• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I've heard this underdog comment.
I'm just fucking with people.

I think people are jumping on the AMD train, partly because they're worried about the NX not getting 3rd party support because Nvidia don't make exactly the same chip as what's in the PS4/XB1/Scorpio/Neo. And they wanted a powerful home console, and what they're hearing is Nvidia Tegra.

If EG said Nvidia Geforce 1060/1070, you wouldn't see anti-vaxxer levels of denial floating around.

ggx2ac

I'm just fucking with people.

I think people are jumping on the AMD train, partly because they're worried about the NX not getting 3rd party support because Nvidia don't make exactly the same chip as what's in the PS4/XB1/Scorpio/Neo. And they wanted a powerful home console, and what they're hearing is Nvidia Tegra.

If EG said Nvidia Geforce 1060/1070, you wouldn't see anti-vaxxer levels of denial floating around.

As I said a few pages ago and now I'm even more convinced, it's because of buzzwords.

Mark Cerny managed to convince people that an architecture of a relatively weak console CPU is the sole determinant of what gives the PS4 it's power and AAA third party support.

It sounds ridiculous but I've seen people still mention x86 as the reason that the NX needs to be powerful.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If we don't get a reveal date by the end of August, should we bail on the notion of a 2016 reveal and Q1 2017 release?

That's my biggest fear, further delays with only scrapes of legit information and more tech-related cuckoo speculation to fill the void.

Edit: to clarify, I have no inside information on what the NX will be and I am not saying the subject of this thread is incorrect. I'm just ready to hear something concrete.

ekim

If we don't get a reveal date by the end of August, should we bail on the notion of a 2016 reveal and Q1 2017 release?

That's my biggest fear, further delays with only scrapes of legit information and more tech-related cuckoo speculation to fill the void.

Wasn't there a rumored September reveal?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wasn't there a rumored September reveal?

Thats been the speculation since E3, but to my knowledge, only Eurogamer has specifically said anything about a September reveal.

And that John Harker asked everyone who would reveal first, Sony or Nintendo?

That's definitely telling a lot about what's happening.

Do you mind providing a link to where he said that? I did a google search but couldn't find anything. That would ease my worries quite a bit.

So... AMD involved in SCD that adds GC/Wii/U BC?

Otherwise... what would be the point?

I honestly think they could substitute the AMD graphics chip for an Nvidia one and still manage to get backwards compatibility working on the GPU side of things. But they would still need a PowerPC CPU in the SCD (I still think of the Sega CD when I type that). The only other option for Wii-U (and possibly Wii) BC would be to go the Microsoft route and try to use a combination of a compatibility layer (for the GPU) and emulation for the CPU to make it work. But then they would have to customize each game individually to get it to work. Another idea would be to go the cloud route and have the games running off of external servers.

I have a prediction that the NX may have a Tegra in the handheld portion of the machine, but the dock/ SCD may have a pascal in it for HD gaming on a TV. Though I may also be off base with that as I have not read anything in this thread beyond the last page. So I am probably wrong, but that is my prediction.

ggx2ac

I have a prediction that the NX may have a Tegra in the handheld portion of the machine, but the dock/ SCD may have a pascal in it for HD gaming on a TV. Though I may also be off base with that as I have not read anything in this thread beyond the last page. So I am probably wrong, but that is my prediction.

Well for starters, Pascal is an architecture and it's rumoured the Tegra customised for NX will use Pascal.

So maybe you mean the SCD will use a GeForce?

Well for starters, Pascal is an architecture and it's rumoured the Tegra customised for NX will use Pascal.

So maybe you mean the SCD will use a GeForce?

Oh that's right. I wasn't thinking that they could just develop a new Tegra chip with a Pascal GPU housed in it. I was thinking it would be modified off the shelf Tegra in the handheld unit with an additional Pascal GPU in the SCD.

But now that you mention it, Maybe the SCD will have a second higher clocked Tegra that also uses Pascal as well as some additional faster RAM. Would SLi be a good combination in this case?

ggx2ac

Oh that's right. I wasn't thinking that they could just develop a new Tegra chip with a Pascal GPU housed in it. I was thinking it would be modified off the shelf Tegra in the handheld unit with an additional Pascal GPU in the SCD.

But now that you mention it, Maybe the SCD will have a second higher clocked Tegra that also uses Pascal as well as some additional faster RAM. Would SLi be a good combination in this case?

I don't know well about SLi or Crossfire etc.

If the SCD was using a higher clocked Tegra, maybe that would explain the so-called cheap cost of the NX? Maybe. (With regards to licensing fees if more Tegra units are being manufactured than normal. Mere speculation.)

Then maybe it could be roughly as powerful as a PS4. Contrast this to one of the guys a few pages earlier that wanted an AMD RX 480 in the SCD which meant it could be roughly the same power as the PS NEO.

AmyS

At least they're planning to announce it relatively close to release compared to before. I didn't pay attention to how the WiiU was, but announcing it E3 then saying nothing for a whole year? Ouch. I got my WiiU in 2014, which is arguably the best year for the system.

Yeah, the gap between Wii U reveal and release was 17 months: June 2011 ===> Nov 2012.

If NX is revealed in September and releases in March, its a 6 month gap.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think that it's possible that Nintendo would want to put some distance between Neo announcement and NX reveal simply to have a lot more media space, so I'm betting on the second half of September.

Roo

Thanks!

So all signs point to after the PS Neo announcement and before TGS begins. Which would put the NX reveal somewhere between September 7th and September 15th. Seems logical.

But we are dealing with Nintendo logic, so it will be the 22nd of September.
Monday 12th is a nice date imo.
Has enough room to breathe betwen the PlayStation event and TGS.

I agree with Eolz. Revealing it after TGS would be stupid.

ggx2ac

If there was supposedly no NX units at TGS, the best that third parties can do is show footage of their titles. Although that would still rely on Nintendo revealing the NX first.

Edit: Scratch the second sentence.

_____

Trivia: (I saw someone say this) Don't bother predicting that the NX name will be revealed as Nexus, Google has the trademark on that.
(Unless there's some kind of loophole around that by adding another word, "something"-Nexus.)

Congrats!!

I don't believe this thread has 100+ pages

*Gasp*

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
3rd partys can talk and announce freely at TGS if it's revealed beforehand. So it's pretty much a given imo that it will be revealed before TGS.

Companies releasing NX titles will be.

Nintendo seems to be a bit more liberal with announcements of NX version, so I donlt think the NX reveal after TGS would stop such announcements.

Unless you expect the companies to show already NX version on NX hardware, which in my opinion will not happen either way.

MDave

Asking for Nintendo to reveal it ASAP will give us more questions and wild speculation then answers when they show games, but don't say what chips are powering it. :p Can already picture the pixel counting from blurry video footage to try to figure out screen resolution and all that, hah.

Asking for Nintendo to reveal it ASAP will give us more questions and wild speculation then answers when they show games, but don't say what chips are powering it. :p Can already picture the pixel counting from blurry video footage to try to figure out screen resolution and all that, hah.

Nintendo gave the 3DS resolution.

Thraktor

Probably because we could already count the pixels ourselves from screenshots/video ;) but did they say anything about the innards?

I'm pretty sure they announced that it used a DMP Pica200 right away. At the very least, Nintendo have always announced who they've partnered with for CPU and graphics hardware.

LordRaptor

Nintendo are literally never going to come out and say "this is an xxx chipset running at yyy Tflops with a theoretical max fillrate of zzz".
That's not the sort of business they're in, even if some of their direct competitors are.

wazoo

3rd partys can talk and announce freely at TGS if it's revealed beforehand. So it's pretty much a given imo that it will be revealed before TGS.

TGS is not E3. Vaporware and unfinished game can be presented but this is not the norm.

TGS is for japanese gamers trying games they will buy this christmas.

TGS is not E3. Vaporware and unfinished game can be presented but this is not the norm.

TGS is for japanese gamers trying games they will buy this christmas.

The norm has nothing to do with it, nobody is saying NX games will be the majority

Having said that, I don't think there's any chance of hands on demos at tgs, only some trailers/announcements.

wazoo

It would be good to have NX presence at TGS because attendees are devoted gamers. And Nintendo would be inspired to make them remember they exist.

Still, it makes too much sense, so I think Nintendo will prevent anyone to show anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom