasing a new console. A big BUT here though, just releasing a new console won't do. They need to tick all the right boxes from the start. Software(1st and 3rd party), online stuff, hardware, etc. The whole package.

Now that I think about it, unless they have something revolutionary, there is no way they can release a new console within 2 years. Unless they want another Gamecube, they need to ride this out and try to make best of the situation.

And these are great examples of why you never listen to gamers about business, particularly when they're emotionally invested:

The Wii U is going to have an installed userbase over 8m before the end of the year imo, the PS4 and One will both be under 2m and hopefully all this talk of the Wii U being 'd00med' will stop.

I can't see why not. 1m between now and 31st October and 3-4m between 1st November and 31st December is very doable if Nintendo can get enough stock on shelves. It's all in the software at the end of the day.

Feel free to mock me if it doesn't happen but I was very confident of this happening even before the price cut. Sales of 3-4m over the Christmas period really isn't a stretch for a console, particularly when that Christmas period includes Black Friday in the States.

Bold prediction: Wii U moves more hardware worldwide this Holiday than Xbone and PS4. Major turnaround? Not necessarily, but it'll do well enough to earn some more respect on here and kill the "it's a dead system" stigma.

It was easy to see this coming for months for anyone paying attention to sales data. It was a farce that Nintendo didn't adjust its sales forecasts until now, because simple math made it clear as the year wound down that they simply could not meet those forecasts.

That's circular logic. It's their best market because they specifically marginalized or outright ignored everywhere else. The US was their best market for many years, and not by a little bit, but they almost seemed to resent that, and arguably sabotaged it deliberately.

Read the rest of the sentence you picked a snippet from - it's more than just gross profits right now, and you are a bit delusional if you think Nintendo purposely killed their US market. Where do you people get this stuff? It's like mass delusion.

Just because Nintendo doesn't make games and target their consoles for 15 year old boys who want to shoot stuff doesn't mean they resent the "West" or something silly. They also don't put develop hentai games and target Otakus in Japan.

That's why they are considered "family friendly" - there is nothing hateful towards Americans or Europeans about it.

I'm not saying that Nintendo needs to partner with Samsung, in the sense of Samsung doing the Nintendo hardware.

I mean that Nintendo should make their OWN Android device, a cheap product to play their own software, while making that software avaliable to other Android devices. You still have a hardware with the Nintendo brand that can play out of the box their games. While they can work with Samsung (and others) to create Nintendo designed controllers for phones and their own market pre-installed.

Is clearly that Samsung is interested (they're working on their own) but a branded Nintendo one which comes with their own market pre-installed would certainly work way better than their own Samsung one. They would access to a huge public, while still having a portable dedicated gaming machine. That way they can reach all these 2 markets and integrate them, instead of having a japanese centric product for 200$ that would never translate well in the west.

They can clam themselves in Japan, or try to work with the changing market conditions in the west and exploit it.

jcm

We all knew this was coming, but it's really bad. I can't believe I missed all of the action in this thread and the NPD thread too. I really need to quit my job and devote myself full time to GAF sales-age.

I don't even view 2.9 million as a realistic sales target. Nintendo wasn't competing with the Xbox One and PS4 last year. Throw in a price cut for the 360 and PS3, and you can say good night to the Wii U.

Road

Who the fuck is Iwata? Probably some analyst who knows fuck all about anything like that Michael Patcher.

Nintendo is doing fine. 3DS is a beast, a powerhouse, it outsells the Vita 10 to 1. And Wii U was just recently released, we absolutely cannot call it a failure yet. It's too soon. We have to wait at least another 3 years. It just had its best sales in both Japan and US, lololol at anyone who thinks it is dead.

zewone

Who the fuck is Iwata? Probably some analyst who knows fuck all about anything like that Michael Patcher.

Nintendo is doing fine. 3DS is a beast, a powerhouse, it outsells the Vita 10 to 1. And Wii U was just recently released, we absolutely cannot call it a failure yet. It's too soon. We have to wait at least another 3 years. It just had its best sales in both Japan and US, lololol at anyone who thinks it is dead.

I think this is a troll/joke post, but I"m not sure...

I think Nintendo's problem now is that the "casual/child" and "hardcore/adult" parts of the gaming market have diverged and they're in the middle, failing to attract enough people from either. Wii U lacks the horsepower and by extension third-party support necessary to become an attractive option for the Playstation/Xbox crowd, while both it and 3DS are too expensive and dedicated to draw the casual crowd that has become accustomed to $0-5 games that run on multipurpose hardware.

They don't have to go all in on one crowd, on the contrary, I think the best option would be to go in both directions at once and make both cheap casual games and expensive hardcore games. Doing this on other peoples' hardware would be the path of least resistance, but I can see them going down this path with their own hardware as well.

georly

The Wii was a toy. And like most toys it was a huge hit for a short amount of time, then pretty much died as consumers moved on to better options for entertainment.

The NES and SNES were toys too. People gave them to their kids for christmas, and it spawned generations of nintendo fans. Nintendo knows that toys sell well.

Culex

Banned
The Wii was a toy. And like most toys it was a huge hit for a short amount of time, then pretty much died as consumers moved on to better options for entertainment.

If you consider outselling the PS3 and 360 for THREE consecutive calendar years "short", then I agree with you

Jomjom

Banned

I hope when iwata resigns you take his place. "Hey guys just wait another 3 years OK?" Hope you are tweeting iwata that sound business strategy right now. Maybe it'll help him keep his job.

The fact that these projections had to get scaled down this dramatically when we all knew they were BS is a testament to how out of touch Nintendo is with making an appealing product.

I won't pretend to know how these numbers really affect Nintendo for the near future, nor will I venture a guess at how much they have hoarded in their bank. Even worse, I can't seem to find a comparison to any other company for reference. For example, I know their financial siuation isn't THQ grim, but that's a whole other level. THQ was a publisher, as opposed to a dev, publisher, and console manufacturer such as Nintendo is. Really hard for me to gauge the severity of the situation.

Top Bottom