• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo lowers forecast from ¥55B profit to ¥25B loss [3DS 18M->13.5; WiiU 9M->2.8M]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Question not pertaining to the quote

Always appreciate your posts Tehrik, as a previous Nintendo investor myself (sold last week), I am shocked by the announced forecasts.

What are your predictions for the investors meeting?

Furthermore, always wondered what the Pokemon Company's annual profits, I have searched for that info, sadly no results.

In addition, hypothetically in order to limit their losses, wouldn't Nintendo be better off acquiring the remaining percentage of the Pokemon Company, become a Nintendo subsidiary and reap the rewards (publishing revenue, licensed goods, tv, etc.).

Who the fuck is Iwata? Probably some analyst who knows fuck all about anything like that Michael Patcher.

Nintendo is doing fine. 3DS is a beast, a powerhouse, it outsells the Vita 10 to 1. And Wii U was just recently released, we absolutely cannot call it a failure yet. It's too soon. We have to wait at least another 3 years. It just had its best sales in both Japan and US, lololol at anyone who thinks it is dead.

10/10 post, would read again

Shares down a whopping 16%!! Wowza

I never understood why it went up in the first place, maybe shareholders are equally delusional as Nintendo

Yeah, they could very well miss that number as well. What are European and Australian sales at? Barely a blip on the radar?

Getting the Wii mini into China might be Nintendo's best bet in the coming year. At least they made it the right color.

wait is it red :p

I doubt the WiiU will sell 2.8 in that period, to be honest.

Yeah, they could easily miss that number as well. Cranky ain't gonna push much in Feb. What are European and Australian sales at? Barely a blip on the radar?

Getting the Wii mini into China might be Nintendo's best bet in the coming year. At least they made it the right color.

HardRojo

Who the fuck is Iwata? Probably some analyst who knows fuck all about anything like that Michael Patcher.

Nintendo is doing fine. 3DS is a beast, a powerhouse, it outsells the Vita 10 to 1. And Wii U was just recently released, we absolutely cannot call it a failure yet. It's too soon. We have to wait at least another 3 years. It just had its best sales in both Japan and US, lololol at anyone who thinks it is dead.

Hey! Because of you everyone looked at me weirdly when I laughed at work!

The only thing keeping stock up is Nintendo commenting that they may be changing business focus, and comments about mobile.

The mobile rumor has given Nintendo sporadic boosts for the last couple months.

Please god let me wake up one day to a Nintendo has gone third party thread.

I feel it getting more and more real by the day.

Zelda on my PC, Mario on my Xbone, Pokemans on my iPhone. GOD DAMN.

How's sonic doing on all those devices?

Well Xbox 360 instead of XB1 but you get my point

stuminus3

I'm not smart enough to engage in some of the surprisingly great discussion going on in this thread, and I'm far too depressed about some actual real life things to let the fate of a videogame company bother me, but here's a catchy little pick me up for Iwata and all his followers. Even if it doesn't help, I hope it gets you tapping your toes!

Yazz - The Only Way Is Up

Neff

Conventional wisdom is that panic mode Nintendo is the best Nintendo. Guess we'll get a chance to find out.

Straight up myth. The one time Nintendo went into panic mode, they gave us Mario Sunshine and an unfinished Zelda. I'll take unforthcoming, patient Nintendo anyday.

The only thing keeping stock up is Nintendo commenting that they may be changing business focus, and comments about mobile.

The mobile rumor has given Nintendo sporadic boosts for the last couple months.

It's a glimmer of hope. At least it's better than "We are staying the course. Please understand." Shares would have plummeted with that kind of arrogance.

Maedhros

therockclapping.gif

Straight up myth. The one time Nintendo went into panic mode, they gave us Mario Sunshine and an unfinished Zelda. I'll take unforthcoming, patient Nintendo anyday.

"Best Nintendo" is the Nintendo that gives us crazy new shit we've never seen before, be it the original SMB, Mario 64, the DS, or the Wii controller, to name some examples. Being in "panic mode" can inspire them to do that, or it can make them want to play it safe, which seems to be what they're doing now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is the most perfectly well-formed troll post I've ever seen. I'm in awe. You even used all the right buzz-words and typoed Pachter's name. It's so perfect. Like a 200 carat flawless diamond. If you just had, like, an X avatar or something you'd have 200 people falling for it right now.

Yep I worry what would happen to Nintendo's IPs if they went 3rd party. It's a possibility just not one I expect would have a great long-term outcome on the quality level of their software offerings

Quality going down because of moving to third party is a myth. Just because it happened to Sega doesn't mean it happens to all.

Sega's first couple of post-Dreamcast years were great. Then they turned to shit because they were reorganizing and killing their best dev houses, and changed focus to fledgling American studios. The same wouldn't happen to everyone, just companies being run by idiots. Like Sega

AzaK

Guys - there is zero reason why Nintendo would partner with Samsung, and there is zero reason why Samsung would partner with Nintendo.

Nintendo isn't in need of hardware support - they need a fundamental shift in their product focus for an audience that doesn't want to own consoles or a handheld but could see themselves owning a tablet.

Home consoles are dying or dead for Nintendo, and handhelds are going extinct. The former is understandable - but the latter is the death nail. Nintendo needs to come up with something new that is contemporary and fits a particular pattern of ownership.

Nintendo is making telegraphs when their audience is using telephones. Working on Sony's telegraph or Microsoft's telegraph or Samsung's telegraph isn't going to help when their audience is using telephones.
You seem to be implying that the console business for everyone is dying. Is that your take? I personally still see a market for high end machines delivering top experiences. I however do think it'd be hard for Nintendo to be a part of that because they would have to change their approach to gaming considerably, and they would be up against two big players.

It just feels like Nintendo has been slowly pushed out of that space since PS1 appeared. They did well with Wii and need something like that again to survive in that space at all. Your tablet idea could be that although I'm not so convinced. If parents are using iPhones and iPads, why would they buy a completely different system for their children? They couldn't share games, movies or music with them. It'd have to be throwaway pricing like a toy.

This is the most perfectly well-formed troll post I've ever seen. I'm in awe. You even used all the right buzz-words and typoed Pachter's name. It's so perfect. Like a 200 carat flawless diamond. If you just had, like, an X avatar or something you'd have 200 people falling for it right now.
My theory is that Road has been possessed by the ghost of gaghiddy...

I can't wait to pick up a WiiU in the landfill next to E.T.

LMAO, ice cold, man.

Either way, Iwata or not, Nintendo is always the defacto winner! They don't compete, you see.

Couldn't have made a better post, cheers!

It's a glimmer of hope. At least it's better than "We are staying the course. Please understand." Shares would have plummeted with that kind of arrogance.
I'm sadly expecting this to be the case come the full results/shareholder meeting.

I hate a lot of Nintendo's recent/current decisions, but I grew up playing their games and ultimately don't wish them ill favour. That said...fix up, Nintendo.

I feel so bad for Nintendo. They make the very best video games on the planet and no one wants to buy them. The direction of the entire industry pretty much sucks right now.

Well that's the direction the gaming industry is taking for the past 15+ years so I am not so surprised ( the Wii was an illusion) ... SNK, SEGA and now Nintendo is next. For different reasons, but the type of games those companies were basing their success on, are niche games today and have a very small public , not enough to justify a dedicated system.

Quality going down because of moving to third party is a myth. Just because it happened to Sega doesn't mean it happens to all.

Sega's first couple of post-Dreamcast years were great. Then they turned to shit because they were reorganizing and killing their best dev houses, and changed focus to fledgling American studios. The same wouldn't happen to everyone, just companies being run by idiots. Like Sega

Do you honestly believe the leadership and ideologies that make Nintendo Nintendo would be exactly the same if they went 3rd Party? I worry they would adopt the same approach most major 3rd party developers/publishers have been adopting as of late and try to generalize their product to appeal to more gamers, try to update their products with more western development approaches. While Nintendo's approach to making games being unchanged going 3rd party is a possibility, I don't think it's a very likely one.

You seem to be implying that the console business for everyone is dying. Is that your take? I personally still see a market for high end machines delivering top experiences. I however do think it'd be hard for Nintendo to be a part of that because they would have to change their approach to gaming considerably, and they would be up against two big players.

It just feels like Nintendo has been slowly pushed out of that space since PS1 appeared. They did well with Wii and need something like that again to survive in that space at all. Your tablet idea could be that although I'm not so convinced. If parents are using iPhones and iPads, why would they buy a completely different system for their children? They couldn't share games, movies or music with them. It'd have to be throwaway pricing like a toy.

Not to mention that a Nintendo tablet competing directly with iOS/Android tablets would require a quantum leap forward in services, OS, and infrastructure, even more so than new gaming-focused hardware would demand.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
How in the hell do you go from 9m to 2.8m? That's a huge decline. Who came up with 9m in the first place? Isnt that basically lying to stock holders?

Opiate

Brutal markdowns. Rapidly approaching "change, or else" territory, and their board is crammed with conservative old men.

How in the hell do you go from 9m to 2.8m? That's a huge decline. Who came up with 9m in the first place? Isnt that basically lying to stock holders?

Management announced the original 9 million (12.45 million LTD) fiscal year forecast in late April 2013, a time where they honestly believed the console would pick up in 2H.

This forecast was not revised until the last possible moment to emphasize confidence in the reigning corporate strategy for the 2013 Holiday Season.

Do you honestly believe the leadership and ideologies that make Nintendo Nintendo would be exactly the same if they went 3rd Party? I worry they would adopt the same approach most major 3rd party developers/publishers have been adopting as of late and try to generalize their product to appeal to more gamers, try to update their products with more western development approaches. While Nintendo's approach to making games being unchanged going 3rd party is a possibility, I don't think it's a very likely one.

They'd be forced to either way. I don't see the problem.

Brutal markdowns. Rapidly approaching "change, or else" territory, and their board is crammed with conservative old men.

That why when I heard Iwata saying all these things about a new "business structure" I find it hard to believe that with the same board that led Nintendo to this point, they will make the appropiate changes to turn the situation.

I don't think they have the vision to do so.

rjinaz

Yep, Nintendo needs to work on a little something called diversity. You know, have different kinds of ideas and perspectives, those kinds of things.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That why when I heard Iwata saying all these things about a new "business structure" I find it hard to believe that with the same board that led Nintendo to this point, they will make the appropiate changes to turn the situation.

I don't think they have the vision to do so.

In all honesty, I think this time they mean it. In the sense: for the first time, Iwata himself stated that they will change radically. And stated that their current way of doing things (in the home market, looking at the prices selected) don't work. And saying they're looking for mobile as a tool for helping their console sales, while recognising doing "Mario on iOS! $$$$!" is not what to do. It's different from what happened in the last quarters, it's a direct statement that they will change their business structure. They already started changing their development structure, but this is one of the other aspects they need to address. Hearing, for the first time, something like that from the man himself gives me a bit of hope. Hopefully, he has good plans, this time.

BKK

Maybe the plan is to sink the company's public worth so much that such a plan would actually work. :p

Clearly their goal is to lower their worth as much as possible and buy everything.

Sorry for not reading through all 17 pages of this, and I'm sure these comments were meant in jest, so maybe this has been addressed, but is this even (legally) possible?

I'm not an economist, and not a physicist either, although I do take a keen interest in the latter.

Anyway, to me that sounds like the economics equivalent of breaking the laws of thermodynamics, i.e., getting something for nothing.

Maybe someone with an economics background can explain to me why this is or is not possible. If that has already been posted then a link to that post would be appreciated.

Prax

Is it time to buy shares? :eek:

Nintendo's my fave, so I only hope good for them, but I've always wanted to have the opportunity to invest too.. and that means their shares need to dive a bit. >__>

Personally, I am not sure what the answer would be besides focusing more on the dudebro or technophile demographic with less focus on being family-appropriate, but I'm not sure if I want another console/mindset similar to Sony and Microsoft.

QaaQer

Nintendo's my fave, so I only hope good for them, but I've always wanted to have the opportunity to invest too.. and that means their shares need to dive a bit. >__>

Personally, I am not sure what the answer would be besides focusing more on the dudebro or technophile demographic with less focus on being family-appropriate, but I'm not sure if I want another console/mindset similar to Sony and Microsoft.

It's a gamble. Personally, I'm not big on Japanese CE firms who compete globally.

I would wait longer before buying. Things should tank even more until the next investor's meeting, whenever that is.

Top Bottom